Skyrim is Not the Best RPG of All Time

A brief rebuttal.

Opinion by Kat Bailey, .

Lists are a necessary evil in our line of work. They're fun to write, they're fun to argue over, and they pay the bills. They're also mostly subjective, which is one reason I'm usually content to let them pass without comment. But I'm going to have to take issue with Game Informer choosing Skyrim as the best RPG in their recent Top 100 list: It's not.

I say this as someone with plenty of love in her heart for Skyrim, which retains a loyal following to this day. It's striking to look at; it's huge, and it's ambitious. Skyrim's dragon battles in particular are some of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had. But whether you judge an RPG on its story, its systems, or its raw roleplaying, Skyrim comes up short.

Skyrim in a nutshell.

So let's break this down really quickly. Skyrim is famous for being a huge open-world RPG—one that attempts to translate triple-A setpieces into a massive sandbox. At its best, it can be awe-inspiring. At its worst, it looks something like the image above.

Those who are critical of Skyrim—and Skyrim has a legion of detractors—tend to focus on its story. In typical Bethesda fashion, it sets up a really interesting conflict between the racist Nords and the expansionist Empire, then completely loses the plot about halfway through, forcing you into a binary decision in which you have to choose one faction or another. In a series that's ostensibly about the freedom to forge your own path, that's unforgivable.

The 15 Best Games Since 2000: The Complete List

What are the fifteen best games from the past fifteen years? Here's our complete list.

Skyrim Remastered: Bethesda's Impossible Task

We dig into Skyrim Special Edition and examine what makes Bethesda's RPG so compelling... and so controversial.

But that's Elder Scrolls for you: a series that cares more about the illusion of freedom than the actual substance of it. Sure, you can get married to a werewolf and join the Assassin's Guild; but when it comes time to make a real difference in the world, Skyrim flinches. Its determination to tell a particular story inevitably comes at the expense of the illusion of agency, railroading players into a choice that they don't want to make. This is Fallout 4's problem as well, by the way.

Bethesda RPGs of late.

For those who are more systems oriented, Skyrim is equally disappointing. You're overpowered almost from the start, able to easily jump between multiple skill trees while wielding magic and powerful attack abilities. There's little strategy to Skyrim's combat, which typically entails crouching in the shadows and sniping enemies from afar, then spamming the Dragonborn's Shout powers when they get too close.

Where Skyrim excels is in being, well, big. It features a memorable world with a ton of quests to complete. It has some really memorable setpieces, and it lets you do things like become a vampire. The Assassin's Guild and Mage's College quests in particular are a delight. For that reason, I've typically been one of Skyrim's foremost defenders on the USgamer staff.

But best RPG of all time? Oh no. Oh definitely not.

There are just too many superior experiences out there to call an RPG largely propped up by its modding community the best of all time. If you want a superior story, there's Planescape Torment and Persona 4. If you want great systems, you can play Divinity: Original Sin. And if you want an RPG with a memorable open world, then for god's sake, play The Witcher 3.

Skyrim will certainly live on as one of the most popular games of all time; but as an RPG fan, I'm loathe to overstate its relative merits. It's relatively successful in its (extremely ambitious) goals, but despite its ongoing popularity, it's too flawed to seriously call the best RPG of all time. And that's all I've got to say about that.

Love roleplaying games? Check out our weekly RPG podcast Axe of the Blood God, which updates every Friday! Subscribe to us on iTunes or listen to us on Soundcloud! We've also got a detailed look at the best Skyrim mods for Xbox One, PS4, and PC.

Best RPG of all time is Dragon Quest V. Come on bra. :sniffs:
  • Avatar for sketchlayerjosh #2 sketchlayerjosh 19 days ago
    Even just from an aesthetics point of view...what' should your favorite area in Skyrim? The ugly brown city, the ugly brown mountain, or the ugly brown forest. What about all the memorable characters like whosit and what's her name? At least the story doesn't have you helping some other guy do all the work like in Oblivion.

