USgamer Community Question: What Game Can You Remember Your Parents Playing?

*DJ Khaled voice*: Another one. (Another USgamer Friday Community question.) This week: What game can you remember your parents playing?

Article by Caty McCarthy, .

My mom had me when she was pretty young, as I've probably mentioned before somewhere, somehow. As a result of being a child of the early 1990s, I naturally grew up around video games. I watched my mom play the likes of Sonic the Hedgehog, Resident Evil, and of course many, many Final Fantasy games.

As I penned a mini-list this week paying homage to some noteworthy FMV (or FMV-incorporating) games, I remembered that time I accidentally watched some of my mom playing Resident Evil. And it scared me. Genuinely scared me. Looking back on that game now and its blob-like polygons, it's kind of hilarious how much that somehow affected my child mind. Regardless, games were just always a part of my tiny little household growing up.

That's why this week, we want to hear what games you remember watching your parents play while you were growing up. Were they tabletop games? Were they odds and ends, like The Sims? Or alternatively, were they late bloomers in the land of games, and didn't pick them up until they were seemingly everywhere? Let us know in the comments!

Note: Unfortunately Mike and Nadia are out today, but luckily Kat, Matt, and myself have some memories to share!

Kat Bailey Editor-in-Chief

I picked up my gaming habit from my dad. Back before such things were commonplace, we had computers and modems floating around the house. He even had a laptop—a massive brick that resembled a briefcase with a tiny screen. Under our TV was the ill-fated Atari 5200, which famously failed to match the success of the 2600 and signaled Atari's eventual demise.

We played a lot of games together through my early childhood—Star Raiders, Super Mario Bros., Street Fighter II—but as tends to happen, he eventually fell out of the habit because he didn't have enough time to play. The game that finally broke him was SimCity 2000. I had brought home the disk, but it was my dad who wound up commandeering the computer for the entire weekend, feverishly planning out his virtual metropolis. It was the most hooked I've ever seen my dad on a game. You literally could not drag him away from the keyboard.

The spell was finally broken when the weekend ended and he had to go back to work. He put away the game and said, "I don't have time for this anymore." And that was it. But whether he knows it or not, I will always consider the time we spend bonding over videogames to be some of the most important moments of my childhood, and I'll always be grateful for them.

Matt Kim News Editor

My parents didn't play any video games, except that one time I got my dad to play Mario Kart on the Nintendo 64 with me. My uncle did however play games, specifically one type of game: flight simulators. I remember he would play the latest flight sim on his Windows PC after work. He even had one of those flightstick peripherals that my cousin and I would borrow to play with, but not to play games. We just used it to pretend the sofa was a jet or something. Good times.

Caty McCarthy Staff Writer

I've watched my mom play so many games, but the one that most sticks out in my memory is Final Fantasy IX. I fell in love with the world of Gaia. I was older than I was when I watched her play through the series' predecessors, and even then, honestly had no idea what was going on. But Final Fantasy IX was absorbing to watch and it was the first time I felt like my mom and I truly connected while playing a game together. Much later on, she would get me Kingdom Hearts as a surprise, thinking it would recapture the Final Fantasy magic mixed with the Disney junk I loved. (Unfortunately, it did not capture her attention like it did mine, or like the Final Fantasy games of PSX once did. Oh well.)

On the opposite spectrum, my stepdad was never big on video games. He'd watch me play them in-between taking naps, but they never seemed to be his thing outside of the occasional racing game. That was, until the Wii graced us with its presence and he bought a hilariously obtuse makeshift bow for the Wiimote. He got a hunting game—something with the Cabela's moniker I believe—and would play it for hours on end. It made sense too, since he loved archery in his spare time. (He also loves cars which upon reflection makes me understand his draw to racing games so much more.)

When I was in high school, I was a pescetarian. I always wanted to be a vegetarian, but my mom thought I might die of anemia or something and wouldn't let me. There was one day where I decided to try out this Cabela's hunting game that my stepdad loved so much, only for him to laugh at me and call me a hypocrite for playing a game about killing animals. To which I still say: They were just digital animals pops, geez. (For the record: I am no longer a pescetarian.)

