USgamer Community Question: Are You Excited About Square-Enix's Avengers Games?

What do you want to see from Square-Enix's upcoming Avengers games? Opinions assemble!

Article by Nadia Oxford, .

Earlier this week we got news about Square-Enix and Marvel assembling to deliver games based on the Avengers property. Seems the project is in the capable hands of Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal, the studios behind Tomb Raider and the Deus Ex series respectively. That's a decent indication these games will be big-budget productions and not yet another free-to-play "Pop a Bubble With Iron Man" mobile-based distraction.

Are you happy about the team-up between Square-Enix and Marvel? If you were in charge of the games (and we know you'd do an amazing job), which Avengers would you include in the mix? Which genre would you skew towards? We're listening.

Jeremy Parish Los Endos

Can't say I am, honestly. I can't remember the last good superhero game I played. Well, no, that's not true — the last great superhero game was Crackdown. But that wasn't licensed, you know? No restraints, no IP holder oversight, no publisher vetting, no need to appease a board of directors or Disney shareholders. I have great faith in Crystal Dynamics, but the things I like about their work are kind of the opposite of what I want from Avengers. Lara Croft is most interesting when she's human, vulnerable. Her adventures become a lot less fun when she has to become an invincible superhero, which is kind of the point of Avengers. I'm sure this joint venture will be far and away the most polished superhero game ever, but that's not quite the same thing as being What I Want.

Geez, what a grouchy sendoff for my final community question. Yeah, I'm the crotchety old guy, grumping his way into retrogaming. Sheesh.

Jaz Rignall Editor-at-Large

I'm ticking the box that says, "neither excited nor unexcited."

As a kid, I grew up reading superhero comic books. Spider-Man was always my favorite, but I also enjoyed the Avengers, amongst other series. And I loved the Avengers movies, so my ambivalence is certainly not due to a lack of interest in the subject matter. It's just that at this point I'm finding it difficult to get enthused over the announcement without knowing more details.

An Avengers game certainly presents plenty of design challenges. How do you make the game feel like it's about a team of superheroes if you can only control one at a time? If it's an open-world adventure as one might expect from the pedigree of the developer, how will the team's disparate super-powers work? And since the Avengers only get called together to fight huge-scale battles, how would you articulate that in a game?

Personally, I'd love to see some kind of throwback beat 'em up in the same style as the classic X-Men coin-op, but with all the modern trappings - online co-op play, massively destructible environments, powerful special moves, and huge bosses to fight. That would certainly enable team play, giving the game a proper Avengers feel - but I doubt whether such an old-school approach would be commercially viable.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Square Enix have in store for us.

Mike Williams Associate Editor

Unlike the rest of the team, I'm a bonafide comic fan. It's an odd match, to be sure, but I'm looking forward to seeing what Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal get up to. The magic of adapting the Marvel Comics universe, or any comic universe, is that there are tons of stories to tell. You know what works and what doesn't, you just have to pick up things that work then not.

There's a whole tapestry that Square Enix' studios can pull from. Maybe they want to explore Operation Galactic Storm or the Serpent Society? Maybe they want to focus on the Avengers team that include Triathlon and Silverclaw? Is Jarvis a butler or an AI? There are so many choices, allowing a team to be creative, while also leaning on something that's proven and strong.

Square Enix has the chance to built something amazing here. Hopefully they don't screw it up.

Nadia Oxford Associate News Editor

I'll come clean: Most of what I know about Avengers was delivered to me via the movies. So my perception of Avengers is based very heavily on visuals and movement, and I guess that's why I'd love to see an open-world adventure game that lets you zip around New York City as Iron Man and / or the always lovely-looking Thor.

I wonder if other Marvel franchises and team-ups will be allowed to bleed into the games, though? Because I certainly have days where I'd just feel comfortable in the skin of a sentient bipedal raccoon that's one dumpster-dive away from going completely feral again.

I'll take another Ultimate Alliance game but they have got to stay away from the insipid Civil War storyline.
    Frankly, I don't even understand why they announced the partnership without at least some concept art or some bullshots. Was it for investors?
    When we get more info and actual game footage I will let you know.
    Well, I'm not into Eidos Montreal being involved. I was hoping they'd be working on a new Thief. Disappointing as that reboot was, I'm always down for more immersive sims. Stephane D'Astous, I miss you.
  • Avatar for vincentgoodwin88 #5 vincentgoodwin88 10 months ago
    I think superhero games can work. I really enjoyed traversing the world in Saints Row 4. But I also really liked the X-Men Legends games. And I liked the Disney Infinity 2.0 Marvel playsets, as shallow as they were. Just give me a competent fighting system, characters I like, and some new powers to unlock over time, and waypoints to walk to, and I'm a happy camper.

