Reaction: This Was Pretty Much the Switch's Worst Case Scenario

But Mario and Zelda sure look great.

Article by Kat Bailey, .

The first sign of trouble was the price point.

With analysts suggesting that the Switch should sell for as low as $200 at launch, the announcement that it would cost $299 was a bit of a kick in the teeth. At that price, it will effectively match the PlayStation 4 Slim—a likely more powerful console with a mature library and more support. In short, it's too much for what will probably be an accessory console.

Images like this were the order of the day for the first half of the presentation.

From there, the hype was let out of the Switch like a slowly deflating balloon as Nintendo went full 2006 in its presentation of the Switch's motion controls. Nintendo, it seems, is determined to recapture some of the magic (and accompanying sales numbers) of the Nintendo Wii with more mature technology. But will games like Arms, a boxing titles, and the cutesy 1-2 Switch capture people's attention in the same fashion as Wii Sports? It's tough to imagine.

Things picked up when Nintendo shifted to highlighting their first-party offerings. Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 were clear wins, but the best of them was clearly Super Mario Odyssey—a true 3D Mario game in the vein of Super Mario Sunshine and Galaxy. With all due respect to New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 3D World, this is the real deal. And with "New Donk City" already a borderline meme on Twitter, it's guaranteed to be at the forefront of a lot of the conversation surrounding the Switch through the holidays.

Mario Odyssey looks amazing.

The same can be said for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which closed out the show with an absolute killer final trailer and the announcement that it would be out March 3rd. Coming on the heels of a mostly disappointing third-party reveal (Skyrim! EA vaguely testing the waters with FIFA! Sega kind of mumbling in the shadows!), it did more than anything to restore faith in the Switch as a console worth owning from the outset. No wonder Nintendo was in such a rush to get it out the door in time for launch.

Strong as Zelda looked, though, the presentation felt like a net loss for Nintendo. Much of it came off more as an investor pitch than a presentation—the product of bored-sounding and occasionally overmatched translators. Shorn of the slick editing that typically accompanies Nintendo Directs, it often felt slow. For Nintendo, the loss of Satoru Iwata feels keener than ever, as he was a naturally gifted salesman in addition to his many other talents.

Nintendo Switch's Hybrid Nature: Some of the Strengths, All of the Weaknesses?

The divide between portable and home is there because each side has different considerations. Can Nintendo bridge the gap?

And yet, the Switch's big reveal was Nintendo through and through. It focused hard on weirdo casual games like Arms, then left Ultra Street Fighter II for the sizzle reel. It briefly detailed the online service, but neglected to mention that subscribers would purportedly receive a free monthly download of an NES or SNES game. And that the SNES games will apparently have online play (!?)

The impression that was left by the presentation was of a too-expensive gimmick of a console with a tiny launch lineup, scant third-party support (don't expect SMT and Project Octopath Travelers until like 2019, kids) and terrible battery life (2.5 to maybe 6 hours isn't enough, sorry). Let's be really honest with ourselves: Outside of Zelda and Mario, it wasn't great. Nintendo did little to sell the Switch's long-term prospects outside of its usual array of first-party games. It's tough to imagine a worse follow-up to last year's outstanding reveal.

So now what?

The natural reaction to the people who are panicking is to say, "Well, so what? It's going to sell out on March 3rd. It's going to have Zelda to carry it until summer, when Splatoon will arrive. Mario Kart 8 will be on it. Mario Odyssey is in the fall. The faithful will be waiting in line for it. The Switch is all about its first-party support."

I don't doubt that there will be long lines and sellouts on March 3rd, especially with an (amazing looking) new Zelda to buoy the Switch. But as a Nintendo fan, I'm once again left with the gnawing fear that there just won't be enough games for the thing. One has to wonder where the indie support in particular was for the Switch.

As always, Nintendo is going to Nintendo, which is to say that they will do things their own way, as they have the past decade or so. In that regard they've had their successes (the DS, the Wii, Splatoon) and their failures (the Wii U), and it's too soon to say where the Switch will fall. But in their big global debut of the Switch, Nintendo failed to tick many of the boxes that analysts said they had to have: the price, the battery life, and the games. In that, Nintendo's Switch presentation was as bad as could have been imagined.

Thankfully, presentations aren't everything, and all will temporarily be forgiven once Zelda blows the doors off in March. But in the first test of what will be a new era for Nintendo, they scored a C-minus at best. If they want to avoid another Wii U, they'll have to do much better going forward.

Okay, sure, I hear you, but on the other hand MARIO'S HAT HAS EYES THINK OF THE IMPLICATIONS
    Yeah, this was rough. The Joycons are interesting for sure and I'm sure a lot of games will use them creatively, but leading with the controllers was ... weird. And it just kinda went downhill from there. Forget the games, even - the presentation was stilted and low-energy. Basically the exact opposite of the reveal trailer.

And it's mystifying why so many game announcements - Street Fighter II, Sonic Mania, a new Bomberman, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Binding of Isaac - weren't given more time in the presentation than a sizzle reel.

It seemed like a long presentation to convey not a lot. What about the UI? Virtual Console? What, exactly, are actually the launch games?

Don't get me wrong, a lot looked good and this is still salvageable. But this was not a good impression.
    I liked everything but the price. But Switch has a long way to go for mainstream success.
    @TrueNerd Also, Bowser throws HIS hat at Mario. HAT BATTLE!!!!
    If it didn't have Zelda, that launch would be a disaster. Wii Sports: Now With No Miis and what else? Nothing? It needed either Mario or Zelda and apparently Mario is a long ways off.
    I saw a sequel for Xenoblade Chronicles and yelled in my house. I did not see that coming and I am all the happier for it.
    @Roto13 Holiday, actually.
    I'm sure I saw F-Zero in the sizzle reel, so that's.. a thing.
    My reaction was much the same, though my disappointment was less keen - mainly because I've been slowly losing interest in any Nintendo console over the past few years. But as a 3DS owner, it's a shame that the style of handheld game seems to have all but vanished. On the other hand, as an owner of Sony consoles, it's possible that Nintendo might have driven away some of the franchises they have locked up to other places. I mean, it's pretty doubtful, but I would surely love to be playing Monster Hunter in anything BUT my 3DS. I feel the same way about most 3DS games, really (Except Etrian Odyssey, which is a natural fit). The original was poorly designed and the XL, which I currently own, feels cumbersome.

There is one bright spot (that's irrelevant to someone like me with zero intention of purchasing): region free! As someone living in Japan, I can say region locking was the first and most immediate obstacle to me ever purchasing a Wii U (or a New 3DS). Meanwhile, I've been enjoying a Japanese PS4 and Japanese Vita with no problems...
  • Avatar for damienolenick07 #11 damienolenick07 6 months ago
    to be fair you can only show so much in an hour presentation, alot of games have been announced after the presentation.
    I'm totally down to buy a Switch...in late 2018 or early 2019.
    Man, all I wanted to know was if I'd be able to DL Bayonetta and other Wii U games. We didn't even get to see soomething as simple as the UI. Well, I've got one secured. If nothing tickles me until launch, I can always scalp it. I hope it sells out to drive that price up. Yay kapitalism.Edited January 2017 by ojinnvoltz
  • Avatar for patrickchaffin87 #14 patrickchaffin87 6 months ago
    The JRPG section of the night got me interested at the very least. I'll probably have to pick it up for Xenoblade alone. Honestly, that's all that is keeping in the Nintendo circle, since they've killed off Metroid for all intents and purposes. I'd rather just play all those JRPGs on my PS4 and be done with Nintendo forever, but with Monolith being first party, that will never happen.