Bottom line, Elder Scrolls games are fun, but they don't really rank as "best" anything. They're just the Gothic games but less German and with a higher budget.
    Skyrim personally is the worse post Morrowind TES game. My issue with Skyrim is really how they limit things you can do from past games but never made anything interesting by doing so. Morrowind you could do insane spells and pretty much do whatever the hell you want. Oblivion it's more limited but you still had a nice bit of customization. Skyrim however is awful in that department. Spellbooks are horribly limiting with no customization. Personally only a tiny fraction of the side quests were memorable with the reward being kind of bad. Morrowind had really dumb quests with weird rewards like "Boots of Blinding Speed" which was a fun joke in my book. They keep making the world bigger and bigger but in doing so they stretch things so much that everything feels tasteless.
    After Fallout 3 (which quickly became one of my all-time favs) I was incredibly pumped for Skyrim, but when it came out I played for 25 hours and got bored...so I tried again a year later and the exact same thing happened: played for 20-25 hours, got bored. So I've put 50 hours into this RPG with very little to show for it. The horrible part is I'm hoping playing it on Switch will make it more exciting. After 25 hours I'll let you know.
    I played way too much Skyrim when it was first released but going back to it reveals that the game fails the test of time. The games I have replayed more than once was because I was drawn to something that was excellent within that specific game. A job system, battle system, storyline, etc. Going back to Skyrim, I realized it was good at many things but not great at anything. Its like the Swiss Army knife of RPG's. Alot included but nothing great.Edited 3 times. Last edited 3 weeks ago by sfalletta
    I put 25-ish hours into Fallout 3, and about 10 into Skyrim. This coming off of both Morrowind and Oblivion both having over 100 hours. What was impressive in 2002 no longer is in 2017 (or 2008 or 2011).

Writing is garbage, voice acting is atrocious, systems have gradually become more and more half-baked since Morrowind, quests have no bearing or significance to the world at large. Oh, and glitches everywhere. (APOLOGISTS, PLEASE SEE BREATH OF THE WILD AND GET BACK TO ME ABOUT GLITCHES KTHXBYE)

You are literally a custom avatar running pointless quests in an uninteresting world. That is the Bethesda design style. It's why I love New Vegas, the only game built in the Bethesda style that I have genuinely enjoyed post-Oblivion, because the quest design and writing help build an interesting world filled with memorable characters.

There are too many stellar RPGs that strive for excellence, too many that feature better quests, more interesting worlds, better characters, better systems, better art design, etc.

I'm not saying it sucks and is the worst game ever, but there are far more interesting open worlds to get lost in.
    It's not even the best RPG with the word "sky" in the title.Edited 3 weeks ago by Roto13
    This got double posted. US Gamer comment system got its "charm" from Betheseda.Edited 2 times. Last edited 3 weeks ago by Roto13
  • Avatar for ronaldaugust28 #9 ronaldaugust28 19 days ago
    The only way Skyrim is the best RPG of all time is if Suikoden 2 suddenly changed its name to appeal to a broader audience, and Bethesda allowed it.
    Would like to point out that that prozd video is actually calling out Persona 5

Also, hot take: I'm playing P4G right now, and while I do love it, there's been a fair bit of story let down too. It's a good game, but I feel like it's far from the best that could be made in its genre. Like this is Mother 1, and we're still waiting on Undertale (or 3d sonic in a world w/o super mario galaxy, if that scans...)
    SMT:Nocturne remains my favorite rpg ever and maybe the only true traditional rpg that I've ever been passionate about enough to complete.

I agree with you completely Kat, Skyrim is fine but far from the best. I'm still curious to see how it runs on the Switch.
  • Avatar for brionfoulke91 #12 brionfoulke91 19 days ago
    Count me as a Skyrim detractor. To be fair, I've never been a fan of open world games until recently some Japanese ones started to come out and change my mind. But Skyrim just seems undeniably subpar in many ways. Forget the story... the gameplay is completely subpar. The combat is button mashy, floaty, and boring. The interface is clunky and poorly designed. Enemy design is repetitive and uninteresting. It's not even that interesting to explore the world because it feels like there's so much copy and paste in the level designs.

Everyone has thier own tastes of course, and it's fine for people to like what they want. But this is one of those games where I'll just never be able to understand why someone might like this game. I don't think I'll ever be able to.Edited 3 weeks ago by brionfoulke91
    Skyrim vs witcher 3... SKYRIM BY A MILLION! Persona 4 are you insane ! Bad mouthing skyrims world changing abilitys while most the others dont better it an we do know how boring witcher 3 is .. most pf us put it away after a week or so whereas skyrims re release was a big hit, bad reporting
    @mattyy101 I see you have strong opinions
  • Avatar for cezaramezcua13 #15 cezaramezcua13 19 days ago
    Let me introduce The REAL RPG games:

Icewind Dale 1, & 2 along with both expansions: Heart of Winter & Trails of the Lure Master...let's not also forget: Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 (also with all its 5 other expansions) & last but not least; The Temple of Elemental Evil...& all of Baldur's Gate...any no way josè's on these RPG games now...? I thought so too.
    Skyrim isn't close to best ROG of all time, not even best western RPG.

