Ten Last Gen Games That Should Join Elder Scrolls: Skyrim on Switch

Skyrim is looking pretty damned good on Switch. What other last generation titles should make the switch over?

Article by Mike Williams, .

While porting over new titles to the Nintendo Switch can sometimes be a dicey affair, Bethesda's port of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim for the platform points a different way forward. There have been cuts here and there, but Skyrim runs great on Nintendo Switch. Yes, Nintendo can keep making sure that new games come to Switch, but there's obviously room for older titles that launched on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Some lost classics could find a new home on Switch.

With that in mind, here are some other games that publishers should think about bringing back on Nintendo Switch.

Fallout: New Vegas

If Skyrim has already made the transition, why not bring over the Bethesda-published game that came out one year before? Is it buggy as hell? Of course. Despite that, Obsidian Entertainment crafted one of the better RPGs in the modern Fallout franchise. The tale of the Courier wandering their way through the city of New Vegas and the Mojave Wastland is a great one, full of excellent characters and meaningful choices. I can play Skyrim on the go, but now I want Fallout: New Vegas.

Dark Souls

The same year that Skyrim touched down, From Software followed-up its PlayStation exclusive cult hit Demon's Souls with Dark Souls. Dark Souls was the game that really kicked off From Software's run on the excellent Souls series. Hell, the Dark Souls community still has the annual Return to Lordran event each year, showing that there's strength left in the original game. Throw all of the content from the Prepare to Die Edition onto the Switch and call it a day, From Software. Fans would thank you for the first portable Dark Souls.

Assassin's Creed: Ezio Trilogy

I did not mistype that. Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection is the remastered version of Assassin's Creed II, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, and Assassin's Creed Revelations on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. What I want for Nintendo Switch is Assassin's Creed: Ezio Trilogy, which collected all three titles for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. While Assassin's Creed: Liberation tried to bring a full-spec Assassin's Creed to PlayStation Vita, it faltered in certain areas. The Ezio Trilogy would be the best option for bringing the series to Switch, with two excellent entries and one solid one in a single package.

Devil May Cry HD Collection

Another excellent collection of some classic games. Yes, technically the games included on this collection—Devil May Cry 1, 2, and 3—actually extend back to the PlayStation 2, but Capcom was gracious enough to re-release the trio on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Dante's stylish hard action deserves a proper portable version, given that the series has never had a portable release on any platform. Fans waited patiently for a Vita release, but with Capcom looking to support the Switch more, it feels like the time is right for Devil May Cry HD Collection.

Borderlands 2

Gearbox Software tried this once before on PlayStation Vita, but things didn't turn out all that well. It was playable, but the Vita just couldn't hack it: it didn't have the horsepower or all the necessary buttons. The Switch succeeds in both of those measures. Bring over Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition with the base game and all of the DLC, Gearbox. It can win you over some goodwill before the inevitable release of Borderlands 3.

Mass Effect Trilogy

The Mass Effect franchise has missed Nintendo platforms for the most part. The full Mass Effect Trilogy released on PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 in 2012. The Wii U received Mass Effect 3: Special Edition, but the first two games in the series never made the transition. Now it's time to make things right. Mass Effect: Andromeda may have killed the series, but we can always revisit our memories of the series' heyday if EA just steps up and puts a port into production.

Red Dead Redemption

Rockstar has already offered up L.A. Noire on Nintendo Switch, with a version that stands up pretty well to the game's original release in 2011. What about another marquee release from the previous year? Red Dead Redemption is so damned good that most folks forget that it was the second game in the series. Wander across the Old West as John Marston, a former outlaw trying to make things right. Like Borderlands 2, give players the Game of the Year Edition, with all of the downloadable content, including Undead Nightmare. Late night forays into the Old West while I'm in bed sounds great.

Grand Theft Auto V

Some people forget that Grand Theft Auto V actually launched on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 first. The game will sell until the sun winks out of the sky, so why not throw it on another platform? I think this is a bit fuzzier than Red Dead Redemption, if only because Rockstar's focus seems to be on Grand Theft Auto Online. Bringing that over to Nintendo Switch would be a bit of a question mark, given Nintendo's online infrastructure. Still, it's doable! We can dream!