Honestly though, I'd be more happy with a Musou/Dynasty Warriors game. I think Hyrule Warriors and Dragon Quest Heroes have shown that it's pretty easy to graft a beloved license onto a dumb button masher where you're practically invincible and make a fun game.
  • Avatar for InsertTokenz #6 InsertTokenz 10 months ago
    If it results in games that are as fun as Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Spiderman 2/Ultimate Spiderman, X-Men Legends, or the Deadpool videogame then consider me optimistic. I just have to see what comes out of this partnership first.
    Like Mike, I'm a big Marvel fan, so I'm just happy to see anything that - hopefully - isn't some half-assed film adaptation or cheap freemium mobile title.

But yeah, this is a very early announcement with nothing to show for it. Ilove Marvel, I love games, and I'm excited to see the two come together in a possibly great way... but without any information, I have to be ambivalent.
  • Avatar for I-m-not-Daredevil #8 I-m-not-Daredevil 10 months ago
    Haha, farewell Jeremy - ya grumpy buggar. You died as you lived.

This excites me as a lifelong Marvel comics fan who has ignored years worth of garbage superhero games, but I'll have to see more. I agree that playing games as an invincible character doesn't interest me so it'll be interesting to see how they make this work.
    @I-m-not-Daredevil And that's another thing: they're not all invincible; they've all got wildly varying powersets, from "regular guy who's good at shooting arrows" to "literally a god". It's easy enough to suspend disbelief on that stuff in an oldschool 2D brawler, but picturing a world like Tomb Raider or Deus Ex it gets a lot harder to figure how they'll account for skillsets that are that disparate.

Limit different characters to different objectives? That could be promising. Say, you've got everybody in the same NYC, but going different places in different ways; Spider-Man swings between rooftops, Hulk can jump a city block, but Captain America's just hoofing it through the streets, stuff like that. Don't have Hawkeye fighting the same boss that Thor does (or if you do, make it a completely different encounter; Thor straight-up brawls and summons lightning, but Hawkeye has to handle it like a Deus Ex boss fight where he's running for cover and trying to find ways to use environmental hazards).

I think there's real potential there, but so many variables; it's quite clear that the more characters you have, the harder it's going to be to make a game that accommodates all their different skillsets. But at the same time, if you don't have at least a few characters to choose from, there's no point in calling it The Avengers. (Doing like Ghostbusters and having you play a new guy who interacts with the existing cast is not going to cut it.)
    Eh. It only sounds interesting to me because of who is working on it (Crystal Dynamics) and I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed myself with Rise of the Tomb Raider. I agree with Jeremy that the pairing of Crystal Dynamics + Avengers seems a bit odd given that the gameplay style they had established with Tomb Raider is almost the complete opposite of what I expect we'll see in an Avengers game.
  • Avatar for NiceGuyNeon #11 NiceGuyNeon 10 months ago
    Nah. Not a comics guy, aside from some manga like Berserk (BER-F'ING-SERK!).

And the last time Berserk's first arc was adapted to a videogame it was called Dark Souls (BER-F'ING-SERK!).

I haven't seen most of the MCU movies aside from The Avengers 1 and Guardians of the Galaxy.

So yeah, not interested.Edited January 2017 by NiceGuyNeon
  • Avatar for brionfoulke91 #12 brionfoulke91 10 months ago
    To be quite frank, Crystal Dynamics is a bad developer these days, in my opinion. I haven't like anything they've done since Soul Reaver, and I highly doubt that a licsenced game is going to make me start now.

Now maybe if it'd been given to Platinum, THEN you'd be talking!
    Not really.....
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #14 LBD_Nytetrayn 10 months ago
    @Darkarm66 Which one? Civil War, Civil War II, or MCU Civil War?

