USgamer Community Question: What Game Came Out of Nowhere to Become a Favorite?

Do you have a favorite game that slammed you like an RKO outta nowhere?

Article by USgamer Team, .

One of life's nicest pleasures is stumbling on a wonderful gaming experience by accident. One minute you couldn't care less about some title's existence, and the next you're helpless to put it down. Maybe you even cry a little as the credits scroll.

What game did you pick up with zero expectations, only to find yourself utterly enthralled within minutes?

Kat Bailey Editor-in-Chief

Shovel Knight and Demon's Souls spring immediately to mind, but I'm going to stay slightly from the beaten path and share one of my absolute favorites from 2016: Pocket Card Jockey, the horse-racing/solitaire hybrid from the developer of Pokemon.

This was a game I didn't even know existed until Nadia started singing its praises on our podcast. I picked it up on a whim and almost immediately fell completely in love. This game has everything: great art, an amazing sense of humor, and an addictive gameplay loop, all of which is topped off by a surprisingly faithful depiction of horse racing.

I've fallen deep into Pocket Card Jockey more than once, raising up new studs with names like "Horsin' Around" and pushing for the equivalent of the Triple Crown. It can be quite the tense game, especially when you're rushing down the stretch in a crucial race and you know that you're not going to get another chance for quite a while. That it's all experienced through solitaire only makes it that much more memorable.

Honestly, I can't sing the praises of Pocket Card Jockey enough. If you have a 3DS, it's a definite must-own. Go buy it as soon as you can.

Mike Williams Editor

I'm going to stick with something recent and go with the the Yakuza series. As I wrote in my Yakuza series editorial and my Yakuza Kiwami review:

"Last week, I sat down to play my first Yakuza game. I skipped the first because marketing pointed to it being an odd Japanese take on Grand Theft Auto. Since then, I haven't been avoiding the series on purpose, I've just always had something else to play. Even once I started doing this professionally, there was always someone chomping at the bit to play the game for review. Best to let them have it."

"This is my first Yakuza game, but I found myself completely in love with everything the game had to offer. Perhaps if you're a Yakuza veteran, you'll feel limited with such a small area and only a single character to play, but for me Yakuza Kiwami was a wonderful entry into the franchise. It's a solid brawler, a fun Japanese crime story, and a great time-waster. Yakuza Kiwami is the kind of game where I'd load it up on my PlayStation 4 and just putz around for a bit. Maybe I'd complete more of the main plot, but more often than not, I'd just live in the world for awhile. Any game that can make you want to do that is winner."

Yeah, I'm in love with the series. No longer shall I let others review those delectable, delicious Yakuza games. They are mine. All mine. If Sega wants to keep letting me wander the seedy streets of Kamurocho, I'll keep picking them up. Yakuza is a class act.

Nadia Oxford Staff Writer

My heart has two contenders for this title: Bastion and Steamworld Dig. Bastion was probably the biggest surprise, since the game was already several years old by the time I played it, and I forgot whatever praise people lavished on it at launch. I saw the game was on sale ("PROTIP: Steam has sales once in a while! Keep an eye out for hot new titles!!"), and I picked it up. I was intrigued when a bodiless voice started narrating my every move, and totally hooked by the time I found the titular Bastion. Now I need to get started on Pyre.

Steamworld Dig likewise smacked me out of left field. I happened to have a download code, so I parked it on my 3DS. Then a massive ice storm hit Toronto, and the power went out for ages. Luckily, my 3DS was fully charged, so I decided to dig in to Steamworld Dig, so to speak. I lost my heat that day, but I gained a great gameplay experience that was well-suited for the dim, cold environment outside. Poetic!

(Oh, and I have to echo Kat's adoration for Pocket Card Jockey, that game is nuuuuuts.)

Caty McCarthy Staff Writer

I'm not a big fantasy fan. I mean fantasy in the vanilla, medieval-esque way. The most I've dipped into the genre was Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones, and even those were a struggle for me.

So when the world fell in love with The Witcher 3, I didn't think I would be into it. "Fantasy is really not my thing," I told myself. I shrugged off the game for months, even as it dominated Game of the Year awards. Finally though, I decided to give it a shot. I picked it up on sale for like $25 (which almost feels like a crime, honestly), and fell in love with it entirely. I was so enamored by Geralt, Yennefer, Ciri, and everyone else. Its quests—even the most mundane ones—were always memorable. I remember the heartache through the Bloody Baron quest line, just as I remember breaking into a shack to get a bitter woman's frying pan, only to find its resident dead inside. I remember Geralt whipping out an apple to eat as he cheekily dictated an autopsy, just as I remember (seemingly) throwing a baby into an oven, a quest that leads into Geralt himself being surprisingly fooled.

