USgamer Community Question: What Was the Most Successful Platform of 2017?

Which platform had the best year in 2017?

Article by USgamer Team, .

2017 was a good year for video game platforms. The Nintendo Switch came out and brought Nintendo back triumphantly into the hardware race, Microsoft launched the most powerful home console with the Xbox One X, and PlayStation 4 continued to dominate sales while bolstering existing products like the PlayStation 4 Pro and PlayStation VR.

So we ask you: what's your pick for most successful platform of 2017?

No answers from the USgamer team this week, but check out our 2017 Wrap-up coverage for more end of year goodness!

I mean, for me it has to be the Switch, but you could make a good argument for the PS4. The Switch has probably the best first year library I’ve ever seen, and the PS4 has an absolutely amazing lineup of exclusives after this year. It’s hard to chose objectively, but for me personally, choosing the Switch is easy, because I have one, and I don’t have a PS4. I think we can all agree that the Xbox One had a pretty mediocre year, overall.
    Nintendo had a great comeback in 2017, but as much as I want the new Mario and Zelda and portable Skyrim I know a lot of the Switch's lineup right now is made up of ports and YMMV arcade-ish titles.

My vote goes to PS4 'cuz Sony's release schedule was seriously rocking it this year. NieR: Automata, Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Yakuza 0, Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, Resident Evil 7 with VR support, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, Horizon Zero Dawn, Gran Turismo Sport, Uncharted: Lost Legacy, Night in the Woods, console ports of Undertale and 2064: Read Only Memories, and so much more. This was easily the PS4's best year yet.
  • Avatar for NightingaleXP #4 NightingaleXP 30 days ago
    @MetManMas To be fair, haha, like half of those PS4 releases you note are also remakes/ports.

Not saying PS4 didn't have a good year but dang did the Switch grab high with its big tentpole titles.
    I played the most games on PS4. Even if I played Mario Odyssey and moved my zelda playing from Wii U to Switch, that would have only brought the switch up to 2nd-3rd area with the Vita and PS3. Nier Automata, Persona 5, FF15, 3 of my top 5 games were on PS4, and only 1 was on Switch, and I didn't even play it there. (I count FF15 as a 2017 game, it came out too late in 2016, just as Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be a 2018 game for me.)
    PS4 wins by default for me since it's the only console I have. It's got lots of neat exclusives, a pile of remakes of games that I didn't get around to playing the first time around, all my RPG lovelies, etc. Hardware wise, it got a lot of neat upgrades with the Pro for 4K and PSVR. I'm not going to use either of these, but the fact that they're there at all is pretty darn awesome.

The Switch made an explosive showing this year, but I'm not going to buy a console for the maybe three first party games that seem good (I haven't had a Nintendo system since the SNES). If I play games, it's on my living room TV or PC desk. I don't commute. I don't play games in bed. Half of the Switch hardware would be completely wasted on me, because unlike the rest of the population, I hate playing games on mobile devices (phones or gaming systems).
    From my perspective the PS4 may outclass the Switch in sales and hardware capabilities, but the Switch has laid a foundation for a major impact on the industry that is more significant than what PS4 accomplished this year. So my pick is the Switch.
    Both Switch and PS4 had really great years. It's a tough call.

I think in terms of great games, PS4 has the edge. It has some of the absolute best exclusives this year: Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, and especially Persona 5. It has NieR Automata and Danganronpa V3 which are available on PC but I'd rather play on PS4.

The Switch has Zelda and Mario which are incredible exclusives on their own. It also has some other great games like Blaster Master Zero, Arms, Splatoon 2. It was a very strong launch year for the Switch, the strongest for any system in a long time.

I think I lean towards PS4 because my personal favorite games of the year are NieR and Persona 5, but Switch is very close behind! Putting the games aside, the Switch itself is my favorite piece of hardware. It's just a really cool system and fun to carry around, but stands up well as a console experience. It really is the best of both worlds.
    I reckon PS4 had better games this year, which you'd expect since its a more mature system and my tastes can be somewhat niche. But Switch made a huge splash and has really helped Nintendo turn a corner, so I'd probably go for Switch.
  • Avatar for Fourfoldroot #10 Fourfoldroot 29 days ago
    Considering the implications had the Switch flopped, combined with sales almost on par with the launch of the base PS4 (albeit with less competition from rival launches) I don't see any answer other than the Switch was the most successful platform.

