"Should I Buy a New Nintendo 3DS?"

Which 3DS model is right for you?

Editorial by Jeremy Parish, .

Updated: Nintendo has announced a February 13 launch date for the New 3DS console — but in America, it's only shipping in the XL model. Most likely we'll see the standard New 3DS eventually here, but probably further down the road. While I prefer and recommend the smaller New 3DS to the XL, all the perks of the standard model (except the convenient size and interchangeable faceplates) hold true for the XL.

The New 3DS has been available in Japan for a couple of months now, and last week Nintendo of Europe sent out early units to select Club Nintendo members in advance of the system's European release, like tiny Silver Surfers capable of playing Mario Kart 7. Supposedly, GameStop and other U.S. retailers have begun receiving promotional and point-of-sale materials for the system, too. Now that the holiday shopping season is over and Nintendo has wrung the last of its possible dollars from the original and XL 3DS models, the arrival of the New 3DS in America seems inevitable; the safe money appears to be February 13.

All of this is well and good, but it doesn't address the most important question about the New 3DS: Is it worth the money?

Of course, this depends in part on exactly how much money we're talking about here. European models appear to be selling at €170 for the standard New 3DS and €200 for the New XL — the same price as the older models, which suggests they'll sell for $170 and $200 in the U.S. In both the U.S. and Europe, the standard 3DS has pretty much vanished from the supply chain, and most retailers have a seemingly permanent $30/€30 markdown on the XL.

So, the system will mostly likely sell for a reasonable price when it launches in the U.S. [Update: It's selling for $199.] The issue isn't really price, though; it's value. Most people interested in a New 3DS at launch will be dyed-in-the-wool Nintendo fans who already own a 3DS or 3DS XL. Does it really make sense to drop another $200 for a system that largely duplicates the functions of a system you already own?

If this were simply a cosmetic upgrade, we could just roll our eyes and say, "As if, Nintendo!" But the New 3DS is packing quite a bit under its hood to give it an edge over its base-model predecessor. The New 3DS offers more memory, a beefier processor, improved 3D visuals, and a built-in right analog stick (well, analog nub) to go along with its fancy new design.

It also has a couple of really awkwardly placed secondary shoulder buttons. There's always some goofy design decision, or else it wouldn't be Nintendo.

Nintendo has already promised new games that will specifically take advantage of the improved hardware, including a port of the most impressive adventure to ever appear on Nintendo Wii, Xenoblade Chronicles. No way that thing is running on a standard 3DS, which means it's a pretty hefty stick-and-carrot to entice you into an upgrade. And Monster Hunter 4 is due soon, a game begging to make use of that right thumb nub. We wouldn't be surprised to see certain games run in an enhanced mode on New 3DS, also. Majora's Mask 3D, perhaps? Paralleling the original N64 release's need for the RAM Pak expansion? [Update: Majora's Mask will incorporate right-stick camera controls for the first time on New 3DS.]

I've spent the past couple of months playing around with a Japanese New 3DS, mostly bumbling through Final Fantasy Explorers (it's fun!), and on the whole I've been impressed with the system — even if Explorers doesn't include 3D visualization, mooting one of the New 3DS's most interesting features. While I wouldn't presume to tell anyone how to spend their money, I can at least offer advice based on my own experience, depending on the perspective from which you're considering investing in a New 3DS.

I don't own any 3DS. Should I get a New 3DS?

Absolutely, yes. For an extra $30 or whatever, you'll be treating yourself to a system capable of running all upcoming 3DS/New 3DS software along with an absolutely massive library of 3DS and DS games. An old-timey 3DS is fine for kids or more casual game fans, but if you're serious enough about this venture that you're reading a site like USgamer, you're serious enough to make a modest extra investment.

Plus, faceplates mean that (in theory) you obsessive types don't have to keep buying limited edition systems to freshen up your 3DS's looks. [Update: Sorry, Americans!]

I own an original model 3DS or a 2DS. How about me?

You should at least strongly consider upgrading. If you're happy with the system you have now, great! Go with that feeling. But the base model New 3DS represents a pretty significant improvement over the base model 3DS or 2DS — enough to merit serious consideration.

