Skyrim on the Switch: No Mod Support "Planned at This TIme"

Sorry, but you might have to make due with the special Link outfit.

News by Matt Kim, .

I managed to get a little hands-on time with Skyrim on the Nintendo Switch recently. While I can't say much (only because my preview of Skyrim on the Switch would be to say that it's literally Skyrim... on the Switch) I did find out a little more about whether or not there would be mod support for the Nintendo hybrid console. The answer? "Not at this time."

The answer comes from Bethesda's own Pete Hines who told me the that mods are currently unplanned for Skyrim on the Nintendo Switch when it comes out later this year. This isn't too surprising given the need to maneuver around Nintendo's famously difficult ecosystem if players wanted to create custom content. I also assume there would be the need for a custom modding tool of sorts.

Skyrim on the Switch

Skyrim for Nintendo Switch was first announced at this year's E3, but beyond a Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Link outfit, it was the same old Skyrim you've probably played before. From the time I had playing the game, it's kind of amazing that Bethesda packed in their huge world into such a portable device, but that's been my prevailing thought with the Switch since I first played Breath of the Wild.

There are some added little features like motion controls to swing your weapon (think Twilight Princess on the Wii), and graphically the game sits somewhere between its generation seven and current-gen console counterparts. I even managed to get stuck in a mountain wallside so that same Bethesda hallmark was present as well. Basically, Skyrim on the Switch makes a compelling argument for playing your Switch for 50 hours straight, the only problem is whether or not the Switch's battery life will let you.

I am not surprised in the least that Skyrim on the Switch lacks mod support. Nintendo's always been "One step forward, three steps back", and just 'cuz they're more open to cross-platform online multiplayer doesn't mean they'd do something like mods.

Oh well, I don't use mods much on PS4 so I can live with no mods on the portable version.
    I expected as much but I was holding out some hope, because damn, Bethesda really makes ugly character models. That's the main reason that keep me from finishing these games. Everyone is so ugly.
    Deleted September 2017 by Lonecow
    "Not at this time."

Translation: never going to happen but we won't say that because we want people to think it might still happen and buy the game for it.
    @Lonecow Eh, not a deal breaker for me. You can definitely notice the rough spots* if you look for 'em, but on the modeling front Skyrim and Fallout 4 have still come a long way from the creepy faced Action Figure Men of Oblivion and the plastic haired residents of Fallout 3.

* Off the top of my head, Cicero's voice should be on a model that's a lot more animated and has a wider range of facial expressions. Dude's supposed to be a 'jester', not a botox dummy.
    @BulkSlash Yeah from the tone of our chat, it doesn't seem likely.
  • Avatar for Nuclear-Vomit #7 Nuclear-Vomit 3 months ago
    There goes my hope for those nude mods...
    I can understand why mod support might be still reviewed: the Switch only has 32GB of internal memory, and they want to guage how many people actually play with microSD cards installed.
    Add to the fact that these mods can be massive...almost 100GB total in some cases, space could be considered an issue.

With the recent announcment of NBA2k and DOOM having optional installs for some of their modes/features (mostly partaining to multiplayer), however, they might reconsider. Then again, this version of Skyrim does have custom outfits such as the Zelda costumes, so using editors on those might be considered problematic.

Comments