USgamer Community Question: What Game Do You Regret Buying the Most?

How many games have you bought over the years? Tens? Hundreds? Maybe even more? We're sure you have plenty of favorites. But which one do you regret buying the most?

Article by USgamer Team, .

We've all bought many games over the years. Most of them good, we hope, but inevitably one or two of them just didn't live up to expectations. Perhaps an advertisement misled you. Maybe you read a review by an idiot who said a game was great when clearly it was not. Perhaps you just looked at the box and were swayed by the marketing copy and screenshots, but subsequently wished that you hadn't been. Perhaps the game was okay, but you just never ended up playing it for some reason or another.

Whatever the reason, what we want to know is which game do you regret buying the most - and why? As you ponder your least-favorite game purchase, here's the USG team to tell you their tales of regret and woe.

[Source]
Jeremy Parish Editor-in-Chief

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood

The legendary "lost" Castlevania game, and the prequel to our recent USgamer Club project Symphony of the Night, Rondo of Blood deserves every ounce of its revered status. While the Castlevania franchise flailed about in search of direction during the 16-bit era, Rondo's team homed in on everything that made the NES games great while brilliantly upgrading the visuals and play mechanics to feel more up-to-date. Featuring the tightest action the series had ever seen along with the most elaborate and thoughtful level design, Rondo was a masterpiece. Still is, in fact.

So why would I regret having bought it? Well, because it was a lost game: That is, it was only ever released in Japan. Not only that, but it launched in minuscule numbers. Worst of all, it only appeared on a niche console, the overseas equivalent of the Turbo CD system. Between the obscurity of the game and the jumble of equipment required to run it, owning Dracula X set me back five hundred American dollars. But it was worth it, right? To own a game I'd coveted for a decade, ever since first importing Symphony of the Night? Yeah?

Yeah, for a few months it was great. But almost as soon as I'd finally saved up enough to splurge on Rondo of Blood and a PC Engine Duo (following years of longing), Konami announced that they'd be remaking the game for PSP and including the original release as a freebie. And then not too long after that, the game appeared on Nintendo's Virtual Console.

So, for the extra $490 commitment over the price of the Virtual Console release, I enjoyed a few months of owning a rare and desirable piece of video game history. One that everyone had access to almost immediately after. Unlike some collectors whose sense of entitlement leads to some twisted perspectives, I don't resent Konami for bringing the game to America — on the contrary, it's great! I just wish they'd announced it a few months sooner.

Jaz Rignall Editor-at-Large

Arcadia

I don't know what I was thinking when I came up with this question - because when I sat down and tried to come up with an answer, nothing came to mind. I mean, I've bought games that I've been disappointed by, but even then, the most disappointing one of all ended up becoming one of my most treasured games.

Regret is another thing entirely.

So I guess I have to go way, way back to the early days of my gaming life. Back then, I was an obsessive and aggressive player, and notched up quite a few record scores on various arcade games. Something that drove my compulsion was a fierce temper. When I lost a life, I'd get really frustrated and would channel my anger into my next life. This worked most of the time, and would fire me up and help me sustain a high quality level of play for hours on end. However, sometimes when I wasn't on form and lost several lives in a row, my anger could get the better of me, and I'd end up yelling obscenities, punching the machine or, if I was at home, bashing the joypad or throwing it across the room. Yeah. I was a hothead to put it mildly.

Anyway, one night I was at home playing a crappy shooter called Arcadia that I'd just bought for my fairly new ZX Spectrum. The game wasn't particularly good, but I was determined to play through it so I could get my money's worth from it. However, I kept getting killed by the game's crappy aliens in the most stupid, cheap, unavoidable way. My blood pressure began to rise, and after repeated deaths, my tirades became ever more eloquent and creative to the point where I snapped. I really should have stepped away from the computer, but instead I pounded its keyboard in rage three times. The computer turned off, and so I took the few deep breaths I should have taken much earlier and turned it back on so I could reload the game.

Only the computer didn't turn on. I'd broken it. Anger gave way to panic, and then regret. Big regret. I felt like an idiot, a chump, a total bell end.

On the bright side, I prised off the computer's caved-in metal fascia, carefully straightened it out, glued it back on, and sent the computer back to the manufacturer saying that it had stopped working (which was true). They sent me a new one back several weeks later, no questions asked, so I was very, very lucky. I've hurled several joypads in frustration since then, but I've never hit a games machine in anger. That's a lesson I only needed to be taught once.

Mike Williams Associate Editor

Legend of Mana

I love Secret of Mana. It's one of my favorite action-adventure games and I remember playing it for hours on the Super Nintendo. I actually purchased a Super Multitap just so I could play Secret of Mana (and Super Bomberman) with my friends. I rocked Secret of Mana so hard that I actually muddled my way through its sequel, Seiken Densetsu 3, despite knowing no Japanese at the time.

So when Legend of Mana was announced, I was ready. A new sequel to one of my favorite games! I walked my way from school to the store, plunked down my hard-earned money, and walked back home. I ripped off the shrink-wrap and threw the disc in my PlayStation, ready to taste greatness.

Legend of Mana was a slap in the face. As a standalone game, Legend of Mana isn't all that bad. A bit of action-adventure gameplay, a non-linear story, and the ability to meld the world as you saw fit; it was Square Enix trying something new. But I didn't want new. I wanted the Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu and taken from that perspective, Legend of Mana was a bitter pill to swallow.

The worse part was I wasn't rolling in money at the time. In fact, I was pretty poor. And I had just blown a significant amount of money on a game I couldn't return. I could only get so much from EB Games, making Legend of Mana a complete loss. Damn you, Koichi Ishii. My young adulthood rages in your direction.

Kat Bailey Senior Editor

Legend of Dragoon

I've been pretty fortuitous in my gaming purchases over the years. Even when I was about to make a bad decision, circumstances usually saved me. When I tried to get Rebel Assault 2, for example, my parents pulled me out of the Best Buy where they were shopping for a new computer before I could complete the purchase.