For starters, the New 3DS has a considerably larger screen than the original 3DS — roughly 25% larger. Despite the devices being roughly the same size in the hand, the screens occupy more real estate on the face of the system and make games quite a bit easier to see. In fact, I would say the base New 3DS has the best visual density of any Nintendo handheld to date. It strikes a perfect balance between being large enough to let you see visual detail without squinting, yet dense enough that it doesn't suffer the pixelated effect of the New 3DS. Meanwhile, the form factor remains compact enough that it slips easily into a pocket. And you can customize the system with interchangeable face plates.

Alternately, if you're interested in moving up to the big deluxe apartment in the sky of the XL form factor, you should still jump over to New 3DS at this point. The New 3DS XL is more or less indistinguishable from the original in terms of screen quality and form factor, but the New version contains all the internal goodies that you'll want.

In short, this amounts to several perks. More RAM and processing power, which has a huge impact on the operating system — opening and closing big, complex games like Smash Bros. is far, far faster on New 3DS than the old model, for instance. Total forward compatibility with New 3DS-specific games like Xenoblade Chronicles. Better 3D head-tracking — the system's cameras can track your current viewing angle and shift the 3D effect to match, meaning you have to work hard to "break" the 3D illusion. There's that right thumb nub, which works with any game that supported the Circle Pad Pro. And a few more minor tweaks that improve the overall quality of the experience, like Wii U-style NFC compatibility on the bottom screen (you know, for Amiibos).

We probably won't get the great Japanese Super Famicom-style face buttons, but we do get the analog nub.

I own a 3DS XL. Worth it?

Ah. Well, that one's trickier. The New 3DS XL packs all those new under-the-hood additions, but otherwise it doesn't offer any substantial improvements over the standard XL. The screens may be slightly better, but it's a toss up. Battery life is reportedly identical. Besides the right nub and the hidden Micro SD card slot, the form factor is largely indistinguishable from the original XL. Even the plastics are largely the same. The New XL doesn't include niceties like interchangeable faceplates, resized screens, or anything similar.

Which isn't to say you shouldn't buy a New XL, but it's not a slam dunk upgrade. In short, you can afford to wait... unless, by some miracle, the XL shows up in stores tomorrow with Xenoblade Chronicles in tow. Barring some extreme circumstance like that, you'll probably want to wait to upgrade... unless, of course, you're a hardcore Monster Hunter fan. In which case you'll want to upgrade as soon as Monster Hunter 4 shows up. The cost of the upgrade is almost worth not having to lug around a Circle Pad Pro.

Another option presents itself, though, and this is the one I'm considering for myself: Downgrade as you upgrade. The bigger screens of the New 3DS don't feel nearly as cramped and hard-to-read as the screens on the original 3DS/2DS. Between its more compact form factor, the better screens, and the luxe faceplates, the New 3DS almost makes the New XL moot. Messing around with the import New 3DS makes me wish I could play my American games on it, and the overall improvements and convenience it offers over the XL are quite tempting. [Update: Obviously, this advice is useless for American consumers at the moment. However, you Europeans should take heed!]

In summary

If you're looking to make your debut in the world of 3DS gaming, get a New 3DS. Don't get an outdated model just to save a few bucks.

If your old model is feeling dated or limited, consider getting a New 3DS — if not now, then whenever you're ready.

If you're considering upgrading to New 3DS out of obligation, or if you resent the idea of having to spend more money for an incremental upgrade, hang on to your cash for the time being. Maybe forever. Wait until an indisputable reason to upgrade comes along, whether that's a game that desperately needs an analog nub or only runs on New 3DS. And if that reason never comes, remember that the stock 3DS plays a heck of a lot of great games already.

Related Tags

new 3ds Nintendo

I would bet the farm that the only significant support for the extra processing power and RAM will come from Nintendo. It makes no sense for other 3DS developers to cut out a large chunk of their user base to help Nintendo sell more hardware. Especially considering the install base is pretty maxed out, not counting the fanboys as you mentioned. I kind of regret getting the XL last xmas when I was pretty sure Nintendo would do this incremental upgrade eventually, but the only draw I had when it was announced was the faceplate swapping. If that isn't in the mix for the XL, then this seems like a pass to me.