Anyway, I'm not NOT interested in it, but others have said, I need more details. Just the same, I'd be lying if I said that any promising prospect of suiting up in Iron Man's armor done well doesn't have me at least a little giddy.Edited January 2017 by LBD_Nytetrayn
    Mmmmm… Let’s see: The Batman Arkham series, the Infamous series, the first Crackdown, the first Prototype, Saints Row IV, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions…

Yeah, I think all of those games show it’s possible to create a great superhero themed game (even actually licensed ones) under the modern AAA model. Indeed, it actually surprises me that is only until now that Marvel is becoming serious about this, especially considering the popularity of the MCU.

In any case, while it’s probably a bit premature given we really haven’t seen anything about the actual game, I can’t help it but be excited about the news. I have been a big Marvel fan for most of my life and the possibility of a great Avengers game (or just a great Marvel Heroes game in general) is just too tantalizing.
    I'm cautiously optimistic. Both Marvel and Squenix have made very good things, and very bad things in the past, so who knows what we're in for?

From the trailer, I'm imagining that it will be a bit similar to DCUO, only more extreme, a post-apocalyptic MMO set after the Avengers are gone, a bit like Old Man Logan or the "Next Avengers" timelines, in which players can create their own heroes using bits and pieces of Marvel concepts and retake the planet from whatever forces have conquered it. That's pure speculation based on very little data, of course.

My main concern on the developer's side is that while both studios have made good games, they were relatively tightly managed and "small" games, creeping around, stealth kills, and while both had superhuman levels of durability, they basically moved within basic human limitations, at most Captain America levels. NuLara was nowhere near as chaotic as OG Lara, who would frequently flip over bears while shooting at them with double pistols, instead of trying her best not to get mauled while shooting a bow at one.

I really hope that they can capture the speed and raw power of the big guns, flying through cityscapes at breakneck speeds, leaping tall buildings, smashing giant monsters with the force of an atom bomb. Marvel heroes tend to be a bit more restrained than their DC counterparts, but they are still way beyond Lara and notJC.

Anyway, until then I still have Marvel Future Fight, which is a fantastic game (for a mobile ARPG).
    @Thad

They manage it in Marvel Heroes and Marvel Future Fight. It's called "cheating the system a bit." They average things out a little. The Hulks might be a bit weaker and less durable, the Black Widows might be a bit tougher and higher DPS, but they still get the point across. I doubt they would incorporate a single-character combat system unless they balanced traits out a bit, so that you can choose to be a bit more durable than baseline, or a bit higher damage, or have certain unique traits, but never get so far from the baseline that an attack character A could take and hardly flinch would turn character B into paste. The only way the could approach something like that would be if they has a solo-party system, like Final Fantasy, in which case more durable characters could "tank" for weaker characters, and they could achieve balance by restricting party compositions, so you'd have to balance out that if you wanted a Hulk or Thor, you'd also need to take a Hawkeye or Black Widow because you couldn't "afford" a team of Hulk, Thor, Blue Marvel, and another Thor.
    Spaeaking of SE... Where's your DQVIII review?
    100% chance I'll never play any of these. Can't wait to get past the Super Hero Blockbuster era.
    Not excited before i have seen what they plan to do. Though the avengers never really floated my boat comic wise. it also depends on the bad guy or what earth destroying threat they have to fight in the game.
    Don't know about the Avengers but I'd be down for an Iron Man game in the vein of the recent Deus Ex games. Armor upgrades could work pretty much like augments, and I always wanted a game where you could tweak and personalize Iron Man's armor. Add in being able to socialize with people as Tony Stark and hacking computer systems with Jarvis and you got a complete package.

A horde mode with Iron Man and War Machine sounds pretty good too.

The whole Avengers though? Eh, put them in a fighting game jk.
  • Avatar for riderkicker #22 riderkicker 10 months ago
    Now that I think about it, besides the first three Batman Arkham games and both Shonen Jump DS Games, the only superhero games I like were the Marvel vs Capcom series of the 1990s. I have no expectations, but think Crystal Dynamics will probably create a game in the Arkham camp with its action adventure. I would really want a Marvel JRPG, heck even by the "I Am Gundam" developers. Wait and see.
  • Avatar for ghostsandgoblins #23 ghostsandgoblins 10 months ago
    I'm very excited in theory, but I'm not optimistic this will come to the Switch or 3DS, so I'm thinking I'll miss out. Some hope for the Switch though.
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #24 The-Challenger 10 months ago
    Sure...unless it's based off the cinematic stuff.
  • Avatar for BabyChooChoo #25 BabyChooChoo 10 months ago
    I'm super excited for any big-budget superhero game that isn't Batman or Spiderman. They've gotten all the love for years. Plus, a game centered around the Avengers sounds like a phenomenal idea for multiplayer.

