Resident Evil 4's "Ultimate HD Edition" Still Uses Some PS2 Cutscenes

Ada's "Separate Ways" story hasn't had quite the same level of spit and polish as the main game.

News by Pete Davison, .

The upcoming "Ultimate HD Edition" of Resident Evil 4 for PC has the potential to be the best version of the classic game yet... but not the perfect version.

Speaking in the comments thread of a Capcom Unity blog post featuring some comparison shots showing off the new textures, Capcom community manager Brett Elston confirmed that the rerelease would not be updating the standard definition prerendered cutscenes found in the Ada Wong-centric Separate Ways mode.

The reason for this, he said, was that Separate Ways originated from the PlayStation 2 version, which featured prerendered cutscenes for the duration of the game. The GameCube original, meanwhile -- and all subsequent versions, for that matter -- featured in-engine cutscenes for the main game, but Separate Ways, which was extra content added for the PlayStation 2 version, has only ever featured pre-rendered video sequences. The new PC version, it seems, will be no exception to this -- so expect some lovely, blurry, fuzzy video when playing through Separate Ways, while the rest of the game renders in glorious 1080p at 60 frames per second.

Separate Ways, if you're one of the few people unfamiliar with Resident Evil 4's intricacies, is a side story that runs parallel to the events of the main game. While the main Resident Evil 4 narrative features one half of Resident Evil 2's pair of protagonists, Leon S. Kennedy, Separate Ways focuses on his sometime companion Ada Wong, who has her own series of misadventures and tales to tell. Despite its low-quality cutscenes, it was praised as a worthwhile addition to the game's PlayStation 2 incarnation and all subsequent versions, allowing you to witness the unfolding events from a pleasantly different perspective -- a little like the early Resident Evil games featured two playable protagonists with different paths through the game, in fact.

Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD Edition is available now for pre-order from Steam, GameFly or Impulse. Preorder customers get the full digital soundtrack and an 80-page Digital Archives document featuring concept art and additional story details.

• Avatar for renatocosta90 #1 renatocosta90 2 years ago
    While it's cool that RE4 is still loved and regarded well to this day, I can't imagine playing through it yet another time, especially because Professional mode is not usually unlocked from the get-go.

Also, everyone remembers the good parts, but I'm sure everyone just blocks Ashley from their minds.
    Even though its not as sharp looking I'll stick with my old Wii edition. Loved that pointer control.
    This was pretty much always known, and will probably always be the case. Capcom most likely doesn't see it as worthwhile to go back and completely re-render the cut scenes from Separate Ways.

The missing element in this game people are really worried about are the DOF and Specular Highlight graphical effects that are only in the Gamecube and Wii versions. Capcom could technically try to approximate those things in other versions, but they were coded with Nintendo hardware specifically in mind and are near impossible to reproduce elsewhere.
    @renatocosta90 You know, I have seen a lot of people complain along the years about the escort sections of Resident Evil 4, something that always perplexes me because, in my opinion, RE4 is one of the very few games where the escort missions are not frustrating. Ashley always tries to keep behind Leon rather than constantly walk in front of his line of fire, she ducks if aimed at, and provided you keep aware of your surroundings and don’t act recklessly, it is relatively easy to keep her safe by ordering her to stay in a single place far away from the enemies. And in a couple of places where it would have been very frustrating to keep her around, there was a container where you could order her to hide until you took care of the enemies.

I remember that in my entire first play through of the game she only died or was abducted three times, and every time it was because of a specific mistake I made, rather than because her AI was actively acting against me.
  • Avatar for renatocosta90 #5 renatocosta90 2 years ago
    @docexe I agree. It's one of the best AIs in companion/escort missions (something Capcom forgot to actually implement in future Resident Evil games). It doesn't completely destroy the gameplay, as it happens in other games, but I still don't find that parts all that enjoyable.

When I bought my PS2, I had already finished the game thrice. I'm not a speedrunner of any sort, but I found it a cool game to keep coming back over and over, so I've lost count of how many times I went through it, even with the Ashley parts. And on the higher difficulties, sometimes a single AI mistake is fatal.

But hey, I'd take having Ashley's escort parts over Silent Hill 4's Eileen any day of the week! Or playing RE5 on single player again!Edited February 2014 by renatocosta90
    @docexe
    I actually think the "escort missions" in Resident Evil 4 are genius and fit very well into the design. The game is all about threat management (hence not being able to move and shoot). Ashley acts as a sort of extension of Leon since anything that happens to her means game over. So the player has to balance threats to both Leon and Ashley. These sections are also very well spaced out; being presented after a few new enemies and level elements are established.Edited February 2014 by sam-stephens
    @sam stephens Yeah, I actually don’t mind the escort parts that much because, on top of being better done than similar missions in other games, they add to the feeling of tension and they are spaced out enough and mixed with other challenges to not feel frustrating or repetitive. But then again, RE4 is one of the best paced games I have played.

Too bad the AI of your companions in subsequent games left a lot to be desired. Then again, RE5 and RE6 also missed the point of why RE4 worked so well as a mix of action, survival and horror.
    @docexe

"Then again, RE5 and RE6 also missed the point of why RE4 worked so well as a mix of action, survival and horror."

Although I dislike some of the changes made in Resident Evil 5, it is still a pretty good game in my opinion, especially mercenaries mode. But Resident Evil 6... (shakes head).

Comments