One quick question: Does the OS run any faster in the new model? I have always found that to be the biggest complaint on the 3DS.
  • Avatar for JohnnyBarnstorm #2 JohnnyBarnstorm 2 years ago
    How many DSi games supported the expanded RAM? I'll upgrade if enough new games that I want come out for it. Though I don't know about Xenoblade. I played a bit of it on the Wii, that style of action-RPG aren't really for me.
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #3 jeremy.parish 2 years ago
    @mobichan Yes, OS-level actions are much, much faster on the New 3DS.
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #4 jeremy.parish 2 years ago
    @JohnnyBarnstorm DSi was really a Trojan horse for digital distribution and region-locking. There were very few DSi-only retail games, but quite a few respectable DSiware titles... so if New 3DS delivers something equivalent, I think it'll be a decent buy in the long run.
    I am getting a new XL
  • Avatar for Whinybabyclub #6 Whinybabyclub 2 years ago
    Just got a 3DS XL for christmas, i don't think i'm going to trade it in for a few extra mhz and a rubber nub. I'm pretty happy with what i have.
    They had me at Xenoblade.
  • Avatar for terencetaylor51 #8 terencetaylor51 2 years ago
    Why is the regular New 3DS better than the New 3DS XL?Edited January 2015 by terencetaylor51
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #9 jeremy.parish 2 years ago
    @terencetaylor51 Read the article and find out!
    If a Monster Hunter bundle appears I'll bite. Until then I can wait and see.
  • Avatar for terencetaylor51 #11 terencetaylor51 2 years ago
    @jeremy.parish My bad. I skipped over that part of the article because I don't own a 3DS XL. Looks like I will be getting a regular New 3DS. Thanks!
    @jeremy.parish Is it worth upgrading basically for the headtracking alone?
    I got a 3DS XL and I actually quite like the 3D effect on a number of games, however the loss of the effect with every small body movement caused me to basically have it turned-off at least 90% of the time, which I think is a shame. I'm not really interested in the additional buttons and c-stick (I'm not a MH player, not yet at least^^) and barely interested in the addition of horsepower (I doubt many games will take advantage and Xenoblade looks to be substantial downgrade from the Wii version anyways!).

So would you say the headtracking and the therefore supposedly way more stable 3D effect work well enough to basically keep the 3D-slider up all the time? Is that much of a difference in effect over the normal 3DS (XL)?
    Because if it really works that well in everyday use, I'm seriously considering your route of "Downgrade as you upgrade" by moving from my XL to a standart New3DS.
    I’m tempted to buy one if only to not depend on my brother to play some of the 3DS games that interest me, like Zelda. Of course, given I’m currently broke after the Holiday period, it’s way more likely that he will buy one then give me his old XL model, as some sort of inversion/reverse of the hand-me-down clothes/toys I gave him when we were children.
    I switched from an XL and like it so far. The smaller screen was a bit strange at first.
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #15 jeremy.parish 2 years ago
    @Ralek I can't really speak to this question with confidence because I don't use 3D often and the game I've played most doesn't offer 3D visuals.
    Question: Have they fixed the hinge-flappiness of the original and XL?Edited January 2015 by Banandango
    I think I will only upgrade if Nintendo decides to bring GBA or SNES games to the virtual console (assuming the extra RAM makes that possible) or if they really start pushing the exclusive games. Of course a couple years down the line when the price drop to $100, then I could bite.
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #18 jeremy.parish 2 years ago
    @greenfanguy Yes, at least on the basic model. The New 3DS is the most rugged and solid-feeling Nintendo handheld since the GBA SP, and the hinges are jointed so that the upper screen snaps to three different open positions (roughly 105º, 160º, and 180º) and sits firmly without any give.
    While I'm seriously attracted to the new form factor of the standard New 3DS, I just fell like I can't give up the bigger screens. Beyond that, having a bit of extras bulk to the system makes it feel a bit nicer in my hands.
    The face plates are nice, but don't do much for me.
  • Avatar for ShadowTheSecond #20 ShadowTheSecond 2 years ago
    @JohnnyBarnstorm
    The ArtStyle games that were exclusive to the DSi (before 3DS) were pretty impressive as simple games with fairly unique concepts. There was one that was a puzzle game in involving destroying blocks shaped like Nintendo characters that wasy favorite. There were also a couple on Wii, but they were a little blander.
    I have a 2DS and was contemplating upgrading to a 3DS just before Nintendo announced the new range. I *just* got a WiiU, so I can't justify buying a New 3DS in the next few months, but I hope to get one this year. I still love the 2DS, but I'd like to be able to enjoy games that take advantage of the 3D.
    @CipherStone Same here. As cute as this looks, I think I'm done with the upgrade treadmill.
    @Ralek I've been using a Japanese n3DSXL since launch after making the switch from 3DS to 3DSXL. The head-tracking was a game-changer for me. I didn't expect much of an improvement from the 3D-effect going in, but now I won't turn it off. I've never used the 3D effect on the old 3DS systems because it was an unstable mess. The n3DS produces a stable 3D image with an viewing angle of about 120-140 degree (horizontally and vertically). This means you can use it on the bus or on a bumpy plane ride. The 3D effect also feels more natural to me; it's hard to describe, but when using the old 3DS with 3D on, my eyes got tired pretty quickly and I'd turn it off. The new 3D effect is more akin to looking inside a small window that is physically in front of your face. It's even enjoyable in games like the Ace Attorney Trilogy where you do a lot of reading. It gives the game a subtle "pop" without feeling uncomfortable to read.