My only sorta concern is that they'll handle this the same way Marvel handles the MCU. I mean, it's fine in general, but I've always hated how small it felt compared to the comics in that there's really not that many other heroes (or villains for that matter) running around.

I don't need a Marvel Ultimate Alliance sized playable roster, but I would love if they embraced the vastness of the Marvel universe just as much.
  • Avatar for TheWildCard #26 TheWildCard 10 months ago
    Not really, not a big superhero guy and video games already have plenty of power fantasies to go around. That said hearing Crystal Dynamics is involved does perk my ears up a little. I like the new Tomb Raider games but I wouldn't mind seeing them do something else.
    I love Marvel and the fact that they're partnering with competent developers is nice, so I'm optimistic. Hard to get excited about a game I don't know anything about, including genre. That could change as soon as we get more details.

I'm more excited about Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy and Insomniac's Spider-Man. Those guys are perfectly suited to what we can assume those games will be.
    Meh. Unless they bring in warp-striking...
    And if there is a cool world and rpg elements...
    I'm not too sure about this paring either. I can't think of a SquareEnix studio that does action games well enough for what I would want from an Avengers game either. Tomb Raider and Deus Ex are great games, but neither series makes me feel the devs can make a competent action game, be it brawler, or 3rd person with heavy action. And Square themselves, they never seemed to nail it either with Kingdom Hearts.

I would have loved to see what Platinum could have done with this IP.
  • Avatar for UnskippableCutscene #30 UnskippableCutscene 10 months ago
    I'm one of those people who likes random background mutants and small-time heroes. I'm okay with the current/incoming status quo, where the Hulk is suddenly a Korean-American teenager, Iceman is gay, and Wolverine is semi-retired.

Suffice it to say based on sales numbers and message board venting, a lot of comics fans don't like what I like, so I doubt I'll get the game I want. I'll probably get a generic game featuring depictions of the characters that resemble the movie characters but not quite enough to owe anyone a royalty. And that's sad.Edited January 2017 by UnskippableCutscene
    @UnskippableCutscene What? So the Hulk is Korean American in the comics now?

[checks Wikipedia]

"Weeks later, Amadeus (Cho, the new Hulk) , while attempting to contact Maddy, meets NBA basketball player Jeremy Lin, who invites him to a charity game. The next day, during the game, the stadium is attacked by robot dragons. Amadeus manages to destroy one of them but the others escape, taking Jeremy Lin and Arch-E hostage. Amadeus is able to rescue Jeremy Lin ..."

You sure the sales are low just because of the character's race?
    I didn't see anything to get excite over. Just a slow pan and sound effects. Call me when there's a story trailer or gameplay footage.
  • Avatar for evarofzentral #33 evarofzentral 10 months ago
    As a fan of the new Deus Ex games I'm not sure about this. I would prefer it if they weren't just straight up Avengers games. I'd like to see Crystal Dyamics do an action/adventure Guardians of the Galaxy game and Eidos Montreal do a stealth/action Ant Man game, where they could use the Ant Man abilities in the stealth and level traversal mechanics.
    Too many games, too many movies, too many tv shows. I think the day of multimedia cross pollination is in its way out; unless consumers choose to immerse themselves in one property over all forms of media. For me, I want to play the best games, watch the best feature length movies and binge the best long form television. I like engaging in the best of each medium instead of the mediocrity that one universe over all forms of media creates.Edited January 2017 by sfalletta
    Nope. I don't care for Marvel and they basically killed off my favorite series of the past few years in Deus Ex to make this happen. The masses really don't give a damn about Deus Ex and it's sad.
    "Lara Croft is most interesting when she's human, vulnerable. Her adventures become a lot less fun when she has to become an invincible superhero, which is kind of the point of Avengers."

No? The point of Marvel in general is that they're the superheroes who are flawed and vulnerable. Lara Croft would fit right in, especially the newer mud-caked version (classic Lara is probably more DC...).
    Not in the least bit.
  • Avatar for ol\'dirty\'bus\'stop #39 ol\'dirty\'bus\'stop 10 months ago
    marvel's ceo is a trump collaborator so i'll be avoiding all their output from here on out

Comments