USgamer Community Question: What's the First Game You Bought That You Wish You Could've Returned?

What's the first game you wish you could've sent spinning back in the cashier's face?

Article by USgamer Team, .

Regretful video game purchases. We've all made them. Some of us have made several dozen.

Sometimes a game we pick up is not what we anticipated. Sometimes it's glitched beyond belief. Sometimes it's boring. And sometimes it just doesn't click with you, even if the world around you seems to love it.

Name the first game you wish you'd returned.

Kat Bailey Editor-in-Chief

I wish I could've returned my investment in Mighty No. 9. I'm sure most of you can relate: Mighty No. 9 was announced, everyone was excited by some concept art, and the money came pouring in. I put my $60 in with the initial rush because I really wanted that fancy retro box. And how could a Mega Man revival possibly be bad?

Well, we saw how. Mighty No. 9 ended up being so discouragingly bad that I didn't even have the heart to redeem the code. I've purchased and returned a lot of bad games in my time—most them—but Mighty No. 9 really took the take. If I could get my $60 back, I would in a heartbeat. But as it is, I'll just have to take it as an expensive lesson learned.

Mike Williams Editor

X-Men Destiny, straight up. I have never been more disappointed in a game. I've never been so saddened to see a developer miss the selling point and create such a poor title. If I could get my time back from any game, even the span before I actually played it, X-Men Destiny would be the one.

Imagine an action RPG where you can create your own mutant with a variety of powers. Imagine being able to take your mutant into world of the X-Men, navigating your way between the X-Men and the Brotherhood. X-Men Destiny was supposed to be Knights of The Old Republic for the X-franchise. Instead, we got an action game with slow button-mashing combat, few meaningful choices in the story, and only three mutant characters to choose from.

X-Men Destiny was a disaster outside of game as well. Anonymous sources said that Silicon Knights took resources away from XMD to focus on Eternal Darkness 2. Silicon Knights founder said the real issue was the budget was negatively impacted by Disney's acquisition of Marvel. A legal case involving the game, between the studio and Epic Games, the developer of the Unreal Engine used to power XMD and Too Human, saw unsold copies being destroyed.

X-Men Destiny was dire from top to bottom, and I'm still waiting for another developer to deliver on that premise.

Nadia Oxford Staff Writer

Legend of Legaia, a 1998 PlayStation RPG. I am all about games inspired by Stephen King's The Mist -- one of the best short stories ever written -- but Legend of Legaia somehow manages to turn "Holy shit, there are Lovecraftian monsters in the fog!" into a total snoozefest.

Boss battles drag on forever, and that's a problem by itself, but the game's cut-and-paste characters give you zero motivation to save the world. The main character, Vahn, is a typical silent protagonist, and he's predictably balanced by a gruff senpai figure named Gala. Then there's the sweet, innocent feral child named Noa who would be completely immemorable if not for the part in the game where she puts her hands behind her back, cocks her head, and asks Vahn what a pimp is. That scene is burned into my memory forever.

I never got around to returning Legend of Legaia, and I can't even remember why. I think being in the vicinity of the game just sapped my will to celebrate life. Or maybe I was secretly addicted to the game's overworld theme. A few years later, someone broke into our apartment and stole Suikoden II, but left Legend of Legaia behind. FML.

Caty McCarthy Staff Writer

I'm gonna go recent on this one, because I don't want a hate mob on my back for saying I dislike a beloved 3DS RPG. (On that note though: I've always found this ZEAL piece to be illustrative as to why.)

Anywho late last year, I was so, so excited to finally play Final Fantasy XV. As a tepid fan of Kingdom Hearts, I was elated seeing the game rebranded those many E3s ago; no longer Versus XIII, now warranting its own roman numeral next to it. This was the first massive change in direction for the series, throwing in a static party of four cool boys, a road trip, and action combat.

Alas, I ended up having a frankly terrible time with Final Fantasy XV. It's common for me to drop games when I get distracted with others, but it's rare for me to completely abhor an experience as I did with Final Fantasy XV. I always think back to why I had such a passionate distaste for it, and I always circle back to the fact that it just never felt like Final Fantasy to me. The story was an incomprehensible mess, I wasn't particularly fond of its bland take on an open world, the combat was clunky. The coolest things about the game—the road trip aspect, Prompto's camera—were instead buried under the mess of everything else.

I still firmly believe that there's a great game somewhere in Final Fantasy XV. Even if playing it felt like there were too many cooks in the kitchen. Almost like before development, its pitch meeting went something like Key & Peele's joke-meeting for Gremlins 2. Too many ideas for one single game, losing what made Final Fantasy games so special in the first place. (Side note: I don't hate Final Fantasy XIII because I love its world, characters, and combat even if its pacing is whack, so I guess take this all with a grain of salt? Final Fantasy IX is also the best one. Bye.)