My mom was all about Tetris. My dad played Alleyway and Wario Land. We probably should have bought more Game Boys.
    My dad got me into video games. Loved watching him play Super Mario World when he brought home the SNES. It was my first video game. He actually had a Game Boy before that, but that was difficult to share. I do remember his Picross obsession, which I apparently inherited. He never made it past that generation though.

My mom is so prone to motion sickness, she couldn't even handle Super Mario Kart. No video games for her!Edited August 2017 by swamped
  • Avatar for ghostsandgoblins #3 ghostsandgoblins 2 months ago
    For a couple of winters, the Intellivision was a feature at parties my parents and neighbors threw. Lots of alcohol, cigarettes, Las Vegas Poker & Black Jack and Horse Racing. It was fun as a kid just to watch them play. My uncle played in a NFL Football league with cash prizes.

During the same time period, you could also get good cheap dinners at corner bars. Once the adults started drinking, they'd start slipping you quarters for the juke box, Donkey Kong, and Karate Champ. I have some particularly fond memories of a couple snow days playing video games while the neighborhood partied together.
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #4 Godots17thCup 2 months ago
    My dad and his NES were my first exposure to video games; when I was 4 or 5, one of my dad's co-workers just gave away their entire collection for some reason, and so my dad came home one day with a NES and box full of almost exclusively really good games. I was never very good at many of them, but I was usually pretty content to just watch him play through Super Mario Brothers, Ninja Gaiden or Bionic Commando.

He kept playing when I got a Genesis for my birthday a few years later, but gaming's sudden transition to 3D overwhelmed him and I don't think he's spent much more than an hour gaming total in the last 20 years. I thought the NES Classic would've been a perfect gift for him, but alas, I never could find one anywhere.

My mom, on the other hand, didn't play (or even like) video games at all when my siblings and I were growing, but time has managed to soften her stance. She's even managed to find a couple of games she really loves - Animal Crossing and We Love Katamari. She even managed to finish the latter's million roses level, which is insane to me.Edited August 2017 by Godots17thCup
    My dad played Duck Hunt. I was a toddler so I don't remember much else. He never played anything else again or since. Hasn't shown any interest outside of browsing the internet for Armenian news and YouTube videos.

My mom though had me pretty young. I think she was 23. And some of my fondest memories were her, me, and my sister all playing Super Mario 64 together. My sister and I were really bad so my mom carried that entire file to completion. She didn't play anything again after that until she got into iPad games. But she would always watch me play Mario, Zelda, and Banjo after that. Hated when I played other games. She was all about the adventures. She doesn't pay much attention or play much outside of Candy Crush but that's ok.

THEN MY GRANNY CAME INTO THE PICTURE. She played the NES back in the day so stuff like Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros, etc. that third dimension was too much for her though. Until I ended up with Yoshi's Story which she freaking loves to this day.

She made me swear to never tell anyone. I have confidence that my secret is safe with you all.
    The summer after Gamecube launched, my father suddenly developed an interest in playing videogames. It was so weird. I never talked to him about videogames nor did I ever play in front of him (I had a little 13-inch TV in my room).

We went together to buy extension-cables for the controllers and later we played Super Monkey Ball. The whole family got into it.

Then, my parents even told their friends and they came over to play once.
  • Avatar for Captain-Gonru #7 Captain-Gonru 2 months ago
    First of all, the writers of this piece, and some of the commenters, are making me feel old AF, as you kids say (do you still say that?). Example, the article opens talking about someone's mom playing Resident Evil. I played that game, when it was new, in college. So, y'know, fuck off ;-)
    But on topic. As video games didn't come into vogue until after my parents had kids (me, for starters), they didn't do much on their own. The one exception I can recall was my dad playing a golf game on my uncle's computer. This was in the days of 5 1/4" discs, and I couldn't tell you the name of it with a gun to my head. But I have distinct memories of my dad, and my two uncles, taking turns flubbing shots on this thing. Us kids weren't allowed to play (we'd break it, of course), so I think the "verboten" aspect is what cements the image in my head of my dad FINALLY getting the swing timing just right to hit a straight drive.
    My mother had a few puzzle games she played. But my father is a curious mystery. He was a hardcore apple gamer basically until my and my siblings were old enough to use the computer. I only discovered this when we were cleaning the house and found all his games he'd hidden from us.