If you enjoy playing in 3D, go with the n3DSXL. I've tried out both new 3DS versions and the effect is better on a bigger screen. Otherwise, both are great gaming machines well worth their price even if there (probably) won't be a lot of exclusive games for the system.
    @Ralek That is the reason I am going to upgrade. If one thing the XL did, it's that it horrible broke 3D where it just does not look good and is impossible to use. I will upgrade for this alone to to the new XL. But the main reason I'm looking to keep the XL is, the original 3DS horribly cramped my hands. The XL size felt much more comfortable in my hands when playing. That's why im reluctant to go back to the regular size New 3DS. So worst case I upgrade to the NEW XL and it doesn't fix the 3D all that much but I still have a system that is easy to play and has more horsepower. Best case I have a 3DS that is not cramping my hands,my as great 3D and more power. If it was about only the screen, I Probrably would go with the regulate new 3DS.
    Thanks for the write up, Jeremy. This is why I read USGamer.

I'm sold on "downgrading" from my 3DSxl to a normal new 3DS.

A suggestion when the release date is confirmed: a guide for transferring your old 3DS games/saves to your new 3DS.Edited January 2015 by NYCAlex
  • Avatar for Hero-Protagonist #26 Hero-Protagonist 2 years ago
    Great article, but you neglected to mention my island nation that is also a continent.

Australia has had the new 3ds since November of last year.
    Fortunately(?), the busted left shoulder button on my 3DS makes this an easy decision. It'll be nice being able to check enemy weaknesses (mapped to the left shoulder) on Persona Q.
  • Avatar for JohnnyBarnstorm #28 JohnnyBarnstorm 2 years ago
    @jeremy.parish I'll try a New 3DS before buying but if I did I think I'd go XL. My fat hands and all.
    I love my 3DS XL. That being said, I just don't see enough of a reason to update based on what games have been announced. The instant the majority of 3DS software goes exclusive will most likely seal the deal for me. Ports of GBA and/or SNES would also mean a much quicker upgrade.
  • Avatar for HandheldGuru #30 HandheldGuru 2 years ago
    Excellent article once again Jeremy! I upgraded to a 3DS XL back in early 2013 (AKA: the year of the 3DS), however I am certainly "downgrading" to the smaller New 3DS. Faceplates sold me on it and as handheld gamer, smaller size can be a nice bonus. Sure I'll miss out on the extreme screens of the XL, but I think I'll do just fine on the New 3DS, after all...the GBC has a postage stamp of a screen and I love that little sucker!!!!!!! (Speaking of Gameboy Jeremy keep up the good work on Gameboy World!!!!!! I'd gladly donate, if I didn't have to buy a new 3DS! :P)
    @Namevah:

Yeah, me too. There seems to be a built-in weakness of the old 3DS on that left shoulder button. Even though I mainly use my 3DS for VC games, the impossibility of playing my Metal Gear 3 (which needs the shoulder button) bugs me enough that I'll get the upgrade.
    @abraxox Does it work flawless for you? The head-tracking? Sometimes, it needs a moment to recalibrate, then the effect breaks for half a sec for me.
    @Ralek I "downgraded" from an XL to the regular New3DS and the headtracking is superb. On my XL I only turned the 3D on from time to time to check how it looks, because of how easy it was to lose the effect. On my New3DS I played about 10 hours of Fantasy Life in 3D.

