USgamer Community Question: Which Game Are You Looking Forward to Most in 2018?

New year, new you, new games!

Article by USgamer Team, .

We're a week into 2018, and it appears a do-over won't be allowed.

Oh well. Just need to soldier on. The USgamer team talked a great deal about what we want to see in 2018, but what about you grand people? What's the one game you're looking forward to most this year?

Mike Williams Editor

My immediate thought was Ghost of Tsushima; I'm looking forward to that game, but I honestly doubt it's coming out in 2018. So that's out of contention.

I think I'm going to go with Yakuza 6: The Song of Life. I'm new to the Yakuza universe, so I might as well, play the remaster of the first game, the prequel, and the final act of the story of Kazama Kiryu, right? That makes sense. I'm just really looking forward to gruff grandpa Kiryu as he uses his cold hard fists and heart of gold to right the wrongs of Japan.

It's not innovative or different, but it's a Yakuza and I know I'm going to have a blast playing it. Which is why I pulled rank and grabbed it for review. This is what you can do with power. I shouldn't let it get to my head though, or Kiryu will come for me.

Nadia Oxford Staff Writer

I bet you think I'm going to say "Mega Man 11." Ha! As if I'm that predictable! No sir / ma'am. My answer is Dragon Quest XI. Betcha didn't see that coming!

I will always, always keep you guessing.

[Flips cape, leaps off moonlit precipice, lands badly, dies]

Caty McCarthy Staff Writer

I wrote up two giant lists this week of anticipated games (one was a team effort, the other mostly me, myself, and I). Collectively, I'd say all the games on my indies list I'm looking forward to.

Probably at the top of my list is Wattam though, Katamari Damacy creator Keita Takahashi's latest game. It's not like Takahashi's been lying dormant since 2009's Noby Noby Boy. Last year Takahashi designed the Google AR-exclusive game called Woorld; before even that he was a designer on the indie game Alphabet and created the adorable (and never-to-be-released) party game Tenya Wanya Teens. Every time I've laid my hands on something Takahashi's had a hand in, I feel like I've been transported to a new world. The delightfully silly Tenya Wanya Teens was a delight back when I played it at GDC years ago, though its custom peripheral of randomized buttons would be hard to realize on any platform.

Wattam, I hope, is a return to form for Takahashi though. After years of experimenting with obtuse platforms and technology, Wattam remains a PlayStation 4 exclusive from developers Funomena (where Takahashi is currently employed). At its core, it's a cute game about making friends, with loose guidance and endless possibilities for hijinks. From the couple of times I've played it, it feels like it has more in common with Noby Noby Boy than Katamari, but that's a-okay by me. I could use another Noby Noby Boy-type of game in my life.

Related Tags

Dragon Quest XI. Very little contest there.
    Valkyria Chronicles 4
  • Avatar for UnskippableCutscene #3 UnskippableCutscene 11 days ago
    Spider Man. Though I also acknowledge that Octopath, Left Alive, and Kingdom Hearts III would be a very very good year for Square if it actually all comes together.
    Monster Hunter!
    Bloodborne 2?/Tenchu? (whatever it turns out to be) probably won't make 2018, so I choose Monster Hunter: World.
    Probably SoulCalibur VI, which I still can't believe is happening.
    Is Metroid Prime 4 coming out? That is my pick.
    If this game only delivered Yakuza 6 and Wattam I'd be pretty happy.
    I honestly don't really know yet. Monster Hunter World, Dragon Quest XI, and that Shadow of the Colossus overhaul are certainly games I'm looking forward to, but none of 'em really scream "This is the game I want the most in 2018" to me. Guess the MediEvil remaster might, but realistically we probably won't see its release until 2019 at the earliest.

So it's probably gonna be some random indie thing or remaster of an older game that we don't know about yet. That or the asshole goose game.
  • Avatar for Tetragrammaton #10 Tetragrammaton 11 days ago
    I admit, I'm really only looking forward to one game right now: Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology. The original is a tragically overlooked niche DS RPG that came out at a time when people were preordering Skyrim, when casual gaming came to mean games on Facebook, and mobile was starting to eat the handheld market. Radiant Historia wants to be the next Chrono Trigger, and unfortunately it's not quite full featured enough for it. I worry that the new storyline is going to tack on additions that were just as unnecessary as the additions to Chrono Trigger DS.

I hope not. Maybe this time Radiant Historia will break through and find the audience that wants to love it.

The runner up is the Spider-Man game from Imsomniac.
  • Avatar for Godots17thCup #12 Godots17thCup 11 days ago
    Octopath Traveler (or whatever its name ends up being), by just a hair over Dragon Quest XI. I don't think I've ever been that sold on a game after playing through the demo.Edited 2 weeks ago by Godots17thCup
    Is shenmue 3 still on the table for 2018? If not, monster hunter world
  • Avatar for InsertTokenz #14 InsertTokenz 11 days ago
    Like many others, it's gotta be Dragon Quest XI (in particular the 3DS version if it gets brought over). Otherwise, getting the Switch port of Dragon Quest Builders is also right up there.

Oh, and Project Octopath Traveler too. :)Edited 2 times. Last edited 2 weeks ago by InsertTokenz
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #15 LBD_Nytetrayn 11 days ago
    Yakuza 6, for sure.
    If it's actually a 2018 release, Metroid Prime 4

Close second due to the addictiveness of the Bravely series and its demo, is Octopath Traveler
    Project Octopath Traveler, Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology and Alliance Alive are at the top of my list for 2018. Looking to be a great year for JRPG fans.
    @Tetragrammaton - Agree 110% with everything that you have written. Radiant Historia has been done no favors with its late in system life release dates. So many people have already moved on from the 3DS that I fear this updated version will share the same fate as the original.

