USgamer Community Question: What's Your Least Favorite Boss Fight Ever?

How many boss fights have you endured? Hundreds? Thousands? Well, we'd like you to think about them, and tell us which one pissed you off the most, and why.

Analysis by USgamer Team, .

We've all been there: Facing an end-of-level, or perhaps even end-of-game boss that seems to counter your every move.

No matter what you do, even when you know what you're supposed to do, you just can't seem to avoid getting fatally hit, smashed, roasted, eaten, electrocuted, or hurled to your death. Sure, you eventually prevailed, but not before having to seriously restrain yourself from smashing your joypad into dust.

That's the question we're pondering this week as we single out that one boss monster that caused us more aggravation and annoyance than any other.

Jeremy Parish Editor-in-Chief

Boss: Liquid Ocelot

Game: Metal Gear Solid 4

Man, what a piece of garbage this was. After I'd followed the Metal Gear saga for nearly 20 years, the whole grand epic resolves itself like this? The final faceoff of the Metal Gear timeline was so terrible that it actually tainted all the great things that had come before by mere association.

Let's walk you through it. After working his way through impossibly baroque plot machinations, Solid Snake finally goes up against his clone-dad's long-time admirer/rival/ally, Revolver Ocelot, who's pretending to be possessed by the spirit of Snake's clone-brother in order to fool a cartel of military Illuminating. OK, whatever, fine. But all of this culminates in a crappy fist fight that casts aside all the play mechanics that have defined Metal Gear Solid 4 — shooting, sneaking, etc. — in favor of a QTE-driven brawler. It's a self-referential wankfest nodding back to the previous chapters of the series, especially the fistfight against Liquid Snake atop the ruins of Metal Gear Rex in the original Metal Gear Solid, and it's terrible.

To properly understand the disappointment inherent in this fight, though, you really need to have played through the previous Metal Gears. They also ended with one-on-one battles, but each one improved on the last. Metal Gear Solid 3's in particular was a masterpiece of game design, pitting Snake's father against his mentor The Boss in a test of stealth and close-quarter combat expertise that made use of the game's core mechanics in a brilliant fashion. For the first time in the series, the obligatory showdown at the end of MGS3 felt like an extension of the game that had played out before it rather than a bit of an unrelated game awkwardly grafted on. MGS4's final conflict, on the other hand, threw that progress out the window. In trying to pay tribute to its past, it ultimately just felt like a step backward. I sincerely doubt I will ever play MGS4 again, just because I know what's waiting for me at the end. And honestly, I'm kind of dreading whatever awaits at the end of Metal Gear Solid V, because the odds are in favor of it being pretty wretched as well.

Jaz Rignall Editor-at-Large

Boss: London Monitor

Game: Wolfenstein: The New Order

It's not that this Wolfenstein: The New Order sub-boss is particularly hard. I just made it needlessly so by being a moron.

It all went down when I was reviewing the game. I'd started early in the evening with the intention of blitzing my way through the game in one marathon sitting. I was making good headway, when sometime in the early morning the following day I reached the London Monitor and set about figuring out how to down it. Because my wireless headphones weren't working and my girlfriend was asleep in the other room, I had the TV completely turned down and was playing in silence.

The lack of sound hadn't caused me any problems so far, so I didn't even consider it as started to figure out which pieces of the giant Nazi robot I needed to destroy in what order. I thought I'd figured everything out, but then I got stuck. No matter what I did, I couldn't finish off the stupid London Monitor. I ran around for about 20 minutes experimenting with shooting different parts of it at different times. I tried different weapons too, but no matter what I did, it just stomped about, shooting at me.

Of course, I couldn't Google it, because the game wasn't out yet, so I just hammered away, not really thinking very logically, because it was so early in the morning. I ended up getting into that sort of belligerent, pissed off, determined, I will not be beaten, **** YOU mode that you sometimes get into when you're looking for a place and won't stop to ask for directions. You're just going to drive through it and find the place. Because it's around here somewhere. That was me with the robot. I'm going to figure it out. The solution's around here somewhere.