Matt Kim News Editor

What a coincidence that this is the community question the same week that the game I want to answer with is getting a re-release on the PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. Yup, I'm talking about Team Bondi's LA Noire.

I'm a pretty big fan of detective dramas, and as a LA native the idea of an open-world adventure game set in old timey Hollywood excited me a lot. I had just finished up Red Dead Redemption so Rockstar's involvement was a plus. And of course this being 2011, the idea of facial animation so precise you can use it to figure out whether or not a character was lying felt like a big leap into the future.

Then I booted it up and played it in practically one sitting. After finishing the game I let the game sit with me for a couple days, then I actually did end up returning it.

I had a couple issues with the game, even beyond the lackluster combat and driving. The story fell far short of any hardboiled detective mystery. At best it felt like a subpar TV drama, at worst a cut-and-past story of a bunch of different other detective stories. Cole Phelps? He's a huge asshole but the game doesn't actually justify it with a complex narrative. They just push him through a trope-laden story but with nothing new to show for it.

I could go on and on, but I guess what happened was that I might have been too hyped for the game, only to have it disappoint me greatly. So much so that I couldn't stand having it on my game shelf. Funny enough, my friends send me a copy of LA Noire every couple of years as a joke so I actually own three copies of the game now.

Related Tags

I tried to think of any early game that I regret buying and it's so much easier to think fondly of old games. My great shame this year is that I bought Mass Effect Andromeda digitally and it was such a huge mistake. The campaign obviously had some nice production values but everything occupying the beautiful skybox was lifeless garbage. I couldn't get further than maybe 5 hours of the campaign. I tried to convince myself that the multiplayer was worth playing in order to feel better about spending the money but they even managed to downgrade the action from 3. I guess it was my love of the old trilogy that blinded me to what everyone else apparently saw.
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #2 Godots17thCup 2 months ago
    While my PlayStation-owning friends had fields of plenty when it came to RPGs, with epics like Final Fantasy VII, Xenogears and Valkyrie Profile to choose from, the pickings were incredibly slim for Nintendo 64 kids like me. In my desperation to have a console RPG of my very own, I purchased a game called Quest 64.

It was, uh, not great.
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #3 WiIIyTheAntelope 2 months ago
    Destiny.

Went right back to physical copies right after that goof.
  • Avatar for Lord-Bob-Bree #4 Lord-Bob-Bree 2 months ago
    Wild ARMs 5. I disliked 4, but wanted to give the series another chance. Instead, 5 saw 4's story and characters and decided "Yeah, we can do worse. Just watch." Everything is so simplified and cliche-seeming, I just couldn't stand it.
    Nier Automata. My least favourite Platinum game. Was so looking forward to it, but got bored after a few hours. BORED! In a Platinum game!

Maybe one day I'll revisit it when I have more time to waste, and find why people think it's so good.
    There's too many to count, but the regretful game purchase that stands out for me is Evolution 2 on the Dreamcast. Bought it, played it, found it really boring next to all those PSone jRPGs I played thanks to the lame random dungeon designs and lamer fixed dungeon designs.

Took it back the next day and exchanged it for Digimon World, which wasn't a particularly good game but was at least an interesting one.
    @Godots17thCup I rented Quest 64 once. Nintendo definitely got the short end of the stick when it came to jRPGs in the late 90s, post-SNES.

I mean, Paper Mario was good, but there's like at least five or six PSone RPGs I'd rather play again before I'd replay it.
    I don't know about the first one, but the last one is Tales of Zestiria. I need to stop buying Tales games just because I loved Tales of Symphonia and liked Tales of the Abyss. I just need to accept that none of them are ever going to live up to Symphonia for me and move on from the series, because I buy them all and play them all and get sick of them earlier and earlier each time, but I always finish them anyway. Zestiria is where I finally thought "Why do I do this to myself?" and quit after a few hours.

That's not even really a criticism of the game. I'm just sick of Tales games and need to not buy them any more.
    Metal Dungeon on XBOX. See, I don't usually pick up games without some sort of research. But it looked cool, so I snagged it for $20 while in TRU. Hoo boy, was that one a stinker. So many games I could have bought instead. Barf.

If we go old-school, then I'll say Treasure Master on NES. That game was not very good at all. Except that groovy soundtrack!
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #10 VotesForCows 2 months ago
    The press around Eternal Champions (1993) on the Mega Drive /Genesis was really hot in all the games magazines, and it looked really cool in the concept art and screens. Plus tapped into my classics-nerdiness back then.

