This Mario Puzzle Could be the Dark Souls of Puzzles

Red rum.

News by Matt Kim, .

This Mario puzzle might be the worst bit of game design I've ever seen with Mario's face attached.

Super Mario Puzzle

GameStop released an exclusive Super Mario puzzle for $9.99 (discounted from $19.99), but all I see is a 1,000 piece premium pain in the butt. Imagine sitting down with friends or family for a nice puzzle night only to encounter this nightmare scenario. If you think Monopoly will ruin your relationships, maybe try this Mario puzzle?

I mean, just how many pieces of this puzzle is actually red? More than half I'd say given the background color, as well as Mario's clothes. You probably couldn't even find the corner pieces in this sea of red.

Initially, people online thought this puzzle was fake but the store listing on GameStop is very real. There's just a lot of questions to be asked about this perplexing piece (or pieces) of gaming paraphernalia. Who was the QA lead on this project? Have they tried focus testing this across all groups of players? How long is the estimated completion time?

And no, I won't apologize for the headline.

The red on Mario at least has shadows and stuff. A big chunk of that puzzle is just a repeating red pattern.
    This Mario puzzle must've been designed by somebody who never designed a puzzle before. That's way too much samey looking space and red pieces for a puzzle that big.

There's a reason why puzzles usually tend to be of elaborate background scenes and ensemble pics, it's so people may actually get some idea of where the pieces are supposed to frickin' go.
  • Avatar for Mikki-Saturn #3 Mikki-Saturn 4 months ago
    I mean, I think it's kind of clever. I remember a while back seeing a puzzle that was the cover of the Beatles White Album... so I guess actually THAT should be the Dark Souls of puzzles. But anyway I could see myself getting something like this if only for the novelty.
    DID SOMEONE SAY DARK SOULS!?

*orders three of these puzzles*
    video player download Video players are almost used by everyone in their devices to watch videos whenever they want. We people are always more interested to see a video than hearing audio.
    Looks like a Photoshop layer got deleted and, "Whoops! It went to print, guess we have to ship it."Edited July 2017 by mattcom26
    @MetManMas Alternatively, it was designed by a hardcore jigsaw puzzle fan. There are tons of premium jugsaw puzzles that are just a single block of color, or advertised as "borderless" (because edge pieces are for filthy casuals), or come with extra pieces that don't actually fit anywhere in the puzzle.
    @Kwakerjak That's a possibility. Though in this case, I think it's less likely that it's an international hardcore puzzle and more likely that someone just half-assed it. I'd expect a professional puzzle to look more professional in design than just a name and Nintendo CG stock art slapped onto a red background.
    I would say that this is the lamest puzzle design I have seen in my life. How in the world can we this as a puzzle? This one can be easily solved by anyone who has some kind of sense.
    rent a tablet