After about an hour and fifteen minutes - and this is with me only dying a couple of times - I was finally ready to give up. But then I had the bright idea of turning up the sound a bit. So I crouched right next to the TV, and as I ran through yet another cycle of the robot's behavior pattern, I heard a near-inaudible voice tell me to run right underneath it and shoot the engine when it opened up.

I'd actually tried that earlier, but hadn't quite gotten it right. But with the correct instructions, I finished it off in about 15 seconds. I felt like such a tool.

I felt like an even bigger tool when I rememerbed later that the game has subtitles.

Mike Williams Associate Editor

Boss: Omega Rugal

Game: King of Fighters '95, King of Fighters '98, King of Fighters 2002

There is a darkness in some fighting game bosses, but SNK has created some absolute monsters in particular. Goenitz, Orochi, Igniz, Mukai, Magaki, and Geese are all evil, evil creations. I have no idea how the developers at SNK Playmore slept well at night throwing these folks out at players. But one of the earliest monsters to ruin my runs at King of Fighters' arcade modes was Omega Rugal. O. Rugal was one of the first bosses SNK created with a focus on simply being impossible to defeat.

Rugal operates on a different ruleset than the player. Rugal can throw fireballs from past bosses like Geese Howard and Wolfgang Krauser all, every day. If you try to jump in, he'll punish you with his vicious kick attack, Genocide Cutter. His Dead-End Screamer involves breaking his opponent's neck and then crushing them. Every single move has insanely high priority over whatever you're going to throw at it. And he does a metric-ton of damage if he hits with any of them; if you get hit with the full three hits of Genocide Cutter, your life bar jumps from full to almost gone. And that's before you get to any one of his Super Moves, the aptly-named Destruction Omega, Kaiser Phoenix, and Gigantic Pressure.

This is all backed up with A.I. that seemingly reads your moves before you can finish performing them. How do you beat and all-powerful god that can see your moves before you make them? Cheating. The best way to crush Omega Rugal was by exploiting the A.I. and cheesing your way to victory. Exploiting his ability to do moves at the drop of a hat and punishing him appropriately.

Omega Rugal and his cohorts are so hard that fans created a name for it: SNK Boss Syndrome. Bosses who cheat and break the rules so hard that you'll want to throw your controller in frustration. Any one of them is an exercise in tears.

Kat Bailey Senior Editor

Boss: The Human-Reaper Hybrid

Game: Mass Effect 2

(Warning: Three-year-old spoilers ahead) Mass Effect 2 is a great ride from start to finish, culminating in probably the single best moment of the entire trilogy: the suicide mission. Playing through it the first time, it's an incredibly tense battle in which you make decision after decision under duress, with the lives of your teammates all on your line. It's a great finale... and then the final boss happens.

After much suspense, it turns out that the Collectors—the game's primary antagonists—are out to build a new Reaper using human genetic material. The practical result is a Human-Reaper hybrid that looks like either a Terminator Endoskeleton or a boss from Contra. Or both! What follows is an exceptionally gamey final battle in which you leap from platform to platform and fire at the hybrids glowing weak points while fending off attacking Collectors. And... that's it.

The Human-Reaper Hybrid embodies a lot of what I hate to see in boss design. I love a good one-on-one duel, or a truly unique encounter like the battle with The End in Metal Gear Solid 3. I don't particularly like boss battles with glowing weak points and waves of mooks because it feels like lazy design to me. And I especially don't like it when such an encounter comprises the final battle.

I don't want to say that the Human-Reaper Hybrid ruins Mass Effect 2, because it's still a great game regardless (putting aside its emphasis on being a shooter rather than being an RPG). But when I look at that final boss, I almost feel like BioWare ran out of money and had to pull the plug early. Of course, Mass Effect 3 is still the king of disappointing endings. But that's a discussion for another time.

Bob Mackey Senior Writer

Boss: Maneater

Game: Demon's Souls

While the Souls series is known for its punishing nature, it's actually grown a lot more user-friendly over the years. Take Demon's Souls, for instance: Some parts are legitimately hard, while others just feel cheap. I get the sense FromSoftware gradually learned the difference between these two qualities over time, because Demon's Souls contains a few stretches I dread whenever it's time to run through the game again. But no single moment in Demon's Souls hurts more than level 3-2's Maneater.