However, I have faith in Xenoblade being good, Octopath looks interesting (if far off), and it would be amazing to be able to have great SNES games like Super Metroid and Super Mario World on the go, so maybe I'll pick one up at some point.
    @pimento It was a Fast Racing NEO sequel.
  • Avatar for sketchlayerjosh #16 sketchlayerjosh 6 months ago
    Deleted January 2017 by sketchlayerjosh
    The presentation muddied the waters, for sure. And the pacing was off, as you say. But I'm still in. I hope we get lots of these local multiplayer games where you can just hand a JoyCon to a friend. Bomberman R looks great for that.
  • Avatar for livefromphilly #18 livefromphilly 6 months ago
    I can understand the disappointment. Outside of Zelda and Mario Kart there wasn't anything that I could see getting the system for. Even in the case of Mario Kart, which seems like it would be a ton of fun to take to a bar or a party, the price of the extra Joycons make it an expensive proposition.

All that said, I pre-ordered the system as soon as I saw a link. The Zelda trailer was that good.
  • Avatar for UnskippableCutscene #19 UnskippableCutscene 6 months ago
    You really want to waggle these controllers
    Remember how much you want to waggle these controllers
    It's really important, for the next segment of the show, that you remember how vital it is to have multiple controllers and waggle them with friends.
    Multi-controller friend waggling is what fun looks like. Keep this in mind.

Okay. So.... Controllers are $80 for a 2-pack, the Pro Controller is $70, and online has a fee.
    I will admit that the whole presentation seemed weak compared to previous Nintendo Directs, but for me, it did the job - I'm very excited about the Switch and I'm actually going to do something I've never done before in my 30 years of gaming: Preorder a console at launch.

I'm hoping more games get revealed for the launch lineup. Even with Zelda, the launch lineup is kind of... crappy.
    It's not THAT BAD. At least we get a new SMT game and a new No More Heroes game.
    There was stuff that excited me -- Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade 2, new Shin Megami Tensei -- but nothing that said that I need to buy a Switch until towards the end of 2017. I can play Zelda on my Wii U, and Mario Kart 8 is a port of an amazing game, but still a port.

All that being said, I did grab myself a pre-order. I can't say if I'll keep it, but whatever.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #23 donkeyintheforest 6 months ago
    I can see things like johann Sebastian joust (ala 1-2-switch) potentially being great board game/toy equivalents; no tv needed. Hopefully they'll try lots of fun things with the gimmicks.

Also there's trailers of games like the sanic fan compilation, Puyo Tetris, and (since 8 systems can connect) bomberman! They're on the official Nintendo YouTube. So it's not like there won't be more stuff, they just filled up the hour with the presentation without em.
  • Avatar for I-m-not-Daredevil #24 I-m-not-Daredevil 6 months ago
    Yip, that was about as bad as I'd feared and not nearly as good as I'd hoped. Mario and Zelda look stunning though :)
    I thought the Switch reveal had a few neat things, but nothing particularly system sell-y for me. Out of the three games that interest me most, one I can get on Wii U, one reminds me I still need to finish Xenoblade Chronicles and play X, and one's a pretty cool Mario game.

I'm really not surprised by the Switch costing $300. I know many people will see it as too high a price point, but that system-to-portable tech and the snap-on controller bits, that stuff probably ain't cheap to make.
    I'm very surprised Mario isn't a launch title, that was heavily rumoured to be ready to go for the Switch's launch. This definitely explains why Nintendo Japan have overridden Nintendo Europe and told them to hurry up translating Breath of the Wild- it's their only big-name launch title. I wonder if the Wii U version will be delayed in order to get the Switch version done in time?

I definitely agree this was the worst case scenario. Overpriced and lacking in killer apps. The annoyance here is Nintendo seem to be rushing to market, they should have waited for later in the year for Mario and a few other titles to be ready. They could have bumped the specs to the Switch too, instead of the outdated Tegra they're using.

And where's the GameCube Virtual Console?Edited January 2017 by photoboy
  • Avatar for JinjoHayabusa #28 JinjoHayabusa 6 months ago
    Honestly, I liked the presentation and I was excited until I went online to see everyone's reactions, and then I was like, Oh yeah, you've got a point.
    Feels very WiiU-ish to me right now. I was hopeful that Nintendo finally "gets it," but it doesn't seem like they do yet.
    The thinness of the launch library is especially damning. And it's confusing, too, given that this is a hybrid console. If the Switch is Nintendo's effort to consolidate all their game development efforts toward one console, you would think that they would have more games immediately available for it.
    I'm also disappointed that so many questions were left unanswered. We want to know how powerful it is, what's under the hood, what the video output will be, what the UI will look like, what the eShop will look like, what game cartridges will look like, how big the hard drive will be, if we'll have to re-buy all our VC games. I wish they had spent their time focusing on answering the obvious questions instead of showing us stuff we don't care about like 1-2 Switch.Edited January 2017 by JinjoHayabusa
  • Avatar for UnskippableCutscene #29 UnskippableCutscene 6 months ago
    @photoboy GameCube used a PowerPC processor. So, remember how running MacOS on a PC was practically impossible until Apple ditched PPC and launched OSX for x86?
    Sigh… Ok, let’s talk about the positives first:

On one hand, I do like the Switch itself, it has all the functionality that I expected based on the reports from the patents and I just love its central concept. I also love the Joycons, I think they are a fantastic successor for the Wii remote. Granted, I get the vast majority of so called “hardcore” gamers are allergic to the mere idea of motion controllers, but I did enjoy many games that used them back during the Wii heyday and I’m eager to see what Nintendo’s teams are going to do with them now that they have better technology. Granted, I don’t care one iota about 1-2 Switch, but Arms on the other hand looks fantastic and I’m eager to play it.

For that matter, it has to be said: The majority of 1st party games that they showed looked great. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are quite compelling reasons for me to buy the console during its first year. The last trailer from Zelda actually had me shouting in joy.

Also, as counterintuitive as it might sound, I’m actually glad that they are introducing a paid online service if only because it might mean that they will finally (finally!) take online gaming and online services seriously and have a proper infrastructure to support them.

On the negative side... well, not going to sugarcoat it: Just as the article states, I think Nintendo ultimately screwed up in all the critical aspects that were going to make or break the console. The price of the Switch is just too high, the battery life is abysmal and, outside of Zelda, the launch line-up is just dull.

For that matter, 3rd party support isn’t great either, but it falls pretty much on what I expected since the reveal of the console: Most of the support coming from Japanese and indie developers, with the big Western publishers merely testing the waters with some ports of sports games, family friendly games and older games. Even then, the support coming from some of the Japanese developers looks quite paltry: The pledged games from Sega, Konami and Capcom for the Switch are a remix of old Sonic games, a crossover of Tetris with Puyo Puyo, a new Bomberman game, and (of all things) a new version of Street Fighter II (I mean, seriously?!).