What makes The Witcher 3's world so special is that it teems with life. No character is perfect, just about everyone is flawed, and they're hard to forget. Arguably, the first DLC expansion Hearts of Stone is somehow even better than the sprawling campaign, with a tight 10-or-so hour journey that makes you laugh and a tad misty eyed throughout it. I haven't properly dove into its second expansion yet (despite the beautiful area of Toussaint, its story hasn't grabbed me yet), but I'm looking forward to spending more time with my favorite white wolf, Geralt. After years of playing I'm nearly 150 hours deep, and The Witcher 3 still surprisingly has my heart. Probably always.

Matt Kim News Editor

Thankfully, there have been plenty of games that have surprised me over the years. Discovering your new favorite game is what makes the medium so exciting. Off the top of my head, 2016's exceptional crop of shooters were all very surprising. I'm not usually one for first-person shooters but Doom and Battlefield 1 were both exceptional games that overcame whatever cynicism I might have had about either game.

Another big surprise for me was Telltale Games' Tales from the Borderlands. I'm actually not a huge fan of Gearbox's punk-y western FPS, but under Telltale's exceptional writing, the world of Borderlands took on new layers and resonated with me for the first time.

However, the biggest surprise for me in gaming is probably From Software's Souls series, starting with Demon's Souls. I jumped onto the Souls bandwagon a bit late, having begun my playthrough of Demon's Souls maybe a few months after the first Dark Souls came out. While I knew the series had a reputation for being difficult, what I didn't realize was that I'd fall in love with From Software's entire design philosophy for their Souls series (and Bloodborne). Everything from the way the designers handle mythology, to the multiple game systems swept me up and never let me go. I came into Demon's Souls expecting a challenge, but I left with a revelation that has stuck with me ever since.

Related Tags

Splatoon 1. I wasn't really into it until I played the first Global Testfire. Playing is believing. Over 1,000 hours played. Favorite game of the generation.

As a consequence, I haven't fallen in love with Splatoon 2 because I love Splatoon 1 so much.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #2 SatelliteOfLove 27 days ago
    A great majority of my all-time favorites.
    Ditto to Splatoon,@themblan.

Also Stardew Valley. I heard of it from Axe of the Blood God and Nadia's Twitter, and fell for every part of it.
    Kid Icarus Uprising came out of nowhere. The game didn't interest me when it was announced. I wasn't excited by any of the footage shown. And then I heard how hard the controls seemed to be in previews. All that stuff actively turned me off.

Then the game came out and then there was that GAF thread. The game received mostly good reviews, but the people in that thread were straight up fawning over it. They kept evoking Star Fox 64 and since that's one of my favorite games ever, I decided to buy it. Plus, it's Sakurai. When has he ever let us down?

From the first level, I was into it. By the time Hades showed up, I was completely smitten. I was in love. I was laughing at all jokes. I was experimenting with the weapons. I knew that i was experiencing a masterpiece. When I finished it, I hailed it a new classic and called it a candidate for game of the decade. I still believe this.

It came out of nowhere and snatched my soul. Too bad Sakurai won't give me a sequel any time soon.
    Monster Hunter. Gave it a shot on the Wii cause a friend kept talking about it and have been hooked ever since. Can't wait for MHWorld.
    That or Fallout 4. I mean, I kind of expected to like Fallout 4 but I was taken aback when I saw that my Steam says I've put 360 hours into it. Mods will do that I guess, so many ways to change things up.
    The first title in the Borderlands series. I liked the comic book style of the graphics, but the gameplay initially felt boring to me. But after a week where I had decidedly pushed it aside, I picked it back up out of boredom, and suddenly I was addicted. Played through that one many more times.
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #7 Godots17thCup 27 days ago
    I've had quite a few games sneak up on me to become big favorites; I hadn't heard of Stardew Valley until a week or so after its release, when my sister started playing it and then quickly sent me a copy so that she could have someone to share her obsession with. Now I've put in 140+ hours into it myself and have started building a second farm alongside my original profile, and I'll undoubtedly, gladly start all over again once the multiplayer update and Switch version release.