This boss encounter contains a "gotcha" moment the Souls series would eventually reuse multiple times, but in Demon's Souls, it was a brand-new nightmare. Even before Demon's pulls the rug out from under you, 3-2's boss makes for a tough fight: You're trapped on a narrow walkway, pitted against a massive, gargoyle-like creature who can fly, and perform several attacks intended to knock you off the ledge, into oblivion. Should you manage to successfully take on this creature and reduce his life by half, you're greeted by a second Maneater, who flies into the area with and greets you with all of his hit points intact.

Admittedly, a lot of the challenge stems from overcoming the stress of this situation: The Maneaters telegraph their attacks well in advance, and are easy enough to avoid, but you have to contend with two of them at once, all while keeping your footing on a narrow walkway. On mostly every playthrough of Demon's Souls, I usually lose all hope on the Maneaters, and I still haven't figured out a successful way to keep my cool while fighting them until around my 20th attempt. I've never resorted to the cheap way to beat these bosses—out of some misguided attempt to preserve my "honor"—but next time, I just might. Shooting arrows at the boss before the fight even begins might be the coward's way out, but at this point, I think I've earned it.

Demon Wall in FF4. Huge difficulty spike out of nowhere and just in general a miserable fight.
    Deleted August 2014 by pdubb
    @pdubb And yet, not as bad as Atomos in Final Fantasy V.
    @pdubb Ouch, I always dread that one. You never get time to stop and think.
    @bobservo I actually really like Maneater, but I can see where you're coming from. I'm addicted to the atmosphere of DeS above all and every area of Tower of Latria takes my breath away. Whatever THAT is, the Souls series needs to rediscover it.

My least favorite boss in a videogame is Bed of Chaos. There's a huge psychological roadblock I have in my mind that makes me want to quit playing every time I reach her!
    That boss in Kefka's Tower in Final Fantasy VI because it casts Ultima when you kill it, so unless you have Life 3 ready (which you probably don't if you don't know it's coming), you get a game over for winning.

All of the bosses in Batman Arkham Asylum because they're all surrounded by generic grunts. Those aren't interesting. They're basically just clutter. These bosses aren't good enough to stand on their own so they just end up being particularly powerful enemies in a sea of generic enemies. It doesn't help that Arkham's combat is boring anyway. Some of Arkham City's bosses are better (especially Mr. Freeze), but they're still not great. The two I played in Arkham Origins before losing interest actually weren't too bad.

He Who Dwells in InFamous: Second Son would be ok if he had like half as much health as he actually does. The actual process of fighting him isn't particularly unpleasant and moving around the arena is pretty cool because it's a unique setting (within InFamous, anyway), but he has SOOOOOO much health and it takes forever to whittle it down. Just glacing at some of the playthroughs on YouTube, it takes some people 15 minutes or more to take him down. (They probably don't realize you're supposed to destroy the angels that appear when he "breaks apart" though.)Edited August 2014 by Roto13
    Dragon Quest final bosses tend to be a real slog. Like, so long you have to take a bathroom break in the middle battles of attrition. Followed by endings that are equally long.

The bosses in Last Story get points for trying to be interesting and not your standard Fight-Fire-Cure loop. Each one has some kind of hook you need to use to defeat the boss.

Unfortunately, in practice, they end up being really fiddly and unsatisfying.

Oh, and any boss where it's possible to go in with a party that can't defeat it. The second triceratops boss fight in Chrono Trigger comes to mind (need to hit it with lightning before it becomes vulnerable, but it's possible not only to have a party with no lightning users in it when you get there, it's possible to have neither of the two lightning users even available at this point in the game).
    Hmm, I never really liked boss fights so much; it always seemed like an impediment to moving forward with the parts I liked - usually exploration, story, stealth, etc. They are one of the main things that says to me, "oh yeah, we just remembered, this is a video game, so here is a boss. Now fight." My favorite exceptions are when you feel empathy for the boss. Like Shadow of the Colossus, The Boss in MGS3. I think the first to have an emotional effect on me was Neifirst in Phantasy Star 2.