You also don’t get the feeling (based on the current release schedule at least) that Nintendo will be able to properly support the console with a continuous stream of games, something especially disappointing considering that was the primary purpose of merging their hardware lines in the first place.

Now, don’t misunderstand me, I’m a Nintendo fan, I will continue supporting their products and I’m definitely buying a Switch as soon as it’s financially possible for me. But as things stand, and unless Nintendo shows something mind-blowing in the coming months, I honestly don’t see the Switch faring any better than the Wii U did. I expect the most hardcore Nintendo enthusiast to buy one, but not anyone else. I would love to be proven wrong, of course, but right now, I can’t help it but feel that if the Wii U was their Saturn, the Switch is ultimately going to be their Dreamcast.
    The presentation was poor, the list of games that has emerged since (and is growing) is more promising. For me, this is closer to 3DS 2011 than Wii U 2012. Nintendo are charging premiums for their brands (especially Splatoon, Zelda, Mario Kart) thinking that they can cash in on the popularity of those brands, ignoring that a big part of Nintendo's popularity since day one has been affordability for family orientated gaming. Add to that the baffling decision to not bundle 1-2 Switch in the box, and Nintendo have put obstacles in front of themselves that they'll have to work hard to clear. If the 2 million shipment is true, then that's 2 million units globally for the entire month of March. If past console launches are anything to go by, the small launch line-up won't matter, because the most hotly anticipated Nintendo title for a decade is hitting Switch on the same day.

I absolutely agree that Nintendo have sabotaged themselves here, but they have time to recover from this stumble. The Treehouse stream is yet to come, the machine still has two months to go before launch, and three months after launch E3 comes around. It says everything about how poor Nintendo's presentation was that a Sega executive can come on stage and announce "We're thinking about making games for this device in the future" when in reality, Sega have three games hitting Switch this year, one of them (Sonic Mania) this year. How different would things be if Nintendo had someone from Square Enix on stage saying: "We've got six games coming to Switch, including the latest entry in our beloved Dragon Quest series, and a new IP from the developers of Bravely Default!" Those half dozen Squeenix titles are there in the Switch line up, and it looks like five of them are coming this year, with I am Setsuna coming around launch. That's a much stronger impression than "Maybe games???" from Sega, who in actuality, are developing and releasing Switch games starting in March!

On top of that, Nintendo said nothing about indie support (a number of titles confirmed) or Virtual Console (GameCube support, Mother 3 rumoured). And the biggest rumour, which has come from the most reliable support, is that Pokemon Stars is coming at the end of the year. It doesn't make sense to cut the legs out from under Sun/Moon and announce Stars 2 months after the first versions launch, but it will make sense to announce it at E3, when early adopters and potential Switch buyers will be thinking, "Ok, what's next?"

I think, in all honesty, price is now the biggest hurdle. Nintendo have Zelda at launch, Mario Kart the month after, Splatoon in Summer, a mixture of third party support from indies, Japanese publishers and some Western support, and, potentially, the one-two of Mario Odyssey and Pokemon Stars at Christmas. Switch in 2017 becomes a very, very different kettle of fish if Pokemon Stars is real. Then consider we only have confirmation of 8 Nintendo published titles on the first system to benefit from their combined development sources, one of which is being developed by Tecmo (Fire Emblem Warriors).

Finally, there's one more reason I think Switch will be very different to Wii U: Switch is the successor to 3DS and Wii U, and while Nintendo allowed Wii U to fail, they did not allow 3DS to fail. When 3DS faltered, Nintendo cut the price by 1/3, commissioned new first party games (like Fire Emblem: Awakening), secured Monster Hunter 3U and 4 from Capcom, and brought forward their two big blockbusters: 3D Land and Kart 7. Nintendo have bet the farm on Switch combining their portable and home audiences, and I fully expect if Switch struggles in the April/May/June quarter, a price cut will come in July alongside Splatoon 2. Switch can--if Nintendo choose--look like a completely proposition within 3 or 4 months of launch, if they need to hack away at the price and once E3 is out the way. That post-launch quarter could be very, very tough, however.

For me, price is the biggest issue, but it's also one that will take Nintendo the least amount of time to rectify. 3DS at launch was an under-featured, under-supported, over-priced console with a relatively meaningless headline feature. By Christmas 2011 it was £50 cheaper and had some incredible games available. Switch has very similar problems, but it does have the benefit of being a more versatile system. If Pokemon Stars is real, I think Switch in 2017 is a very, very different ballgame.
    I'll be really surprised if this system doesn't fail. The games situation is the exact same as the Wii U; one new game a quarter or less. Zelda looks good, but I've got a Wii U so why would I pay £279 to play one game I could play for £40 on a system I already have?

I don't even know if I can say I am a Nintendo fanboy anymore, which makes me sad more than anything else
    Then again, hardly anybody owns a Wii U, so that isn't a big detraction for them. Still wish they could have more games for people who do
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #34 VotesForCows 6 months ago
    Frustrating. Once again they've NEARLY released a great console. But not quite. I'll probably pick one up in a year, but this has been really disappointing. No reason to get it at launch.
    Yeah, if the JoyCons weren't that sophisticated, I could stomach this. But It's $300, with too advanced tech that Nintendo won't even bother with after year one. Lots of good games, but now I REGRET not buying a PS4 during Christmas.
    I watched it again just to be sure, but I think that Breath of the Wild might be the single best trailer I've ever seen. The Switch is going to be exactly what I expected: the Wii + a smattering of 3rd party offerings from those companies who typically supported Nintendo handhelds like Atlus and Square Enix. And that's fine.

I preordered at Best Buy to be on the safe side, but I'd be perfectly fine with waiting until Christmas and getting the system along with Zelda, Mario Kart Deluxe, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey too.

Can't wait for the avalanche of US games journalist "think pieces" decrying the lack of indies and western 3rd party support beginning today...
  • Avatar for ChairmanYang #37 ChairmanYang 6 months ago
    The Switch presentation was so bad that, no joke, it made me feel better about my Wii U. I was originally holding off on buying the Wii U Splatoon, Zelda, and Mario Maker, in the hopes of getting enhanced Switch versions, but now it looks like I won't bother with a Switch until it's near its end-of-life (which, who knows, might be in 2019 or so). And hey, I won't have to pay to play online!
    For what it's worth - here's my take.

It's going to be a rough start, given price and weak lineup - only really two system sellers, barring a crossover hit with the launch party game, which I think is unlikely.

I reckon this goes one of two ways. Follows the Wii U pattern - focusing of inhouse development teams on one platform doesn't deliver because of expectations of 'bigger/triple a' games from consumers - time consuming to develop so the first/send party quantity isn't there. Third parties non-existent and Nintendo as a hardware developer goes way of the dodo.

Or, it could be like the 3DS. Tent poles (Mario, pokemon) supported by a rich mid-tier from the likes of Sega/atlas, square-Enix, and indies, as well as some of the vita developers switching over.