When I did make a purchase I regretted (Earthworm Jim for GBA, anyone?), it was usually because I was suckered into buying a bad launch game for my brand new console. The only exception I can think of is Legend of Dragoon, which is remembered fondly by some, but is otherwise a really dismal JRPG from the latter days of the PlayStation 1. It's like one of those knockoff copies of a Final Fantasy that you might see in a stall in Bangkok, only it's called "Legend of Fantasy," or something. And because dragoons are a big part of Final Fantasy, they threw the word in for good measure.

I played Legend of Dragoon when I was 17, which was about when I was starting to develop some real awareness as to what constituted a good game and what constituted a bad game. I quickly realized that Legend of Dragoon was in fact a bad game that had a lot of flash, but otherwise had a generic story loaded with JRPG tropes that had already started to become stale by 2000. Its main saving grace were the dragoon transformations, which were fun to look at, but also unskippable at a time when even Square was scaling back the ludricous summon animations. Being a high schooler with lots of disposable income, I paid full price for it. I still feel kind of dumb even now.

That said, it wasn't a total loss. When I tired of the relentless litany of cliches that Legend of Dragoon threw at me, I handed it off to my 11-year-old sister, who proceeded to have much more fun with it than I did. Of course, it also meant that she spent a lot of time in my room on my PlayStation. On second thought, I take back what I just said. Legend of Dragoon was the worst.

Bob Mackey Senior Writer

Ephemeral Fantasia

The early days of the PlayStation 2 era were an absolute wasteland—and yet, people still bought this consoles en masse. (Just in case you don't remember those nightmarish hardware shortages.) Even if the PS2 didn't have many great games, we could at least use it play our DVDs of The Matrix over and over again. That disc found its way into more homes than indoor plumbing.

Needless to say, desperate times cause people to do desperate things. I'd had enough of SSX and the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo, so I scoured the shelves of my local Software Etc. to find something—anything—to help justify my $300 investment. In the summer of 2001, I stumbled upon a game that barely made any appearances in magazine previews: Ephemeral Fantasia, a new RPG by Konami. At that point in time I associated its developer with quality games, so I bit the bullet on this untested experience, dropped $52.99 (marked up from the MSRP of $49.99 simply because they could), and brought it home, excited just to have a different thing spinning around in my PS2.

Now, there's a reason you probably took a look at this game's title and went "Huh?" Ephemeral Fantasia commits the unholy crime of being terrible, but not in any notable way. In terms of novelty, Fantasia has some GuitarFreaks mini-games, and borrows the Groundhog's Day premise of Majora's Mask, but the game immediately whizzes any potential right down its leg. Even though my standards were measurably lower at the age of 19, this lousy RPG stunned me with just how ineptly it executed just about everything it did. Still, that didn't stop me from mining it for even the slightest trace of fun. I must have bashed my head against Fantasia for 15 hours before giving up, and sending it off to some unfortunate eBay user like the tape from The Ring. If you were this person, I'd like to apologize. Hopefully, as the game's title indicates, your pain was fleeting.

Related Tags

Shadow of the beast, on Genesis. Incredibly hard, and not that stunning, graphically speaking.
    AND expensive !
    Legend of Legaia. Just... just Legend of Legaia.
    I can't think of any games specifically that I regret buying, but I do regret buying as many games as I've bought. Especially this past year, I bought way more games than I could possibly play. Ended up not finishing most of them and enjoying them less because I was rushing through them to get to the next game.
    The first game that came to mind for me was the Illusion of Gaia. I had been saving up, anticipating Final Fantasy III...but I really wanted something new. So I headed over to Wal-mart (across the field) and bought this game. It wasn't bad...but I knew in my heart it wasn't what I wanted. So I took it back, thankfully they allowed me to return it...and I was able to pay over $80 to play Final Fantasy III a month or so later.
    I still think it was worth it.Edited August 2014 by jeffcorry
  • Avatar for jeremy.parish #5 jeremy.parish 3 years ago
    @nadiaoxford That game came out on my 25th birthday. I bought it as an indulgence, but then I played it and was like, "Yeah, screw you too, buddy."
    Assassin's Creed III, I tried to like that series, everyone kept telling me I should, but its like watching paint dry to me.
    I've always been extremely careful about what I buy, so there have been few regrets. Arkham City springs to mind - an utterly joyless collect-a-thon. I'm unlikely to touch another one of their games again.

I quite like Arkham Asylum though!
    @Thusian I would have said that too, but I played it free on PS+. Abysmal game.
    I bought Castlevania: Lords of Shadow for full price at launch because this presentation got me so excited with its use of Super Castlevania IV music in the beginning and that one really good LoS track at the end. I watched the feature over and over, imagining such an incredible game, but when I got it everything about it was a clumsy mess.

Gabriel felt floaty and glided too quickly over terrain rather than seeming a part of the world. The first few stages are extremely brief and have jarring transitions. Patrick Stewart's stage intro narrations are horribly overwrought. Even the way that stupid book bounced around on the title screen with sudden directional changes like an old Windows screensaver annoyed me.

So that's the worst $60 I've spent on a game.

Edited August 2014 by internisus
  • Avatar for christopherhughes97 #10 christopherhughes97 3 years ago
    Advent Rising. Yeah, I was youngish and had just read Speaker for the Dead, so I was on a big Card kick...
    Shank.

I know a lot of people really like this game, and to be honest it plays just fine. But god, it has the dumbest story I've ever seen in a game. I watch a lot of horror movies and occasionally exploitation movies, so it's not like I'm a huge moral crusader or anything. But Shank was basically the videogame equivalent of the wannabe edgiest, most mentally bankrupt exploitation films out there. It really tried way too hard — instead of shocking me, it just embarrassed the crap out of me. I think it was going for a Robert Rodriguez vibe, but it fell waaay short.

Sorry to anybody who likes this game. I've definitely played a lot worse from a gameplay perspective, but Shank was so stupid that I instantly regretted paying money for it. We vote with our wallet, and I hate to think that I cast a vote for Shank.
  • Avatar for Happy-Mask-Salesman #12 Happy-Mask-Salesman 3 years ago
    TMNT on NES. I got passed the underwater section maybe twice and died shortly after anyway but I played the crap out of the first level and getting to the dam was pretty much the ending to that game for me
    Without a doubt. GTA 4. Having never bought any of the franchise, I decided that a new entry on the PS3 would be a good game for the system. Paid full retail and played less than an hour before realizing this game was just not for me. I don't know if hat was just a bad game in the series, or that that series was was never suitable for my gaming tastes. Kind of thought me to not buy anything at launch that I'm absolutely not sure about.
    The Bleach fighting game for GameCube. I paid import price for a game that I played for many, many weeks with my friends, before we all finally admitted it was just rubbish.