There was a boss in Silent Hill 4 who chased you around with guns; that basically pulled me out of the creepy horror experience, and the difficulty of trying to figure out what to do while being shot at made me give up on the game. The end bosses in Uncharted also felt kinda pointless and gamey. And yeah, the human reaper is just so goddamned dumb and uncreative - not just in terms of game mechanics but also in terms of the narrative. It really undermined the powerful, alien feeling of the reapers and made them seem more like some B-horror plot device.

Possibly my least favorite was when Harle in Chrono Cross decides to go from being a party member to a big dragon thing, and you have to kill her just like she was any other monster. It was like tossing her to the sarlacc pit.
    This is a hard choice. However, Miang's Opiomorph form in Xenogears bubbles to the top. I don't remember the specifics, but I vividly recall the dread of fighting her and what it took to defeat her. The music probably added to it, as there is much to be said for boss fights using nontraditional music.

Here is a link if you're interested.
  • Avatar for TheDarkKnight9113 #9 TheDarkKnight9113 3 years ago
    Any Titan fight in Castlevania Lords of Shadow
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #10 VotesForCows 3 years ago
    @jeremy.parish Sad to hear that fight spoiled MGS4 for you. It is a bit anticlimactic, but fun in its own way, even on the harder settings. That series certainly peaked with The Boss in Snake Eater though.

For me, it's a toss up between Seth in vanilla SF4, and the bit in God of War where you have to fend off a load of duplicate Kratos. The latter eventually made me restart the whole game on a lower setting!
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #11 VotesForCows 3 years ago
    @bobservo I fear the Maneaters too, and have never figured out a reliable way to beat them with my usual melee build. Still, I love them, because each time I'm reminded of that horrendous first moment when I realised I had to fight two of them.
    Bed of Chaos in Dark Souls
    I don't use hint guides when playing games. This boss violates the core rule of Dark Souls in my mind: pay attention to your surroundings and you will advance. I fought him initially by stepping on his dias, and his huge hand came down and killed my character. Lesson learned; don't step on the dias. I took out his left orb, and his right orb. Then I tried to maneuver behind him, by jumping on small platforms. I probably died 30+ times before looking up how to beat him on a guide...I was desperate. The solution: The dias that you were taught to not to step on earlier, you can now step on. You try the same thing and get different results. Its literally the definition of insanity. He turned my play of Dark Souls from Game I loved to game that I hated. To this day, Dark Souls remains my least favorite of the souls series. Bed of Chaos is the primary reason why.

Crash Bomb Boss Megaman 2
    Oh did you miss with a crash bomb or destroy a wall you weren't supposed to? Please replay Wily's Castle.
    Barrett from Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

"Can't we talk this over? I'm not specced for this."

It's not the difficulty but the sudden and jarring reversal in player agency.
  • Avatar for SigurdVolsung #14 SigurdVolsung 3 years ago
    I love extremely difficult boss fights, so a lot of the ones that are listed are ones that I actually enjoy. The only boss fights that stick out to me as ones that I don't like are ones that are impossible because you have to lose them for a story purpose. I am fine with the story part, just not being given control over a situation that is unwinnable. Just show it to me but don't make me think I can alter it.
    Garrosh. Fuck that fight. My guild isn't casual, but is far from hardcore, and our wipes were in the triple digits before we killed him. Ridiculously more difficult than every fight that came before him.

In MoP's first raid tier, it was really frustrating that the final bosses weren't the most difficult. Elegon was like a brick wall, but everything after him was like butter.

Edit: Oh. Also, Smaugh and Ornstein made me give up on Dark Souls.Edited August 2014 by limbeckd
    @Vinheimer +1 for Bed of Chaos mention. That boss considerably subtracted from my enjoyment of Dark Souls.Edited August 2014 by Voncaster
    I think the Cloud of Darkness in Final Fantasy III is my one of my worst boss experiences. The whole Crystal Palace...and then I died. Multiple times. But I was not going to quit.
    I finally did it.
    Of course...there are also a lot of fights in Baiten Kaitos that were tough just because you couldn't draw good enough cards.
    @limbeckd I'm with you on that one.