Persona 5

Another game that folks might not realize came out on a last-gen console. A lot of folks think of Persona 5 as a PlayStation 4 title, but it launched on PlayStation 3 too. Folks are hungry for nearly any game on the Nintendo Switch and Persona 5 is still in the limelight, so isn't it time for the Phantom Theives to steal some hearts on Switch? And if you're not going to give us Persona 5, at least give us the Persona-lite Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. That came out on the Wii U and deserves a second shot at life!

Okami HD

Come on, Capcom. Why isn't this a thing already?

What other last generation titles would like like to see on the Nintendo Switch? Let us know in the comments below!

I would buy all of these except GTAV. This is a fantastic idea.
    I'd appreciate Persona 5, but that's because I can't bother with long games on console. The others don't interest me/don't need on a portable.

I'll just summon up the old one of Catherine. Still feel like it's crazy that Atlus didn't try and bring this to Vita, or acknowledge how many of us out there were nuts over getting this game on a portable platform.
    But for the Switch it could work, so--- here we go again!

...I'd still prefer it on Vita though :(
  • Avatar for ghostsandgoblins #3 ghostsandgoblins 30 days ago
    I would buy all of these (when I pick up a Switch in '18 or '19)
    Persona 5 or Dark Souls on Switch would probably make me buy one. (Would have to finish my Wii U library first, though).

Pre-last-gen suggestions:
    Eternal Darkness
    Resident Evil 4
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #5 Godots17thCup 30 days ago
    A lot of my first choices are already listed in the article, but there are definitely a few more I'd consider double dipping for just to have on my Switch:

Valkyria Chronicles
    The Wolf Among Us
    Dishonored
    Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection
    Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2
    Any and all Yakuza games
    Katamari Forever (unless Namco decides to finally get off their butts and make We Love Katamari available on a console that isn't almost two decades old, in which case, gimme dat instead)
    I would buy Persona 5, Red Dead Redemption, and I've played most of the rest except GTA5. I might buy Okami HD just because it's Okami and is one of the greatest games ever made though. Ya hear Capcom?
    @LunarFlame17 I'd probably want GTA V the single player campaign if all you're gonna do is drive. Heck, something like a Forza Horizon would be nice.
    Dynamite COP!
    Even though I think a lot of people actually did know Persona 5 came out on PS3, so thanks for trying to make people sound like an idiot, I don't see a reason to port it to Switch. The Switch is already getting the next Shin Megami Tensei game, that should be enough. That said, I wouldn't mind FE Sessions ending up on the Switch.
    Fallout: New Vegas is more the kinda game I'd like to see get a remake in the shiny new Fallout 4 engine. Say what you will about the missing RPG elements, that game looked and played amazingly and I'd love to see that engine used on a title that combines the best aspects of 4 and NV together. Also a full-on remake (with more development time, hopefully) could give Obsidian a second chance to do things it couldn't in the original, like develop the Ceasar's Legion faction more.

Anyway, I would definitely be up for some Dark Souls and Red Dead Redemption on the go. And to go back another gen, I'd love to have Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 (revised PC edition for the latter) and Morrowind on the Switch, too. Heck, I don't even care if Morrowind looks just like it did 15 years ago, I'd kill for a console rerelease that looks and runs better than the OG Xbox port did.
    Yeah, all of those should come over. Everyone on board the Switch train!

I'd like to see the FF13 games, Resonance of Fate, ni no Kuni, eternal sonata, star ocean the last hope
  • Avatar for LunarFlame17 #12 LunarFlame17 30 days ago
    @RepentantSky Some of us don’t have a PS3 or a PS4, so that’s a good reason to put Persona 5 on Switch, I think. Besides, if they did, I suspect it would be an upgraded version, ala Persona 4 Golden on Vita. Persona 5 Crimson has a nice ring to it, don’t you think?
  • Mass Effect Trilogy on the Switch can't happen because EA is still convinced the Switch is a failure.

Everything else is very possible, though - especially with Bethesda, Rockstar and Atlus already working on games for the system. I definitely would love to see P5 on the Switch.
    It's technically not the 'generation' you are referring to but I would love to see the 3DS remakes of the Devil Survivor games on the Switch. I already own both but I would double dip for the ability to play it on the TV as well as on the go.
  • Avatar for matthewcooley77 #15 matthewcooley77 30 days ago
    Bioshock 1 & 2

Orange Box!

