Rumor: Super Smash Bros Coming to NX at Launch

Nintendo and Bandai Namco may drop another Smash Bros on the next Nintendo console.

News by Mike Williams, .

Nintendo may have recently decided that Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS has seen its last DLC, but there may be more Smash in our future. According to Kantan Games CEO and analyst Dr. Serkan Toto, Bandai Namco is already working on "several" titles for Nintendo's upcoming console. One of those games? Smash Bros, which is planned as a launch title.

Super Smash Bros could be making a quick comeback.

"Bandai Namco is currently developing several NX titles. Smash Bros is planned to be a launch title. I am not sure about the date - yet," tweeted Dr. Toto. "To follow up on my last tweet: I haven't heard if it's a completely new (numbered) Smash Bros or not. Otherwise, source situation is solid."

This is still firmly a rumor, but Dr. Toto is well known in the Japanese mobile industry and prior to that he was a reporter. He tends to have solid sources, so I think this is at least worthwhile to bring to you.

Super Smash Bros being a launch title for Nintendo's NX points to remaster for the new console. Most likely, we're looking at a Super Smash Bros: Complete Edition, including all of the DLC in a single package with improved visual presentation. I expected this to happen to Zelda Wii U, much like the split release of Twilight Princess on GameCube and Wii, but Smash makes more sense. Super Smash Bros is a perennial system seller, so it's probably good to have on store shelves when the NX launches. And the game supports a ton of Amiibo, which Nintendo isn't leaving behind anytime soon.

A remastered edition of Super Smash Bros also points to the Nintendo NX breaking the line of backwards compatibility with its predecessors. That helps Nintendo, by allowing other remasters to fill in content holes, but it also could mean that we're going to have to start from scratch again when it comes to the Virtual Console and other Wii U content.

As for the rest of Bandai Namco's lineup for NX, Pokken Tournament seems like a certainty. It's likely that one of the One Piece titles will head to NX, since they enjoy a solid audience on Nintendo platforms. Tekken 7 and Tales of Berseria could also be high on the list of potential titles, depending on the final NX form factor. Either way, it's something to possibly look forward to if the rumor pans out.

Does playing Super Smash Bros again on NX excite you, or would you rather have something brand-new? Talk back in the comments and let your speculation fly!

If this means we get a home console version with all the 3DS stages, I may have to think about getting an NX, because there are a lot of bits in the 3DS version I wish had made it into the WiiU version as well.
    I'd buy it if it had a real single player mode. What they had in Smash U was alright, but I wanted something meatier.

Hopefully this news doesn't mean that the NX is going to get flooded with Wii U ports for the first couple of years.
  • Avatar for victorehunter #3 victorehunter 11 months ago
    I can see myself triple dipping on Smash 4 for sure. And nothing would make me happier to see Namco supporting NX right out of the gate, especially if it means Tales returning to Nintendo hardware. My dream would be to a wave of old Namco IPs starring in games developed by indies. It's been ages since we heard anything about Namco letting some of their older franchises get licensed by smaller developers and this would be a good time to see the fruits of that. It might not spell immediate commercial success but imagine a launch line-up of new Druaga, Valkyrie, Klonoa and Wonder Momo games... With their respective leads as characters in Smash of course.

I try to stay away from predicting pie-in-the-sky Smash rosters but hot damn, I'd be a very happy boy.
    I would be thrilled but surprised, if the NX makes the extra effort to work with old Wii motes, and pro wii u controllers.

But seems like good news.
  • Avatar for seanmitchell #5 seanmitchell 11 months ago
    "but it also could mean that we're going to have to start from scratch again when it comes to the Virtual Console and other Wii U content."

thats just getting ridiculous.i won't be rebuying anything. not really excited for smash on nx. ill just play the wii u version. i don't see it selling a lot as most of the people who will adopt the NX will be the same people who already own the game
    They're obviously going to be hoping a lot of people who didn't buy the Wii U will buy the next console, so a port of Smash 4 makes sense. I hope this doesn't mean it won't be backwards compatible with Wii U games, though....
    I'd pay money to by an HD remaster of the Metroid Prime trilogy, if they're taking requests. That would look pretty gorgeous at 1080p (and a solid frame rate).
    Not sure what this news has to do with Virtual Console. Iwata himself spoke of NX "absorbing the Wii U architecture" so they wouldn't have to start from scratch on eshop releases again. At the very least, there's precedent for charging users a $1-1.50 "upgrade" fee instead of repurchasing a title at full price.
    @Neifirst Where did you read that? (About "absorbing the Wii U architecture".)Edited January 2016 by hiptanaka
    If the rumours of a console/handheld hybrid for the NX are true, then can Bandai Namco finally release a localised version of the DS/Vita title Tales of Innocence please?

It would be great to play a 'Tales of' game on the big screen and then continue it at work.
    @hiptanaka in 2013 at the time they merged the hardware divisions. If you google that quote you'll find it was widely reported at the time. Plans may have changed in the meantime of course, but it would explain the presence of GBA and DS games on Wii U virtual console. I think they'll all be there day one for the NX portable.
    The NX can be doing for Wii U what the Wii did to GameCube.

But still needs to have the Netflix of virtual console.
    So you're saying hold off on buying all that DLC.
    @Neifirst Let's hope!
    @Spectreman But quite differently, in that case, since Wii was directly backwards compatible with GC. This rumor seems to suggest that NX is not backwards compatible with Wii U, if the Smash Bros game in question is a port. In any case, re-releasing specific games for the new console seems like a good idea, considering how few people got a Wii U.
    I don't think I realized how much Nintendo and Namco-Bandai were in bed together. Kind of crazy given their relationship during the NES era.
    I'm an enormous smash fan, so although i dont like the idea of buying it again (considering my buy in for 3DS and WiiU is already quite high) but if there were some additional enticements...maybe. I'll be buying NX no matter what, so we'll see.
    It’s still an unconfirmed rumor, but it seems plausible to me.

Independently of whether or not the console has retrocompatibility, I actually imagined the possibility of them releasing a port of Smash Bros. 4 for the NX. Mostly because it makes business sense: The series is one of their biggest sellers and I find it unlikely that Masahiro Sakurai would be willing to work on the next “numbered” iteration so soon after effectively wrapping development of this one. So I can picture Nintendo and Namco releasing a “remastered edition” to fill the gap until the next proper entry.
    As much as it would make sense to have Smash as a launch title, don't expect it to be a completely new game. I expect this NX, whatever it is, will have a version of Smash that will just be ported across from the Wii U/3DS and Nintendo will just keep adding characters/modes/stages to it. We are in the digital age now where games are run as a service rather than single boxed products.
    I've been holding off on a WiiU, in part because I want to hear more about the NX and what sort of backwards compatibility it's sporting. With that in mind, I'm hoping this Smash Bros complete edition is more exception than rule. There are a handful of WiiU games (Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Mario Maker) that I hope will be either backwards compatible, or available in some other way on the system to be. That seems likely with first party Nintendo titles at least.

Comments