I think the less bespoke architecture could help here, and even in the launch window were going to be seeing some decent looking mid tier games. So my money is on the latter. At least I hope!
    Nintendo best talk with Microsoft soon on damage repair for a failed launch game console! A C- according to the editor of this thread on the first showing of the Switch is not a good feeling. Especially since Nintendo is coming from a Wii U failure the last 4-5 years! Saturo Iwata was a fine gentleman, salesman, head man at Nintendo and gamer! His absence of course is noticeable. He took a pay cut when the Wii U stopped making Nintendo profits! Should this Switch console be the identical twin of a failure like the Wii U. Nintendo should wrap it up and just stick to making card games and video games. Without Saturo Nintendo seems to have lost their way. Switch cannot fail or consumers will lose all hope in Nintendo like I have. The underpowered issue with the switch like the Wii U is what bothers me. Nintendo can do better far better, but they don't! I'm sticking Microsoft waiting for the Scorpio meanwhile with my Xbox One S! Good luck Big N......your going to need it! Especially since no mention of Metroid or Pokemon games soon for the Switch, lame, very lame!
    @touchofkiel while we've got region free, we don't yet know how region free it is for the increasingly important part, the eshop...

As in, is this a PS4 situation, where one console has multiple accounts, and each can be a different region for the eshop?

Is this the EU 3DS situation where on visiting the eshop you can choose your region, and then are locked by your nintendo ID once you confirm it?

Is this a Vita situation where a simple factory reset lets you chance eshop region?

Is this a weird and unique situation where since in 3DS games you buy DLC in game, that each game sends you to the region appropriate eshop based on the game card and you buy from the right place, and then one of the other options for the eshop for buying full games themselves?

So many ways for this to pan out for those who really need that region free a bit more than most people.
  • Avatar for FabricatedReality #41 FabricatedReality 6 months ago
    "Analysts"? A 4 year old 3DS is going for $200 right now with this months away. $300 is perfectly fine with me as a consumer. At $200 I would be questioning the system.Edited January 2017 by FabricatedReality
    I've got mixed feelings...

However, I feel IF nintendo can actually nail the promise of 1 2 Switch, and other devs really go at it... there is a good chance nintendo could pull off a bring to pub for you and your mates at the table version of the wii sports phenomenon.

Battery life is a shame, but with powerbanks becoming an increasing staple of what everyone packs... maybe now is the time you can truly get away with that... You can bet nyko will be there day 1 with a battery solution though. Most likely a combined grip and back plate for the whole thing.

I'm really shocked they don't have more though... Like a few said, this is supposed to be the merging of both their handheld and console offence, and what we've seen is poorish for a launch of either...

However, last time nintendo launched with a zelda it worked... so... lets see how that works out for them...
    I just can't make any sense of it. I've been looking forward to this reveal for, what, close to 2 years? My hype was particularly pronounced seeing as Nintendo has barely released any games in those 2 years. 2016 for U had Paper Mario and Star Fox, both of which were B list at best, and the 3DS was mostly buoyed by third parties. In fact now that I think about it, what did they really even have for 3DS beyond Kirby Robobot (which was good, but still, B list)? Given this lack of games I thought it was all hands on deck at Nintendo in prep for the Switch, and they were going to come out swinging. Not to mention the fact that time and again everyone and their grandmother has pointed out the fact that U and 3DS had rough starts due to a WEAK LAUNCH LINE UP. Zelda looks incredible beyond words, granted, but even that Mario slightly turned me off a bit. Someone posted a picture of Sonic from the first Adventure game standing in a city with real people and compared it to this Mario...it's a sight I now can't unsee.
  • Avatar for evarofzentral #44 evarofzentral 6 months ago
    Sadly the lack of games at launch made me decide not to pre-order. I didn't mind the price (although the controllers are a bit steep), but it seems bizarre to me that Nintendo didn't wait at least a couple of months longer so that there'd be a stronger launch lineup. If Nintendo had launched the Switch in May with say Zelda, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 as launch titles I think the reaction would have been quite different. I will probably buy a Switch eventually, but given how many other games are coming out early this year I think I'll wait and see.
  • Avatar for DemiurgicSoul #45 DemiurgicSoul 6 months ago
    It seems like Nintendo are maybe just throwing this thing out the door as soon as possible, so maybe that's why there doesn't seem to be a lot of games to show off. Most of what we saw were probably Wii U games that were shifted to Switch.

It'll make for a light launch, but hopefully the 3rd parties will come. Maybe around E3 there will be more to show. As for the conference, it was stuffy and mostly boring. Just pretty bad overall. It had absolutely no energy or showmanship, which sucked all the excitement out of the reveal.Edited January 2017 by DemiurgicSoul
    In a perfect world of unlimited money and no time constraints I'd be happy to throw down $350 for Zelda, the game has me hype THAT much. Then I think about all the other games I'll be playing in 2017, Horizon, Persona 5, games I've missed like FF15... then suddenly I'm having a hard time justifying a purchase right now. The only other game I'm interested in would be Mario and SMT which aren't coming out any time soon.

It's weird, I went in excited, then remembered to lower my expectations, and I still ultimately feel underwhelmed.

Honestly the $300 price wouldn't bother me if there were anything else to be excited about, but that's just an expensive paper weight once I'm done with Zelda. Sometimes I'd wish Nintendo would take a chance on some lower budget games like 2D Metroid or Advance Wars again. Man, this just makes me sad.
    I'll get one! ...later...
    I was mostly happy to know I can play Zelda on the Wii U soon.
    So their presentation got me excited to use a console I already own. Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii....
  • Avatar for matthewcooley77 #48 matthewcooley77 6 months ago
    $300 is high, and the extra controllers are too expensive...

But $300 is not high for what appears to be a pretty good tablet. If the browser is good, and its got YouTube and Netflix (w/ downloadable movies!). Is there any reason FB and Instagram can't have Switch apps?

Maybe we should see this less a successor to the Wii that is competing against the PS4, and more a successor to the Gameboy/DS that is competing against tablets and phones.

I would not be shocked if within a year they are releasing cellular/phone-enabled versions in Japan.
  • Avatar for matthewcooley77 #49 matthewcooley77 6 months ago
    @FabricatedReality this is my thought. The PS4 has sold 50 million units. The 3DS has sold 62 million units (DS 150 million!).

Nintendo's bread is buttered by the handheld market, which has been under siege by tablets and phones for years now. This is a device that competes directly with iPads.
    32GB internal memory. Fuck. Me. Again.
    There are definitely some games they showed that I'll grab a system for, like Mario, Ultra SF2, Xenoblade 2, and even Arms looks pretty fun... but yeah, the thin launch lineup plants this as a "get it sometime this year" platform rather than day one. I'm also not super thrilled about the price, and this attitude may change when I get to try it, but at this point it looks cool but not earth-shattering.

Battery life is less of a concern for me just because of how rarely I'm playing games on the go nowadays, but I wouldn't be surprised if they sell a high-capacity battery on their online store, like they do for Wii U.
  • Avatar for joevanderbosch27 #52 joevanderbosch27 6 months ago
    Wow, clickbait at its finest here. Almost everyone else is lauding the Switch, but not here. You guys have to be different to get that desperate traffic you so desire.
    Another Wii U response from me... I'll wait until enough "must have" titles are out there until jumping in.