Anyway, it was pretty crap. I hated it. But I doubt my local store accepted returns back then!

@chiptoon Shame you didn't enjoy Nier - I'm also a huge Platinum fan, and loved it. Despair not though, not all games are for everyone!
  • Avatar for JinjoHayabusa #11 JinjoHayabusa 2 months ago
    I've only returned one game and that was Sonic Generations. The quarter of a second input lag on PS3 made it unplayable in my eyes. And no, it wasn't just my TV setup. That's the only platformer I've played on my PS3 that lagged that bad. Rayman Origins and Legends, for example, worked just fine.
    Ooh, if I take Kat's approach with Kickstarter: Mighty No 9 is a prime one. It looks so bad I haven't even booted it up. But since she talked about it, I'll pick another.

Dreamfall Chapters is one i want my money back on. The first videogame I backed on KS was Pillars of Eternity, the second was Dreamfall Chapters. This was before I realized that I was not meant for point and click gaming. I backed Dreamfall Chapters, bought The Longest Journey, figured I'd take the plunge, couldn't stomach the stupid puzzles and now I have Dreamfall Chapters just sitting in my Steam library.

It might even be good for what it is! But I have zero desire to play it.
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #13 LBD_Nytetrayn 2 months ago
    Tough call for me, and one I'd probably have to really think about, as I'm not one for returning or trading in games at all.

Buuuuuuut one that does come to mind is Sonic Unleashed. Not because I dislike the game so much, mind you. I love what I've played of the daytime levels and even enjoyed what little time I spent as the Werehog. What killed it for me was the Tornado.

A lousy QTE wannabe reimagining of a similar level from Sonic Adventure that occurs so early in the game and is so far apart... it effectively stonewalled me. I don't know what the problem is: A button appears on screen, I press it, and I get an ear-grating klaxon and a missile to the face for my troubles instead of progress. I don't get it, and no one who tried it on my console could get past it.

So the whole game was effectively ruined by a disparate chunk of gameplay that kept me from seeing the rest.

I got the game for $20 on an Amazon deal right when it came out, and still felt ripped off. And now that my 360 is dead and it's not backwards compatible, all it does is sit as a dark reminder.
    @chiptoon I know man, that game was so overrated. Choice of difficulty between ridiculously easy or "everyone one hit kills me", a nauseating camera and an overrated story. Plus the whole "you have to play the game twice gimmick" is the worst kind of filler and reviewers... praised it.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #15 VotesForCows 2 months ago
    @chilon Curious as to how you understand 'over rated'. I really dislike lots of highly rated games, e.g. Halo, FIFA, Dragon Age, but I'd struggle to say they're over rated. That would sort of imply that I have access to an objective level of quality assessment that reviewers and fans do not. So I guess I'm asking if you really think it's over rated, or if you just don't like it.
    Ghosts N Goblins for the NES. The graphics looked SO GOOD in the official NES players guide, but it was so hard that we couldn't get past the 3rd level.
  • Avatar for Mikki-Saturn #17 Mikki-Saturn 2 months ago
    The FIRST game I wish I could have returned? Maybe "Last Action Hero" on the Genesis.
    I think Disgaea 5 is the worst game I've ever played, let alone paid full price for. My criticisms are basically the same as Kathy's for Bravely Default, but I think even more relevant because of the genre. JRPGs rarely have combat that forces you to think, and really do rely on pacing and world building to convince you to sit through them. This is why I can forgive bravely default- you have enough levers to pull and an interesting enough world that I at least was able to enjoy the first game (if not the second). But in a world where Fire Emblem exists, Disgaea 5 is unforgivable. There is absolutely nothing interesting in that game other than the party building. The combat is so bad, and so boring, that you have to play about a hundred hours before any challenge that isn't purely self imposed starts to exist. That's completely unforgiveable in a genre that's capable of giving you interesting puzzles and challenges. I wish I hadn't been looking for a switch game to play so much that I bought a game like this.
  • Avatar for Iliya-Moroumetz #19 Iliya-Moroumetz 2 months ago
    @Roto13 That's a pity to hear, because Berseria is a much better Tales game than Zestria is. For one; no fuck-boy shounen protagonist # eleventy billion. That such be at least a good reason to give it a look see, IMO.Edited September 2017 by Iliya-Moroumetz
    @Roto13 Same here. I think that pacing and difficulty of combat is the problem with Tales series. I got Zestiria too and regretted it. Nothing will be like Phantasia, I enjoyed some moments of Symphonia, but it stretches too much for my taste. A lot of turnabouts for nothing. I just played it because it was one of the few JRPGs on GameCube.
    This is an easy one: Hydlide.

