Ten Characters Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite Needs As DLC

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite's roster is a bit weak, so here's a few ideas to expand it.

Article by Mike Williams, .

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite is live for everyone now. While the game still sticks to that core Marvel vs Capcom action, I admitted in my review that the roster is a bit lackluster. There's a lot of copy-and-paste from Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and fan-favorites from Marvel's X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises are missing-in-action. One of the pillars of Marvel vs Capcom is a roster of interesting and intriguing choices, so it's shame Capcom dropped the ball here.

There's hope though. We already know about the first wave of downloadable characters coming to MvC: Infinite. Black Panther, Monster Hunter (Female), Sigma, Winter Soldier, Black Widow, and Venom are among the characters that will join the roster in the future. What about after the first Wave though?

I ofer a few ideas into the pile. There is a caveat in this list though. I'm assuming that Capcom and Marvel are sticking with the "no X-Men, no Fantastic Four" rule. That could change in the future and X-Men characters were rumored for future DLC, but for the purposes of this article, I'm leaving them out. That means, no Doom, no Wolverine, no Storm. Sorry folks.

Marvel

Ms. Marvel

Captain Marvel is already a key member of the Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite crew, so why not her greatest fan too? Kamala Khan is an Inhuman who was so impressed with Carol Danvers that she took her old code name. Ms. Marvel has stretching powers and the ability to change size at will.

Imagine a mid-range character that controls like the old Omega Red, but with the added ability to shrink dash to close space. And her Super Combo could see her growing larger, slamming foes down with a giant fist of justice.

Cloak & Dagger

Tandy Bowen and Ty Johnson were just a pair of normal teenagers until they were given super-powers by synthetic heroin. (The 80s were an odd time in comics.) The drug gave them new abilities: Tandy became Dagger, able to throw light daggers that drain enemies of life, and Ty became Cloak, able to teleport people and objects through the Darkforce Dimension in his cloak.

Like Rocket Raccoon and Groot, Cloak and Dagger would come as a matched set. Dagger would be the character you primarily play, a quick, melee-range fighter almost like Gamora. Certain abilities would allow her to use Cloak to get around the battlefield and one of her Supers would call upon him to suck her foe into the Darkforce itself.

Medusa (Inhumans)

I almost went with Black Bolt, King of the Inhumans, but instead I decided it was better to go with his Queen. Medusa is an Inhuman that can control her hair. With her powers, she can mold it into various forms, with amazing strength.

Honestly, Medusa might be difficult for Capcom to pull off in 3D, but I envision her like Shuma Gorath, a character they already nailed. She has a core body, but her hair is the writhing mass that morphs into various objects and forms to attack. Like Shuma, I see her as a close to mid-range rushdown character with some tricky overheads and anti-air attacks.

Citizen V (Thunderbolts)

I needed a villain for the Marvel side of this list, so I'm going with Citizen V. Citizen V is actually the alias of Baron Zemo, a long-running Marvel villain. In this alter-ego, he's the team leader of the Thunderbolts, a group of villains posing as heroes. (At least in their starting incarnation.) His primary weapon is a mighty saber, though he sometimes has some thrown items as well.

I'm seeing Citizen V as a heavier fighter, not to Hulk/Haggar-level, but a rather strong offense and with some heavy chip damage. The closest mental analog I have is Silver Samurai from Marvel vs Capcom 2 and earlier titles.

The Spot

Part of any Marvel vs Capcom game is going a little bit weird. This space was previously occupied by The Orb, an older Ghost Rider villain, but I landed finally on The Spot, one of the smaller, weirder Spider-Man foes. Dr. Jonathan Ohnn was attempting mimic Cloak's powers and the failed experiment covered him in spots and gave him the ability to teleport parts of himself and others at will.

The Spot is a keepaway fighter summoning his spots at different places around the battlefield. Teleporting punches aimed at different regions of the screen, the ability to teleport away to go out of a corner, and perhaps a counter move of some sort. I think the Spot could be an interesting fighter in the Marvel vs Capcom canon.

Capcom

Akira Kazama (Rival Schools)

The Capcom side of things is where we get a little weirder, but I'm starting with a straightforward choice. Akira Kazama is a fighter from the defunct Rival Schools series. Akira is a strong hand-to-hand fighter that uses Tai Chi Chuan and she sports an excellent biker-themed character design.

I see Akira as a character with fairly strong, but laggy normals and a lack of strong air combo game, but a number of moves and counters that set her opponents up for some big combos. Somewhere in-between Marvel Vs Capcom 2's Jin Saotome and Marvel vs Capcom 3's Iron Fist.