I also took chances on both Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and Yakuza 1 based on little more whims and a couple of positive contemporary reviews, and now they are both easily among my most cherished on-going series in gaming.
    Bionic Commando was that for me. I think I was trying to get Zelda 2 or maybe Super Mario 2 but there were shortages, so it became my birthday present. Who knew it would be so awesome? It wasn't like I could log onto metacritic and read all the glowing reviews.
    I'm going to say Ys. I had never heard of it prior to purchasing Ys Origin on Steam a few years ago, but I heard the soundtrack and thought, you know what, that's a great song, maybe I should get that game. So I did.

And I played through Ys Origin three times straight away, immediately followed it with Ys I and II Chronicles on Steam, followed that up with Ys: The Oath in Felghana, and suddenly I had played zero through 3 of the timeline. At that point I knew Ys: Memories of Celceta would release on PS Vita as an exclusive and that I could download Ys SEVEN as a PSP game onto the Vita to start so I bought a PS Vita, downloaded Ys SEVEN, preordered Memories of Celceta's collector's edition (the last time I bought one of those was Halo 2) and then for a second JUST A SECOND I EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT BUYING A PS2 JUST FOR YS VI. My better judgment pulled through and now I have Ys VI on both Steam AND GOG just to show Falcom I care and want more of this.

And now, Ys SEVEN is on the way to PC, Lacrimosa of Dana is allegedly coming out on the PS Vita and PS4 so I can still play it if everything works out, and I've still got my fingers crossed for a canonical, English release/remake of Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand.

I became a fan out of the blue, I'm a total addict for Ys!

Ten honorable mentions:

The Witcher (the original)
    Tales from the Borderlands
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    Final Fantasy XIII (I love the battle system!)
    Spec Ops: The Line
    Bastion
    80 Days
    Device 6
    Klonoa
  • Avatar for Nuclear-Vomit #10 Nuclear-Vomit 27 days ago
    Shadowrun for Genesis (not Snes). Oh, how Joshua likes punching out random passerbys.

Long ago, I was at Toy'R'US and had a choice to make: A top loading NES or this game. I went into the shadows and didnt look back.
    Cave Story. I first saw it on the Wii's Nintendo Channel and watched it's video just because I was amazed a game could have so unpretentious a title as "Cave Story." Needless to say, I was amazed when I found out that this free download was, in fact, a style-defining masterpiece (the style in question being, most specifically, indie/retro NES-like metroidvania). Moreover, Cave Story remains one of the most immaculately crafted games I have ever played.
    Burnout 3: Takedown. I remember seeing the insane images of glass and bent metal going in all directions in EGM and just thinking, I NEED THIS. I went to preorder it at gamestop and the guy literally said, "Burnout, really?" I got so hooked to that gameplay and progression system even with the stupid, superfluous EA DJ tutorial crap.

Revenge was decent, but they've never topped 3 in my book.Edited 4 weeks ago by chaoticBeat
    Animal Crossing on Gamecube. I remember seeing screenshots in Nintendo Power and thinking, what's the point and who is this game for? But the real time clock intrigued me and the life sim cartoonish look gave me some harvest moon 64 vibes.

After turning it on and checking in on my town every day for a few weeks, I realized I was hooked. Nintendo had just out-simed Sims, which I had also tried playing but got bored of pretty quickly. And the playable NES games!! I also got to trade my memory card with a friend to score some rare peaches. That game came out of nowhere and I have so many good memories playing it.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #14 VotesForCows 27 days ago
    Interesting choices. I'm rarely surprised, cos I do a lot of digging before I buy anything. So the biggest surprise for me was Rocket League, when it first released on ps+. Expected nothing, as a fan of neither cars nor football, but loved it.
    Tokyo Mirage Session's totally charmed me. The characters, the music, the battle system, and so much more.

VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action was a hit that I was interested in but I didn't realize how much I would fall for it until I played it. From one story sequence, I ended up started taking karate.

Project X Zone 2. I never knew a game could have so much crossovers and puns especially a rpg.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #16 LBD_Nytetrayn 27 days ago
    Several, including some named in the article and comments like StramWorld Dig (I believe I was sick when it came out, otherwise I'd have pounced immediately), Bionic Commando, and Burnout 3.

But the freshest in my mind echoes Mike, only not; I got into Yakuza through meeting the characters in Project X Zone 2, of all places, and was immediately enthralled, especially when I learned a prequel was coming out within the year.