Not that its not a good game, it is possible to like something you don't honk is the best thing of all time!
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #17 VotesForCows 19 days ago
    I love Skyrim, but there are literally dozens of better RPGs. To each their own though.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #18 VotesForCows 19 days ago
    Trying to think why I love Skyrim, and all I've come up with is how comfortable it is. Its not very challenging (mechanically, narratively, intellectually), but its pretty, there are things to do, and as long as you ignore the story you can feel like you're making your own way. Its kinda like the golfing or knitting of video games - just a pleasant, relaxing experience.
  • Avatar for levirobinson60 #19 levirobinson60 19 days ago
    Skyrim Is the best game ever created it has so much story behind the most minute things that no matter what you do in the game and no matter how long you take, there will always be another story. No one cares about the bugs because its the story that most players play smyrim for. Stop advertising the game to be a shit remake game that the newer gen gamers should think down upon.Edited 3 weeks ago by levirobinson60
  • Avatar for levirobinson60 #20 levirobinson60 19 days ago
    @moochan you obviously didnt play skyrim for that long, or on pc
  • Avatar for levirobinson60 #21 levirobinson60 19 days ago
    @NiceGuyNeon if you've only played 10 hpurs of skyrim you havent even seen the rest of the game and what it has to offer. You have no room to speak here.
  • Avatar for levirobinson60 #22 levirobinson60 19 days ago
    @sfalletta it may have failed for you but skyrim still has hundreds of thousands if active players a day across all platforms. Your not the center of the world.
    Skyrim didn't grab me. Wasn't my jam. World was bland for my taste, combat wasn't my thing and i don't like fiddling with skill trees
    Oh and the best RPG ever is clearly Final Fantasy IX. I mean, that's just science ;)
  • Avatar for brucemeyer15 #25 brucemeyer15 19 days ago
    I disagree immensely. Skyrm is the best rpg experience to date hands down. No other game offers the versatility in just about evrry aspect of the game
    Games like The Witcher 3 fall seriously short of. I have been a table top rpg gamer since the early 80's and Skyrim is the only game that comes close to the freedom in a table top rpg.Edited 3 weeks ago by brucemeyer15
    Skyrim's quests and main narrative is pretty weak, despite having some interesting scenarios and Back stories. Of all Bethesda games, the one with better RPG elements would be Fallout: Las Vegas but then, it was not developed by Bethesda.
  • Avatar for JamesSwiftDay #27 JamesSwiftDay 19 days ago
    Skyrim is more like a fantasy life simulator to me. It's so open-ended that I pretty much just roleplay what I want and have very little difficultly with anything. Not sure if that makes it a bad RPG or not, but hey, it's still brilliant.
  • Avatar for Bittersteel207 #28 Bittersteel207 19 days ago
    I have sunk literally hundreds of hours into Skyrim and enjoyed it immensely, that being said I wouldn't consider it the greatest RPG of all time. I wouldnt even truly consider it open world to be honest, Skyrim is a single province of the entire world of Tamriel parts of which we as players have still never seen. Skyrim is basically a single huge dungeon, which is still pretty awsome I admit.

All that aside however Skyrim being ranked as number 1 wasn't even the biggest issue I took with the list published by Game Informer. No, the biggest issue I took with it was the fact that Ocarina of Time wasn't even on it.
    @levirobinson60 I didn't say Skyrim is universally hated, I said I think the game doesn't stand up. Arguing Skyrim is or isn't the greatest RPG is relative to what each person values in a game. I have a group of games I cherish and replay over the hundreds of games I have played since becoming a "gamer." Skyrim is not one of them.

But its great you love it. Bully for you!
  • Avatar for matthewcooley77 #30 matthewcooley77 19 days ago
    I'm shocked by the anti-Skyrim sentiment here. If what you want is a compelling central story and tight RPG mechanics, then Skyrim is not going to do that for you.