Honorary mention goes to Halo 4 for having a crap multiplayer map selection, then getting sales of two DLC map packs out of me for having the foolish hope of 343 fixing said map selection. That game was a 6-month disappointment train; it wasted my money AND my time.
    Jim Power: The Lost Dimenion in 3D. Although it was either my parents or grandparents money that went towards this I always wished I had picked something better.
    You could ask me this when I'm 90 years old and lying on my deathbed and the answer would still be the same: Spore.
    6 DDR games (mix of new and used copies). I got into the series late into college, and I thought they would be a great excuse to exercise and invite girls over. (I'm naive. Aside from female friends who were just curious about the games coming over every now and then, nothing happened because of the games.) Thing is, if you're not going to be hardcore about the games, they literally will not last for you. Because of the mats. The thin mats that came with the first copy I purchased eventually stopped working correctly, not to mention the fact that they slid all over the floor anyway. I replaced them with mats that had foam inserts. Less slipping on the floor, but the "buttons" still shifted all the same. Then the cats started clawing at the pads. Then they lived in the closet of various apartments I've shared with my wife. Then we tossed them because we weren't using them. And now I have 6 DDR games and no desire to get back into them.

Also, Final Fantasies VII and X (both used copies). These two games brought new people into RPGs and kinda into games as a whole. I had to give them a try. I think I cleared maybe 2/3 of the first disc of VII before I realized that I wasn't having any fun. The game was just so slow and boring. I don't even think I managed to get on my way to the main part of the adventure of X due to the fact that I was tired of hours of not actually playing the game. Moving from person to person and talking while being unable to explore does not constitute playing a game as far as I'm concerned. I'd offload them, but I keep thinking that someday I'm going to have a boatload of free time and maybe, maybe my mind will change. Until then, I've got my SNES copies of IV and VI.
    Why is there a screenshot of Tales of the Abyss? (I saw that screenshot and saw Bob Mackey under it and was like "Oh no he di'int" but it turned out he really didn't.)

Also Kat is spot on about Legend of Dragoon and its overratedness.

Usually when I buy a bad game, it's at a deep discount and I end up not caring that much. Also, sometimes I find a game really disappointing but I know that if I didn't play it, I'd never know it was disappointing and just feel like I'm missing out. (Like Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and No More Heroes 2, two sequels to games I loved that ended up making me sad, but at least there aren't any unplayed Princes of Persia or No More Heroeses out there that I wish I had tried.)

I guess I regret that Mario vs. Donkey Kong DSiWare game? I bought it at full price, sight unseen, based on how much I liked the GBA game, only to find that it was nothing like that game and was, in fact, a Lemmings clone, which is not something I enjoy. That's entirely my own fault.

Bonus: My husband, who doesn't play games, enjoyed Wii Sports a lot and decided to buy Deca Sports but it was completely terrible and he hasn't played a non-flight-sim game since. I probably regret him buying that more than he does.
    I was a fighting game fan who owned a Nintendo 64.

I purchased War Gods 64 and I still have trouble looking at myself in a mirror because of it.
    Stretch Panic on PS2. Because blind devotion to a developer isn't such a good thing... especially when they are dabbling in 3D after years of working entirely in 2D.
    Robocop 3 for the SNES. I was a naïve child back then who, after being spoiled by Capcom and Konami’s offerings, haven’t understood yet the basic rule that most licensed games actually suck. And the cover just had this incredibly alluring cool image of Robocop flying with a jetpack.

You can imagine my disappointment later …Sigh… -_-
    blast corps for 64. it was 80 bucks and was shit.
    I'll tell you what I most regret: Final Fantasy XIII on PS3. It was the day it came out, I was waiting for Pokemon HG/SS, and this game, with it's high-end HD graphics, looked shiny and new. I just wanted to see those graphics on my TV at home in real-time. The worst part is that I used a $60 gift card from Christmas, intended for Pokemon, on this game. It was boring and slow, that I wish I never bought it.
  • Avatar for ShadowTheSecond #24 ShadowTheSecond 3 years ago
    Hey You Pikachu is certainly up there, mainly because it barely worked.

Sacred 2 gets a nod for its amazingly bad map system (you're underground? I hope you like for the map to show your relative above ground spot) and general insult to fun

Far too many licensed TV show games too...plenty of random PS1 and N64 crap too...
    Road Warrior by Gametek. Roadwarrior was the sequel to Quarantine, which was perhaps the best of the glut of 'Doom clone' FPS games that clogged the PC games market until Quake came out.

Quarantine was awesome. It had huge, open world levels (the city was divided into sectors) and you drove an Escape From New York-style battle taxi through the mean streets battling other vehicles, dodging traffic and delivering passengers to earn money to buy better weapons to be able to take on the story missions. It wasn't especially hard, but it was tons of fun, looked good, the levels were well designed and - wow - you could put your own music CDs in and have them play as you drove. The included soundtrack was legendary (Aussie alt bands) but for a teen, to have the best of then-contemporary dance and alternative and indie blasting while you raced through an urban warzone for hours on end?

Anyway, now you understand why Quarantine was awesome. Road Warrior had NONE OF THIS. The open world levels were still present but pointless, as every single mission was now a scripted story mission. Most of these weren't very good. You didn't get to keep many weapons between missions, and why would you want to - there was nothing to do except drive to the next mission anyway! Oh, and there was a overarching plotline illustrated with comic book-style characters (that clashed with the rest of the game's graphics).