The ghosting is also reduced (sadly it's not completely gone), making games like Luigi's Mansion 2 more enjoyable in 3D.
    @ldave I found that it only does this when you're a little too far away. Try holding the system a little closer to your head/face and it should stop doing this.
    Should I buy the New 3DS XL...in red? Based on the recently leaked image, it's fearful that NoA will only bring over the XL model, and bafflingly only in red and black, but not blue like Japan and Australia.
    @NYCAlex That's so easy it doesn't really deserve an entire article. Just do a system transfer and afterwards copy all the content from your SD card to your new microSD card and you're set. Worked flawlessly with a European 3DS XL and an Australian new3DS.
    @ldave No, I don't think glasses-free 3D will ever work flawlessly; but the n3DS is getting pretty close. I think the tech works by tracking your head as well as both of your eyes. If you look away from the screen and than look at it again, the n3DS needs about half a second to readjust itself to your position. I've also noticed that it works better when you play inside while there's a light source in the room, maybe because the cameras can find you better because of the reflections in your eyes?

Other than that, the effect is a lot better than before and like I said in the other post, the n3DS has turned me into someone who cranks up the slider all the way, even during visual novels.

edit: Just re-read your comment, if you mean "does it work flawlessly while not looking away from the screen" than the answer is yes.Edited 2 times. Last edited January 2015 by abraxox
  • Avatar for Captain-Gonru #38 Captain-Gonru 2 years ago
    @whitestreak@namevah I had my left shoulder button go fairly early on (thanks Ocarina of Time). I was lucky enough to still be under warranty, and was able to send it in for free repairs. Whatever they did worked, as it's given me no trouble since.
  • Avatar for Captain-Gonru #39 Captain-Gonru 2 years ago
    I'll be going with a New XL (sorry Jeremy). The much larger screen is too tempting to pass up, and I held off on upgrading my launch model for long enough. Also, the interchangeable plates don't interest me much, so no loss there.
    I treat this like my cell phone. I'm not going to buy every new model every year, but once every couple years seems sensible.
  • Avatar for WorstClassic #40 WorstClassic 2 years ago
    Here's hoping I can swap out the Limited Zelda Link Between Worlds 3DSXL plates into a NEW one. I don't want to stop toting that plate until I've completely ruined it by touching it with my flawed, human hands.
  • Avatar for damiankramer52 #41 damiankramer52 2 years ago
    Let's talk about the elephant in the room. Nintendo's Virtual Console/eshop. If having more RAM and a stronger processor means that they can now port most of the Wii VC games over to the 3DS/XL (Castlevania Rondo of Blood, Super Castlevania 4, Sega's Strider, Golden Axe, Super Mario World, etc., etc.), then this will be absolutely worth the upgrade. There has been no mention of this at all in any articles and I'm slightly concerned that Nintendo will continue to use those games as bait for their Wii U for at least another year. I'm hoping not though, and will probably end up upgrading in faith that Nintendo will appease all of it's fans.
    I heard external memory isn't has convenient on the New 3DS. Can anyone provide some clarity on this?
  • Avatar for jeremyparish #43 jeremyparish 2 years ago
    @damiankramer52 I've given up trying to understand or predict Nintendo's slapdash approach to VC.
    @MarsGame You have to buy a microSD card and if you wanna switch cards, you'll need a screwdriver to remove the backplate, so it's definitely less comfortable if you regularly switch cards.
  • Avatar for jeremyparish #45 jeremyparish 2 years ago
    @MarsGame The micro SD slot is hidden beneath the back panel, which you need to unscrew for access. But once it's in you don't really need to remove it again... not a huge deal.
    That serial number sticker is in a really stupid place... the perspiration from your hands will destroy it quickly.
    If I was looking at heavy Miiverse use, would the New 3DS touchscreen be big enough?

I always had trouble writing/sketching on my 3DS and looked with great envy upon my friends' 3DS XLs.