Having said that Sony ran them close with PS4 sales and PSVR sales equal to launch month. For me the PSVR selling 2 million and, importantly, getting lots of great software support was the biggest win considering it failing could have derailed VR in the console space for some time. This would have been tragic. As is, games like Resi7 and Skyrim VR have proven to be the most memorable experiences of the year. The console has also had 8 of my top 10 games of the year.

It remains to be seen how MS have done. They've won back some of their brand respect now they have "the most powerful console ever (yet)" but we don't know sales figures and MS have said they don't expect them to be high.Edited 5 weeks ago by Fourfoldroot
    As I watched my coworkers playing the Switch at our Christmas party, it's pretty clear that it is an undeniable success, but I can't give it to the Switch. I played 6 really incredible games this year, 2 of which are in my top ten of all time, and they were all on the PS4. It also hurts Nintendo's case when of the two really big "must have" games, I really didn't enjoy one much at all.
    I'm going to agree with the USG article here: Switch. PS4 and PC had great years too. Xbox just kind of existed. But the Switch came out with an idea almost everyone loves, with not just one but two of the best games ever made in their two biggest franchises, got third party support for the first time since the early GameCube days, made a home for indie devs, released a new IP in Arms, sequels to two of their biggest new franchises: Splatoon and Xenoblade and all in a span of 9 or so months.

Between a successful launch, two games sitting at a 97 on Metacritic, a great concept for a system, and loads of fun games, I think 2017 belonged to Nintendo.
    Switch did much better than expected, with many publishers jumping onto the bandwagon.
    Still, PC and especially Steam really had an amazing year.
    Switch for me. It actually had games I wanted to play on it. The PS4 disappointed me. It was basically a machine where any game on it I got on my PC. What exclusives there were were disappointing and even persons 5 was on PS3.

Xbox one was just the PS4 but worse.
    Well it's hard to argue against the Switch considering how important it is for a system to quickly develop momentum and the Switch has nothing if not momentum. Can't say I expected it to find an audience so quickly.

That said, the PS4 had a great year too with a lot of notable exclusives (well "console" exclusives anyway) and just had it's best sales month ever, and four years in is still on pace with PS2 numbers, which I don't think anyone expected in 2017.
    I'm not arguing that Nintendo 3DS was the most successful platform, but it should get some love considering how many people (myself included) assumed that the little handheld would become irrelevant after Switch. 3DS had a decent selection of releases, including Dragon Quest 8, Metroid: Samus Returns, and Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. Perhaps a few too many ports and remakes (including the three titles I just mentioned), but 3DS somehow became the little handheld that could, trudging forward despite declining support and aging technology.Edited 5 weeks ago by Namevah
    Switch completely. PS4 had some great games on it but Nintendo really brought it's A game in this first year and pretty much dominated the headlines each month with something either new (Mario), old (Mario Kart and Pokken), weird (Mario+Rabbids), amazing (Zelda) or just really fun (Splatoon 2). And along side that brought Bethesda in the mix strangely enough with Skyrim and Doom. While PS4 had lots of great games (Persona 5, Nier, and Gravity Rush 2) Nintendo really sold a lot of people that completely dismissed them in ways that I feel even Nintendo is shocked at. As for Microsoft...well they launched the X but without exclusives (or even games that is only on X console along side PC like Nier) they really didn't have a whole lot of show for it.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #18 Tetragrammaton 29 days ago
    This is a discussion that comes up every year thst only has one proper answer every year: the PC.

Thousands of new games came out on PC this year. Genres that don't exist on consoles thrived this year. Ancient and modern games received ongoing support from loving fans in the form of compatibilty mods, fanpatches and added content mods this year. Digital platforms made PC games affordable for people all over the world in their sale seasons this year.

I love my Switch, 3DS and my friends love their set top boxes and handhelds. But c'mon--every year is a banner year for computers.
    @Tetragrammaton No arguing that PC has the best games output, but that's never stopped consoles from prospering. I know PCs have gotten better about this in recent years (and consoles a li'l worse), but affordability, ease of access, and knowing that the game will work more or less as intended are reasons why many people still prefer consoles.