What it is an incredible, totally open world adventure that felt like anything could happen at any time. Its loose structure meant the main story was watered down, but it also meant after escaping in the beginning you could bypass it completely to pursue your own story of a young mage going to school, or a assassin in training, or a dirty bandit accosting people that pass through your forest, or a world weary orc that just wants settle down in Mor Khazgur with his anvil but keeps getting pulled back in. The civil war becomes the background of whatever story you want to pursue.

Its loosely attached main story also made the prolific modding scene possible, which stretched the individualized role playing possibilities far, far beyond what any other game offers.

Its obviously showing its age and I hope they address the bland characters in the next one, but whether its your favorite RPG or not, or the best ever, it undeniably a masterpiece.
    I played a good deal of Skyrim when it released and even went ahead and bought the PS4 remaster for 20 bucks cause it is a nifty game. That being said, I enjoy it just for the scope and how pretty the game environments can be, but the NPC and enemy designs are absurdly generic.

And while exploring dungeons and finding ruins are cool, they all look the same.

But my biggest gripe is the combat. After all these games, it is still so simplistic and dull. To the point where I just choose a stealth archer build.

Also, I enjoy the skill trees, but I hate the leveling system. I am personally not a fan of level up as you use them as it can really bog things down. I'd rather just invest my own points and stats on my own.
    Deleted 3 weeks ago by Stepout
    I'm with you - the Bethesda jank and the fact that Skyrim doesn't do any particular thing great makes it hard to call the best ever in a world that has games like Chrono Trigger, Suikoden II, KOTOR, and the like. Even Breath of the Wild does most everything it does better.
  • Avatar for anthonyleedavis58 #34 anthonyleedavis58 19 days ago
    @mattyy101 she's clearly a Witcher fan. I more or less agree with the list Skyrim is the candle in which all other games are compared to these days and that's a fact, (for all rpgs anyway) not a lot of studios tried the open world model til after skyrim came out
  • Avatar for anthonyleedavis58 #35 anthonyleedavis58 19 days ago
    @Bittersteel207 legend of zelda isn't an rpg
  • Avatar for Bittersteel207 #36 Bittersteel207 19 days ago
    @anthonyleedavis58 then neither is Breath of the Wildand it's on the same list, both games are classified as action adventureEdited 3 weeks ago by Bittersteel207
  • Avatar for christopherescobedo #37 christopherescobedo 19 days ago
    No your right skyrim is not number one it's number 2. Elder scrolls Morrowind is number one. I hate the witcher 3 combat system, and the world is not nearly as densely populated as a bethesda game. Was only able to put in 20 hours into the witcher 3. The thing that makes bethesda games better than the rest mods. Xbox one is the console to own when it comes to mods they give bethesda games infinite replay value.
    It's true that Skyrim has a lot of elements that are just "good enough" and impresses more in breadth than quality, but it's still a fantastically immersive experience and arguably the best sandbox of all time. I have no problem with it taking the top spot in a list like this. You could argue that you don't do that much actually "role-playing" in Skyrim, though that's a very slippery slope to go down.
    @Bittersteel207 There's also more rpg elements in BotW than in most Zelda games. Whether you think that's enough to qualify it as an rpg Gameinformer made the call that it does.
    Skyrim's fine as a game just to get lost in for a little while, but I definitely don't consider it "Best Game Ever" material. Good inspiration for later games, sure, but there's many RPGs I'd rather play over more Skyrim.

Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Final Fantasy XV, the Dark Souls games, and the Fallouts of New Vegas and 4 varieties. They're not without their own flaws, but they're all games I'd prefer to revisit over Skyrim.
    Big surprise that Game Informer named Skyrim best RPG. I haven't trusted their opinion since they docked points on their Metroid Prime review because it wasn't 2D and said that one of the early 00's MK game was the best fighting game of all time.

I enjoyed my time with Skyrim, but it's far from the best.
    Skyrim, like Fallout 3 and Oblivion, is a great base to layer mods on to make your perfect game. I modded Oblivion melee combat to the point that it's almost as good as Dark Souls--stamina matters, blocking is risky, and it's possible to use footwork to force someone over an uneven patch of ground and make them trip.

On their own, they're merely big. Not great.
    I really, really enjoyed my time with Skyrim. I had a wonderful time exploring the world, delving into dungeons and sniping people from stealth. I was constantly surprised by what I'd find around the next bend or sneaking my way to the end of Drueger filled cavern. I spent 30 hours traversing the world before even going to the very first city of Whitehall. I kept wondering where all the dragons were people talked about.