I got my NES for Christmas during the big Dragon Warrior/Nintendo Power promotion, and I loved it. Hydlide looked like a game that would scratch that itch. Anyone even remotely familiar with it understands my disappointment and frustration, especially at 11 years old.
    Nadia, Caty and Matt all have great taste if the worst games they've ever bought are Legend of Legia, FFXV and LA Noire respectively. I can understand why people wouldn't enjoy them, but none of those games are what I'd call objectively bad.
    Worst game I ever bought was NHL Stanley Cup for the SNES. The commercials made the Mode 7 graphics look amazing! The game itself played terribly though and it was way too hard to score a goal. It didn't help that the game releases the same year as NHL '94; the best hockey game ever made.
    Rebel Assault 2 for the PC.

It took me more time to convince my parents to drive me to the store so I could buy the game, come home, and install the game than it did for me to beat it.

And I paid full price for it back in 1996.

Pissed does not begin to describe how angry I was.
    Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects hands down. I thought it was going to be like Marvel vs Capcom 2, which I loved. It wasn't anything like that at all, and I blew a Christmas gift on it as a kid. There's so many better games I could've chosen that year! I ended up trading it in, but probably got less than $20 for it.

I mean, this was 2005. I could've asked for a PSP. Instead I waited until I had a job and got one in 2007. Lesson learned.
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #26 Funny_Colour_Blue 2 months ago
    I'll play anything, I'll even give bad games a fair shake, even Unlimited Saga had some pretty fantastic music, but the only game I've ever ended up actually returning was Metal Slug 4 & 5, for PS2.

My biggest gripe with it the game was the fact that besides being a direct arcade port of these game - that was it - there was nothing else to offer. No reward for beating the game on 4 quarters, no nothing. So I returned it.

Lo and behold to my surprise a few years later, metal slug anthology would have all 7 metal slug games along with these features intact...Except now with load times in between levels.Edited 2 times. Last edited September 2017 by Funny_Colour_Blue
    @JinjoHayabusa I was going to buy that game, but the input lag in the demo made it awful. You can't have a fast paced game like that with input lag. I did eventually get it on PC and it was fine.
  • Avatar for SuperShinobi #28 SuperShinobi 2 months ago
    Back in the '90s when I was gaming on the Neo Geo there were a few games I wish I could've returned. Neo Geo games typically cost about $200 apiece, so the game had to be pretty damned good to be worth buying. The Neo Geo has probably the highest ratio of hits to misses, but even then there were inevitably some clunkers that weren't worth anywhere near the asking price, probably not even $50. Like Blue's Journey, Top Hunter or Ninja Combat to name a couple. So you just had to sell them on to someone else and take a bit of financial loss.

With digital games you have to be extra careful and research your purchases well, as you can't sell your game to someone else after you've purchased it. The game I've most regretted buying this gen has been F1 2015, which was very mediocre for a new-gen racing game. The 2016 edition was better and more like it and made me wish I had never bought the previous one.
  • Avatar for Captain-Oppositional #29 Captain-Oppositional 2 months ago
    It's not a game, but does the PowerGlove count?

If not, I'd say my choice comes down to Tiny Toon Adventures for NES or Lords of the Realm III for PC.

Tiny Toon Adventures was marketed very well, and I was convinced I wanted it. Unfortunately, it was simply a serviceable Super Mario Bros. 3 clone. There was nothing truly special about it, and in a world that already has SMB3, that isn't acceptable.

Lords of the Realm III was an impulse buy when I was in undergrad. I saw it in the store and immediately picked it up. I had loved Lords of the Realm II years before; in fact, I'd still probably call it one of my favorite games. Part III had none of the charm or depth that made its predecessor special. It was clearly only so titled to cash in on nostalgia. I should have figured that out from its budget price.
    These were supposed to be the first games you ever returned, right? I'm just sayin', these are pretty recent games you've listed!

