The World Ends with You: Final Remix is Coming to the Nintendo Switch

"Have fun, Neku."

News by Nadia Oxford, .

The surprise "Nintendo Direct Mini" Nintendo sprung on us early this morning didn't address many items on our Nintendo Direct wish list, but the wee presentation was hardly a washout.

Ys VIII is coming to the Switch, along with Dark Souls Remastered, a "definitive edition" of Hyrule Warriors, and a re-release of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (with the addition of Funky Kong!). Not bad at all.

It's the end of the world as we know it. Put your hoodies on backwards.

There was even one "We didn't see that coming" announcement: The World Ends with You is heading to the Nintendo Switch as The World Ends with You Final Remix. The enhanced Switch version of this Nintendo DS RPG classic features the clean, high-res graphics of its mobile port, and it also offers Joy-Con support. There's even new content in the form of an epilogue that has people wondering if Square-Enix has a sequel up its sleeve—but after all the Direct hype, I think we've all had enough of speculation for at least one day. Whew.

The Nintendo DS release of The World Ends with You is 10 years old (ack!). Caty, Kat, and I discussed this highly unique title on Axe of the Blood God last year. Needless to say, we're hyped at the prospect of re-visiting it and delving into its new content. Look for the game later this year.

TWEWY is one of my favorite RPGs ever. Top 20 for sure, and I played it on my phone of all things. I've been wanting to play it again but my tolerance for mobile has dropped over the years, so this as good an opportunity as I'll ever get to play it again!
    It's finally time to play this game. I'm looking forward to it.
  • Avatar for ShadowTheSecond #3 ShadowTheSecond 9 days ago
    TWEWY has one of the most fun soundtracks in games. I don’t always want that style of music, but it works well with the fast paced gameplay.
  • Avatar for admiralsnackbar #4 admiralsnackbar 9 days ago
    YES. Oooooh boy I am into this. Amazing soundtrack, amazing art, great combat and a surprisingly decent story.

Day one!
    I wonder how they're going to implement pins in this one. Stealth "Switch is getting StreetPass" announcement?
    @nimzy That would be a pain, especially when plenty of Switch owners leave their units in airplane mode to save energy. Tho they should devise a way to "transfar" data from the 3DS to Switch.
    I wonder how much XP I've amassed in the eight years since I played the game.
    I enjoyed The World Ends With You back in 2008, but I can't help but be a little worried about just how this Switch adaptation is going to play. I know the Switch has a touch screen when undocked, but devs often forget it exists or don't bother with it since they have to account for other control schemes. And making the game only playable when undocked would likely result in a ton of negative backlash.

Basically, I'm cautiously optimistic.
    I played this for the first time while I was living in Japan.

To say I am massively hyped for this would be an understatement.

Comments