I also share your concerns regarding the new story line. I am not sure that it was necessary given how well the first game tied things up. Like you, my hope is that it will not be an extraneous time filler. The game deserves far better than that.Edited 2 weeks ago by Gamer-Law
  • Avatar for Monkey-Tamer #19 Monkey-Tamer 11 days ago
    Vermintide 2. Let the rat extermination begin anew.
    Probably BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle. Dragonball is understandable getting more hype, but BBCT has properties I actually care about, and it's tag mechanics look more interesting to me compared to the Marvel-esque chaos of DBZ.
    Deep Down

Oh wait...
    Right now I'm just thinking about Monster Hunter World. Maybe later, Dragon Quest XI.
    Dragon Quest XI is mine. Second in line would be Monster Hunter which sadly I have to wait a long time for the PC version.
    Red Dead Redemption 2, followed by the slew of PS4 exclusives and Monster Hunter: World.
    Crossing Souls, Donut County, and (hopefully??) Disney Afternoon Collection for Switch. Maybe I'll give Dragon Quest XI a shot, since everyone seems so into it!
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #26 The-Challenger 11 days ago
    Octopath Traveller and the ps4 Spider-Man game are two that I would love to play asap. Oh, and KH3.
    I cant really say unless the release dates are announced but KH III, RDR 2 and hopefully the first episode of FF VII Remake, Octopath and DQ XI.Edited 2 weeks ago by cldmstrsn
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #28 SatelliteOfLove 11 days ago
    The confirmed one is Spelunky 2.
    Soul Calibur 6 for me. It's been awhile since my soul burned. I will be back to wrecking people Xianghua and it will be great. Or so I hope.
    Absolutely Monster Hunter World
    I'd like to know what FromSoft is cooking, but past that, I'd just like to be surprised by good, random stuff
    I wish we knew all the games that were coming out in 2018. With the limited knowledge we have, I pick Hollow Knight for NS.
  • Avatar for discohospital #33 discohospital 10 days ago
    It's probably Octopus, but I don't think there'd be any point in my talking about it since everyone knows about it, so I'll say Alliance Alive.

This one might require a word-of-mouth campaign. I don't want to speak too soon, but word from Japan seems to be very good. It looks like it could turn out to be what I wanted from Bravely Default but didn't get. The rush to bury and eulogize an established platform once an alleged replacement is out has never made much sense to me (especially when there's such a difference between them in terms of functionality), but it's what happens, so I hope it won't get ignored for that reason.Edited 2 weeks ago by discohospital
    I don't know, probably Valkyria Chronicles 4. There's no major, big thing game like Zelda to catch my attention which means this year is likely open to surprise hits.
    @discohospital - My fear is that will happen to both Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology and Alliance Alive. Like you, I never understood why people abandon a platform simply because a purported replacement hits the market.

Alliance Alive reviewed very well in Japan, but its lack of marketing in the west does not leave me confident of success. It would definitely require a word of mouth campaign similar to what Bravely Default received in 2014, but I am not confident that JRPG fans will be there to initiate the campaign this time.
    Octopath Traveller, DQ 11, and please please give me that Darkest Dungeon Switch port already.
    More than anything, I would love a new self-contained immersive and smart standalone game. I want to be impressed and a little surprised. What's Arkane got going on this year?

if we're talking sequels, I'm not sure if Shin Megami Tensei V is coming out this year, but I'm hyped for that one. I like the idea of Metroid Prime 4, but we have seen nothing of the game yet, so who knows if it'll be great, but I'll probably play it regardless. It's cool that SMT Strange Journey is being overhauled for the 3DS. I always wanted to finish that one.
    I’d say Shenmue III but I’m pretty sure it won’t make 2018, so I’ve got to go for Ace Combat 7 (which was also my most wanted game of 2017...)
    @discohospital Do you mean Octopath? I havent heard of Octopus yet.
    For some reason I overlooked this before, maybe because it's not a "new" game, but I am unbelievably pumped for the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection.

Street Fighter 3 is my favorite fighting game and to have all three versions of it, with online play on 3rd Strike, is so f---ing awesome. That cart will never leave my Switch come May.
    If we are talking only of games that have already been announced for 2018 and unlikely to be delayed again: Red Dead Redemption 2. Not only the first one is my favorite Rockstar game, the fact that it is their first new release since GTA V just warrants that it's going to become a phenomenon. alles liebe zum valentinstag
    A new elder scrolls, the remake on resident evil 2, and another assassins creed if possible
  • Avatar for SnakeEyes097 #43 SnakeEyes097 10 days ago
    I'm really looking forward to The Swords of Ditto. It looks like a cute brawler, I want to play it with my gf and niece. You hug to resurrect!
  • Avatar for discohospital #44 discohospital 9 days ago
    @cldmstrsn Yeah, I was just being silly. The name is a pun - オクトパス can be read as either octopus or "octopath".
    @discohospital Awesome I did not know that! Thanks
    Dragon Quest Builders 2!!! I'll be playing so much of this, mostly in co-op mode.
    @chaoticBeat Yes. Everybody in the world should play Third Strike.

Comments