I can think of an entire system which I would have liked to return... the ColecoVision. Picture this... it's 1992. You're still in your teens, and you're just getting into retro gaming, because it's a good way to catch up with all the stuff you missed when you were growing up. All the game magazines and newsletters you've been reading tell you that the ColecoVision version of Donkey Kong was nearly arcade perfect, so you eagerly buy the system at a yard sale and race home to play it. You plug in that huge power brick and screw the RF modulator into the back of your television, only to be rewarded with this:

I'm sorry, in what dimension is this slop an "arcade perfect conversion?" There are no intermissions, no cement factory, no vivid colors, and no oppressive swarms of barrels raining down on Mario. Maybe my standards were too high, but after all the hype, I expected better than THIS. That experience soured me on the ColecoVision forever, making me think of it as the game system that promises filet mignon and delivers dog food.
    @SuperShinobi Ninja Combat is an amusing beat 'em up, but only if you're dropping a handful of quarters into the arcade game. There would be nothing amusing about paying two hundred dollars (in 1992 money!) to take it home.
    @Captain-Oppositional I can beat that. I got a U-Force for Christmas! A U-Force! It was like a (barely) motion sensitive laptop of sadness.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #33 Tetragrammaton 2 months ago
    Hoshigami Ruining Blue Earth will always stick with me. I have played bad games. I have play complex games. I had never never played games that were utterly impenetrable like Hoshigami. Sadly I'd opened the packaging so no refund for me.
    Legend of Dragoon.
    Looked like a cool Final Fantasy styled JRPG back in the day but with fun new active ways to battle! But boy you know what after a few random encounters that mash X at just the right moment gets REALLY old. Idk man, loved Mario RPG but that active button thing in Legend of Dragoon was a god dang chore.

Didn't even make it to the second disc before I traded it in for something else.

also I had always wanted to play Legend of Legaia, never got around to it. If it's inspired by The Mist color me intrigued... I'm a sucker for spooky fog monsters.Edited September 2017 by camchow
  • Avatar for davidwurzel94 #35 davidwurzel94 2 months ago
    I was about nine, going on ten years old at the time of Batman Forever's release in theatres and was simply obsessed with it - just wouldn't shut the hell up about it. The convergence of Batman, cinema and Jim Carrey was simply too much for a kid in the mid 90's to take, I guess.

It's a glorious thing to be a kid without taste, adoring terrible things.

Once I saw an errant screenshot of a Batman Forever video game in the Pak Watch section of an issue of Nintendo Power, it was all over. I managed to convince my Dad to not only buy a copy , but pre-order one.

Keep in mind, this is 1995. To give some perspective, the Software Etc. that I frequented had a single computer system running DOS that could barely handle basic point-of-sale functionality. Pre-orders? Yeah, those were handled in a massive, jacked-up three ring binder where they had print-outs of all upcoming games and simply had you sign your name (after paying the pre-order deposit, of course) on one of the lines below the game's title, screen shot and basic info. You would then have to bring the receipt generated from your pre-order deposit transaction on launch day and have the clerk match it with the signature you left in The Great Tome of Pre-Orderus.

It was a really archaic practice that only made sense for either imported software or games for the exorbitantly priced niche hardware that nobody was really buying in 1995 (3D0, CDi, Neo-Geo).

However, I was somehow so convinced that this game would be so mind-blowingly popular that no chances could be taken in its procural...a pre-order was seemingly absolutely necessary.

And then I finally got the game.

Even at the precious age of not-quite-ten, I immediately understood that the game was absolute trash. There's a bit right at the beginning in which you can't progress unless you press a baffling combination to simply jump down to the platform below you. I never did figure out how to do it and never progressed past the first level.

Needless to say, I returned it within a week of getting it, much to the intense annoyance of my Dad, who had to spend a whole summer hearing about how this game would turn water into wine.

So much anticipation for what is still one of the worst retail games I've ever played. If nothing else, it taught me a hard, early lesson in the value of waiting for reviews.Edited 3 times. Last edited September 2017 by davidwurzel94
  • Avatar for Captain-Gonru #36 Captain-Gonru 2 months ago
    @ArugulaZ While I'm with you on the lack of "perfect arcade conversion", I enjoyed the system overall. Venture and Zaxxon still get played to this day in my house.
    And if you thought that Donkey Kong looked bad, check out the Atari 2600 version sometime. Yikes.
  • Avatar for matthewjohnson31 #37 matthewjohnson31 2 months ago
    Suikoden 4 is my go-to answer for all these "which game is a real piece of crap?" questions, but if we're talking first, then the answer is probably Xenogears. I was ambivalent about the game anyway, and then I got to disc two....