That Garrosh BS brought the very worst out in our guild due to the huge amount of collective frustration it caused. We're dedicated non-hardcore like you, and we've done everything from Molten Core 40-man to date. But that's the first time it felt like we ran straight into a brick wall.

Elegon was BS, but we got lucky one night after two or three evenings of not getting past him. We then pushed all the way to the end that week. The we wiped on him like 30x before getting past him again.
    Narmer from Etrian Odyssey III. I realize he's not even close to the hardest boss in the EO series but he made me feel so much pain and self-loathing early on in my adventure through the strata. Damn that fish to hell.
    Pretty much all the bosses from Devil May Cry 2. it’s not that they are truly difficult to fight, it’s that their design is incredibly mediocre and lazy. They are just not as challenging or as creative compared to the bosses from the previous game or the sequel. Even Phamton, the boss that comes from the original game, was downgraded.

The SNK bosses (Geese, Rugal, Igniz, Goenitz, Krizalid) certainly deserve mention. They are not fun or challenging to fight, they are just infuriatingly cheap, requiring you to cheat in order to defeat them rather than to fight skillfully.

As someone mentioned above, the MagiMaster in the Tower of the Magi from FFVI is frustrating with his final act of spite. But I personally found Wrexsoul more aggravating. Sure, you can kill it instantly with X-Zone but if you don’t have the spell or want to receive the items from the fight, you have to engage in a rather tedious puzzle battle that requires you to kill and revive your party members.
  • Avatar for The-Red-Drifter #21 The-Red-Drifter 3 years ago
    My choice is any boss that completely violates the main rules previously established in the game just to get cheap wins. It's just so frustrating having the AI flagrantly cheat like that, and then lose because of it.

A perfect example is Azazel, from Tekken 6. He's not even the hardest boss in the series, but the guy attacks while blocking. As in, he takes no damage and isn't interrupted, and you get to take some dumb hit to the face. It breaks not only a basic rule of Tekken, but one of fighting games in general.
    Moldorm from Link To The Past.

The platform he's on has no walls. When he hits you near the edge you get knocked down a floor. You can climb back up to face him again, but the battle starts from scratch. It's functionally as though he has a 1-hit-kill move and you have a checkpoint one the floor below. Just worse; his health resets, your's doesn't.Edited August 2014 by forloop
    My choice, while perhaps not entirely original, would have to be that Barrett asshole from Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Up until that point, I had choice! Glorious choice! However, being highly proficient in sneaking and only carrying a tranquilizer rifle, a 10mm pistol (for distractions, of course), and some protein bars does NOT bode well for a boss fight with a dude with a machine-gun arm. Were it not for those grenades I had been stockpiling in my inventory, I probably would've had to restart that segment. I'm looking forward to eventually playing the Director's Cut, but for now I'm taking a break from my no-kill, all-stealth run.
  • Avatar for christopherhughes97 #24 christopherhughes97 3 years ago
    Mem Aleph in SMT: Strange Journey was pretty frustrating. My final completion time for SJ was 120 hours and the last 30 of that was just grinding levels to beat the final boss. It has a full-party instant death move that is for some reason NOT affected by the item in your inventory that specifically saves you from instant deaths.
  • Avatar for AlltheNeSWorldCups #25 AlltheNeSWorldCups 3 years ago
    The Butcher in the original Diablo slightly traumatized me after the way he so effortlessly dispatched my warrior in what felt like 3 quick hits it wasnt till about a year later after id picked up a strategy guide for cheap at the flea market that i was able to take him down
  • Avatar for AlltheNeSWorldCups #26 AlltheNeSWorldCups 3 years ago
    @christopherhughes97 sounds like a SMT game alright.
    That giant lava boss from the first level of Super Star Wars. The way you get pushed off that little platform into the lava is so cheap! Then start all over again! Close second place goes to Maneater from Demon's Souls. I'm stuck there again right now actually. :(
    Edited August 2014 by USDanny
  • Avatar for transmet2033 #28 transmet2033 3 years ago
    Two of the most recent boss fights that I have experienced come to mind.
    Ares from God of War and the Skyview Temple boss in Skyward Sword.
    I don't like Ares because of the shared health bar, and how that fight has the possibility of going on forever because of it.
    I just really hate the motion controls for Skyward Sword and how I finally figure them out, after that boss fight.
  • Avatar for SigurdVolsung #29 SigurdVolsung 3 years ago
    @christopherhughes97 I definitely agree that was a brutal boss. And frankly most SMT games seem to have very brutal bosses at some point. But I love them for that, among many other reasons.
    Two come to mind for me:

1. The final boss of Demon's Crest. I have never managed to defeat him. He fills up the screen and makes it impossible to defeat him without cheat codes or superhuman reflexes. Sometimes it seems like Capcom makes bosses whose abilities sound cool on paper but just don't work out - and playtesters don't even have a chance to try them out. Mega Man 7 was similarly bad, but I managed that one somehow.

2. The stupid egg boss in Black Knight Sword. The game itself is already pretty tough, given that the player's basic actions require timing akin to Castlevania. But then you defeat the chicken boss and are suddenly transported into a SHMUP. After a terribly crafted SHMUP experience, you fight this egg thing that goes through about 12 different firing patterns, which include its releasing some "options" that have their own annoying firing patterns. You navigate this by flying on a chicken and being somewhat unsure of exactly where your hit box is, given the fact that you're on a giant chicken but somehow only the head (head area?) gets hurt. I enjoy the game, but this boss caused me to quit a few times. I took a break from it for several months before finally getting back to it and getting the true ending. All because of this stupid boss battle that you ultimately have to do four times (there's a boss rush toward the end of the game, and the game only ends after you play through on normal and then on hard).
  • Avatar for TotalHenshin #31 TotalHenshin 3 years ago
    As somebody who played Dark Souls before Demon's Souls, the rooftop gargoyles fight was my most frustrating boss fight in recent memory. I didn't have a problem with Bed of Chaos.

On another note, the preamble for this community question seems to differ with the title. The former seems to be asking "most frustrating and/or annoying" boss fight, while the latter is asking "least favorite." Not that these two are mutually exclusive, but it feels like Jeremy responded to the title and Bob responded to the preamble.
    I wanted Bowser to be harder in Mario Galaxy 2.
    Gill, the end boss from Street Fighter 3 is one of the most frustrating opponents in the game. In third strike, if you take down his health while he has a full Super meter, he resurrects himself with full health. What a jerk!
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #34 VotesForCows 3 years ago
    @ZenRain I wondered if someone would mention Monsoon. I quite enjoyed that fight on both my playthroughs (on hard and revengeance). It is a bit of a spike, but the first time through it really made me stop and think about how best to play the game, so from that perspective I have fond memories of it. Totally understand your points though.
    @inkphantom Fighting game bosses are ridiculous in general. See: The SNK Boss trope.
  • Avatar for Spooky-Toast #36 Spooky-Toast 3 years ago
    Love this idea.

Gotta echo that MGS4 final battle. When I first played MGS4 at its launch, I had just finished marathoning the previous entries. Any momentum that had pushed me through the series stopped dead in its tracks as I failed an ambiguous fighting game time and time again. I distinctly remember finishing that battle after an hour of trials at 3am... Only to be followed up with a crazy, 90 minute cinematic. Though I liked the frame of MGS 1's Liquid battle atop Rex, this multi-stage finale shouldn't have felt so punishing.