Coincidentally, I'm still waiting to buy a Wii U.
    Anticipating a pretty fast price-drop: making as much money as they can on pre-orders, then down to $249.99 for holiday season & Mario Odyssey
  • Avatar for Mikki-Saturn #55 Mikki-Saturn 6 months ago
    I mean, as somebody who is already a Nintendo fan I was onboard with pretty much everything I saw there. I'm pleased with the JRPGs, in particular, and I'm SUPER excited for the new Mario. I was hoping to hear a bit more about third party support and what sort of first party games Nintendo had up its sleeve. I had pretty big expectations on that front since 2016 had been such a light year. But what they showed, I liked - even 1-2 Switch, which I thought looked like a possibly interesting party game.

But I still kept thinking, "What is the selling point for normal consumers?" As someone who bought a Wii-U on launch day I am not the audience Nintendo needs to convince. What about all the people who are already skeptical of Nintendo? What about all the people (I know a couple myself) who bought a Wii-U and felt burned by it? They will not even match the Wii-Us performance if they can't convince people that this is going to be very different.

I'm not convinced that there's a problem with the Switch. I think people were being unrealistic on the price. I mean, a 720p touch screen tablet that can seamlessly "switch" between outputting to a TV and operating as a handheld, with detachable controller pieces with enough power to run essentially contemporary games, such as Skyrim, and people thought this was a $200 device? I don't understand that. But anyway, where Nintendo DOES have a problem is with messaging - and, incredibly, with game releases, or lack there of. Last night was not the time to be coy - last night was the time to wow everyone with a shock and awe campaign of amazing releases. Well, they did that a little, but not nearly to the degree that I expected and incredibly they actually held back on some stuff, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. One is left to wonder, "Is this all they have?" in which case, sound the alarms. Or, did they save some bombshells possibly even for today, with the Treehouse events - in which case fire your marketing team!

All in all, I don't know that I would agree that it was the worst case scenario, but I suspect this presentation did not do much to get fence sitters on board. Rather the opposite actually, and in that sense it was a step backwards.
    My main question. If Nintendo supposedly merged development teams to help relieve the software droughts, where are the games? There has been minimal software for the last year plus on both systems and they showed off essentially 3 ports and 2 new first party games. Seems like they are straining to develop or just want to wait to announce games throughout the year.
  • Avatar for matthewcooley77 #57 matthewcooley77 6 months ago
    @joevanderbosch27 I'm excited for it and plan to preorder (after skipping the Wii U), but every game site I've seen has had the same reaction about the pricing and thin launch lineup. Not that the Switch wont/cant be a hit, but these are legit disappointments.
    I wouldn't say worst-case, unless the games turn out to cost $80 apiece. But yeah, this is pretty bad. Not just wait-for-a-price-drop bad, but wait-for-a-hardware-refresh bad.

A hybrid console/handheld is a great idea, but this is neither fish nor fowl; it's too underpowered for a console, its battery life is far too poor for a handheld, and it's at a price point where Nintendo had better hope that nobody realizes that for $50 more they could buy a PS4 and a 2DS.

Or maybe that's why the 2DS got so hard to find anywhere all of a sudden.Edited January 2017 by Thad
  • Avatar for matthewcooley77 #59 matthewcooley77 6 months ago
    @Mikki-Saturn the high price of the extra controllers is a problem. People can talk about the tech all they want, but if you're a parent looking at a $400+ price tag (w/ tax) to get the base machine with a second controller before you get any games, that is more than just a messaging problem, especially 2 months after Christmas. I say this as someone excited for the machine and planning to preorder.

Yes you can probably play two player on TV by splitting that into the mini controllers, but that is not going to cut it for most kids wanting to play Splatoon or Mario Kart.
  • Avatar for matthewcooley77 #60 matthewcooley77 6 months ago
    Deleted January 2017 by matthewcooley77
  • Avatar for matthewcooley77 #61 matthewcooley77 6 months ago
    Deleted January 2017 by matthewcooley77
    "Outside of Zelda and Mario, it wasn't great." I think this is absolutely ridiculous.
  • Avatar for siamesegiant #63 siamesegiant 6 months ago
    @pimento It was Redout. Which isn't a bad substitute I suppose.
    Whoa people are complaint about the controllers but when the PS4 launched controllers were 60 bucks for a while.

As for the joycons, weren't extra Wiimotes 39.99 a piece? These are 40 a piece too, or 70 for a dual pack?

So prices are on par except for the Pro Controller which is 10 bucks more than the dual shock.
  • Avatar for metal_maniac #65 metal_maniac 6 months ago
    I'll buy it for Mario and Zelda alone. Then, after it fails and nintendo bails out of the hardware-business, I'll jailbreak it and play use it for emulators.
  • Avatar for metal_maniac #66 metal_maniac 6 months ago
    @Stealth20k I actually thought the presentation was more than adequate. The machine looks really promising...it's like one of those gadgets I cannot wait to get my hands on.
  • Avatar for charliebennewitz99 #67 charliebennewitz99 6 months ago
    Can you sum up an 100-year-old company in eight words? Yes.