KOTOR 1 & 2
  • Avatar for matthewcooley77 #16 matthewcooley77 30 days ago
    Also, Black Mesa, the Half Life 1 remake.
    Another vote for Persona 5 and Dark Souls. But correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Sony hold exclusive rights to P5?

As for Assassin's Creed, maybe Black Flag would be a better choice?

Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 3, Yakuza 4 and 5 are some of the game I wish would also come to the Switch.
    @RepentantSky You're being overly sensitive he didn't make anyone sound like an idiot. So I don't have a PS3 or PS4 and I want it on Switch more than any other game on this list. Also, how does getting SMT have anything to do with whether the system should get Persona 5 or not? You can have both, it doesn't have to be one or the other. Shoot, put TMS: #FE on too, that game was legit great. The more the merrier.
    @LunarFlame17 It's got the kind of ring I only dream of! WE WANT PERSONA 5!!!!
    Great choices!
    I have faith that Dark Souls is going to happen. There were rumors of a Dark Souls trilogy on the Switch which would be fucking amazing but if they just ported 1 with all dlc, that would be fantastic in of itself. I have to admit though, the more I play DS3 the more I like it. It's the most polished mechanically and graphically anyway.

I would take Fallout: New Vegas as well. If I had New Vegas and Dark Souls on the Switch...damn, just damn that would be awesome.
    My pick for a port would be the Shadow Hearts trilogy.
  • Avatar for EpsylonSilver #22 EpsylonSilver 29 days ago
    I would love Persona 5 on the go. Bought the special edition back when it came out and I’m still half way :( I want Tokyo Mirage Sessions on the Switch too! Basically I want everything Atlus on the Switch.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #23 Tetragrammaton 29 days ago
    Just HD twin games? I'd consider shelling out for Trails.
    Persona 5, Okami HD, Dark Souls and Mass Effect Trilogy, yes please.
    @franciscovillarrealh I feel EA just has a weird hatred for Nintendo. When the Wii U was out they kept going out of it's way to make fun of it. Like that April Fools joke about Frostbite not running on Wii U.

As for PS3/360 games I would love to see ports for (since I could just list nearly all the Wii U games with Mike love for TMS #FE).

Persona 5, Okami HD, Pac-Man Championship Edition DX (just thinking about it might mean I might stop playing Tetris over and over on my Switch), and maybe Bionic Commando Rearmed
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #26 LBD_Nytetrayn 29 days ago
    I could do with Yakuza 0 and Kiwami on Switch, but those might be tied up somehow, which is just a shame.
    @chaoticBeat I would totally buy Dark Souls 1 on the Switch, but I'd also like to have the game in some form on PS4. The 360 version's playable on Xbone, but I'm surprised this game still hasn't received a current gen remaster.

We'll probably never see Demon's Souls again though, not even on PS Now, and that makes me sad. It's a PS3 exclusive, so that already makes it a challenge to port due to the differing architecture between the PS3 and anything that's not a PS3. But the bigger problem is the inevitable licensing issues due to how it was published by different companies in different countries. Sony Computer Entertainment published it in Japan, but Atlus handled the US release, and Bandai Namco did the same for Europe.
    @MetManMas I'm right there with you. Demon's Souls is a really special game to me and that would be my number one choice out of all the Souls games to be ported or remastered. I agree with you about the challenge of porting it and that is the one game that I have not been counting on being ported or remade. If Sony were smart they would secure the rights to publish a Demon's Souls 2 but I don't know who holds those rights or what that would involve (like you said). Can you just imagine an HD remaster of Demon's Souls looking like the new Shadow of the Colossus does?

I keep expecting Bandai Namco to announce a Dark Souls remaster because I think they own the publishing rights to it. They seem to be on the Dark Souls gravy train right now too with Code Vein being the next game out of the God Eater team.
    I already have some of these games, so I’m not sure I would double dip if they ever became available on Switch. On the other hand, if they ever port Persona 5, GTA V, Fallout: New Vegas and/or the Mass Effect Trilogy, I’ll definitely buy them. Especially because, as things stand, having such extensive games on a portable console might be the only way I’ll ever finish them.
    @franciscovillarrealh To be fair, it isn’t so much that they are convinced Switch is a failure, but rather that their port of FIFA 18 was (apparently) a failure. Of course, they kinda brought that upon themselves given how the port was not feature complete.
    Resident Evil 4. Limbo/Inside. Call of Duty Modern Warfare. The Orange Box. That is all.

Comments