Seriously, Miiverse has been the killer app for my 3DS, up until the battery gave. All that nice artwork!
    @Zakoholic Seems too easy for a Nintendo system...
    I'm pretty sure I'm just going to wait. I upgraded to an XL, and unless I see something fantastic (and Xenoblade doesn't count, finished that on Wii recently), I'll wait for the inevitable next handheld from Nintendo, which I highly suspect will sport backwards compatibility.
    @abraxox@jeremyparish Ah I see. That's not too bad. I'll just need to ensure I purchase a large enough Micro SD as a permanent storage option. Thanks.
    @SargeSmash And I highly suspect the next DS will come out a year and a half from now. Sorry Nintendo, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me thirty seven times, shame on me!
    I feel like it's fate that this appears on the same frontpage as the Retronauts about purchases people regret.
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #53 jeremy.parish 2 years ago
    @MarsGame Yep. I bought a 64GB a few months back in anticipation of the New 3DS. Portable gaming is important.
    While the article is talking about US gaming more so, this is a great chance to finally get yourself 3DS for import games! I am planning on getting Xenoblade on the new 3DS in Japanese as a test of my language skills. While a bit extreme for many people, the Japanese Virtual Console is also pretty wonderful and worth looking into.
    @Zakoholic@abraxox@sean697 Thanks for the input guys. I'm definitely gonna upgrade then. Still considering whether or not go with the XL, but I'm leaning towards it. One of the reason I orginally got it, was because it was more comfortable to hold, and from what I can tell nothing changed in that regard, so it's probably still the best choice for me.
    Thanks again!
    @JohnnyBarnstorm None. The DSi is dead.
    I just got a New 3DS to replace my old XL and it's much more comfortable to hold for long periods, and the 3D viewing angle is way better. I often play in bed, lying down, holding the machine with one hand etc. and the XL was horrible for that. The new Phoenix Wright game has amazing 3D backgrounds, and thanks to the New 3DS I can now appreciate them while chilling in bed.

I used to swear by Nintendo's XL models, but the New 3DS' screens are big enough, and keep a sharper picture.
    Can games from an old 3DS be transferred to a New 3DS (including Ambassador titles)?
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #59 jeremy.parish 2 years ago
    I expected almost nothing and Nintendo still managed to disappoint me. How do they manage this so consistently?
    I guess I should thank Nintendo for saving me a couple hundred dollars...
    I always intended to grab the XL model (I'm tired of staring at that small screen, and while the smaller New 3DS's screen is larger...), but I sympathize for those who wanted the smaller model. The lack of a power cord, however, is something we can all hate together.
    No AC adapter no buy!
  • Avatar for jessedylanwatson26 #64 jessedylanwatson26 2 years ago
    Seriously can't believe that, not only are we getting the smaller size, we are only getting RED and BLUE for colors. I hate red and blue. They look like toys.

And to make matters worse, if I buy a red XL now, they'll probably release a white regular down the line that I'll wish I had instead, or at least might release XL colors I don't hate.

I'm so annoyed!
    @jessedylanwatson26 Blue? I thought the colors were red and black.Edited January 2015 by Namevah
  • Avatar for Captain-Gonru #66 Captain-Gonru 2 years ago
    @Namevah They are. I kinda wish there was a blue one. It would match my other DSs.
    @Ralek one thing people forgot to mention about the head tracking is it does the exact opposite of stabilizing the 3d effect when played in the dark or dimly lit areas.
    @jeremy.parish Thanks for the info, Mr Parish. I'll be seriously considering upgrading to the New 3DS now.
    @shurn How so? I thought that what the IR camera was for?
    Disappointed that the New 3DS is not being imported to the States. I was a Day 1 3DS owner and sold it after a year of frustration. Last year, the games that came were very strong and I considered re-purchasing for some great titles. I think the XL is fine, but I'm more inclined to sit out completely now.
  • Avatar for Happy-Mask-Salesman #71 Happy-Mask-Salesman 2 years ago
    @cldmstrsn does the new 3ds need its own adapter? I have an adapter from the ds light so this may or may not be an issue for me. Either way I still don't like the decision to leave it out
    @Ralek Yup, no worries. There's a small red dot above the screen next to the camera. Im not quite sure how it works(probably similar to Kinect or a reverse Wiimote tracking your eyes), but it does work very well in the dark. The only instance were the 3D effect won't work as advertised is outside in direct sunlight, but it's hard to play any handheld under these circumstances, so that's not really a knock against the n3DS.

Also, everyone who's owned and liked the "old" 3DSXL: Buy the "new" 3DSXL; The faceplates are a nice gimmick (straight from 90s cellphones), the colors are a lot nicer, the screen is a tad sharper and the portability is better, BUT nothing beats the form factor/screen size of the XL version if you have normal to large sized hands and like 3D.
    @Happy-Mask-Salesman Every adapter starting with the DSi generation will work, the DS Light adapter won't.
    I'm still planning on waiting to see what kind of software is going to be n3DS exclusive (going through Xenoblade once was enough for me), but even if I get on it, I'll probably upgrade to the XL all the same. My left thumb cramps up after only an hour with my standard sized 3DS.