"Outside of Zelda and Mario, it wasn't great."
  • Avatar for mobilesworking #68 mobilesworking 6 months ago
    @Stealth20k I'm more aligned with Jeremy than Kat when it comes to the Switch's prospects, but perhaps you could engage with Kat's arguments. Why do you think her stance is ridiculous? What is your rebuttal?
  • Avatar for discohospital #69 discohospital 6 months ago
    Atlus (Japan) uploaded the SMT trailer to its YouTube channel after the presentation, but without any mention whatsoever of the Switch in the video itself or its title. I'd wager it will turn out to be cross-platform (Switch/PS4) whenever it arrives (which from the look of it won't be during the 25th anniversary year).
  • Avatar for TerryTrowbridge #70 TerryTrowbridge 6 months ago
    I agree with what you said. The FF game looked cool had an odd name, IMO. Won't the Switch have twice as many games as the Wii U or 3DS now that they are combining their pillars?
  • Avatar for ronnieclaytonbakerjr #71 ronnieclaytonbakerjr 6 months ago
    OH PLEASE.........300 dollars is not that much. I still remember the price of the 360 at launch. 300 is nothing to compare to it. Its still cheap compared to the competition. Hell 300 dollars is the same price as a decent PC. Whoever thinks 300 is so horribly expensive has no grasp on reality...
    The switch is $299.99 and the Xbox1 is $240, what is Nintendo thinking with their underpowered machine? And the games are $60??? Is Nintendo trying to recoup what they lost with the Wii U overnight with the Switch & games? Total fail Nintendo! Have a talk with Phil Spencer from Microsoft. Talk about how to rescue your game console from a failed launch!
  • Avatar for edwardwilliamkulesza #73 edwardwilliamkulesza 6 months ago
    I don't know what you guys are talking about! This thing looks amazing! I can't wait to get mine!
  • Avatar for AndreasStalin #74 AndreasStalin 6 months ago
    Who cares about the games I just want the hardware! Anyway looks like Sony is gonna dominate this generation, the Xbox one will be Microsoft's last console (probably) and Nintendo will be a niche product much like cheap Chinese android/windows game consoles. And boy am I really tired of Mario now, why in the world would I want a slightly overweight plumber starring in a game that looks like this (super Mario odyssey)? I think maybe Nintendo should stop caring about the home console marked for a bit and just focus its entire energy on its handheld division which is almost what they seem to be doing with the Switch. But yeah I really like the idea of the Switch but I think it needs a library at least as good as the Vita's to stay alive.
  • Avatar for chriswright52 #75 chriswright52 6 months ago
    I think I will switch (no pun intended)my attention to xbox and playstation for the moment. I did like zelda, xenoblade, and the Japanese rpg games, but I think I will wait this one out until it gets down to $199, it is to expensive for now, and the battery life sucks on the device, hopefully that will get fixed in later models, but meanwhile I am happy with my my wii u, xbox one, and playstation 4.
  • Avatar for yukinagato35 #76 yukinagato35 6 months ago
    Given the jokerly battery life, Switch reduces itself to just a home console with not much horse power and lineup. Just buy it for Mario and Zelda and let the two games split the cost, if that's fine with you.
  • Avatar for AndreasStalin #77 AndreasStalin 6 months ago
    @chriswright52 just out of curiosity, give me one good reason to own an Xbox one when I already have a PS4.
    Disappointing? In some ways, yes. "As bad as could be imagined?" Ridiculous.
  • Avatar for TerryDonnyJrSr #79 TerryDonnyJrSr 6 months ago
    I have 0 tolerance for motion controls at this point.
    @TerryDonnyJrSr Splatoon needs them. I mean, they don't, but gyro aiming is really the best way to play that game. I would have been upset, as well as most hardcore Splatoon fans, if that got left out. Also, motional controls are optional, not required. Developer has the say in that. It is just already built into the controller.
    I supported the Wii U and 3DS, but Nintendo's on its own with this one. It's too expensive and the technology is invested in all the wrong places. Whee, I can play rock-paper-scissors with a friend, because I certainly needed a game system for that! And while Mario in the real world is an amusing idea, I think Sonic beat him to the punch by about seventeen years. Pass.
    If the presentation is supposed to sell me on getting the system anytime soon they missed badly. Sure Zelda looks solid, but it's the only big thing between now and whenever Mario comes out, especially if I can play Zelda on the Wii U. Besides that SMT and Xenoblade were the most exciting things, and they're years out at this point (SMT whatever probably isn't exclusive either). Add paid online I can't justify buying (unless they're asking for drastically less than the competition) and anemic third-party support... feels like the Wii U all over again.

Edit: And whose idea was to lead off with motion control games?! I mean, I almost admire them saying "there's still things here to explore" but to lead with that after Wii U's mixed messaging--that's so bizarrely Nintendo.Edited January 2017 by TheWildCard
  • Avatar for Audie-Murphy #83 Audie-Murphy 6 months ago
    The presentation was completely Japanese, dry, efficient with no sound from the audience; but that's their culture. If it was made by Sony it would've put you to sleep and MS would've made it into the MTV Awards. The product looks very good, the price is a little high, the accesories are very high and the launch line-up is very weak, BUT it has the ability to be great. The Wii all but required you to play differently, the U put the second screen in your face but held you to about 10ft, but this puts the tools to play traditional and and unique games all in one. It has the hardware to support any Nintendo software, modern standard control layout, wii type motion, DS and U type touch-screen, 2 controllers that can act as NES/SNES for VC games and power at least equal to 360/PS3 in a portable format. This crying about the battery life seems petty too, if I can run it off a standard phone style usb I'm rarely out of reach of one. Not perfect and not presented in an American style, but far from a failure.
  • Avatar for Audie-Murphy #84 Audie-Murphy 6 months ago
    @Mikki-Saturn , my concern was the line-up. This thing would be the perfect platform for the kind of indie titles that are exploding on Steam, advanced 3DS ports and sequels, WiiU ports for those that never took the plunge and VC content. The point is N need to show their customers that this will have more content than in the past and we're at a perfect time to offer that without needing it to be all $100M, 4 yrs in development triple A stuff. Just a few years ago the competition needed a Halo or an Uncharted but right now people would be just as excited to see Inside or Firewatch at a fraction of the investment.
  • Avatar for Audie-Murphy #85 Audie-Murphy 6 months ago
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #86 SatelliteOfLove 6 months ago
    They MUST NOT have lulls for the first year or so. That ate into the N64 and Wii U like crazy, especially in the former's case. Against the behemoths that are the PS4, mobile, and PC (shush you who thinks they're correcting me), that will not fly.
  • Avatar for jessechenoweth73 #87 jessechenoweth73 6 months ago
    Soooo....whoever wrote this article completely forgot about the fact that this is going to Have Shin Megami Tensei ,Dragonquest XI, DragonQuest Heroes I and II, Disgaea 5, Street Fighter, Sonic, FIFA, RIME, Skyrim, and Fast racer neo?

Oh yeah, this console is being carried by first party support like the Wii-U was......no third party support what so ever...none...zero...not ONE single solitary gaming company not even remotely related to Nintendo making games for this console like the Wii-U was! ...not one! ....oh.....accept these guys I guess...but they all are shitty and suck ass and have never made a single note worthy video game in the history of video games so their names don't matter, never matter, nor will ever matter so you can just Ignore all of these 2 dollar game developers!

505 Games
    Activision Publishing, Inc.
    ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.
    ATLUS CO., LTD.
    BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
    Bethesda
    CAPCOM CO., LTD.
    Codemasters®
    Electronic Arts
    Epic Games Inc.
    FDG Entertainment
    FromSoftware, Inc.
    Frozenbyte
    GameTrust
    GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.
    Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.
    HAMSTER Corporation
    Image & Form
    INTI CREATES CO., LTD.
    KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.
    Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
    LEVEL-5 Inc.
    Marvelous Inc.
    Maximum Games, LLC
    Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
    Parity Bit Inc.
    PlatinumGames Inc.
    Playtonic Games
    SEGA Games Co., Ltd.
    Shin’en Multimedia
    Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.
    SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
    Starbreeze Studios
    Straight Right
    Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
    Tantalus
    Telltale Games
    THQ Nordic
    Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.
    TT Games
    UBISOFT
    Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
    Zoink!

Need I remind you that NIPPON ICHI...more than any other gaming company in the world has the worlds biggest love for Playstation. It took more than 10 years for them to port a single one of their games into a NON PLAYSTATION CONSOLE....and that was only VERY recently and it is not for a console, it is for the PC on steam! They are doing it again for Disgaea 2 at the end of this month! The Nintendo Switch made them Cream their pants so bad...SO BAD that they are releasing Disgaea 5 ported on it! NUMBER 5! as in a game they did not make more than 10 years ago and are just doing it to milk what last vestiges they can from it before no one anywhere will ever want it again? This means Disgaea 6 will be for both Playstation and the Switch if it does well enough on Switch! Along with other games they make! So yeah, Not one single third party devloper...not a single credible good one!

This console is going to be carried by Nintendo only and its first party titles.