I even tried to take it back to the store, but they weren't interested. $65 down the toilet.
    @alexirish93 oh man that's to bad. I guess we all have our games but I actually quite enjoyed XIII
    Blast Wind for the Saturn. I spent a lot on a rare game that is pretty damn mediocre.
    I rarely buy anything on a whim, but I've certainly done so. One of those purchases was Metal Dungeon, what was effectively a terribly-executed rogue-like. Well, sort of. It had a traditional RPG battle system, but it was so slooooooow. $20 I wish I had back.

Also, a special shout-out to Treasure Master for NES. The only redeeming thing about the game was the soundtrack.

I also got "gifted" a copy of Last Action Hero for SNES. While I didn't pay for it, it's a game that's so bad that I feel I should have been paid to take it.
    All of them
  • Avatar for peteryates46 #30 peteryates46 3 years ago
    Halo 3. That was the first game I ever saw that would literally play through itself...horrible purchase.
    3rd Birthday. I don't just wish I had my time and money back, I want an apology.

Never mind the unfun gameplay and hand-mangling combat mechanics. For demoting Aya Brea from a tough-as-nails cop to a cringing moaner with tearaway clothing and changing the absolute sweetheart Maeda into a soulless pervert, someone needs to be punished on behalf of the Moon.
    Like Kat said, there are probably plenty of examples when we think about new systems and launch games.

I remember buying Wild Arms 2. Which isn't a bad game, but I distinctly remember choosing it over Vagrant Story. That one stings a bit, but who's to say I would have appreciated it then?

And thanks Kat for pointing out what a piece of uninspired garbage Legend of Dragoon was. There seems to be a LOT of goodwill for that game, and it's sort of baffling.
  • Avatar for TotalHenshin #33 TotalHenshin 3 years ago
    Kirby: Canvas Curse.

I didn't hate the game when it came out (bought it day one). But something about it didn't click with me. I played through all of it, but felt lukewarm the whole way through. I then gave the game to a younger friend at the time who literally thought Canvas Curse was the greatest game ever made.

A few years later, I felt nostalgic for the game and thought I perhaps didn't give it a fair shake or that my tastes had grown. Re-bought a used copy and still felt the same. Sold it.

For buying it twice and getting rid of it twice is why it's my biggest regret.
    I didn't even buy the game, but I still felt like an idiot for wasting my time downloading & trying the demo for El Shaddai.

Buying the original Steel Batallion was also kinda stupid, even though I generally liked the game. Never made it past the third or fourth mission because it is just so damn difficult, and even disregarding that the investment for the controller was a bit ridiculous.
  • Avatar for Lord-Bob-Bree #35 Lord-Bob-Bree 3 years ago
    Two possibilities for me:

-Wild ARMs 5. I had disliked 4, but I figured I'd give 5 a chance (It was written by a novelist). But then I played it, and the story was horrendous. On top of that, I felt the battle system had been worsened from the previous game.

-Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. Sure, it's a great game! But it also cost me over 80 dollars at a time where I had no income. It felt a bit irresponsible then, and even worse looking back on it. I really regret it.Edited August 2014 by Lord-Bob-Bree
  • Avatar for danger.to.others #36 danger.to.others 3 years ago
    Two semi-recent games came to mind.

Assassin's Creed 3 is the top one. I've played the entire series and am a big fan. But AC3 is so horrible on a technical level....not just at launch, but even after patches it still has wonky collision detection, worse AI I've seen in the series and environments where I got stuck on things more often than ever before.
    Only game in the series I didn't finish, even after all it's updates. An even bigger letdown to have a game be bad when it's a series you follow and enjoy than if it had been a new game.

The other seems to be only a problem to only me. At least I haven't seen anyone else have this problem around the web.
    It was the Metro games. Both of them.
    I play a lot of games, nearly every shooter and action game, yet each Metro ramped up in spots to such a difficulty, I couldn't finish them.
    Even stranger, I could play the games up to about what I think is 75% or so done just fine, then each threw in spots with creatures that I simply could not beat no matter how much I try.
    I'm not new to games, I had the controls down....yet could not go on and see the end. I'm surprised I'm the only one (it feels like) that had a problem with the sudden late game sporadic difficulty spikes. I couldn't even do it on Last Light's easy setting. Coasted through the game except for the stuck spot.
    They too were big letdowns in that happening (and weird for it to happen in BOTH of them), especially because I liked the game and the atmosphere.
    But you can have the greatest set up of any game and you still aren't worth it if I can't finish.
    This might sound like sacrilege to some but my biggest regret is Dark Souls. I bought it for $60 and was hyped up to devour some good ole hardcore gaming goodness. After about 20 brutal, agonizing hours I traded it in for Skyrim. I just couldn't enjoy the game. Everything except the combat was terrible: murky graphics, opaque level design and mechanics, masochistic enemy design, and repetitive gameplay with no interesting story.

60 bucks down the drain and all because I fell for Internet hype. Never again.

P.S. Skyrim wasn't much better, but at least I had some fun for a dozen or so hours until I became a werewolf and the game turned into a literal glitch. I got rid of that game too.
    I'd have to say SaGa Frontier for PlayStation. Back in the day, I played any RPG Squaresoft churned out and then some. So when this game was announced I was pumped for it. I had done my research and played the first two Final Fantasy Legend titles on Game Boy (and what a great article by Jeremy on this by the way), so I kind of knew what I was in for, but I just could not find anything remotely enjoyable with SaGa Frontier. I played it for barely five hours, lost interest and never went back.
  • Avatar for AlltheNeSWorldCups #39 AlltheNeSWorldCups 3 years ago
    I find it interesting to see that some peoples regrets are my treasures although im definitely gonna feel the same if legends 1&2 are released digitally :( the regret part
  • Avatar for johnnyskullhead #40 johnnyskullhead 3 years ago
    Uncharted 1 & 2 bought it hated it got rid
    Then Got second one I just dont get it !
  • Avatar for metal_maniac #41 metal_maniac 3 years ago
    Counter-Strike. I didn't actually buy it, but it completely controlled my life for about five years, helping me gain 80ibs in the process.