That said, I really would like to get a good gaming PC rig one of these days. Probably start with a cheap $300 or less rig (even if it can only run games from 10 years ago reliably I'm fine with that, love me some old school cRPGs) then see about installing a better graphics chip later on.
    I think it’s got to be the Switch for me, my top three games are all Switch games (Mario Odyssey, Blaster Master Zero, Mighty Gunvolt Burst) and it’s definitely had the most use this year. The Xbox One has made a come back with the X, I’ve been playing on it quite a lot over the last few weeks but I’ve been playing stuff like Ninja Gaiden Black, Mirror’s Edge and Resident Evil 4 so I think something has gone a bit wrong in the exclusives department at Microsoft, there’s nothing recent I want to play.

The big loser this year is probably the PS4, I’ve barely turned the Pro on, I even had a “We miss you” email from Sony with a voucher trying to tempt me to buy some games for it!
    Most successful is NS, but my favorite was Wii U. Splatoon 2 was disappointing, and I went back to Splatoon 1. Much more fun.
    I'd have to say the PS4 as Sony released a Slim and Pro model, and offered MANY deals on the online storefront. I got to play Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy XII, Persona 5, and other gamers got their Doom, Wolfensteins, and so much more. Sony remains the king with their aggressive bang for the buck tactics.

The Nintendo Switch would be a very close second due to it releasing two of the best games in its two best franchises, however, the online marketplace (which the company is still trying to come to grips) needs a lot of work and deals. There's a reason why Sony had a major success with the PS1 twenty years ago, and part of it was cheap licensing and cheap media. All three companies have access to the latter, but Nintendo has not been very welcoming in regards to the former. Sure we'll have some indies ported over, and some Arcade Archives, but it's only enough but not good for the wallet. Well I can't knock too hard, Nintendo is known for quality experiences, and even though buying the Switch took a huge chunk of my wallet, I am having a lot of fun and it's starting to touch me in ways I haven't felt in decades.Edited 4 weeks ago by riderkicker
  • Avatar for UnskippableCutscene #23 UnskippableCutscene 29 days ago
    PC. I know PUBG isn’t for me, but it did bring a genre to the masses, and along the way it’s gotten great copies of major releases, a few fun exclusives like Quake Champions (much more my speed than PUBG), and hasn’t been left off the train of console-like platformer experiences such as Cuphead and Sonic Mania. It also got a great implementation of a much-maligned Destiny experience.

I was one of those people saying PC was dead during the PS360 era. But a GTX 1060 and a 6+ thread CPU is a great gaming experience right now, and with Ryzen’s launch the market for gaming-viable CPUs is lower than it’s been in a long time.Edited 2 times. Last edited 4 weeks ago by UnskippableCutscene
    It has to be Switch for me! Starting April, I was interested in at least a game each week. That's pretty damned amazing.

I sold my PS4 this year because its library wasn't nearly as interesting to me.Edited 4 times. Last edited 4 weeks ago by nilcam
  • The PS4 may have had a very strong fourth year, but the Switch made third parties strongly consider porting upcoming games to an underpowered Nintendo console. Regardless of what you may feel of the actual games on the Switch, turning heads like that makes you the most successful.
    Both Switch and PS4 had such fantastic years, that I think it’s a tie between them. PS4 had some truly excellent exclusives this year and crossed another major sales milestone. Meanwhile, Switch launched to great commercial success and had what has to be the best first year line-up for a console in recent memory.Edited 5 times. Last edited 4 weeks ago by docexe
    @Tetragrammaton See, I pretty much feel the opposite. I've never felt like any particular year has belonged to the PC. Sheer number of games don't matter when 99% of those games aren't really that interesting. Looking at the "big" games for PC this year, even the alleged "best" one PUBG is a game that even it's fans admit is really not a very well designed game, but it's popular despite it's faults. A lot of the other popular games are the niche role-player stuff which are popular among the people who like that sort of thing.

I really think that this year in particular, PC games were absolutely blown away by the incredible quality of console games. That's just me, but I'm obviously not alone.
  • Avatar for SuperShinobi #28 SuperShinobi 28 days ago
    PS4 this year had one of the best years of any console ever. So many great games that it was hard to keep up. MetManMas already did a good list and I 'd add Nex Machina, Edith Finch and Pyre - three more highly-rated PS4 console exclusives of 2017. Resident Evil 7 was an impressive flagship game for the PSVR.

Nintendo also had a great year with the Switch, one of the best debut years of any console. Breath of the Wild is truly a killer app for the Switch, such an engrossing game.Edited 4 weeks ago by SuperShinobi

Comments