New Fire Emblem, though. Spec. Tacular.
    @Happy-Mask-Salesman Yes it does need its own adapter or else how am I supposed to charge the system? yes you can buy one separately for a cheap price but for me if im going to plunk down 200 dollars for a system it should absolutely come with the most basic of things to allow it to function. Now I do have a 3DS XL but I don't need two and was looking to sell it off and its hard to sell something when you have no means to charge it.
  • Avatar for MissDeviling #76 MissDeviling 2 years ago
    I was thinking about upgrading an XL to a nXL, but this article changed my mind. The only benefit I'd get from it is the right analogue nub, since I don't use 3D. I hear the CPU's better, but until there's a new FE or Pokemon exclusive to th n3DS, I think I'll wait it out.

Thanks for your article!
    @Ralek im not exactly sure how it happens but when i play in the dark the head tracker has a hard time seeing me and the 3d constantly tries to adjust which makes the 3d effect wonk out,like when you move from the sweet spot in the regular 3ds i havent looked to see if head tracking can be turned off but i doubt it. i have to turn on a light source so it can see me then it stops adjusting.Edited January 2015 by shurn
    @NYCAlex I was surprised by how flawlessly it worked myself. Didn't want to loose my Ambassador games or my Fantasy Life save. It was basically the same procedure like transferring everything from my launch 3DS to my XL, just with the added step of copying the contents of the SD card to the microSD card.
    I'm a little disappointed that both models of the New 3DS aren't coming over, but I'm not surprised. The XL sized 3DS does tend to be the more popular unit over here. Oh well, no biggie for me. I was gonna get a New 3DS XL anyway since I own a Fun Size 3DS and I'd like the extra touch screen breathing space.

Also it's a shame AC adapters aren't included, which is a first for NoA. I know that's a Japan (and Europe?!) thing because of system colors or whatever, but hopefully cost cutting like that doesn't come back to bite Nintendo of America in the ass when some kids get New 3DS XLs for their birthdays only to find out the means to recharge their shiny new handheld's battery is sold separately.

Does it at least use the same kinda charger that the other 3DSes use?
    @MetManMas You can use any charger starting from the original DSi. They all had the same port.
    @nimzy Online play already is a reality.
    If there is ever a penultimate portable gaming museum, Parish should be the lead archaeologist.
    "And whatever your choice, skip the New 3DS XL. The smaller, superior New 3DS is where it's at. [Update: Or... not.] "

So do you still recommend the regular N3DS?
  • Avatar for clearancesticker17 #84 clearancesticker17 2 years ago
    I want to get this so bad, but I'm sure that copious amounts of Shovelware will be bestowed upon this system in a matter of months.

Let's Make An American Idol Deal Adventure Grandpa 6!
    So anyone else finding issues with the C-Stick? The right and down directions are not responsive and in the test programme of MH4U will reset to the centre after a couple of seconds despite being held in position?
    I currently have a 3DS XL since last year and I don't think I'm going to upgrade right away.
  • @ldave This picture sold me to get a regular new 3ds,until now I wasn't favoring getting one. Thanks! Now to sell my slightly used 3ds XL *grumble*
    I still have an old 3DS right now. I will try to buy this maybe this year or next year. It looks awesome. But I'm still gonna keep my old 3DS after I will buy this cause I liked it and i heard system transfer takes forever.
    I'm a bit tight on funds, but I'd like to get back into the mobile Nintendo gaming market, what with many of my friends playing and I feeling left out. I've got around a hundred dollars to play with, and was seriously considering buying a used 3DS XL on ebay, due to them being reasonably priced and fairly well taken care of. Is this a poor investment choice with the New 3DS out now? Should I just wait to buy anything? I'd like some advice.
    I do NOT sugets to get the NN3dsxl for vares resons, if u are a holic of Drawing on Miivese, no luck, the ds will frezze which then will make u press the power buttion and no use of draw8ng. The games suck! no kidding there the laggest ever! I do sugest to get the Nintendo 3ds, but when i had to send it to nintend for a reson, they had brought it baxk not fixed! Boy, was i pissed. Then when i sent it back it just wouldn't turn on! this lead me to only get the NN3dsxl. I do not sugest to by eny of the ds, rate #suck

Comments