(This is also taking into account only games I actually paid for. Otherwise the answer is the original Ninja Turtles game for the NES.)Edited September 2017 by matthewjohnson31
  • Avatar for matthewjohnson31 #38 matthewjohnson31 2 months ago
    @camchow I hate timed hits, so much that their inclusion in Mother 3 has kept me away from that game even though I know I should play it. They're a gimmick for designers who don't actually know how to make RPG combat interesting,, and I'm glad they've seemingly gone the way of the dodo.
    Probably "Bugs Bunny: Rabbit Rampage" on the SNES. I've owned worse games before and since, but that one stood out as it was my own money, not some birthday gift. Gorgeous Sunsoft graphics that had me fooled, but awful controls and just not fun. Was weighting that one against TMNT: Tournament Fighters

GunGrave on the PS2 was another one. Thought it would be like Devil May Cry, but instead it was a shoddy low budget shooter.
    Silent Hill Shattered Memories. I had skipped Origins and Homecoming because I had heard how bad they were, but I was actually excited for this game. I had been reading articles about the developers' plan to do something different and interesting with the series, and I was excited. And then I bought it, and actually tried playing it... and was shocked at how poorly executed all of their ideas were. Easily the most disappointed I've ever been with a game.
    To me it would be Fatal Labyrinth for the SEGA Genesis... It was moderately well spoken at the time, with its procedurally generated levels and stuff... But I think that was what got me off of the game; I'm more of a fan of handcrafted levels, as I'm a huge fun of action adventure games in the "Metroidvania" vein.

I have to admit that this was a looong time ago, and I like procedurally generated content better now, but the community question was the first time I wished I could return a game after all :-)

PS: The 7th Guest for PC would be a close second

PPS: I didn't buy these games actually, but I influenced my father's purchase decision ^_^Edited 2 times. Last edited September 2017 by Brotoles
    It's heresy now but the first game I ever returned was Final Fantasy Legend II for my Gameboy Color. Limited-use weapons bothered me at some fundamental level. I exchanged it for Final Fantasy Legend III.

Now that we're in the digital era though, my PC games are unreturnable and can be changed due to updates. This was the case for Civilization: Beyond Earth, which added in an information-collecting system in its first patch that required a second EULA agreement to be agreed to. So while I could not return it, I never got to play it again.
  • Avatar for LunarFlame17 #43 LunarFlame17 2 months ago
    The original Half-Life. I played the PS2 port, and hated it so bad that I assumed it must have been a bad port. A few years later I played the PC version, and realized the PS2 version was actually a good port of a terrible game.
    @davidwurzel94 This game was Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero before that game even existed. Both Acclaim and Midway tried to squeeze the gameplay of MK into the framework of a side-scrolling action-adventure, with decidedly lackluster results.
    Most of the PC games I got for our 486 dx (33 Mhz) back in the day were cracked copies; Dune 2, Civilization, Monkey Island, UFO, and some more too. At some point, I wanted to own an actual game, box and all, and saved up a lot of money to buy a game. Finally down at the store, I saw a Mario game I'd never heard of before: Mario is Missing. And, being a Nintendo kid at heart, I bought that one. Back home, I found that it was an endless, boring slog of an edutainment game, in which Luigi (I think) couldn't jump, run or anything, and was controlled with the mouse! I played two cities, which took forever, and never returned.

Either that or Bayou Billy, whichever I bought first...
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #46 Funny_Colour_Blue 2 months ago
    @davidwurzel94 +1

I can relate to this, I was one of the many who rented Batman Forever when it first came out - I thought it was really interesting from a gameplay perspective, how Batman Forever attempted to combine the digitized actors and fighting game mechanics of Mortal Kombat, with an action platformer.

With a bit more time, I think it could've turned out to be a really interesting game, as many action platforming games of the late 90s attempted to implement button-move-combinations into their games. Games such as Spawn for the SNES, Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero and even and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

But alas, history had a different story.

P.S. …I only got as far the circus level. I didn't even get to see Jim Carrey! It was bullshit!
  • Avatar for Monkey-Tamer #47 Monkey-Tamer 2 months ago
    Friday the 13th for NES. Because I was a kid and the game scared the shit out of me too much to play it.
  • Avatar for mouse-clicker #48 mouse-clicker 2 months ago
    The first was Dino Crisis for the Dreamcast. I had just gotten a Dreamcast for Christmas and wanted to get some games for it. I got it fairly inexpensively when Dreamcast games were being cleared out, along with stuff like Soul Reaver, Jet Grind Radio, and Grandia II. I thought I'd like it because I like dinosaurs, but it was so clunky and unenjoyable that I returned it almost immediately.

But the one that stung the most was Rebel Assault for the Gamecube. Rogue Squadron and Rogue Leader were both so good, and I'm a massive Star Wars fan. So I expected Rebel Assault to be the cream of the crop! And it was a massive, nearly unplayable turd. The flying missions were fun, but the on-foot missions were some of the worst sequences I've ever played in a video game. Just utter trash. I returned it out of disgust very quickly.Edited September 2017 by mouse-clicker
  • Avatar for mouse-clicker #49 mouse-clicker 2 months ago
    @Godots17thCup I rented Quest 64 thinking it looked like a ton of fun, and couldn't stand it. It was technically my first turn-based RPG, too, so it put me off of the whole genre for years.
    @ArugulaZ You were experiencing Donkey Kong/the Coloecovision with a decade of advancements in the rear view mirror. But at the time of release in 1982 - it was amazing.