I ended up playing Skryim for 150+ hours and really having a good time. It got tired after a while but I loved the feedback loop of shoot people with arrows, get a rank up. Sneak, get a rank up. But I remember next to nothing of the story, characters. I projected my own story of a wandering adventurer onto the game and it was great.

That said Skryim isn't my top 1. Nowhere close. It's probably not in my top 25. It was great and very fun but not memorable.
    I spent a long, long time playing Skyrim and I'm trying to remember what I did in the game. I made a lot of iron daggers... sold a lot of random junk in that opening town. Raided a lot caves and fought many, many draugr. I guess even though it's a shallow pool, it is a HUGE shallow pool, and that kept me coming back.

As far as top 100 lists... I wouldn't even worry about them. Like I know the games were ranked to promote discussion, but I bet you could randomize their order and get supporting statements from the staff to justify each game's placement.
  • Avatar for christopherescobedo #45 christopherescobedo 19 days ago
    @MetManMas your funny fallout 4 doesn't even come close to skyrim.
    Man, lists are dumb
    Maybe the Switch version will be the best RPG of all time.
    Agree with the "life simulator" comments. A lot of these open world games are increasingly about the sandbox, and that's fine, but then the question of which is "best" comes down to the subjective opinion of the player. Why did I love Fallout 3 but hate New Vegas and 4? Couldn't say I cared for the story in any of them but ultimately I just enjoyed the world of 3 the most. Or maybe I just like Fallout 3 because it was my first experience with an open world of that size and everything after that was more of the same. (Except, well, Zelda manages to be pretty exceptional in spite of all that. )

It's hard to argue that an RPG without a decent story isn't fundamentally flawed. But maybe now we're talking about more than one type of "role playing." The criticism of JRPGs back in the day was that you're not even playing a role at all if you don't have any choice in how the story plays out.Edited 3 weeks ago by swamped
  • Avatar for Death5talker45 #49 Death5talker45 19 days ago
    I love Skyrim.... I am playing the Legendary Edition on my Xbox360Elite right now.... This and Kingdom of Amalur are my two favorite Games on Xbox360. I also really enjoyed Sacred 2 Fallen Angel.. that was a great Baldur's gate type open world action RPG... I am waiting to get the XboxScropio and am looking forward to playing the Witcher 3 finally... This is the first time I have played Skyrim and I have been playing for many hours and have yet to get bored.... The only flaw I have is that the horses get killed really easy from wildlife like hellhounds and bears... I am about halfway through and still have not joined either faction of Nords or Empire... I am trying to complete all quests or 95% of them.. also I have adopted to girls and they are both different in personality... one likes to play outside and the other likes to stay inside mostly..... I really am enjoying Skyrim.... after I am done with Skyrim I am going to play the Witcher 2.
    Skyrim is a strange one to talk about. I love LOVE Skyrim, but only after heavily modding it. Mod out the perk system for something better, mod in more interesting armor, weapons and spells, mod out bugs and weird design choices. I think I actually can't stand vanilla Skyrim. It has a beautiful world (minus the cities) but everything else is just average at best. Mod the hell out of it and suddenly it really is one of the best and most interesting RPG experiences you can have, but you really need to work on a good mod list to get you there.
    Game Informer list suffers from how many of this lists are made.

Usually, whatever voting system used for these top-100 style lists suffers from the "good enough and popular" problem where the top games are not the best, but the ones that the most people liked.Edited 3 weeks ago by choog
  • Avatar for nickpowell07 #52 nickpowell07 19 days ago
    The Elder Scrolls games are not good at anything. Not one thing. The stories suck, the combat sucks, the writing is dull, the graphics are sub-par (when you actually look at them up-close), there's no balance (get to level 20 and you're a god), the character progression systems are broken, the weapons are boring, movement is floaty, the NPC's in this 'dynamic sandbox' have zero personality and don't do anything, etc. etc. etc.

They get by on quantity, and that's it. To name one of these games a 'best of' anything is like calling McDonald's the best restaurant in the world because there are more of them than anything else.
  • Avatar for zappbrannigan21 #53 zappbrannigan21 19 days ago
    You're right, Skyrim is not the best RPG of all time. It's not a patch on its predecessors to be honest. But it's far, FAR superior to Witcher 3.
    I coincide with Kat on Skyrim caring more about the illusion of choice than actual choice. I begrudge a lot of JRPGs for necessitating a guide to find a lot of content (or even undergo certain story paths), but Skyrim lets you do everything regardless of the internal logic because hey, gotta put that on the back of the box.