I followed news of its arrival, albeit from a slight distance, not entirely sure what I was getting myself into, but it just clicked, and I'm working on Yakuza Kiwami now.
    So I've just started my third play through of Darksiders (now on PS4). I'll fight anybody who disagrees it's the best Zelda game.
    MySims Kingdom (Wii). The game bought me over with its translation into my native language (not all that common). Since there were no voiceovers, they didn't have to squeeze lines into a limited number of syllables.

That game made me a fan of MySims series, or rather the Kingdom and Agents games: Racing was mostly OK, the first had too many loading screens, Party I haven't tried and SkyHeroes was a major letdown.

I still rank Agents very highly on my list of favourite games on any platform.
    @chaoticBeat I had never heard of Burnout until I played the demo of 3, yeah that's up there for me.

Also on the list is Batman: Arkham Asylum, which I was only vaguely aware of but didn't pay attention to (licensed games meh) but the demo was so good I immediately went the the store and bought a copy! And the first Tony Hawk's Pro-Skater was amazing too.
    @Pandalulz It is a damn fine adventure game and one of the few that I've persevered all the way through. I really wish that Darksiders 2 had a tighter-focused design because I just got kind of lost and bored with it.
    @TheWildCard I can't for the life of me understand how EA could just let that series lapse. It is literally my favorite racing series ever and now I have to depend on Need for Speed for a similar fix. It's good but it's not the same by a long shot.Edited 4 weeks ago by chaoticBeat
    Shadow of the Colossus - I had watched a friend play Ico and had seen some E3 coverage of SotC, but I didn't expect it to become one of my favorite games of all time. I love the sheer scale of the boss battles, the natural beauty of the world (although it could definitely learn some tricks from Zelda: BotW) and the feeling of being a total badass when you finally make a boss topple to the ground.

Needless to say, I cannot wait for the remake, as both the density of the world (or lack thereof) and the controls could use an overhaul.
    Splatoon 1 was the most recent but my all time surprise love came from the SNES era, that game was Uniracers. The enjoyment I remember of those races and stunts are still with me.
    Tales from the Borderlands is a good choice. I bought it on sale, even though I didn't really like Borderlands, and it was absolutely wonderful. Great characters in a great world. I ended up going back and playing all the Borderlands games because of it, and now I'm a fan of the series.

Viewtiful Joe is a big one for me. I randomly rented it when it came out and fell in love with it. It made me a fan of Hideki Kamiya, and Clover Studios, and which lead to me being really excited for Platinum Games when they formed. You could say Viewtiful Joe lead me to a lot of my favourite games, like Okami and Bayonetta.
    I am a blasphemer who forgot the pure joy and adrenaline rush of SSX Tricky in my honorable mentions.

It basically cemented what I'd come to want from most of my future gaming experiences: big, loud, goofy, fun that never takes itself seriously. Kaori and Mac Forever!
    The disaster report , it got bad reviews and was overlooked but I saw a tips and tricks guide on it and gave it a shot. What I experienced hasn't been reproduced in any other game since and was immersing and captivating for me at the time, I up until that point wasn't really feeling the 3D generated graphics yet, this helped me see the promise of the future they held.Edited 3 times. Last edited 4 weeks ago by shurn
    I hate to use the same game to answer on two consecutive weeks, but for me it was Frequency. I'd never played a rhythm game before, and playing Frequency led very quickly to them being among my favorite games. I got into DDR, was all over Guitar Hero and Rock Band at launch, and love games like Theatrhythm and Elite Beat Agents. And I owe it all to a music game featuring a style of music I don't particularly like!
  • Avatar for mannycalavera #27 mannycalavera 26 days ago
    From a time when I only had access to university computer lab for playing games and played a to ne of flash games - Aether (beautiful music, journey and ending).

I rented Spider-Man for ps1 from blockbuster for my younger brother as he was a big fan - this was a brilliant game that came out of nowhere for me as I didn't know anyone who had played it and hadn't read anything about it. We completed it almost ten times since then.

Recently, the Nioh demo on PS4 was a massive surprise and I bought it on the strength of the demo
    Don't starve. It was a freebie early on with psplus. I played the heck out of that game.
  • Avatar for Captain-Gonru #29 Captain-Gonru 26 days ago
    @Cire17 I could practically copy and paste your post here. Animal Crossing for Gamecube was an impulse buy for me. My wife was waiting for The Sims to come out on PS2, and I think it had gotten delayed or something. So, while browsing the Gamecube section, I come across what I assumed might fill the time until Sims finally was released.
    I think her and I have played one version or another of Animal Crossing almost every day since.
  • Avatar for SuperShinobi #30 SuperShinobi 26 days ago
    Basically any game I played before 1986. That was when I started reading video game magazines and it became rare that a top game wouldn't be on my radar. Parappa the Rapper was one of the exceptions, which seemed to come from out of nowhere. The idea of a simplistic rhythm-based game featuring a rapping dog being any good seemed implausible at the time, but the game quickly won me over.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #31 Tetragrammaton 26 days ago
    I would say Bastion, but it's not true. My greatest surprise love is a game called Sequence, retitled a few years ago to "Beyond the Echo".

