Upcoming Stardew Valley Multiplayer Patch Lets You Woo Your Friends

Farming, fighting, fishing, and loving is more fun with pals.

News by Nadia Oxford, .

Running a farm in Stardew Valley is hard work, especially since you're expected to do most of your chores by yourself. Sure, your spouse may decide to lend a hand once in a while, but more often than not they're content to fill up the cat's water bowl and declare they've done a hard day's work.

Fret ye not, Stardew Valley farmers: Your burden will soon be eased. Earlier today, the official Stardew Valley blog updated with news about the upcoming multiplayer feature.

Co-operation, makes it hap-pen. Co-operation, working together (dig it!).

Here's a quick summary of what you can expect when the patch (1.3) lands on Windows, Mac, and Linux in 2018:

• Early in the game, Robin will offer to build up to three cabins on your farmland. These are where your "farmhand" friends will live.
  • Farmhands can do almost anything the main player can, including fight, fish, mine, marry NPCs, and take part in festivals. However, the host player is the only one who can make certain important decisions, e.g. when to sleep, when to end festivals, and whether to side with Joja Corp.
  • You can invite friends into your game via Steam. An invitation method for non-Steam versions of the game is currently in the works.
  • Player-to-player marriage will be possible! However, the mermaid pendant won't be involved. Chucklefish will reveal more info on how players can woo each other at a later date.
  • Local multiplayer, split-screen play, and PvP aren't planned at this point. I kind of wanted to attack my friends with a pick axe, but I guess I'll get over it.

Multiplayer is coming to console versions of the game, too, starting with the Nintendo Switch. Since retrofitting multiplayer into a game that was intended to be single-player is a massive undertaking, it's going to take some time before the new patch is done. A beta for Steam users is planned for the end of the year, and the patch should be ready early in 2018.

Yeah but can you steal your freind's wife?
    @Lonecow Abigail's already the wizard's illegitimate daughter and the mayor is already nailing Marnie, so what's one more scandal.
    It'll be interesting to see how player marriages will work. Would be kind of funny to have to woo my irl wife with random video game items just to be able to marry her in game... or if she had to give me stuff and had to woo me as well. Hate to sound boring but hopefully we can just skip right past that stuff. Hey I'm just saying, giving me an onion everyday for a month isn't going to make me want to marry you.
    I suspect this means we can probably expect to not see the Switch version until 2018 as well.
  • Avatar for Captain-Gonru #5 Captain-Gonru 4 months ago
    @CipherStone I was wondering about any Switch date news, too. But since the article ended with that comment about multiplayer coming to Switch first, maybe it will still be this year?
  • Avatar for brendanmoody68 #6 brendanmoody68 4 months ago
    The plan was always for the game to launch on Switch before multiplayer hit PC, let alone consoles, so I don't know that this news tells us anything about a Switch date.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #7 VotesForCows 4 months ago
    I tried Stardew Valley recently and sad to say that I bounced right off it. Looks lovely though - I wish you all well in your upcoming weddings!
    I just tried tanki online and am amazed that this website has lots of crazy tricks regarding this.

Comments