Oh and they also forgot about no region locking....but that doesn't matter I guess.
    @jessechenoweth73 You're listing a lot of games that have no timeframe for release in the west. Shin Megami Tensei has barely started development. Dragon Quest Xi might not hit the west until 2018 at best. The list of publishers you post is nice, but a lot of them are only offering token support at best. I stand by my assertion that the third party support in the early going is weak, the price is too high, and the launch window is paltry.
  • Avatar for Whinybabyclub #89 Whinybabyclub 6 months ago
    I always see the defense that Nintendo isn't trying to compete with PS4 or X1, yet here we are with a $300 price tag, no bundled in game, a hilarious amount of storage, an online service in which you have to use your phone for voice chat, and the ridiculously overpriced controllers, or wii remote 3.0s, whatever they're calling it.

Calling the presentation bad just isn't enough. It's like we handed Nintendo a basketball and said "ok, the last few times I asked you to dribble it, you threw it in my face, this time I KNOW you can dribble it!" Nintendo throws the ball in our faces.
  • Avatar for Whinybabyclub #90 Whinybabyclub 6 months ago
    @jessechenoweth73 Nearly every one of those games you listed can be bought for pennies on better systems. No one cares that a nintendo system will FINALLY be able to play a 6 year old game. No region lock just means people in europe, canada, and australia aren't totally screwed on price if they can buy it from the US.
  • Avatar for jessechenoweth73 #91 jessechenoweth73 6 months ago
    @pimento fast racer neo actually.
    @Kat.Bailey you mean 'holiday, hopefully'. Although I'm sure Nintendo knows it's critical.
    Charging $200 would be stupid... For what??? Are you guys blind or something on what is happening to the NES Classic system or for any other system Nintendo released (besides the Wii U).

Let me give you a little help on this. Regardless whether they sell it for 200, 250 or 300, they are going to short sell them like they always do, scalpers are going to clean out the market, and place them on ebay for 3x+ the price. And you know what.... PEOPLE ARE GOING TO PAY THE PRICE THE SCALPERS ASK FOR.

Here is some advice. Hold off on the switch, wait until winter comes when they bundle it with Mario (not like 5 launch titles is a lot anyways) and purchase it then.
    What I find most interesting about the Switch is that Nintendo is really trying to sell the functionality, if not capability, of the hardware itself, while providing minimal software incentives. Their marketing message is clearly focusing on the Switch as a unique hardware experience with a premium price to match. The system is absolutely a marvel - only Nintendo would take an iPad, throw it into a dock, and then attach these crazy controller things to it! The packaging is also extremely premium and sexy - the minimization of the logo itself on all the box art says alot about their approach.

Having said all that, even though specs weren't revealed, we know that it's still going to be underpowered with tiny storage space compared to other consoles. How much can a game card fit? And why are the accessories so frickin' expensive?
  • Avatar for aaronzambrano41 #95 aaronzambrano41 6 months ago
    Mario Odyssey looks amazing in that picture? Looks like a closeup of Mario in the Crazy Taxi Universe with the old Crazy Taxi graphics. lol
  • Avatar for Ollie-In-Seattle #96 Ollie-In-Seattle 6 months ago
    Welcome to USgamer.

Here's the Code of Conduct: http://www.usgamer.net/conduct

This has been your warning.Edited January 2017 by MHWilliams
  • Avatar for randywilson91 #97 randywilson91 6 months ago
    Anyone who expects a new console for $200 knows nothing about the market or industry. Might as well wait for a $10K BMW while you're at it.

That said, the entire market for console gaming is shrinking, and the developers are taking more risks with less gain. We might have one more generation of traditional consoles left, then a switch to gaming services like Steam.
    @UnskippableCutscene There are already GameCube emulators available on the Nvidia Shield which has the same hardware as the Switch, so the Switch should be capable too.

Of course the Wii U could have run GC games in hardware but Nintendo never bothered releasing any on there preferring instead to leave the Wii U with no new games for months on end...
  • Avatar for jimmybrown16 #99 jimmybrown16 6 months ago
    You might be right about the price but Nintendo probably can't absorb the cost of providing hardware cheaper since it's not as big of a company as Sony or Microsoft. I'm sure it will have to get cheaper by next holiday season. I'm glad the Switch is coming out because it will offer new RPG games which is the only genre I like to play. And because hardware is different than anything else out there they won't simply be able to port over games already made for Xbox or Ps4. It will be mostly original exclusive games. Ps4 has put out quite of few half baked games lately and Xbox had simply cancelled exclusive games that were going to come out or postponed until 2017 so hopefully Nintendo has an opportunity to do better. We'll soon find out.
    1) The launch window games for a system do not matter. They literally matter so little, it is hard to think of anything that matters less when selling a system. Vita had a huge launch lineup, so did Wii U, failed. DS and 3DS had shitty launches, succeeded.

2) Japanese third parties showed they are all on board, looks really good, like the 3DS.

3) Nintendo, by the end of 2017, we will be saying it was the best year 1 library EVER for a system. 1st party? Not even close, no system can match that year 1Edited January 2017 by Stealth20k
    Arms earned its right as a bigger billing than Ultra Streetfighter 2. It's a new Nintendo IP and it is the posterchild for the more advanced rumble and motion tech.

Ultra Streetfighter is for all intents and purposes a remix of an XBLA game that's over 7 years old.

The Treehouse showing really did wonders for Arms. Looks fantastic.
    My reaction to Nintendo's renewed commitment to motion controls was something between an eye-roll, cringe, and defeated sigh. Not only have I always found motion controls obnoxious, but it's disappointing to think that without them, the Switch would sell at a more reasonable price point.
  • Avatar for pauljordan50 #103 pauljordan50 6 months ago
    Nintendo consoles are always less powerful. Once Nintendo gets 3rd party support down they end up winning console wars. They have the branding, the talent and the IPs for the company to run itself if they'd just make it possible to play Overwatch, Call of Duty etc... and have grown up online functionality.
  • Avatar for punctual-donkey #104 punctual-donkey 6 months ago
    @UnskippableCutscene: "GameCube used a PowerPC processor. So, remember how running MacOS on a PC was practically impossible until Apple ditched PPC and launched OSX for x86?"

Yes I remember. But there isn't a serious technical limitation here, it's entirely doable. Nintendo has to emulate PowerPC (Gamecube processor) on an ARM chip (Nvidia Tegra). That's being done today with emulators that run on Android phones pretty darn well. I don't think there are technical limitations.

Why should you believe me? I was an engineer on Virtual PC from Connectix. VPC enabled running Windows on a PowerPC-based Mac (by emulating x86 on PPC). When we were acquired by Microsoft, that same tech from Virtual PC for Mac was used to provide original Xbox game compatibility on the Xbox 360 (since this scenario was also to run x86 code on a PowerPC). Apple implemented this emulation the opposite direction (run PPC on x86) in Mac OS X so customers could run older PPC-based Mac apps on the then-new x86-based Macs. And it ran pretty well.