It came out on Steam around the time Bastion did and I bought them both. They're kinda similar: set in worlds that are a mix of fantasy and high tech, with shockingly strong voice talents and killer soundtracks. Gameplay wise, Sequence/BTE is way fresh. It's a mix of RPG and DDR clone.

Yes really.

It's also got a slightly better soundtrack IMO, provided by Ronald Jenkees. Less thematic than Bastion, but a few BTE pieces are still part of my workout playlist.
    The last of us. I never liked horror games, but I played it because of a friend who had a PS3 and it was the only one which wasn't sports or fighting game. It was loads of fun to play it turns and I never thought I could enjoy so much a game lije that.
    I wouldn't say they came entirely out of nowhere, but most games that became part of my favourites are puzzle games. For some godforsaken reason, I just really love the things. I'd never played a Hitman game when I got Hitman GO... I think from one of the Square Enix Holiday Surprise bundles they have at the end of the year, and it was so good. So, so, so good. In fact, the entire GO series is *chef's kiss*.

A title I didn't expect to like was RIVE (and that's not Dutch pride talking), but after playtesting it at Two Tribes twice I really loved the game. I saw the words "twin-stick shooter" and was like nah, but actually playing it was a lot of fun. Definitely a great game.
    Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! for the DS. A rhythm game in Japanese with no music I know, as if that would appeal...

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga for the GBA. Another Mario rpg just like the SNES one, it will probably be stale and a bit boring, as if that would appeal...

Starcraft for PC. Looks a bit crap compared to Total Annihilation and it couldn't possibly be as good as Warcraft II anyway. As if that would appeal...

Europa Universalis III for PC. Spending a billion hours to find out how the game works and not fully controlling your provinces with vassals and whatnot, as if that would appeal...

Binding of Isaac for PC. Zelda is brilliant, but the first game wasn't the best and the art style is really not my thing. As if that would appeal...

In short, I read reviews and try games out because first impressions can be completely wrong and all the above became strong favourites. Also, shoutout to the fantastic Xenoblade Chronicles X.
  • Avatar for InsertTokenz #35 InsertTokenz 26 days ago
    Before even reading about this game in magazine reviews, me and some friends who were members of the local town BBS at the time (Boy, do I feel kind of old now :P) were invited by the Sysop to take part in a local DOOM 2 LAN Deathmatch tournament held at his place one winter weekend. With nearly 2 days of matchups done and a winner crowned, the Sysop offered to let us play some other multiplayer games he had available on the network. It was then we were introduced to a little known fantasy themed game called Warcraft 2: The Tides of Darkness, and thus our first foray into the wild new frontier of RTS games truly began.Edited 4 weeks ago by InsertTokenz
  • Avatar for One_Vurfed_Gwrx #36 One_Vurfed_Gwrx 26 days ago
    My surprise game of this year was Sexy Brutale. I had seen the title and instantly dismissed it withlut even investigating the game. Saw a feview just before release that made it sound intriguing and took a gamble. Really enjoyed it and it was my main game until I finished it. Nice atmosphere and setting. And the game lasted just long enough not to wear out its welcome mechanicswise. And I almost skipped it because it had a terrible title...
    Saw a mention of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and I'd have to say that. Most games I've purchased as an adult have been heavily researched first. I only got XCOM because it was thrown in for free with my PC preorder of Bioshock: Infinite. I knew nothing about the series, but loved other tactical strategy games (Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, FFT).

I'm not one for sci-fi usually, but everything in this game grabbed me - the art, the combat, the base-building, and definitely the stakes. Played through it twice, and beat the 2nd game in about a week (35ish hours).

Thanks for the freebie, Amazon.
    Recently it was definitely persona 5. I had played golden but it didn't grab me like 5 did. I put over a hundred hours into that game and it didn't even feel like it. I really like the relationship aspect of it.
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #39 The-Challenger 25 days ago
    The one game that immediately comes to mind is Final Fantasy VII. At the time I only had an N64 and the idea of owning two consoles at once seemed unnecessary. I had seen countless ads trying to sell FFVII as some grandiose adventure in polygon land. But everything about it felt off when compared to the previous 6 games in the series.