Of all the games the only one he played with us or showed us was 'the fool's errand "

Future Wars. Man, this game started it all for me. And my mom never beat it! She even called the helpline in the game's manual a few times to solve some of the puzzles.

(For full effect, you'll want to listen to the amazing theme song as played over a primitive PC speaker. You'll want to turn the volume down for this, it's ear-splitting.)
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #10 WiIIyTheAntelope 2 months ago
    My mom played PacMan. Games that used both the stick and the button were too complex to her. Once controllers evolved to having more than a single button, well that was the end of her MLG career.

Also her VCR flashed 12:00 from 1986-2015.
    I remember my dad playing quite a few games - 2600 Bowling, Super Mario Bros 2, Double Dragon, Ninja Gaiden, Atari 7800 Fight Night, Star Fox, Street Fighter 2, and Mortal Kombat 1 and 2. MK and SF were great games for us to play together (I usually won).

My mom wasn't big on most video games, having fallen off in the transition from 2600 to nes, but she LOVED a "Mahjong" game on our Windows 3.11 machine. It was really just a version of Shanghai and it's tile matching but she played it for years. Eventually when she got herself a DS Lite she made sure she got a game cart that had a version of that on it.

Oh, I do need to mention my grandmother, who had a 2600 hooked up in their bedroom for years. Ostensibly this was for the grandkids when they visited (up until my grandpa died and she sold the house) but really she also just loved River Raid.Edited August 2017 by yuberus
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #12 The-Challenger 2 months ago
    I have to cheat a little bit since my mom never played any video games, or at least none I can remember. She did play arcade games, but that was years before I came around. So my default video game inspiration came from my older brother. He had a strong interest in the hobby, but that strong interest would eventually peter out after he bought his own PC. Most of my gaming memories are foggy from that time; one does stand out though, I remember trying to get him to play FFT. For whatever reason he just stopped after the first line of dialogue, laughed and said "nope" then turned it off and never thought twice about it. I don't care, I still love FFT. Even if the story is crap!
    Sadly, I have no memories along these lines. My Dad was the geek in the family growing up and got me into video games, but not once did he ever play video games around me or with me. His focus was on everything computer-related, to the point where we actually got to beta test Windows 95 in that vague not-really-documented month or two of history where the bootup screen logo legitimately called it Windows 4.0; I think this was after they dropped the Chicago name but before they started handing it out to people as "Windows 95 Preview Program".

But clearly realizing the bomb diggity enhancements in video games as the years went on, he bought me an NES when I was 5, got me an SNES and Genesis at 11, etc. Though he never played anything to my knowledge, he clearly kept an eye on what was going on. Maybe in the SNES days, during a significant portion of which the system was at his house when I visited during breaks, he just played it without my knowledge? But I never saw mysterious new save files on any of my games, so idk.
    My parents don't play games. Never have, never will.
    When I was young, my dad played a lot of Tetris on the NES, and I'm pretty sure he finished Dragon Warrior at one point. He doesn't really game anymore, though.

My mom's played various games casually throughout the years and she still makes some time to play every now and then, moreso on her iPad these days. Usually I have to help explain the controls to her when we play something on a console.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #16 VotesForCows 2 months ago
    My parents didn't have electricity or running water when they were kids, so I think the idea of virtual games always seemed a bit nonsensical to them. Not in a bad way, just didn't get it. Having had poverty and hardship, maybe the comfortable, non-virtual surroundings of their adulthood was all they needed! Not just games either, they were mystified the first time I asked to get a movie on video - "why would you want to watch the same story twice?!"