Ayame (Power Stone)

Why have you forsaken Power Stone, Capcom? This spot was originally going to be Jack from the same title, but I ultimately decided that Marvel vs Capcom need some more brightness and joy, so I went with Ayame. She's a ninja whose Power Stone form turns her into a bright pink ninja rabbit thing. Perfect.

I'd carry over Ayame's focus from Power Stone: rather weak normals with high speed and some damaging specials. Her Flower Shuriken will almost feel like the return of Psylocke from MvC2, with bright pink flashing around the battlefield.

Sissel (Ghost Trick)

Like I said, let's get weird. If Phoenix Wright, Viewtiful Joe, and Amaterasu can get a shot, why not Sissel? Poor Sissel is the protagonist of Ghost Trick, a detective who died an untimely death, but uses his powers to prevent others from dying.

I have no clue how to implement Sissel into Marvel vs Capcom. His only powers in his own game are to possess objects and to stop time. I do think his Level 3 Super should reverse any damage he's recently taken, like the restart function in Ghost Trick itself. Otherwise, get creative arm-chair game designers!

Azel (God Hand)

This was almost Gene from God Hand, who is frankly long overdue for a shot in Marvel vs Capcom, but I decided we needed another villain. Azel is one of the primary villains of God Hand and the owner of the companion Devil Hand. A human working with demons, who holds as much fighting prowess as Gene himself.

I see Azel as another version of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3's Wesker. Lots of great combo potential, high health, and I'd perhaps replace Wesker's Phantom Move teleport with something a bit more "dodge" in style. Not a one-to-one replacement, but a tweak on a previous great character.

Garr (Breath of Fire 3)

I needed to round out this list with a character that wasn't human, and while I had a number of other choices (like Pink Ostrich from Battle Circuit), I ultimately went with Garr from Breath of Fire III. Garr is a Guardian created to kill the Dragon Clan long ago, but he becomes a confidant for Ryu, Breath of Fire 3's hero, early in his adventure.

Like his counterpart in Breath of Fire, Garr in Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite would be a pure tank. Fairly slow with some great super armor, but really heavy hits. I miss Juggernaut from Marvel vs Capcom, so I'd play Garr like that, but with a little bit of range via slow-moving fireballs.

Who do you think should be added to Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite? What do you think of my choices? Let us know in the comments below!

I'm calling for Gourmand and Doop as my weirdo dream characters. Ooh, and Squirrel Girl. Totally agree with everyone you mentioned though - I'm picturing Medusa pulling a Millia Rage.

Also if you want to tie into the cinematic universe, Quake and/or Coulson could be pretty grand characters too.Edited 4 weeks ago by yuberus
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #2 LBD_Nytetrayn 28 days ago
    Medusa, though? Haven't the Inhumans killed enough of whatever they touch already?

(Ms. Marvel is an exception.)
    Bionic Commando (original Top Secret version please) or maybe bring back Captain Commando or Sonson?
    I really want Gene from God Hand in MvC. I don't know how likely it is that he'll appear in Infinite at this point, but I hope it happens.
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #5 Funny_Colour_Blue 28 days ago
    They should have like...I dunno, a raptor from DinoCrisis.

kind of like the PTX-40A from Lost Planet in Capcom vs. tatsunoko

...Like a random goof ball character.
    If we're talking Marvel villains, while they would be relatively safe selections (compared to other non X-Men/F4 villains) it'd be great to see Green Goblin and/or Dr. Octopus on the roster. Spider-Man's got enough neat foes and acquaintances that you could probably fill a roster with them alone.

Speaking of acquaintances, get Black Cat in there. And while I know there's already a lot of returning UMvC vets, if Felicia came back with Black Cat coming onboard it'd make things extra fun for Spidey. =3

Also Squirrel Girl and Jack Baker would be awesome.
    @LBD_Nytetrayn One crappy TV show doesn't undo 50 years of weird Jack Kirby goodness.
    Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur.
    @LBD_Nytetrayn@Roto13 Damn straight. And lest we forget, there's been plenty of other crappy live action Marvel adaptations before Marvel themselves got involved with these things.
    A breath of fire character! I see Nadia is reminding the staff here of the breath of fire series.
    @link6616 someone should remind Capcom too
    @Jonnyboy407 At this point, do you really want capcom to do something with Breath of Fire? I was keen for a new puzzle fighter until Capcom announced one...
  • Avatar for davedalrymple11 #13 davedalrymple11 28 days ago
    The problem with including the main character from "Ghost Trick" is that you either have to ignore the twist ending (as you did above) or else ruin it for anyone who hasn't played the game.
    I wasn't planning on picking this game up anytime soon but, no lie, if Ms. Marvel was ever announced as DLC? I'd buy the game that day.
    Spitballing here, and I haven't kept up on all the rosters so maybe they've already used some of these:

Protoman, Bass, Vile, Teasel: choose one or two; you don't want all four in the same game.
    Ryu from BoF. Just to confuse everybody. "Choose Ryu. No, the other Ryu."