ATTENTION GAMES: If you are gonna introduce a new mechanic exclusively for a final battle, don't make it punishing. There's no reason to end an experience on a supremely sour note.
    @Kat.Bailey@inkphantom That's why I chose Rugal!
    I'd also like to complain about SNK Boss Syndrome, though my target is Mizuki from Samurai Shodown 2. Hate, hate, hate that woman. I remember spending over an hour on her, and I was using Ukyo, the best character in the game.
    @inkphantom You can actually knock him out of that before he gets all his health back. It's probably easiest to do with a a character that has a fireball, as if you time it correctly Gill will stand up right into the projectile. 3S actually improves things a bit in that Resurrection is dependent on Gill having a full super bar, which he often wastes on his new meteor shower super, a move that really isn't as bad as it looks.
    Boss fight I dislike? Any that prevent me from progressing further in a game because I cannot beat them, especially if it's because the auto save has me on lower than required resources (e.g. Health).
    I really like the final fight in MGS4, actually. The controls are a little awkward, but I still thought it was a fitting end. I liked the fact that the final fight between Ocelot and Snake was just this brutal, unsophisticated beatdown. It felt right thematically.

Worst bosses I can think of? Konstantin Brayko in Alpha Protocol. All the bosses in that game are f***ing ridiculous, but you can figure out a way to cheese them pretty quickly. Brayko is different. He has way too much health, he can easily regenerate it, he has a knife attack that does an absurd amount of damage and is more or less unblockable, and he can only be reliably killed by one highly specific character build. Gallingly, if you do happen to have that build, he poses almost no challenge at all.

I'd second the DXHR bosses as well. Not only are they completely antithetical to the spirit of Deus Ex, they're also just terribly designed boss fights that rely on cheap, hacky tricks. They have too much health, and there's no indication that they're getting weaker until they die. They also have unblockable attacks that are ridiculously hard to avoid even if you're specced for them, and they're trivially easy to kill if you have a certain upgrade.

Come to think of it, the bosses in DXHR and the bosses in AP have a lot of the same problems. The ones in AP have it worse, I think, but both are pretty bad.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Dragon Age games' bosses, all of which are only difficult because they're damage sponges. Bioware bosses tend to have that problem in general, but it was never more pronounced than in the Dragon Age series.
  • Avatar for AlltheNeSWorldCups #41 AlltheNeSWorldCups 3 years ago
    @USDanny i remember those games i have them on vc but originally had them all on snes which reminds me i always thought vader kinda cheated and the emperor was a pain cuz you could fall through the platforms you were on because they were destructible
  • Avatar for AlltheNeSWorldCups #42 AlltheNeSWorldCups 3 years ago
    @Stealth20k yeah i agree i for some reason felt like he was tougher in the 1st game
  • Avatar for presidentcamacho #43 presidentcamacho 3 years ago
    Surprised to see that nobody has mentioned Hiruko from the PS2 Shinobi yet.
    My most frustrating in recent years was the final boss from Puzzle Quest. He was incredibly lucky - but all bosses were in that game. The bigger problem was that although you could grind levels a little before taking on the other bosses, by the time you reach Lord Bane at the end you've most likely hit the level cap of 50. Despite Bane being nominally level 45, 50 just isn't good enough (I hear the cap was raised in later versions). The only way I found to win was to capture a Lich (requiring a nasty special puzzle) then learn its Death Gaze spell (requiring an even nastier special puzzle). That most powerful ability in the game gives you a fighting chance at max level, but you still need to get very lucky and not make any mistakes.

Honorable mention: speaking of SMT, I'm surprised no one mentioned Matador from Nocturne. He's a notorious early-game difficulty spike who hits you before you know what you're doing or have many options in combat. He also requires a lot of luck. Unlike Bane though, he's the most stylish skeleton you'll ever see.Edited 2 times. Last edited August 2014 by hal9k
  • Avatar for koalpastor30 #45 koalpastor30 3 years ago
    Zelda II's Shadow Link is pretty cheap until you cheese him by low slashing at the edge of the screen.
    That Ninja Gaiden 2 boss that throws the spiders from the 3rd or 4th level is also extremely frustrating
    I know it's kinda drawing from a recent well but Wiegraf from FFT. I went through the game again because I was too young to understand frustration back then and it really is RNG-hell. It was a miserable experience resetting and going through the dialogues again and again.

But sans-repetitive frustration... Probably Angra Mainyu from FFX-2. I can't fathom now how my kid brain got through that hour-long battle.