Anyway who knows what Nintendo will do, their moves are so hard to predict. But there shouldn't be a technical reason they can't do a decent job with Gamecube emulation on Switch if they desired.
  • Avatar for punctual-donkey #105 punctual-donkey 6 months ago
    @Vanderdulpp This. I was thinking the same thing - skim the cream from us Nintendo fanboys through launch (the set of us that were going to buy this machine regardless) and then go mass-market. Because if that's not the case...what the heck are they thinking? ~$350. for a Switch and a game? That's rough in a world of cheap consoles from Microsoft & Sony, cheap tablets from Amazon ($50. for a 7" Fire tablet!), and everybody with a mobile phone...I dunno. As much as I myself am excited for the Switch - this is a pretty tough sell. They better have some really, really compelling content. Maybe if they stop doing Pokemon for 3DS and make it exclusive to Switch?
    I won't even let myself peek at any of the stuff until Nintendo goes over their online system. We need accounts, to own our digital games and not go through hoops for them, and the VC/Online store needs to be relatively robust from the launch.

I'd owned a 3DS for a while and purchased a lot of digital titles, then sold it when I was hard up--- there they all go.
    I bricked my Wii while trying to hack the region-lock, and again; a whole slew of digital purchases lost.
    Bought a Wii U and said "No Digital:" unfortunately, this was the time that apparently every other Wii U physical copy became considered "Rare" and expensive: Devil's Third was going for $80; Bayonetta 2 $90; Pikmin 3 was between $80-90. Not to mention Fatal Frame 5 was digital-only. In the end I played through a few games and sold it: but if there was a competent digital system, then I'd have bought more games, played more games, and maybe would have developed some attachment to the system. But as it was---
    (and yeah; I know Devil's is a 'bad' game, but I still wanted to play it; looked campy and silly, so yes, I truly was upset about the price)

It's too important to me that the online be competent to even consider a Nintendo product anymore. I am fine with each Switch system having only one account available like the Vita, which I think everyone should expect, also. But those games need to be tied to my account, and they need to be available no matter if I sell/bust my system, and not require any idiotic procedures for redownloading.

I'm waiting. I like Nintendo stuff, but if there continues these anti-consumer designs then I'll do exactly what I did with the Wii U: just wait and buy it cheap, used, from someone on Ebay.
    Switch is for rich people. If Nintendo had any social care, would release Mario Odissey on PS4/X1.
  • Avatar for Wankel-Rotary-Engine #108 Wankel-Rotary-Engine 6 months ago
    Kat bashing consoles? How novel.
  • Avatar for Wankel-Rotary-Engine #109 Wankel-Rotary-Engine 6 months ago
    @KCC You will never own digital games, no matter what system you buy them on.

That's why I don't buy digital.
  • Avatar for Folkenhellfang #110 Folkenhellfang 6 months ago
    I'm surprised Kat came off so negative here.
    The price point is exactly as expected. 200 was never realistic. Of course I would like it lower, but the Switch is exactly what I've been waiting for.
    I came away from the streamed event surprised at the functionality of the controllers, interested in the new IPs, and just plain excited to get one in March.
    My major worry is this: We will be lucky to get Mario this year. Many of the most exciting games seem like they are a ways from being completed. That said, all of that waiting could be completely mitigated by a robust Virtual Console.
    Now I don't buy new systems to play old games, but my time with the NES classic has reminded me how great old games can be.
    The Switch games are likely to be on a trickle, I just hope Nintendo doesn't trickle out the VC games as well.
    Oh and $50 for a new game? All about it
    Yeah, I love Kat's take on most things, but I think this was a little harsh. $300 is $50 more than the Wii, true. But adjust for inflation and the price is the same. Further, there is a lot of tech in those joy con. By saying that Nintendo should launch for a cheaper price than the PS Slim is to say that somehow Nintendo consoles are inferior. In a sense, that would be buying into what the fanboys have been saying about Nintendo for years. Nah, $300 is a fair price and it was unrealistic to expect less. Maybe they should have included a pack-in title...BUT...by not doing so, that allows Nintendo a little headroom this holiday season to put out a (Mario?) bundle that would kill at Christmas. And, anyway, the Switch already sold out in pre-orders. Games journalists may have been a little iffy on the launch. But the consumers and fans were most decidedly not.
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #112 Funny_Colour_Blue 6 months ago
    I'm not sure how I feel about the switch. It's definitely not for me, but then again, I'm not quite sure what video game system would be at this point?

I don't own a HDTV and quite frankly I don't really want to, as most of the systems and games that I own were made for CRT television sets in mind.

I was considering picking the switch up as a portable system - but I already own a VITA, which i barely use because of it's size alone - But I want to make a point here:

If I can't take the Nintendo switch out in less than 5 seconds in order to quickly play something, I sincerely doubt this machine is going to be nintendo's next handheld device.

You need to remember something here, Nintendo isn't just competing with the Xbox and PS4, they're now competing with the mobile market as well - if people can't take this thing out and play something in less than 5 seconds, no ones going to use it as a portable game system - it's just going to take too long to play anything.Edited 3 times. Last edited January 2017 by Funny_Colour_Blue
    this is so demented it is after tax $440 here in Canada WTF and worse it comes with no game and its broken up so bad everything is sold separate like charger for controllers and worse Nintendo once again shows no game support . just look zelda is only because they waited and pushed it back for the launch and Mario is not out until next Christmas and launch is very sad line up . plus 3rd party looks very lame again but the price point is insane $500 in B.C. after tax if you buy console and one game . Nintendo just stop making consoles and sell games
    @pauljordan50 your delusional , first 3rd party support will never be main as it cant handle big newer games rockstar said this as why redead 2 is not going to come out and never will for it and there marketing is horrible and anti consumer . please get a education because you are a fanboy 100% saying they have great marketing lol also they run there services horrible and there first party games are junk just look at wii u the mess of mario kart to animal crossing and second its impossible for them to even come close to sony it does not matter what they do there lead and the games out is top notch . Nintendo is a disgrace i see this BS from you fanboys everytime they launch lol these are same clowns that still are flagging every video they are a disgrace they needed to change decade ago and now they just need to die as they have destroyed all there games made horrible new ones as wii u shows and already you see no support
    @Samustroid I think this article is pretty measured. I agree that this presentation was the worst case scenario.

I've been psyched for the Nintendo Switch as a portable system I can throw up on my TV. Thinking of it as a portable first I see $299 and I think. That's more than the Vita or the (obviously overpriced) 3DS at launch. That price is a punch in the gut. Then I learn the battery life isn't great.

Next they spend a huge amount of the front end of this presentation focusing on motion controls and HD rumble. Now the price makes sense. I'm paying for stuff I do not care about. Gyro controls? On board. HD rumble? No thanks.

If they want those motion controls to take off they really screwed the pooch by not including a pack in copy of 1,2 Switch. Dropping $350 for a crazy one shot toy is too much. They're going to have to do a lot more than have a business man shake a Joy Con next to a CGI glass of ice cubes to convince people that this is the awesome fun new toy you break out at parties like Wii Sports.

I think this was the worst case scenario. They targeted people that weren't even watching and don't know this exists. The format was slow and plodding. Making Mario a second run part of the presentation seems to miss the mark completely. Ending with the new Breath of the Wild trailer was pretty much the only good decision.

Comments