Sega 3D Classic Series Coming to America

Previously Japan-only remakes dipping a toe into the West.

News by Jeremy Parish, .

Back when Nintendo first showed off the 3DS, among the system's most enticing offerings was a series of remade Nintendo classics -- NES and Super NES ports with 3D effects added.

Sadly, only six of these actually came to fruition through a collaboration between Arika and Nintendo, and of that half-dozen only two games really fell into line with gamers' expectations: Kid Icarus and Kirby's Adventure. The other four games ranged from "decent" (Xevious) to "What, seriously? No! You jerks" (Urban Champion). For whatever reason -- my guess is "no one owned a 3DS at that point and sales tanked" -- Nintendo fell back on a boring old Virtual Console service shoveling up straight renditions of NES and Game Boy classics. Which is fine and all, but there's something wonderful about playing Kirby with funky layered graphics. And Arika even tweaked Kid Icarus to make it subtly but substantially more playable.

Fittingly, then, Sega is the company to gleefully do what -- yes -- Nintendon't, even long after the 16-bit console wars have faded to a distant memory. Where the 3DS platform maker is content to go the easy route, Sega has teamed up with its partners in emulation, M2, to blow away Nintendo and Arika's meager offerings. Rather than slap together a handful of 3D tweaks for iffy first-gen NES games, Sega is exploring its arcade and Genesis classics and giving them a proper facelift.

The real ninja gaiden.

According to Press the Buttons, the first eight titles on offer consist of the following arcade and Genesis classics:

• 3D Altered Beast
  • 3D Ecco the Dolphin
  • 3D Galaxy Force II
  • 3D Shinobi III
  • 3D Sonic The Hedgehog
  • 3D Space Harrier
  • 3D Streets of Rage
  • 3D Super Hang-On

Aside from Altered Beast -- the 16-bit equivalent of Urban Champion -- this is a respectable line-up of offerings. And, coming from M2, each one bound to be presented with the utmost care and fidelity. M2 is the developer behind the 3DS's Game Gear emulator, and it's their attention to loving recreation that makes the Game Gear Virtual Console so much more feature-rich and user-friendly than Nintendo's own barebones offerings.

Welcome to the 3D zone!

It's a shame Nintendo doesn't seem to have any interest in treating its own rich catalog with such affection. But it's nice for weary Genesis veterans to have the chance to be smug about the Nintendo-versus-Sega again after all these years.

Related Tags

Sega

Why no Outrun? I don't own a 3DS, but I'd pick one up tomorrow if that was on the list.

EDIT: Not that the rest of the list is too shabby either, but still. OUTRUN.Edited July 2013 by meme
  • Avatar for pixelatedsoul #2 pixelatedsoul 3 years ago
    I feel like this type of "upgrade" needs to happen more to classic 2D games. If Nintendo isn't going to do this, I will gladly support Sega doing this. I'm particularly interested in Space harrier.
    I'm glad someone's making more of these -- I really like the other 3D classics (though I didn't pick up Urban Champions). I really hope Nintendo's watching the download stats on these and that those stats suggest they should revisit their 3D Classics line.

Here's hoping for "3D Classics: Virtual Boy Wario Ware" and perhaps even the unofficially released Bound High.
    I'm pretty stoked to have these games on the 3DS. I'll definitely be picking up Ecco, Shinobi and Space Harrier. That being said, I'm not sure how much interest I have in the added 3D effects. While I play my 3DS everyday, I haven't turned on 3D in months. Regardless, more retro games is always great news.
    I really wish they'd do the Desert/Jungle Strike games - those would be awesome. Golden Axe wouldn't go amiss either.
    There's another handful of retro games for my 3DS catalogue :D I assume Space Harrier is the arcade version? Can't say no to that, or Shinobi III, or Sonic.

I can, however, say no to Altered Beast.
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #7 Godots17thCup 3 years ago
    I'm not sure if SEGA even owns the rights to Ranger X, but if they were to ever do a second run of these 3D-enchanced ports, that's the game I'd most want to see. Not necessarily because I need to see it in 3D so much, it's just never been re-released (to the best of my knowledge, anyway) and I remember it being pretty freaking awesome. Also, I'd buy a 3D Sonic 2, but that's mostly because I'm a sucker.

Anyway, I'm totally getting Space Harrier, since I think that game should look particularly neat in 3D. Maybe Super Hang-On and Shinobi III too, just to have them on hand.
    There is no love for some arcade Golden Axe, let it come to 3D.
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #9 jeremy.parish 3 years ago
    Regarding Out Run, I've heard there are issues relating to the use of a Ferrari in the game. Who knows!
    This sounds amazings, I for one, always play with the 3D effect on and love it. I think alot of these games will look great, espeacially the Yu Suzuki san games; that layered and composited look of his games will really pop in 3D. I am sad however this is not a full retail release, I would looooove to have a unique collection like this sitting on my shelf.
  • Avatar for schweinebrot #11 schweinebrot 3 years ago
    Sega does what Nintendon't...
    Someone should really tell them that Shadow Dancer is far superior to any other 2D Shinobi console game.
    I as of late learned something very intriguing about computer games. Numerous youngsters have created unimaginable hand, eye, and mind coordination in playing these amusements. The flying corps trusts these children will be our exceptional pilots if they fly our planes.
    download Vidmate app for android is a great apk for stream online videos you can download video With the help of Vidmate for windows 7 on laptop or updated vidmate app install . you can watch and listen all the videos of Movies and songs. With Mobdro live tv apk download for android and http://pcdownloadfree.com/mobdro-pc/ entertains you in a various fields like TV shows, Sports, Popular & Latest Movies, Sports, Tech streams and more worldwide channels you can watch for free. For stream online movies cinema box hd download for iphone here . download all from http://pcdownloadfree.com/| need this megabox hd for laptop download for stream hd free movies ,get apk of download megabox HD now.to run android apps need bluestacks download for pc windows 8| Share any video with this share it app download now or click for shareit for windows 7 on pc or latest shareit apk download from one device to another|download mobdro live tv app here.

Comments