I've always been massively critical of Skyrim since it came out. Let's ignore that everything about it screams "generic European Fantasy" from its humdrum races (fifteen different elves, black people, two kinds of animal people, and two kinds of white people) to its uninspired music (Jeremy Soule is a hack). Let's forget that its biggest innovation--fighting dragons--is the most basic idea for an RPG ever (Dragon Quest 1 called, they want their subplot back). Let's forget that nothing, but nothing about Skyrim is memorable in any capacity. Let's ignore that combat is a joke in the game, consisting of backpedalling while flailing your weapon around and using about nineteen items to regain health at any given moment. My real problem with Skyrim is how insulting it is to players as consumers, and how players accepted it because of sheer hype.

Skyrim was a sloppy, buggy game. There's never been an Elder Scrolls game that can run well, but Skyrim was bugged out. It needed a day-one patch, for Christ's sake. Bethesda made a big, brown, boring world, and couldn't even be bothered to make sure it ran properly on people's PCs or consoles. Their only excuse is a mealy-mouthed, "Oh, the game is too big to bugcheck properly!". Hey, maybe if you stopped humblebragging about your oversized content like a jock trying to compensate for something and hired someone with a sense for pacing and design, you wouldn't have to make a big, empty world just to say you did.

When I play Etrian Odyssey II, it works. I don't have to worry about F.O.E.s falling through the map, barring me from completing a quest. When I bought Fire Emblem: Fates, I didn't have to download a day-one patch that ensured that the character models stayed on the ground instead of floating around. Majora's Mask came out in 2000, eleven years before Skyrim, and Nintendo made sure every character had their own unique character model and voice clips instead of recycling clips ad-nauseum between them. (Hell, and this was with recycling clips and models from a game that had been released two years prior! Skyrim couldn't even do that!)

Undeniable bad design was shamelessly shipped off to people--and sold off by virtue of hype, a self-important ad, and a stupid release date (11/11/11! Which is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to the game! At least Sonic called it "Sonic 2sday!"). A fragmented game with lazy design, lazy storytelling and lazy mechanics, and people ate it up.

No way in heck does it belong anywhere on a top ten list, let alone a top one hundred. There are way too many games that outshine Skyrim by virtue of being functional and respecting the consumer's money. When you can't even compete with Nethack in terms of functionality, you done messed up son.Edited 3 weeks ago by TernBird
  • Avatar for victorcarvalho57 #55 victorcarvalho57 18 days ago
    I'm thinking about a polite response to this article but it's impossible to do so. So I gess I'll keep all the swearing to myself and just say. Skyrim isn't only the best RPG of all time, it's the best GAME off all time. Period.
    IGN's list, which came out at almost exactly the same time, was a far better list.
    @christopherescobedo I find the setting way more appealing. There's much more diversity in the terrain and dungeons you explore, the enemies you fight, and the equipment at your disposal. The V.A.T.S. system makes combat much more manageable and you have tons of customization options. The characters you can recruit have actual personalities, and sometimes their own quests. You can play old timey music on the radio.

And personally, I like post-apocalyptic sci-fi a whole lot more than generic medieval stuff.

It's not without its own flaws, though. In particular I was very disappointed by just how cut back the dialogue system was.
    No mention of Valkryie Profile? Is this article a first draft or something?
    This is an awful, but sadly unsurprising article. Basically RPGs dont exist to Kat Bailey, unless it is some horseshit JRPG with glorified pokemon in boring turn based combat. Honestly with this and the 4/10 to HorizonZD, its seems like US Gamers shtick is trolling people into clicks now. Shame.
  • Avatar for philiprobinson60 #60 philiprobinson60 17 days ago
    It's funny that Game Informer recently put out a Top 100 RPGs list because so did IGN. I just finished looking through that and it seems quite reasonable.
  • Avatar for brionfoulke91 #61 brionfoulke91 9 days ago
    @Bittersteel207 I wouldn't call Ocarina of Time an RPG. It's a phenomenal game, certainly! I tend to prefer a stricter definition of "RPG" but even going by loose definitions and lumping in action RPGs, you still at least need a leveling system. I feel like that's the bare minimum.

Comments