Anyway, one of my friends sold me on the game (and the PlayStation) and when I finally got a chance to play it myself ... I actually kind of hated it. However, once I reached the Shinra building and finally left dingy old Midgar behind the story and other aspects of the game finally caught my attention. I also found the horror vibe the game would occasionally dabble in, to be very satisfying: The slaughter of all the Shinra employees and the Shinra mansion/Cosmo Canyon parts, and when Cloud loses himself and kicks the shit out of Aeris , not to mention the gas chamber and the whole Black Materia debacle; so many memorable moments. Now FFVII stands as one of my favourite FF games.Edited 2 times. Last edited 4 weeks ago by The-Challenger
    Oh, tough. I'm sure there have been many but I'll go with FFXV. I've never liked a mainstream Final Fantasy game and even my taste in spin-offs is questionable. (Love Tactics Advance & A2, hate the original. I know! I know.) Never clicked with FFVII before my save file got corrupted and was warming up to FFX when I got hit by a boss I couldn't defeat and gave up instead of grinding.

So I was fully ready to ignore FFXV but then I started seeing coverage of features that really appealed to my interests: a tsundere prince, open world exploration, chocobo road trips... Picked it up fully expecting to be baited and switched again or annoyed to death by melodrama and I ended up loving it. I still can't really articulate why. It's just very well tailored to my specific interests.

P.S. PLAY. POCKET. CARD. JOCKEY. It took me 50 hours to defeat the main campaign. IN SOLITAIRE!
    Anything my buddy Nick recommends. In high school, he told me to check out Final Fantasy Tactics. In college, he brought over a game called Demon's Souls. Those are my two favorite games of all time. More recently he recommended Hollow Knight despite my dislike of 2D platformers and Metroidvanias; it's in my top 3 for the year so far.
    In some cases it's tough to remember which games genuinely surprised me as I ended up playing them so much I can't remember what prompted me to try them in the first place. They're like constants that have always been in my life. That said, I can remember a few:

Mass Effect 2
    VVVVVV
    Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts
    GoldenEye
    WaveRace 64
    BulkSlash (not me, the Saturn game ;))
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Blaster Master Zero
    Super Luigi U
    Mario Galaxy 2
    Kururin Squash
  • Avatar for timelessgamer #43 timelessgamer 25 days ago
    One day I downloaded "Sleeping Dogs" as the free games with gold entry for the month. It was a game that had completely slipped my radar when it was originally released. I was blown away by how much time was put into a game that somehow I never heard of. It had the GTA open world theme with great driving, Arkham Asylum hand to hand combat, awesome acting and story, even the mini games to pick locks and bypass alarms showed thought by the developer. Overall it is one of my favorites on the 360. The fact that I basically stumbled upon it for free blew my mind.
    Either Far Cry 2 or Invisible Inc for me. The first one I bought on the 360, largely because it was a while after release and ridiculously cheap. And now I think it's one of the best, most immersive FPS games ever made.

I got Invisible Inc after it was recommended on RPS, and not knowing anything about the game or the developer. Ever since I have been obsessed with the thing. I'd even rate it above the newer XCOM games (which I also love).
  • Avatar for Happy-Mask-Salesman #45 Happy-Mask-Salesman 24 days ago
    Year Walk & The Last Door are 2 that I gave a chance and they ended up being all time favorites
  • Avatar for Number1Laing #46 Number1Laing 24 days ago
    Goes way back but I rented Tomba! 2 on the PlayStation and played it so much I went straight from the rental place to the store to buy a copy. Platformers were not big on the PlayStation and this game showed what the genre could do that simply was not possible on the 16-bit systems where it thrived. I guess it scratched a long-dormant itch as well. Nowadays it's thought of as a PS classic (deservedly) but these were under-the-radar games at the time. I didn't know many people IRL who played it.

Also I never played Persona but tried P3 Portable and was sucked in. I really loved that game and think it just worked perfectly in that format. Played it a ton. I remember playing P4 Golden and very much missed the cursor.Edited 2 times. Last edited 4 weeks ago by Number1Laing
    @Captain-Gonru Same here! They're such a satisfying time sink. New Leaf was the most refined so far I'm looking forward to the inevitable Animal Crossing Switch.

Comments