Yeah, I could have done without that game...
  • Avatar for metal_maniac #42 metal_maniac 3 years ago
    @ShadowTheSecond Sacred 2 was a huge letdown for me, mainly because I hated the graphics. And the first Sacred is still one of my favourite games.
    For a console with so many great games, I had real bad luck with the Dreamcast. I bought Time Stalkers from a guy with a ponytail and fingerless leather gloves at a market -- I was ready for my first fully 3D RPG and this looked as good as any, from the box that is. What I got was a dull, repetitive dungeon crawler. I've kind of avoided the genre ever since.

Then I bought Phantasy Star Online from a real shop, not realising that playing online with friends was really the only way to enjoy that game, which sounds stupid nowadays but back then no one played console games online. So I dropped a whopping 40 pounds on it, played it for two days then sold it to the aforementioned local video game market for 13 pounds (Ponytail's wife rejected the game at first because she said it came free with the system because it had "online functionality" on the front -- confusing it with ChuChu Rocket).

Eventually I began reading magazines and discovered Jet Set Radio and Shenmue, and all was right with the world.
  • Avatar for brionfoulke91 #44 brionfoulke91 3 years ago
    This one is easy for me. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Or Shatmemz as I like to call it.

What an awful game. Actually, it was very ambitious, it tried to do a lot of unique things for the series. Unofortunately, the poor execution of those ideas revealed the ineptness of the developer. There's no combat, which could have worked except there was also no stealth. You have to constantly run away from the enemies. But that's only in the ice sections; everywhere else you are safe. This telegraphed and formulaic design means you always know when you're safe: there's no tension in the ice scenes because you are always being chased, and no tension otherwise because there's no danger.

Not to mention the laziness of design in general. Only one monster design for the entire game. All the ice sections look the same and play the same, and they get repetitive fast. They aren't scary, but they also aren't fun. The exploration scenes aren't any better, they are linear walks down corridors where there is nothing to do except go forward. No meaningful items to collect, simple brain-dead puzzles.

The story is not particularly good either. It's badly written, filled with cringeworthy lines by cliche and unlikable characters. It goes for a Shamylanian twist ending which invalidates everything you've gone through, and feels anti-climactic.

At least the soundtrack is pretty good, that's about the only good thing about this game. When I first bought it, I was very much looking forward to it... Homecoming and Origins were big disappointments, but Shattered Memories was exciting because of the promise of something different. Something new and interesting. It's always nice when a developer takes risks, but risks sometimes mean failure, and SM is a complete failure on every level. If the developer had taken the time to think about these concepts, there's millions of ways this game could have been improved, but ShatMemz feels like a game designed by hopeless amateurs. After playing it, I'll steer clear of any game Climax makes in the future.
    Tsuganai. Never buy a game based on the composer, even if it is Yasunori Mitsuda.
    Company of Heroes 2. Ugh. What a disgrace after the first game.
    I bought a special edition preorder of Sim City (2013)...

Kickstarting Godus is also pretty high on the list.
  • Avatar for The_Solution #48 The_Solution 3 years ago
    Halo 4. Played all of 30 mins of that game before realising it was exactly like every other Halo, which I think is a series that's way over-hyped.
    @Percinho I'd like to change my Answer, Spore so under delivered on what I thought it was going to be.
    @VotesForCows Would you consider giving Arkham Origins a go? It has a bad reputation but I really enjoyed it. Arkham City left me cold but I liked Asylum and Origins.
  • Avatar for StruckByLightning #51 StruckByLightning 3 years ago
    V-Rally on N64. Was about 15 at the time and spent months saving up for a game. Decided at the last minute to go for V-Rally, took it home, realised how average (being generous) it was and spent weeks and weeks regretting buying it.
    As a kid, I spent my birthday money on Fester's Quest for the NES.
  • Avatar for MekkaGodzilla #53 MekkaGodzilla 3 years ago
    Oh God, Legend of Dragoon. What a horrible mess of a game. And I bought an American import (I'm French), so it was maybe a hundred bucks.
    I remember the press back in the day did favorable previews for this, what a betrayal.
    Old game: Dragon Power. Since I was a slave to my allowance back then and had to save up for months to buy a game, I had no choice but to play it until I could save up for another new game. It was an awful game. What a waste.

New game: Watch Dogs. I was in the mood for another sprawling open world game like GTA V. But Watch Dogs just felt off. Driving wasn't fun. Getting chased by the cops was even less fun. Missions were boring. The worst part: I bought it digitally on PS4, so I'm stuck with it.
    I haven't really been buying games for a long time, as I didn't have much in the sense of a console or handheld to play it on. Still, there's always Steam.

There's a number of bad/mediocre games on my Steam account, not all of which I have actually bought, so I'll keep it limited to games I actually paid money for.

Wake is certainly one of them. It's amusing, sure, and it was part of a package and came with Lunnye Devitsy. Still, rather a waste of space, if I'm being honest.

Offspring Fling! is another game that has potential and can be fun for a while, but eh. Eeeeh.

I'm on the fence for Final Fantasy III, since it's not a *horrible* game. The NDS and Steam versions just have that despicable thing where changing jobs requires you to fight a number of battles to change fully. I have no doubt I'll have fun with it when I play it, but the concept of adjusting jobs is sure to give me frustration.

And the one thing I certainly regret buying: Lucid. I don't even know why or when I bought it. It's some kind of Bejeweled-like game with achievements. At least it can't have been too expensive.Edited August 2014 by Hoolo
    Rise of the Robots on CD32... ....SO bad.
    @sean697 totally agree, I thought GTA4 was awful, never finished it.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #58 VotesForCows 3 years ago
    @paul_haine You're the first person to say that, though people who don't like City are a rare breed to start with! I'll check out the reviews and see what I think. Thanks for the recommendation.
  • Avatar for PreposterousWhitey #59 PreposterousWhitey 3 years ago
    Came here to say Legend of Mana, so imagine my surprise that@Mike.Williams shares that experience. I went to the local GameCrazy back when it existed, and I begged my mom to buy me the only used copy they had despite the fact that it was sixty-ish dollars. I adored Secret of Mana as a kid, and this was the first time I'd heard of this "sequel". So I gathered up my fellow SoM-loving friends, expecting a cooperative RPG masterpiece on a new platform and got... whatever the HELL that thing was.