Up to that point we had the Atari 2600 and the Intellivision - both firmly based on mid-70s tech. Any arcade game released after 1980 or so required major compromises when ported to those platforms. Look at the versions of Donkey Kong for either one - they're laughably poor. While standards were much lower back then, even at the time I knew the 2600 version was lame. Yellow pizzas that rolled down perfectly horizontal girders, only two levels, and ear-grating sound effects. But it was all we had access to.

But the Colecovision version of DK was worlds better. It was far, FAR more faithful to the arcade original than any other version that was available at the time. Donkey Kong wasn't a monochrome, amorphous blob. The sound effects actually resembled those of the arcade game. It was plainly obvious what it was at first glance, whereas the 2600 and Intellivision versions could have easily been mistaken for third-rate clones if you didn't know any better.

Was it arcade perfect? In retrospect, no, obviously. But at the time it brought the "arcade experience" home in a way that had never been done before.Edited September 2017 by Lane
    I paid $5 for LA Noire and if I paid a lot more I would've returned it. Still had fun tho.
  • Avatar for JohnnyThunders #52 JohnnyThunders 2 months ago
    The year is 1982, the game is the Atari 2600 version of Pacman - at last the arcade game playable at home! $150 New Zealand dollars later I get it home and you know the rest... (worked out the inflation adjusted value of NZ$150 in todays money - you can get a Nintendo Switch for that same wad of cash now)
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #53 WiIIyTheAntelope 2 months ago
    @ArugulaZ Funny story about the first Donkey Kong ports. Coleco did the ports for the other machines of the day too (ie, 2600, intellivision.) And they purposely made them god awful just to push people towards buying a Colecovision as it was the only one that even remotely looked like the arcade game.

Publishers doing shady things is a time honored tradition in gaming.
    Mine is VECTRON for Intellivision, circa 1983. My parents left me alone for one of the first times, so I promptly got on my bike and rode to the department store, and wasted thirty bucks on this abstract turd of a game. It was intended as Mattel's answer to Tempest, and had a few graphical flourishes, but the gameplay was obtuse and about as fun as a toothache. I never told anyone how I got the game or how much I payed until just now. Regrets!
    @Roto13 I was late to Tales of Symphonia and came to it when I'd come to recognize and had grown less tolerant of shonen anime stereotypes and cookie cutter fantasy anime art styles. I did not stick with it for long.

But mainly though I'm just not a fan of the battle system. Star Ocean (the first two at least) was more my poison when it came to anime RPGs with semi real-time combat, and that's mainly 'cuz the games played up the sci-fi lie (Guess who's going to the Mediaeval Planet again?) and had a ton of different skill and crafting systems,* recruitable characters, and ending variations.

Integrity & Faithlessness was heartbreaking. =(

* This was back when crafting systems were fresh and new and not in every other game, of course.
    @camchow The gameplay's the biggest problem obviously, but certainly not helping matters any is that it came out within range of Chrono Cross, a game that while not a great Chrono Trigger sequel, still has some of the best art direction and music on the PlayStation. Legend of Dragoon has box people that look worse than Final Fantasy VII's despite having more textures and a soundtrack that's mainly a snoozefest.
  • Avatar for NotCarolKaye #57 NotCarolKaye 2 months ago
    Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition

It's crap. High octane crap.
    Robocop 3 for the SNES, aka the game that taught me that most licensed games tend to be Crap with a capital letter. I honestly don’t remember why we never returned it in spite of it being a terrible, terrible game. I suppose it’s because it was bought as a prize from my father for doing well at school, so asking him to return it would have been very petulant on my part.

