PS4 Update 4.50 Finally Adds External Hard Drive Support

The long international nightmare is over.

News by Mike Williams, .

Today, Sony Computer Entertainment announced that PlayStation 4 Update 4.50 was on the horizon. The update is currently rolling out to beta program participants. The big cause for celebration is that external hard drive support is coming to PlayStation 4! This is one of the bigger problems the system has had, especially in an era of extensive digital gaming.

Niccccccceeeeeeee.

"With this update, you have the option to store content to an external HDD. Just plug a USB 3.0 HDD into your PS4, and voilĂ , you now have more space on the console. This is compatible with HDDs up to 8TB in size. You can download and install applications directly to your extra storage, and the saved contents are easily manageable through the settings menu," said SCEA vice president of PlayStation brand marketing John Koller.

8TB? We'll never go hungry again. This is a great addition to the system and it should allow people to move P.T. to an archive drive and free up space on their PS4s.

The patch includes a refresh of the Quick Menu reintroduced in the last patch, offering improves to make it more accessible. There's a new Notification list for downloads, installations, friend requests, and more. PlayStation VR gets 3D Blu-Ray support, so you can watch 3D movies on the headset. Finally, custom wallpapers! I'm sure there are people who are very happy about that.

Very nice. Now if I could just download my games to that drive on a PC instead of lugging my system to work to get decent Internet!
    To be fair, Sony makes swapping the internal HDD on a PS4 pretty painless. I switched to a 2TB internal hard drive and I haven't run short on space so far. (I'm also not reviewing games for a website though.)
    This is awesome. I burned through my 500 gb incredibly quickly. Like shockingly fast. Who knew DOOM would be 75 gb?! The original game required 140 mb of space. Just let that sink in for a minute.
    I never thought I would say 500 gb is too small.
    @LK4O4 Painless? Make sure you bought a new PS4 first! I'm not backing up my data or redownloading stuff!
  • Avatar for BigPrimeNumbers #5 BigPrimeNumbers 4 months ago
    External drive is support is great! I finally won't have to constantly delete things from my internal drive! That, and Eurogamer is reporting that there appears to be an option to run older, unpatched PS4 games with extra power on PS4 Pro for better framerates, consistency, etc. This is turning out to be a killer update :)Edited 3 times. Last edited February 2017 by BigPrimeNumbers
    @sylvan But the average hard drive size from 93-94 was about 500mb.
  • Avatar for SuperShinobi #7 SuperShinobi 4 months ago
    I find installing a larger internal hard drive a better and more elegant solution. I haven't ever used an external hard drive with a console.
    At least as importantly, it looks like (for the Pro) it also has BOOST MODE!

Comments