Sonic Mania and Project Sonic Celebrate 25 Years of Sonic in 2017 [Updated]

Sega has revealed the next Sonic game, which looks back for inspiration.

News by Mike Williams, .

At San Diego Comic-Con tonight, Sega revealed its brand-new project for Sonic the Hedgehog's 25th Anniversary. The new game is called Sonic Mania and it's very much in the style of Sonic's original adventures on Sega Genesis. The game features three playable characters - Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles - tackling not only some of the more memorable Sonic the Hedgehog stages, but also new ones.

Sega is publishing the game, but it's a collaboration between a few parties. The first is Sonic Team of course, but they're working with Christian Whitehead, a developer who not only created the fan-game Sonic Retro, but also used his own Retro Engine to remake Sonic and Sonic 2 for iOS and Android, and Sonic CD for iOS, Android, Xbox 360, PS3, and Steam. Indie developer Headcannon, who worked with Whitehead on Sonic and Sonic 2, is helping out and mobile developer PagodaWest Games forms the last piece of the puzzle.

Sonic has had many highs and low of these 25 years, with mostly lows in the past few years. Despite that, the trailer itself is almost perfect, like a look into the secret window in each Sonic fan's heart. The trailer also features some excellent music from Hyper Potions and Nitro Fun.

Sonic Mania is planned for release in Spring 2017 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.

Sega also teased another title, code-named Project Sonic 2017. The brief teaser showed the twin Sonics from Sonic Generations fighting against large robots. The unnamed title is confirmed for PS4, Xbox One, PC, and NX. You read that right, the Project Sonic trailer included an NX logo at the end, unlike the Sonic Mania one. Intriguing, no?

Project Sonic 2017 is planned for a holiday 2017 release.

• Avatar for brodiejohn13 #1 brodiejohn13 8 months ago
    HOLY CRAP!
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #2 WiIIyTheAntelope 8 months ago
    Well there's a feeling I haven't had in a very, very long time. Excitement for a new Sonic game.
  • Avatar for ShadowTheSecond #3 ShadowTheSecond 8 months ago
    While I am excited for this, didn't we see re-imagined versions of Green Hill and other zones in Sonic Generations?

Regardless, Christian Whitehead's work is quite good.
    Wonder what took 'em so long. "They should really let Christian Whitehead make an original Sonic game" has only been an obvious conclusion since his Sonic CD remaster.
  • Avatar for caffeinegamer #5 caffeinegamer 8 months ago
    So, they took a guy that made really good Sonic fangames and just hired him to write entirely new official Sonic games? That's one of the most un-Nintendo things I've ever heard of. Even in 2016, Sega does what Nintendon't. Rock on you crazy Sega kids.
    I am actually quite juiced for both of these. Now to see if Sega can actually deliver.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #7 VotesForCows 8 months ago
    Oh no... the Sonic cycle has started again. I can feel it in my bones. I'm excited. Definitely excited. Cut to 6 months from now and witness my crushing disappointment when this is released.

(Kidding - I'd love this to be good, and it looks good, but you never know...)
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #8 VotesForCows 8 months ago
    Just rewatched both trailers. I love the fonts and music in the Mania trailer. But what the hell is with that second trailer... it looks like Sonic somehow fell into a trailer for a different game!
    Wow, an actual Sonic game I'm looking forward too. What the hell is happening? :-O

Love how they also seemed to realise that was a complete bust and emphasise that project 2017 is being made by the Sonic Colours and generations team.
    Also when it says even hero's need help, I thought "great! here come his shitty friends :-/", yet classic Sonic pops up.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #10 LBD_Nytetrayn 8 months ago
    @caffeinegamer You skipped a step -- between developing his fan game and making a new official game, they had him (and his team) remake the first three Sonic games -- and, barring the first two sadly being mobile-exclusive (but still really good in spite of that), they're pretty definitive versions of those games.

The only downside is that they didn't get to round things out with Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
    I know it's very bad form to make political commentary on a gaming website, but it's as if Donald Trump generated so much negativity that it punched through reality to the other side. Now we live in an alternate universe where truly excellent Sonic games exist again.
    Deleted July 2016 by tonyapaul
  • Avatar for junewilliams #13 junewilliams 8 months ago
    Deleted July 2016 by junewilliams
  • Avatar for KaiserWarrior #14 KaiserWarrior 8 months ago
    It only took like a decade of basically everyone telling Sega to ditch all the newfangled 3D cruft and just make another 2D sonic.

But I'm so very glad that they finally did. Seeing Whitehead's name attached to it immediately gave me positive vibes for the project, as he's been pretty much the only good thing -- and a very, VERY good thing at that -- to happen to Sonic since the turn of the millennium. His ports of Sonic 1, 2, and CD were excellent, absolutely the best version CD has ever seen.

From watching the trailer and the limited gameplay available, the physics look spot-on, at long last. I don't know why Sega's never been able to properly replicate Sonic's game feel, even in their 2.5D outings (Generations, 4), but going back to sprites seems to have finally fixed their problem.

Really looking forward to this. Which feels weird, saying that about a Sonic game again.
    I'm not digging Sonic Mania. Sonic's Genesis-games have aged very well and this seems unnecessary. The developer's penchant for Sonic CD resonates throughout this trailer and it clashes with my love for Sonic 2.
    I'm excited for Sonic Mania, Sonic 2, 3, & Knuckles are really great games; I may have been the only to play sonic this way but I would explore the levels, top to bottom to find the secrets. I was never a race to finish guy, you would miss the opportunity to get multiple chaos emeralds per stage.
  • Avatar for odaiba-memorial #17 odaiba-memorial 8 months ago
    @themblan See, that's the thing: A lot of Sonic fans are constantly throwing their hands up in the air and wondering why Sonic Team just can’t seem to “get it right.” Well, when you have classic fans screaming one thing in one ear, and Dreamcast and modern-era fans yelling some other thing in the other ear, you tell me how they’re supposed to “get it right.” You can’t please everybody; if you try to please the classicists, they complain anyway and the modernists get mad. If you try to please the modernists, they complain anyway and the classicists get mad. It’s a no-win scenario. The best Sonic Team can do is do their best to please both crowds while experimenting a little on their own. And that's what they're doing here by announcing two upcoming Sonic games that scratch both itches.

My only problem with this is that, with Sonic Mania fulfilling the purpose of pleasing classic fans, I feel like Classic Sonic's inclusion in Sonic 2017 seems a bit redundant.
    @odaiba-memorial There's alittle-known YouTuber called ShayMay who says basically what you've said: that the franchise has become too splintered to please everyone. He also does the best analysis of the problems with the 3D games that I've ever seen, if you have about 4 hours to spare.

Comments