And Yu Yevon from FFX. I never played 7 because I was too young back then so coming from FF8 and 9 I was at least expecting a struggle... Big disappointment. Lulu's normal attack killed him.

Also, Seth from SFIV. I like that battle since it really makes you need to understand fighting game mechanics but he cheats and the difficulty really spikes that it just rattles you when playing casually.Edited August 2014 by Whimsee
  • Avatar for Confidence_Trick #47 Confidence_Trick 3 years ago
    @ZenRain You can skip the meme speech :)
  • Avatar for Confidence_Trick #48 Confidence_Trick 3 years ago
    The Zeus battle at the end of God of War 3. A scrappy, ugly, aggravating mess of a fight which constituted a big disappointment for a series that thrives on spectacle.
    The boss in borderlands, you open the valut and then pump bullets into a giant nondescript mass that you can avoid taking damage from by waking in and out from a pillar. It was supposedly really dangerous and needed to stay sealed away, but it seems like anybody could have dealt with it. After that the shallowness of a lot of BL design sort of became apparent when I looked at it. Kept me from playing the sequels or DLC. Go to place, kill same five dumb enemies over and over again, find a boss that won't do anything interesting kill it and collect loot, repeat as much as you can tolerate :/
  • Avatar for darrinwright55 #50 darrinwright55 3 years ago
    The final boss of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

Think of it: you're taken on a fantastic adventure, full of engaging characters and fun gameplay. Then you have to basically play "keep away" from a bald white guy, running around in a circle and shooting plants instead of being able to engage the boss.

Lame.Edited August 2014 by darrinwright55
    I was going to say Orange from Gunstar Heroes, but then I realized... fighting Kanon Grey in Guardian Heroes was so much more annoying. He's always a mid-boss somewhere in the story, but he's so cheap--all of his ice and thunder spells are just impossible to avoid.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #52 SatelliteOfLove 3 years ago
    Souls Games: Breaking You Down To Build You Back Up Better Since 2009.
    How many Demon's/Dark Souls bosses will be in here I wonder...

For me, the Anor Londo twins are among the worst. I never summoned helped in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls (I summon A LOT in Dark Souls 2), but for the twins I had to summon a friend of mine. He pretty much took them on singlehandedly.

A bit more recently for me, though it's an old game, was Zeus in God of War 2 (in the HD collection). I'm not a huge fan of QTEs generally, but to have the last section of the final boss battle be a QTE, where if you mess up you have to watch the same cutscene again...and again...and again. It's maddening. At least with other games if you die on a boss, you can skip the little cutscene that introduces the boss. But for this one since it's at the end of a boss battle, you can't. It took me about 20 tries and it nearly ruined what was a pretty good experience up to that point.
    @Confidence_Trick I'm halfway through GoW3 now and, after hating the fight with Zeus at the end of GoW2, and remembering how many people hated it, I'm not looking forward to it at all.
    @lonecow I was about to mention the final boss of Ni No Kuni in my list because it did that (although I knew going into it that there were 3 forms). But since you had to backtrack through a good chunk of the final dungeon (which I hated anyway despite loving most of the game) to go back to a town to restock health items if you died, having to replay that boss was infuriating. The first two forms weren't so bad. The final form was brutal.
    Great question. The last boss fight in Front Mission: Gun Hazard springs to mind, nearly impossible. Dragon Slayer Ornstein & Executioner Smough gave me a tough time, broke an Xbox controller over that. But my all time worst boss fight ever? The Duke's Dear Freja from Dark Souls II. Atleast 60 attempts, and it was a 5 minute trek from the bonfire through speed-restricting spiders webs EVERY TIME. Fuck that boss and fuck that game.
  • Avatar for SupernerdBiscuit #57 SupernerdBiscuit 2 years ago
    Demon God Demigra. Dragonball Xenoverse. That guy inflicted slow upon my character so many times it took me nearly 30 attempts before even reaching the second part where his patterns increase speed, and a powered up trunks fights against you. Then after that the second form he takes was just highly unsatisfying and easy after the challenge of the first half.
  • Avatar for SupernerdBiscuit #58 SupernerdBiscuit 2 years ago