Severely disappointed, I then begged my poor mother to take it back. She had to argue for quite a while, since they had a pretty strict policy on not accepting returns for working games, but eventually they relented and she got her money back. Thank god. I always felt bad for making my mom spend money on me, and she had done it that time as a rare treat. I didn't like her wasting it on a game I never wanted to touch again.

Years later, I came across the amazing soundtrack by Yoko Shimomura and it was an incredible relief. That game, that entire debacle, was worth it because it allows that soundtrack to exist. Mmmmm...

Aside from that, I regret basically every recent purchase from Ubisoft. I bought my PS4 for MGSVGG and inFAMOUS, so after finishing those I treated myself to Assassin's Creed 4. I didn't wanna leave the house, so I bought it digitally and figured I was safe because I had enjoyed 2 and Brotherhood quite a bit. Plus, all the reviews and a few friends told me that this one was great. I gave it 5 hours, desperately trying to wring enjoyment from it, but the pleasure never came.

Then I bought Watch Dogs later on for the same reason, and because I'd bought into the hype honestly. I played for about an hour, realized it was the same junk I'd gotten with AC4 but in a more modern setting, and took it to GameStop to get enough credit to buy a 3DS game instead. I'm glad I went physical with that one.

I also regret Far Cry 3 for the PC, but at least I only paid like $7 for it. In other words, I'm never buying a non-Rayman Ubisoft game again...
    Asphalt: Urban GT, Ridge Racer DS, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for DS. The first two came from an unusual sudden interest in racing (and a desire to play games on my DS). The last... I have no idea what line of thinking compelled me to play that unfortunate N-Gage port.
    Paper Mario: Sticker Star.
    I... i dunno. I tried so hard to love that game, but in the end I begrudge it the 4 or 5 hours it stole from me.
    The only game I can honestly say I regret buying is Call of Duty Ghosts for PC. After playing it on a friend's PS4 I knew it was a fairly solid COD, but holy hell is the PC port horrific. Weird texture and sound glitches, very rarely sustains 60fps even on the lowest possible settings despite my PC comfortably trumping the recommended specs, and to add to that, the insulting fact that I can't get my money back as I bought through Steam.
  • Avatar for George-Roper #63 George-Roper 3 years ago
    Titanfall on PC.

Never have I experienced such deep regret on making an impulse purchase. A shallow, hollow game sold on hype with a developer behind it who essentially chose to leave PC gamers wallowing in the many problems and issues it had, for several months, until they'd done enough work for the console versions.

Never again, Respawn.
    Tales of Symphonia 2: Dawn of the New World - my little brother and I loved the original Symphonia and this sequel was a punch in the face. We fought maybe one battle - a bear, I think.

Dark Cloud - we didn't get the point of this game. Bland dungeons, weapons that break. Can anyone enlighten me?

Conception II - I was so excited for this game, anticipating Persona. I resold it quickly on eBay, so net loss of only $10.
    Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. I don't have anything else to say.
    Merck for the Commodore 64. At the time everyone was playing their megadrive and snes and I was stuck with the C64. I loved the game in the arcades. Reviews were terrible but I was desperate to play any version of the game I loved. What I got was something so badly put together that you spent most of the game waiting for the screen scroll to catch up with the player. Absolute gash.
    Gelareans Ash. Jesus
    There are plenty of bad games I've gotten for various reasons over the years, but I don't think the regret has even sunk in quite as quickly as my impulse "hey it's on sale on PSN and I just got a PS4" purchase of Battlefield 4 the other week. I didn't even see any bugs, I just started playing it and like 10 minutes in, I realized it was doing absolutely nothing for me and never would. And I can't even sell it back for peanuts to Gamestop because it's a digital purchase. Sigh.
  • Avatar for TheLostSkeleton #69 TheLostSkeleton 3 years ago
    So many games jump to mind. The Xbox Live Arcade version of Rocket Knight, countless games on Steam (most recently: Carnage Racing).

But a lot of entries in this article really just made me think of Chrono Cross. I wanted Chrono Trigger 2, and instead I got a game that was almost completely and entirely unrelated on just about every single conceivable level. It was also a confusing, boring mess. Too many characters, too little character development, and not enough explanation of just what the hell was going on. What few ties it did share with Chrono Trigger weren't revealed until 30+ hours in to the game, too. And then there's the fact it came from an era where Square-Enix was starting to get experimental with their games, so even though there are battles to be fought, you don't get any traditional experience points from them, which kind of drains a lot of the fun.

Alternatively, I'd name Final Fantasy 8, but I was lucky enough to not have bought FF8.

A close runner-up would be Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete. I could never get past the mushroom monster in the Magic Trial caves. You only had two party members, and he could KO you in one or two hits. It was just a matter of luck whether or not you could get in there and revive them before the other person fell. Vic Ireland loved to make his games hard, and that meant an impossible roadblock for me less than three hours in to the game. I was really looking forward to it, too.
    Killer Instinct Gold. It wasn't terrible but I spent a lot of money on it and didn't have much fun with it. :(
  • Avatar for Zero-Crescent #71 Zero-Crescent 3 years ago
    I've got two:
    - Mobile Suit Gundam: Journey to Jaburo (PS2) - The first game I bought for my PS2. To be fair, this one was mostly on me. Before buying it, I rented it from Blockbuster (IIRC as a part of that monthly game-rental membership they had going for a while), and played through most of the content. It's a very short game, where most of the content comes from playing . But for some reason, perhaps being too much of a Gundam fan back then, I wanted to buy it anyways. I ended up finishing the rest of the content within a day or two. Big waste of $50.

- Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis) - I don't need to say much more. EDIT: But I will anyway: *picks up an magazine* "Wow, Sonic in 3D! I loved Sonics 1 2 and 3, and it has Donkey Kong Country-like graphics! Awesome!" *picks up the game* "Wait, why is Sonic not moving faster than a brisk walk? Why are the controls so unresponsive? Why am I wandering aimlessly to rescue Flickies? Why are Tails and Knuckles relegated only to being bonus stage markers? WHY DID I GET THIS AGAIN?"Edited August 2014 by Zero-Crescent
  • Avatar for ShadowTheSecond #72 ShadowTheSecond 3 years ago
    @Zero-Crescent

I entirely forgot about Sonic 3D Blast! That was certainly a downer. Somehow Sonic Labyrinth didn't hurt too much, perhaps because i was lenient on the Game Gear as a child.
    Diablo 3 when it launched. It was to be my one game purchase for a period of time when my bank account was on shaky ground, and I picked it up on the strength of all the other Blizzard games I've gotten hooked into. It turns out that moues clicking is my least favorite type of gameplay, and loot does little to motivate me. I burned out less than halfway in on Normal. I remember seeing so many releases pass by right after that I wish I'd jumped into instead.

