The USGamer Podcast Picks Their Best Games of 2017

PODCAST | It's the final USG Podcast of 2017! Time to pick our favorite games!

Article by Kat Bailey, .

The USgamer Podcast is our weekly flagship podcast that is updated every Wednesday. You can find the previous episodes here.

Well this is it: The final USgamer Podcast of 2017! And Caty, Mike, and Nadia are here to pick their favorite games of the year! download link here)!

You may have noticed that we've all been posting our Top 10 Favorite Game of the year lists throughout the week. We have the official USG Top 20 (including our overall Game of the Year) set for next week; but in the meantime, we're a diverse bunch with a wide range of opinions, which is reflected in this podcast. Please listen as Nadia, Caty, and Mike share their favorite games of the year!

Want to share thoughts of your own? Email us at usgamer@usgamer.net. We may read your letter on the show!

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

Mike, Caty, and Nadia gather to share their Top 10 Favorite Games of 2017 as well as their personal Game of the Year. Divinity Original Sin 2! Persona 5! Breath of the Wild! NieR Automata! We cover all of the biggest games as we count down the best of 2017!

Music for The USgamer Podcast is provided courtesy of Slime Girls. Make sure to check out their full album Don't Forget here!

Best Boy is Ryuji.

I spent way too much time with the forklift racing in Shenmue and it still did not prepare me for the Super Hang On portion.Edited 5 weeks ago by riderkicker
    I’ve really enjoyed the rebooted podcast this year. It’s a lot of fun and the regulars have great chemistry. Please keep it up.
  • Avatar for StJudasOfSleep #3 StJudasOfSleep 29 days ago
    Good stuff! And Caty definitely knows what's what - both with Nier and Detention. Great choices.

Also, Makoto and Ryuji all the way.Edited 4 weeks ago by StJudasOfSleep
  • Avatar for Nuclear-Vomit #4 Nuclear-Vomit 29 days ago
    @mattcom26 Yes, but I think they should have kept name, "From US to you."
    Good lists overall! Persona 5, NieR, Zelda and Mario definitely deserve all the praise they are getting. Also nice to see some recognition for Yakuza Zero!

I'm a little disappointed by the one big omission from anyone's list: Gravity Rush 2. It was unfortunately overshadowed by so many other great games, but it really is a fabulous game and I think everyone should try it!
    @Flipsider99 Gravity Rush 2 is my number five pick!
    Man, I thought Nier was so, so bad. Everything that's wrong with made for TV sci fi. Repetitive (literally and thematically), failing to do anything with the world they develop, and completely intellectually empty. I'll be pretty disjointed if it wins US Gamer GOTY. The world deserves more Asimov and less weird, empty sci fi. If Nier was converted to a book it would be absolutely savaged- and that's, in essence, the difference between book stories and game stories. Might as well be in the dark ages in gaming on that front.

Worst of all? In the 20+ hours it took me to finish this game, I could have 2 or 3 books that actually introduced interesting ideas or games that didn't force me to rehash gameplay. Awful.Edited 2 times. Last edited 4 weeks ago by FTLMantis
    @FTLMantis That's strange. It kinda feels like your view on what "good sci-fi" is might be too limited, because to me NieR was pretty brilliant in a lot of ways, especially it's writing. But what seems limited to me is just different, who knows.
    @Flipsider99 I think there's a wide variety of good sci fi, but what it all shares is some kind of intellectual or thematic payoff that was just completely missing from Nier. It felt closer to star wars or star trek than anything actually clever. It reminds me of when Undertale came out and it was hailed as the intellectual high water mark of gaming, except that I thought the actual gameplay, structure, and humor of Undertale was good enough that I still ended up enjoying that, just in a different way. I think Nier was just awful. It really rubs me the wrong way when games pretend to be smarter than they are- makes me feel like the entire medium is for children.Edited 4 weeks ago by FTLMantis

Comments