More recently, the one example that comes to mind is the Hitman HD Trilogy on PS3. I never played the Hitman games during the PS2/GCN/Xbox era, but I was aware of their reputation as great stealth games. So, once I saw the trilogy was on sale on the PSN I decided to buy it. I then started Hitman 2: Silent Assassin and… well, for some reason that I still can’t put the finger on, it just didn’t click with me. I was so bored that I effectively stopped playing it at the 5th level, and given that I imagined the other two games to be more of the same, I didn’t bother even trying them. Given it was a digital purchase, I also couldn’t ask for a refund, so they stay there in my download history, forgotten and unloved.
    @Neifirst that was the first one I thought of as well! But back then returns were easy, so back it went. Man the disappointment of starting that up for the first and last time..
    @Flipsider99 I love hearing such differing opinions. I've not revisited Shattered Memories, but I absolutely loved it when I played it
    @VotesForCows or you could just stop being a smart ass and compare the wide gap between user reviews and reviews by publications.
  • Avatar for SnakeEyes097 #62 SnakeEyes097 2 months ago
    Mortal Kombat Trilogy for PS1. It had such long, long, loooooooong load times it was unbelievable
    Final Fantasy XIII. The worst. Broke my heart.
    Only good thing that came out of it was it made me finally look to handhelds. I'm an 80% jrpg gamer, and little did I know that the stuff I'd been playing, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Enchanted Arms, etc. were all utter trash in comparison to the titles that were coming out on the PSP and DS. Never looked back to consoles since.
    Popeye on the NES. Though I actually did return it, because store return policies were very lenient at that time.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #65 VotesForCows 2 months ago
    @chilon Sorry if I came across as rude - not intended. Was a genuine question, I just think it's interesting when people think something is over rated, and why. Cos I'm always open to criticism of stuff I like.
    I checked review scores out of interest and they're almost identical on metacritic. Largely positive on steam too. That doesn't mean it's not over rated though.
    Anyway, no offence meant.
    Dead or Alive Xtreme 2
    I think it's interesting that Nadia chose Legend of Legaia. I remember buying that game after becoming obsessed with RPGs and thinking it looked pretty cool. Went home and played it for probably six or seven hours, and then promptly gave up on it. I have nothing against the game really, and I'm not sure I would say I wish I'd returned it (the only game I ever actually returned was Decap Attack because I got a defective copy), but it's a game I have never bothered to revisit. Maybe I will now, though.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #68 donkeyintheforest 2 months ago
    beyond good and evil - not because it was a horrible game, it was fine, but i beat it in like a day and a half. the water was gorgeous in that game, but I hated the pig man. jokes on gamestop though cause i did return it and got splinter cell. way better game.

the first (and only game) i kept too long to return and regretted it was LA noir. High five Matt!
    Star Wars Battlefront, though it's not the game's fault. I got it with my PS4. Unfortunately my PS4 has never worked right with my cable modem, and only seems to connect reliably in sleep mode. Battlefront is essentially unplayable since my PS4 constantly drops connection.
    I don't think I've ever regretted buying a game so much that I wished I hadn't. Though Legend of Legaia comes close. I am so happy Nadia listed that game, because I hate it with a burning passion but everyone I know who's ever heard of it thinks it's good.

I probably should regret buying Xenogears, since I put dozens of hours on multiple failed attempts to understand what the fuss was about. But if I hadn't played it, I'd probably still want to, so at least I avoided that.
    @donkeyintheforest Wow. You are my opposite. I adored Beyond Good and Evil but instantly regretted buying Splinter Cell with its clunky controls and aggressively dull story, characters and setting.
    I'm struggling but nothing is popping into my head that was so bad I wanted to return it - we rented a lot of games, and the less-than-stellar things I've gotten over the years were largely either given to me or came with things I did want.

Closest estimation: Space Raiders for Gamecube. Kinda fun, but not really all that great. Space Invaders Extreme had a much better take on that concept just a couple years later.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #73 donkeyintheforest 2 months ago
    @captainN2 haha well to each one's own. i still think the ability to attach the gba to the gamecube for splinter cell to use as an extra screen was cool! i wouldn't call the controls clunky at all, but the character were super dull. i thought the game play was pretty great though. i dont remember any of the gameplay of beyond good and evil other than driving the hovercraft around and that was a pretty minor part.

edit: you know, it might have been splinter cell chaos theory. i remember it was really fun though. also the ps2 version with asymmetrical multiplayer was awesome.Edited September 2017 by donkeyintheforest
    Spider-Man and the X-Men for SNES. I would have never admitted it at the time though. When my Genesis owning friend got X-Men he would come over and put in Spider-Man and the X-Men just to laugh at how bad it looked in comparison. I was so jealous.

But now that I have actually played the Genesis game, I know secretly he was suffering in silence, so I feel a little vindication.
    The Uncanny X-Men for the NES.

If you didn't play 2 player, it had (mostly terrible) AI that controlled the second character. Had to give the AI the garbage characters that couldn't fly or shoot projectiles and let them kill themselves, then you could have a chance to complete a level or two.

I didn't return it, but I should have.
    Tiger-Heli on the NES. Busted my ass delivering papers to save for a game and needed to leave my local toy store with a game or I would die!!!! Tiger-Heli was a good arcade shoot 'me up but after playing Metroid and Kid Icarus I wanted something deeper than the continuous gameplay loop arcade ports offered

Comments