I've certainly picked up worse games as a kid (Kid Chameleon comes to mind), but I always put time into those games regardless.
    I've got to go with Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. I bought it after a recommendation from... Penny Arcade, I think? I went in expecting a crazy scifi adventure, and was stuck on one medieval planet after another for thirty hours. I wanted spaceships, gosh darnit! I eventually sold it so I would be able to stop looking at it and feeling bad.
    I'm with Bob. I traded a perfectly good copy of Grandia 2 for that game. Bleah.
    The only game I truly regret is Unlimited Saga. I brought it at full price, and I couldn't have put more than 5-6 hours in to it total.
    While I enjoyed Legend of Mana (First impressions were meh but I eventually came to love it for what it was instead of lamenting what it wasn't), I definitely understand how someone expecting something more like Secret of Mana could be turned off by the game. I didn't mind the changes to multiplayer so much, but the move to more brawler-esque environment design for the quest areas and combat and not having one particular goal to work towards did take a lot of getting used to.

Anyway, my biggest regret in game purchases was Xenosaga Episode 1. I thought it would be this awesome RPG experience that would change everything (I mean c'mon, sci-fi RPG with mecha in space), but what I got was a game that was very linear and didn't know how to shut up. It's not the first sci-fi RPG to disappoint me, but for me it was the biggest disappointment, especially since I bought it new.
    @MetManMas : Strangely enough, I really enjoyed Xenosaga: Episode 1. It was the second game that I was incredibly sour on. It's one of the few games I've ever bothered cheating on just to finish up and move to the sequel. Although, ironically, levels didn't really help a whole lot in that game, it's pretty much entirely reliant on mastering the break system to deal significant damage.

Definitely liked Legend of Mana, although it was an incredibly different beast from SoM and SD3. My brother and I traded gifts that year, I got LoM for my birthday, then I got him Chrono Cross. Of course, in truly ironic fashion, I'm the one that beat CC first, and he beat LoM first (and several times, in fact).
    I've actually wasted money on quite a few games in my time, because I used to work video game retail and bought way too many games in general, so this is pretty hard. I mean, I have lots of mediocre Gundam games, for instance, so none of those really stand out. I'm sure some people will be upset at me for saying this (perhaps including a certain editor-in-chief), but I bought Vagrant Story when it came out and absolutely hated it. I think the fact that so many people love it makes it come to mind far easier than, say, that PS2 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure game I shouldn't have spent $80 to import.
  • Avatar for matthewjohnson31 #80 matthewjohnson31 3 years ago
    There are a ton of games for the NES that don't technically count because my dad was the one buying them. We were living on an army base in Germany at the time, which limits your options considerably, besides which Dad, bless his heart, didn't have the greatest taste. Of all the shovelware we ended up with, though, the worst was Gyromite -- a pack-in game with the ROB edition of the console -- because if you got that it meant you didn't get Super Mario Bros. Just two novelty peripherals and their associated gimmick games. Duck Hunt was fun enough, but I probably wasn't nearly as happy with my new toy as I should have been. I didn't even know what SMB was until 1989...

If we're talking my own money, it's kind of tough. I want to say Suikoden IV, because it is unquestionably the worst game I've ever bought and if I played it for the first time today there's a good chance I'd smash the disc with a hammer. But the game I most regret BUYING is one of my top 5: SMT Nocturne, which I paid I believe 110 dollars for in 2007. It costs what, ten dollars now on PSN?
  • Avatar for matthewjohnson31 #81 matthewjohnson31 3 years ago
    @dekar346 I feel your pain, as this was my experience with The Second Story. Does the entire series pull the same bait-and switch?
    I instantly regretted buying Dillon's Rolling Western. It's not fun, at all. The battles are repetitive. The art style reminded me of a discarded N64 game. And the controls! Oh, man. It was really frustrating.
  • Avatar for Blackcompany #83 Blackcompany 3 years ago
    Risen 3. Gods what a terrible game. Voice acting, animations, combat system, writing and quests. It literally has not one redeeming quality.

I did, however, learn a solid lesson with this $50 waste. Namely: If after three video reviews, you remain on the fence about a game, pass. Life is too short and there are too many demands on a gamer's time, for that gamer to spend $50 on a game they only might like.
    @nickn conversely, that is my proudest rental from blockbuster.
  • Avatar for NextSureThing #85 NextSureThing 3 years ago
    Unlimited SaGa. I read the reviews, did a little research, and I still believed I could penetrate its mysteries and enjoy it. I was wrong. Fortunately I didn't buy it at launch, but rather paid ten bucks for it a year or two later.Edited August 2014 by NextSureThing
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately due to the RPG Daily Classics, but I'm sad to say: Wasteland for C64. Not that it's a bad game! It could be incredible and it sure sounds great, but I could never figure out how to start. I've tried a couple of times and never gotten more than 5 minutes in before getting stuck.

Here's my story: I picked it up after finishing Final Fantasy convinced me that RPGs were awesome. I must've been 11 or 12, and the box art called to me. I spent days poring over the manual and fell in love with the idea of the game before even loading it up. Feeling prepared, I started the game and got my party all set up as I'd been planning.

