Replay of the Blood God: Watch the First Part of Our Final Fantasy IV Let's Play!

Kat kicks off her Let's Play of Final Fantasy IV by bombing a village, conning a prince, and killing lots of wildlife.

Analysis by Kat Bailey, .

Who knew Final Fantasy IV could be so violent?

In just the first couple hours, you rob a village of its crystal, bomb a village, witness the desolation of an entire kingdom, and kill many, many innocent goblins. It's made me feel like an absolute villain in the course of my Final Fantasy IV Let's Play, which I kicked off yesterday as part of my research for an upcoming Retronauts episode. You can watch the first part below.

I wound up picking the original North American SNES release because (1) It's easy to stream and (2) I've never finished it before. I've completed the PSP's Complete Collection and the GBA port, but never the game that we once knew as "Final Fantasy II." The closest I came was a run that ended with the battery backup failing and erasing my save. Sad!

So far my run through Final Fantasy IV has been... illuminating. It's really remarkable, for example, just how bad the localization is. Spells like "Psych" are poorly explained, and it's not entirely clear what the difference between "Heal" and "Cure" is. There's also that infamous quote, "You spoony bard!" which continues to be the butt of RPG jokes to this day.

Beyond that, it's striking what a lean RPG Final Fantasy IV really is. Like Final Fantasy X and XIII, Final Fantasy IV is an intensely linear experience that barely affords you control over your own party, let alone character customization. But in turn, it moves at a breakneck speed as it motors through one plot development after another, lending the story a kind of inertia that you rarely see in RPGs these days. It also benefits from extremely well-balanced encounters, which are possible in part because the design removes so many of the variables associated with customization.

The Gateway Guide to Final Fantasy

Feeling inspired by our Game Club and want to get into Final Fantasy? We list entry points for beginning, intermediate, and experienced fans of the series.

The first part of my Let's Play takes me up through the battle with the Antlion, ending with Rosa rejoining the party. Never week, I'll be trekking up Mt. Ordeals to find my true self, and encountering the first of the Four Fiends along the way. I can't wait!

I don't have a set time for when I'll be streaming, but keep an eye on our Twitter and Facebook feeds around 4pm PT for announcements. We'll either be streaming on Twitch or Youtube!

Why do Let's Play people feel obligated to say everything that is written on the screen? I have never understood that. What do you think?
    I played FF2 after FF3 during the snes era. I remember it being much harder. maybe I just rushed it and didn't grind enough, but I distinctly remember getting trounced over and over by the final boss. I was getting super mad and my older brother got on my case over my video game rage . Of course it was like the 2nd or 3rd RPG I had ever played so I might've just sucked at the game.
    @danowar It helps convey the story and gives you something to talk about.
  • Avatar for StrwbrryJams #4 StrwbrryJams 4 months ago
    Even though I missed last night, I'm so down for this! Never played FFIV, but I'm interested in what you have to say.
    @Kat.Bailey Okay, but wouldn't it be cooler if people would try to "act" a bit when reading? Add a bit of flavour to it (of course don't overact)? I don't know, pure line reading always feels so stiff to me. Sorry I dropped the atmosphere, boss!Edited January 2017 by danowar
    This all reminds me that I have a 6 year old FFII game (first ever playthrough) where Tella (Terra?) just joined...So probably not very far in.
    @danowar ya it's Tellah and you are correct you aren't that far in.
    @Kat.Bailey What system are you using to stream this with? I'm curious if you're using another system to emulate it or if maybe you're using a Jeremy-style Framemeister set up.
    @warmrome I'm emulating it on my PC because my SNES doesn't have an HDMI output :)
    @Kat.Bailey Right on; that definitely seems like the easiest approach!

Comments