Edit: Also, when I was small it was the early 80s, so video games weren't in a great place anyway!Edited 2 times. Last edited August 2017 by VotesForCows
    My parents didn't play videogames or understood what I saw in them. But my neigbour was all over them, letting me play on his megadrive and snes in the early days.
    My stepdad used to race motocross in his youth; he loved ExciteBike. We also played through large portions of The Legend of Zelda together and he was the first person I ever saw down Mike Tyson in Punch-Out. As a teenager, I would get into "Beat my time on this track!" battles with him in Diddy Kong Racing.

Also, for reasons I still don't understand because neither one likes basketball or hockey, my mom and stepdad would play ridiculous amounts of Double Dribble and Ice Hockey. Mom always won.
    My mom played Mario 3 with me a bit back in the day but I don't think she particularly enjoyed it. Once the SNES was out and I was able to convince my parents to at least rent the machine I remember my dad wanting to rent Super R-Type. I was content to just play Super Mario World over and over but ultimately grateful he grabbed R-Type too. Great game, good times playing that together. Though the last memories of us playing games together would be Super Mario Kart... my dad thought it was cheating to use items like the shells. He got upset and I think that was pretty much the last time we played games together... huh, feels kind of sad looking back at it like that. Oh well.
  • Avatar for LunarFlame17 #20 LunarFlame17 2 months ago
    My parents were pretty big into video games when my brother and I were kids in the 80s. Sadly, they don't play anymore. I did give my mom my GameCube years ago because she was interested in playing Twilight Princess, but she's never touched it.

The fondest memory I have of my parents playing video games was the time they beat Bubble Bobble together. That game was super hard, and when they got to the last boss, my brother and I were so excited that we couldn't contain ourselves, leading them to kick us out of the house so they could concentrate. My brother and I ended up going behind the house and peeking in through the living room windows, so that we could keep watching. They did end up beating the game, and it was glorious.
    I'm old so all of my memories involve early arcade games and our Atari 2600. My mom loved Moon Patrol and Space Invaders. She used to kick my ass at Karate! We were on the poor side so we got the 2600 after the bust and would buy used games from flea markets and on clearance. A large portion of family time was spent with the 2600 playing games like Demons to Diamonds and, yep, Pac-Man. It may have been a terrible version but it was what we had and we didn't have to go anywhere to play it. Combat was another favorite. I loved the co-op in Space Invaders. We skipped the NES generation and my parents aged out of gaming by the time I got back into gaming via Street Fighter.
    @Captain-Gonru /high five/Edited August 2017 by nilcam
  • Avatar for theblacklaser #23 theblacklaser 2 months ago
    My mom loved Arkanoid.
    My parents played on our Colecovision (I was 3 so it was arguably more for them than me) and my dad would play some PC games when we first got our PC, like Solo Flight and Hitchhiker's Guide, and I remember him starting Space Quest 2 but getting stuck trying to find the ramp into the shuttle (in CGA, it was blue against a blue floor so it was impossible to see).

I ended up with two Gameboys (after hiding the first to protect it from family friends' young kids and then forgetting the hiding place) and so they discovered how good link up Tetris was, and an hour every evening was spent with the two of them in the living room playing it.

After seeing Dr Mario at a friend's house, I got it for my NES and they became even more addicted to 2 player that. The problem was that the NES was in my room so my room was held hostage every evening!

After university I donated my old PS1 and then N64 to my mom so she could play her favourites: Bust-a-Move 2 and Dr Mario 64. She played so much Dr Mario again that she strained her back sitting on the side of the bed for so long.

Now she has a DS Lite and my dad has a 3DS XL. He also plays a few games on his phone but generally, the 8-bit puzzle days were the golden age of them gaming.Edited August 2017 by metalangel
  • Avatar for Lord-Bob-Bree #25 Lord-Bob-Bree 2 months ago
    My mom does and still likes Dragon Quest games, and I can really blame her for me liking them and RPGs in general. I remember her returning DW3 to the video store late so she could finish it up, making it the first game I ever saw finished. She also liked final fantasies 1-3 and GBA and DS, but when she tired VI she found out she really did not like leaving turn-based systems.
    My dad was big into Supaplex for MS-DOS, which was basically Russian Boulder Dash. He really loved that game, sometimes going at it for a long time. There were 111 levels in the original game, I think the highest he ever got up to was 90 or so?
    Apparently, one time I had a primary school mate over, and his save got deleted. He was so upset, understandably. I don't remember any of it now, but I can share the feel of pain when I lose hours of progress in games, myself.