Blade
    She-Hulk
    Hellcat
    Spider-Ham
    Lockjaw
    Doctor Octopus
    Kang
    Man-Thing
    Arnim Zola
    Phil Coulson
    Stan Lee
    I cannot think of Cloak and Dagger without also thinking of Kate Beaton.
  • Avatar for Captain-Gonru #17 Captain-Gonru 27 days ago
    How about Moon Knight? Either the "classic" look, or his Mr. Knight version. Of course, you'd have two very different playstyles, depending on which you went with.
    Idea: Capcom vs. Sega. I mean Sega's core characters, not the cast-offs from an esoteric visual novel people in America wouldn't recognize. We're talking Gunstar Red, Sonic, Gillius Thunderhead, Joe Musashi (and his dog), the monkey from Samba de Amigo, Nei from Phantasy Star, and heaven knows who else. It'd be easier to nail down the rights to all those characters, because Sega's pretty desperate for money these days.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #19 SatelliteOfLove 27 days ago
    But Garr'd just get decked across the room by a butt nekkid sorceress before he could raise a fist.
    @ArugulaZ While I like the idea of a proper Sega vs. Capcom fighter in concept, honestly I don't really think it would do too well. They're not as bad as Sony at it, but aside from Sonic having a bazillion titles to his name and a select few one-off projects, Sega has generally done a poor job of cultivating its mascots. The All-Stars games were neat, but the likes of Shinobi Guy, Golden Axe Dwarf, and Virtua Fighter Man just don't have the same draw as your Strider Hiryus or Sir Arthurs or your average Street Fighter.

Capcom's crew is always fun to see because even though not everyone may have a successful series, the company's generally done a good job of keeping their characters in the spotlight with tons of crossovers. Morrigan may never see a DarkStalkers 4, but you can count on seeing her in crossover and ensemble titles. Not to mention Capcom has (Had?) some of the best character designers around.
    @SatelliteOfLove Well he shouldn't have committed genocide against all those pacifist dragons.

Honestly, if I was to pick a Breath of Fire rep and it couldn't be Ryu because of Street Fighter Man, it'd probably be one of the Ninas.
    I suppose it’s technically cheating given she appeared in a prior MvC game as an assist character, but why not Princess Devilotte? I picture her as a mix between Doronjo (from Tatsunoko vs. Capcom) and Jin Saotome, summoning her lackeys for most of her special attacks, and her mecha for her hyper combos.

And well, given the attempt to tie Infinite with the MCU, I’m actually surprised Loki was not a character in this game. I picture him as a zoning character of sorts, primarily using illusions, magic and his scepter for attacks.

I would also like to see how they would adapt Ant-man for a game like this. IIRC, he was among the characters in one of the supposed leaks, but the game ultimately didn’t include him, so…
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #23 LBD_Nytetrayn 27 days ago
    @MetManMas @Roto13 I'm not even talking about the show, but I haven't heard much good there, either. But it's been rare that I've actually liked them that much in the comics, and it's worsened by them being forced to be Marcel's self-made Mutant expies.

I forget what it was, but I'll admit there was a recent story/book that began that actually sort of endeared them to me, but the only value an Inhuman would have to me here is one more body to beat up.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #24 LBD_Nytetrayn 27 days ago
    @Thad I'm not opposed to a full-on Mega Man fighting game with those four, but I guess you only meant in the context of something like MvC.
    @LBD_Nytetrayn Right. I wouldn't mind another game in the vein of Power Battle/Power Fighters but with more selectable characters from across multiple Mega Man games. (Course, that would require Capcom to give a damn about Mega Man.) But you don't want to over-emphasize Mega Man in a Versus game; you should go for breadth of sources, not depth.

There's a local movie theater that used to have a Power Battle cabinet. The only place I've ever actually seen one.Edited 4 weeks ago by Thad

Comments