The Final Fantasy XII Team Will Consider Another Ivalice Game With the Right Feedback

Start writing letters, folks.

News by Kat Bailey, .

With Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age out in July and a themed raid on the way to Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood, Ivalice is back in style. And this might just be the beginning if things break right.

In discussing the return to Ivalice in Final Fantasy XII, producer Hiroaki Kato said that the team would consider another game set in the region under the right circumstances.

"The reason Ivalice sort of faded away was that the original development team that made Final Fantasy XII all separated into different projects, which made it difficult to make another game set in Ivalice," Kato said.

But the HD remake has brought the team back together, opening the door once again for projects set in Ivalice. "Once [Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age] has been released we'd like to feedback from players. Looking at that feedback, we'll consider whether we want to make another game set in Ivalice."

Ivalice has appeared on and off in Square Enix's games going back to the mid-90s. Its distinct aesthetic and cutthroat politics have made the region a favorite with a vocal contingent of fans. It last appeared in 2008's Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, which received mixed reviews on the Nintendo DS.

If Square Enix does revisit Ivalice, it won't be the first time that fans have had an impact on their plans. Back in 2013, director Hajime Tabata told us that fan feedback was enough to convince Square Enix to make an HD version of Final Fantasy Type-0.

Regardless of what they make next, it seems like the Final Fantasy XII team is back for the forseeable future, which should lead to some interesting projects in the future.

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age will be out July 11 on the PlayStation 4.

Final Fantasy Tactics 2!
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #2 donkeyintheforest 4 months ago
    I was so bummed there was never a FFTA3D but I'll likely be happy with whatever Ivalice they throw my way!
    Final Fantasy Tactics 2, FFTA3 -- hell, I'll even take another Vagrant Story.
    The "feedback" they're looking for is for Final Fantasy XII HD to sell ten million copies.
    @donkeyintheforest Yeah, that was really disappointing. I loved Tactics A2.
    Oh man FF T II OR FF XVI in Ivalice!!!
    @Roto13 I think they'd be over the moon if it sold a million copies worldwide
  • Avatar for patrickchaffin87 #7 patrickchaffin87 4 months ago
    Oh what I wouldn't give for a sequel (spiritual or direct) to Vagrant Story of Final Fantasy Tactics. Honestly though, I want them to do FFXVI. There needs to be a truly great mainline Final Fantasy, and they're the team to do it.
    @Roto13 Even I hope for that cause that means more FF in Ivalice which is the best setting for anything!
    All I want is a Switch version of this game. If not, then I'll just wait until I get a PS4 next year.
    @acrowatz That would be swell.
    Wow I thought I was the only person on the planet who liked FFTA. Always been into the FF-adjacent games more than the main series so I have a soft spot for Ivalice.
    I can't help but read this a little as "we will consider it based on the sales of this"

But then,... I've already done the silly thing of pre ordering it. So, I can't do much more support wise anyway.
    @Kat.Bailey If it were any other company, I would agree. This is the company that looked at a $40 port of a 20-year-old SNES RPG (Chrono Trigger) and went "Well, maybe if it did better, we'd make a new Chrono game" after it sold a million copies.
    disappointed that this isn't coming to Vita. I wanted to give this game a second chance and playing JRPGs portably feels too good.
    @Roto13 To be far, that the first time any of europe of australia was given a fair chance to play it. And at that time, paying the cost of a new handheld game for a remake or port of a SNES game had been established as normal. (VC had yet to be normalised then)
    @swamped I liked it well enough, more kid focused story was fine, and I enjoyed the interesting new races. But the judge system, I could not abide that for very long. When I started having to game the system so I didn't get stuck with a "No Melee Attacks" or equivalently stupid judgement, I just hung it up. I don't know if that system was in 2 or not, as I was still annoyed with the first one.
    Here's a bit of feedback for the devs - release the FF12 remaster on the Switch.

FF12 was the last good FF game, and even it was a far cry from the glory days of 6,7, and 9. The series has completely lost the plot, and needs to go back to its roots.
  • Avatar for Nuclear-Vomit #18 Nuclear-Vomit 4 months ago
    Do I really want to mess with the Brave and Faith stats again?....
  • Avatar for garygalloway29 #19 garygalloway29 4 months ago
    As long as Matsuno writes the scenario...
  • Avatar for amightysquall958 #20 amightysquall958 4 months ago
    Yes please!
    I don't need another game set in any specific universe. I just want SE to start making interesting, thoughtful, heartfelt settings and stories again. FFXV was so wrapped up in the meta structure of the world and characters with the intent of appealing to a wider range of gamers that the actual atmosphere and inhabitants of the setting almost felt like an afterthought.

Ivalice is great not because of anything specific about the construction of the world, but because it has had several key games attached to it which seem to get it right in terms of characters and setting being cohesively written for the world they are in. Vagrant Story, FFXII, FFT, FFTA could pretty much all take place in different settings, but they have a common thread running through them that most every town I shop in or dungeon I explore or NPC I talk about the meaning of life with feels integrated into the world and setting and has a role to fulfill in completing my understanding of it.

So no, I don't need a game set in any specific universe. But if Ivalice is code for a game setting which demands an astounding attention to detail and thoughtfulness to its characters and settings, than send me back there!
  • Avatar for Monkey-Tamer #22 Monkey-Tamer 4 months ago
    How about a Steam port of Tactics?
    @nimzy No Matsuno. No thank you. It's weird how people want to return to Ivalice without the man who made it compelling in the first place.
  • Avatar for perpetualgrimace #24 perpetualgrimace 4 months ago
    Only if Hitoshi Sakimoto works on the soundtrack
  • Avatar for Arvis-Jaggamar #25 Arvis-Jaggamar 4 months ago
    Allow me to echo: Final Fantasy Tactics 2!

The Greatest Video Game of all Time and it never got a (real) sequel.

Comments