Ah, simpler times. If only there was a good way to play that game in this day and age.
    Besides Pong, which was the only console dad ever bought for himself, my mom was really into Cobra Triangle on the NES, or "the boat game" as she called it. She was terrible at it, but it led to hilarious sessions as we played it together. She also got absolutely obsessed with the old Game and Watch Donkey Kong game for a while. :)
  • Avatar for odaiba-memorial #28 odaiba-memorial 2 months ago
    I *wish* my parents were cool enough to have played video games.

In fact... in my household of six, nobody was a gamer. We didn't own any consoles aside from Game Boys with copies of Tetris to keep us quiet during long trips. I'm amazed I got into video games at all, all things considered, let alone to the extent I do now. I didn't get my first home console until I was 13 -- before that, any gaming I did was at friends' houses.
    When I got my NES for Christmas, at the age of seven, my father played some multi-player SMB with me, and that's the first and last time I ever remember him playing video games. I think Candy Crush on her iPhone a few years ago was the first video game I ever saw my mother play, heh.Edited August 2017 by Pandalulz
    I must be old as my parents didn't play video games when I was young. My dad was a grognard though so I did get early exposure to that. When I was 10 my dad got a Commodore 64 but he didn't play much on that, just me and my brother. The first game I remember him really sinking some time into was Civilization 1 on the PC, which we both played quite a bit together when I was a teenager. The next game that we both really got into was the original diablo when that came out. Good times.Edited 2 times. Last edited August 2017 by LeviTheGood
    I remember watching my dad play a lot of Sega Genesis. He was really into Sonic 1 and 2 and he would take breaks from those to play Casino Games on the Master System. Both systems belonged to my cousin though so his game hobby ended when she moved out. I got an NES and an SNES but some reason he had no interest in the Nintendo games.

Then he bought a Wii when it came out twenty years later and became obsessed with Wii Sports. He still has the system, he only owns Wii Sports and he still beats me in bowling when I visit.
    My parents were not gamers. At all. Though I do recall my dad playing Bases Loaded at my uncle's house. He may have dabbled with us kids once in a while...but hardly ever.
    While I remember my dad having a 2600 at one point, most of my gaming memories with him involve arcade games. He loved Gyruss and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, particularly. Also a heck of a Joust player - I can only imagine what he would have thought about Killer Queen Arcade.
    Dad introduced me to video games with a VIC-20 port of Heiankyo Alien (called Super Alien). But the games that I remember my parents playing the most:

Dad played this text adventure called Planetfall a lot, which I found interminable at the time. Lots of text adventures: Temple of Apshai, the Hobbit, etc..

Mom liked the Commodore 64 version of BC's Quest for Tires:

That was the first game I ever finished, and I can still hear the duck and jump sounds of Thor navigating the plains, forests, caves, and volcano (?) of the primitive runner game.
    My father also played flight sims like crazy. Aces Over Europe, Aces of the Pacific, Microsoft Flight Simulator...we had multiple flight sticks, and only a couple years ago I heard he had gotten into that Microsoft Flight Sim fan-run multiplayer mode with people playing air traffic control. He still sneaks in some World of Warplanes even now.