Here's where I get stuck, and I'm sure I'm an idiot for this. I start fighting giant bunnies - the only enemies I find outside the starting town. I can melee them and take damage, or use my limited ammo and just shoot them. Either way, they're easy - but unlike all other sensible RPG monsters, they don't carry cash. All they ever drop is apples, which are of course the much more logical thing for radioactive bunnies to carry. For some reason, I can't eat these apples. So I need money for health, ammo, and ultimately a radiation suit to advance the game. Thinking, "Money can be exchanged for goods and services," I try to sell the apples so I can buy what I need, but I can't seem to sell them anywhere. So that's the end of the game for me. What the hell do I do with all these apples?
  • Avatar for scottskocy03 #87 scottskocy03 3 years ago
    Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth. Twice. I bought it for the PS1 because it looked like FFT. Unfortunately, it played like butt, so I returned it and bought FFIX. Then years later it got a remake on DS and I thought I might not have given it a fair shot way back when. I had; the game is still butt.
    @cldmstrsn I guess a lot of people enjoyed Blast Corps for Nintendo 64 hahaha.
    Spider-Man (The animated series one) for the Genesis. The game isn't horrible but I bought it instead of Gunstar Heroes.
    @Punk1984 : I've got the SNES version of this, picked up in the last few months. It's... not all that good, and I can definitely see where one would regret getting it over Gunstar!
  • Avatar for justinfinkbeiner65 #91 justinfinkbeiner65 3 years ago
    Lunar: Dragon Song.
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #92 Godots17thCup 3 years ago
    I still rue the $10 I wasted on a copy of Quest 64.
    @Godots17thCup I have an irrational affection for Quest 64. It was terrible, to be sure. But it was interesting at least. Not a lot of RPG's where you control a single character, who's a mage to boot. I think the worst part was getting turned around after battles. And finding those little magic wisps that let you upgrade your spells. And the weird item system. Hope you save every piece of bread for the last boss!
    @Blackcompany Risen 2 was a really fun game, with an interesting setting, and it looks like the stripped all the cool piratey stuff out of 3 in favor of yet another medieval setting. Glad I skipped it.Edited August 2014 by dekar346
    @SargeSmash As usual the Sega Genesis version is worse than the SNES port.
    Code of Princess.

I figured that an Atlus game that was essentially Guardian Heroes with Kinu Nishimura character designs (complete with an art book and soundtrack!) would be good. Nope: it was mediocre. Even the art book is garbage.

I bought it before I had a 3DS. In retrospect, I should have bought Etrian Odyssey IV, which was also a recent release at the time.
    @Damman I totally agree. Original PC release was shameful. I just picked up reaper of souls on PS4 and it is the game D3 should have been. I hate the constant clicking and the dialogue/story is so HORRENDOUS. Playing it on a controller in adventure mode with a few others local multi-player fixes all that.
    Wario World.

The game itself is probably fine, I should probably take another look at it sometime. No, the reason I have regretted this purchase for over a decade is that I could have easily picked up a copy of Ikaruga. The only copy I have seen in the flesh and I ignored it in favor of Wario World.

Under other circumstances, I would nominate Universal Studios Theme Park Adventure for the GameCube, but that was too cheap and interestingly weird to qualify.
  • Avatar for JohnnyBarnstorm #98 JohnnyBarnstorm 3 years ago
    Motorstorm for the PS3. Ugh. I paid $70 for it because I wanted a game for my new PS3 in 2007. That game should have been a $20 budget title. Awful music, irritating presentation, dull gameplay.

Also Fire Pro Wrestling. 1UP gave it an A+. At least it was only ten bucks. I kinda hated Phantasy Star Online because I was hoping for another JRPG, and Shenmue because everyone sounded sleepy.Edited August 2014 by JohnnyBarnstorm
  • Avatar for JohnnyBarnstorm #99 JohnnyBarnstorm 3 years ago
    @jeremy.parish@nadiaoxford I'm pretty sure Gamefan gave it a rave review. I rented it at least, saved myself some heartache.
  • Avatar for duanethomas01 #100 duanethomas01 3 years ago
    Knack on PS4. Bland with very few redeeming qualities. It's not a nightmare shit show, but it wasn't worth "day one" money.
    For me it was Spore. I thought my hours would be taken away from me because of it but it was only about an hour in total until i stop.
    Assassin's Creed III, and Superman 64. I had my doubts about the latter, but let my brother convince me into purchasing the game. It definitely is one of the worst games of all time! The AC3 game was just disappointing, in comparison.
    I regret all the Simpson's games I stumbled upon and had the misfortune or misinformation to actually buy them, I consider myself a Simpsons fan, and that obsession led me to punish my fandom.That was until I stumbled with Hit & Run for the PS2, for which I really love and came to redeem all those awful games I bought years ago.
  • Avatar for Confidence_Trick #104 Confidence_Trick 3 years ago
    I spent £50 for Mortal Kombat 3 on the Super NES. Not a bad game but I really don't think I should have spent that much money on it :P
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #105 VotesForCows 3 years ago
    @Damman Kid Chameleon was amazing! That said, I only had it for a weekend rental. But I loved it!
    @VotesForCows I'll give you that the powers can be cool, though the overall design of the levels and the game was so out there that I could never really get it. It hits a point where you have to start using warp gates to randomly jump around between levels. If I remember right, you needed to do use a particular order of warps (unexplained) to get to the final boss. Even with a game genie I was never sure how to beat it. It's worth noting too, that my wimpy younger self was freaked out as soon as I turned into the meat cleaver throwing hockey mask guy. That game had some freaky designs to it.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #107 VotesForCows 3 years ago
    @Damman I'd forgotten about that - I remember finishing the game, but the warp gates are a bit of a blur. So typical of games from that period to have some ridiculous mechanic to pad out the length of the game.
    Oh, and to my teenage self the hockey-mask was a big bonus!
  • Avatar for garysmithii54 #108 garysmithii54 3 years ago
    Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. Preordered it after loving the Sands of Time for its fun platforming, and spiffy soundtrack. Before I got off the boat at the beginning of Warrior I hated the game. Stopped during the fight with the lady he calls a bitch. Never turned it back on.
    I bought the first Baldur's Gate when I was like eleven maybe, and when I got killed by the mage-assassin you encounter right outside the Friendly Arm at the beginning of the game, I decided the game was too hard or complex for me or something. I returned it and got some strategy game called Imperium Galactica, which was not great. I later went back and played Baldur's Gate and all the infinity engine games, and they are some of my favorite games. I don't recall much of anything about Imperium Galactica.

Comments