I also remember him playing and beating Myst. He did everything solo except the tone-based tram puzzle, which he had to consult a FAQ for.
  • Avatar for DylanGallagher #36 DylanGallagher 2 months ago
    My parents powered through a couple PC games in the 90s. My mom managed to get through Under a Killing Moon thanks to its built-in hint system. A few months ago I found a stapled printout of Gamespot's walkthrough for Riven, dated 1997, that my dad printed out so he could see the ending. My dad also spent a year getting his way through Tomb Raider for the PC, savescumming after every successful jump, with the help of a player's guide. In short, my parents were never super into gaming, but they were damn intent on getting the most out of that CD-ROM drive.
  • Avatar for TerryTrowbridge #37 TerryTrowbridge 2 months ago
    Played a lot of Jack Nichols Golf on Super Nintendo with my Dad. That's what I remember most.
    As always, I'm late to the party, but I can strongly remember when I was just a kid getting an Atari 2600. I loved that thing, and was super fond of that machine. Without me realizing my mom was super fond of Q-Bert, and would play when I wasn't doing so. I don't think she ever really moved on when I saved up and bought an Atari 7800, or was gifted a NES. She now plays on her iPad or iPhone when she plays anything. She also has a couple of handheld LCD games she bought from Avon like Yahtzee and Solitaire.

My dad I recall talking fondly about playing Pong when he was younger, and probably when I was very young. He really liked Operation Sea Wolf in the arcade though, and he would play Duck Hunt with me when we got a NES Action Set. He also used to have one of the old LED football games, but I could never figure that thing out, I never understood or even liked football as a kid.

Thanks for giving me a tiny bit of space to reminisce.
    My father has never been particularly fond of videogames (indeed, he kind of hates them), although ironically he did foster the gaming habit in my brother and me. Mostly by using videogames as the proverbial carrot at the end of the stick to motivate us to do well at school (you know, the classic “Ok, I will buy you this game/console, but only if you get good grades on the semester”). That being said, he does like some classic tabletop games. Indeed, he is actually pretty good at chess and dominoes.

My mother isn’t particularly fond of videogames either (I think my brother and me only managed to convince her of trying Wii Sports once), although oddly enough, she does like to play those card games that have come with every version of Windows since 95 (you know the ones: Solitaire, Free Cell, Spider, Hearts, etc.). She can even spend entire hours playing them at times.
    My father liked playing Mario, Megaman and specially Castlevania 3. At first, when I got Castlevania 3, I hid it from him because he was religious and I thought all the skulls and dark theme of the game would cause him to ban me from playing it, but he actually liked it a lot.
    I would have loved to see his impressions of Star Fox, but he passed away before that. I'm sure the 3D would have blown him away.
    I need to tell my parents how much I appreciate they involved themselves with my hobby that was as solitary as it was. One played Sky Jaguar (Konami, 1984), the other Super Cobra (Konami, 1983 port for MSX).
  • Avatar for Number1Laing #42 Number1Laing 2 months ago
    I am in a slightly different boat. My dad didn't play videogames until he got an Xbox 360 out of the blue. He has basically been playing Gears of War for the past 10 years, with a multiyear interlude in there for Call of Duty (he liked MW1-2). And it's just the first Gears. He didn't really seem to take to Gears 2-4. He doesn't just play Gears though, he is extremely good at it. He has the Seriously achievement in the One port as well, and he's not boosting. I wish I liked a videogame as much as my old man likes Gears.Edited August 2017 by Number1Laing
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #43 donkeyintheforest 2 months ago
    My dad played a lot of Monuments of Mars and Commander Keen haha old!

• Avatar for InsertTokenz #44 InsertTokenz 2 months ago
    While my dad isn't heavy into playing video games he has, since the days of me having a Sega Master System, developed a strong fondness for playing Shanghai (He currently has my Sega Saturn which he uses frequently to indulge in Shanghai: Triple Triad).

Beyond that, the only other game I can remember him ever playing was making it through Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. It was kind of surreal to see him complete such a game despite having no knowledge of the series prior and not really being all that skill playing action/adventures games at all. Even with me being there watching him play it every step of the way, I found myself offering little in the way of guidance to help him along. I couldn't help but be proud of him for accomplishing such a feat.
  • Avatar for Jeremiah-Jones #45 Jeremiah-Jones 2 months ago
    My Dad played Duck Hunt. He set the record, then left... Breaking his record when I was six started the "rivalry" I'm the Naruto/Rock Lee of my family...

We also had a weird Punch Out story in which the only time he gave me the controller was the first time I beat Glass Joe. The 2nd guy owned our house. I'll get revenge one day...

Comments