USgamer Community Question: Who's Your Favorite Game or Game Series Mascot?

Games are represented by a host of friendly faces. Who's your favorite?

Article by USgamer Team, .

Late last month, we all gave the side-eye to Bubsy the Bobcat's return. Nobody wanted the hell-cat to crawl his way back up from Sheol, but he arrived anyway.

Bubsy's return got us thinking a bit about mascot characters and animals, though. So here's a wide-reaching Community Question: Who's your favorite game or game series mascot?

The answer can be about a single character, a species, or just about anything that brings to mind a certain game, series, or company. Just answer with all your heart.

Mike Williams Editor

Why is every Community Question so hard? Yoshi? I always pick Yoshi in everything Mario related. Wait?! Unless Waluigi is there. Waluigi is probably my favorite Mario character and Mario is at the top of the mascot pyramid, so obviously that's my choice, right? Mega Man in all his various incarnations is up there too.

I'll go with Captain Commando. Have you ever seen Captain Commando? This was a character originally developed to be a fictional spokesperson for Capcom USA during the Nintendo Entertainment System launch in North America. Capcom manuals would include the character, whose design was quite different from the character we know today. His early version was a faux Captain Harlock with big Mr. T-style medals, while the second version was a generic 80s space hero.

As one of the many CPS arcade games of the early 90s, Capcom redesigned the character, gave him a squad of colorful friends, and made a beat-em-up. I have no idea what went into the hairstyle that would later pop up on Phoenix Wright, the massive shoulder pads, or the Bravestarr-esque future cop look. Akiman (the alias of Akira Yasuda) did what Akiman does.

Regardless, Captain Commando was the best nonsense. That Capcom doesn't have him at the front and center of everything should be added to the long list of missteps by the publisher.

Nadia Oxford Staff Writer

I can think of a hundred thousand entries for this particular Community Question, but I'm going to give a specific shout-out to Chocobos. Chocobos are cute but deadly, tame but wild. They're also instantly recognizable, and that's important for a mascot. If you took Big Bird from Sesame Street and taped a few knives to his toes, you'd have yourself a PBS-endorsed version of a Chocobo.

Chocobos are as good for combat as they are for cuddling. They're a decent early-level summon, and they look downright intimidating when they're fully armored. In Final Fantasy XII, running afoul of a pissed-off Chocobo can ruin your day; you'll wind up full of holes if you cross one. In Final Fantasy XV, you can dye them all sorts of crazy-ass colors. In Final Fantasy VII, you can inbreed them until you finally hatch one that glows like Jesus and crosses oceans twice as quickly. Whether they say "wark" or "kweh," Chocobos rule.

Caty McCarthy Staff Writer

Nintendo totally owns the memorable mascot beat. Mario. Kirby. K.K. Slider. Just looking at my desk, I have two Pikachu plushies (one dressed as Charizard, the other as a Tokyo Station employee), a small figure of Ditto disguised as Pikachu, and a Pikachu amiibo. Judging from all that, it'd probably be safe to say that Pikachu is my favorite mascot.

But no, I'm going to go with a totally different option.

I love, love, love Monokuma, the murderous teddy bear from the Danganronpa series. As to not spoil anything from the dense series, Monokuma is a being with mysterious origins. He's the headmaster of Danganronpa's Killing Game, which pins unsuspecting talented students one another in a fight to the death. But unlike Battle Royale-types, it's not an all-out bloodbath. Instead, Monokuma carefully manipulates orderly murders, by positioning motives and other situations to inject a thirst for blood into the students; and afterwards, Monokuma serves as judge on a trial, where only he knows the true culprit.

From someone who's never played the series before though, Monokuma looks like an average, run-of-the-mill cute mascot from Japan, even with half of his face sneering into a sinister teethy grin. I like Monokuma because he bends our expectations of gaming mascots: and he's still the type that has merchandise of him printed everywhere. Monokuma's not only a great, mysterious villain, but he's cuddly and cute too. For games, sometimes that's what we deserve.

Matt Kim News Editor

I think it's hard for me to differentiate what is a mascot character is versus an iconic video game character. For example, Microsoft considers Master Chief a mascot for the Xbox, but frankly I've always thought that was weird. Especially since Master Chief comes nowhere close to representing an entire company of consoles. Not like Mario, who's my pick for favorite game mascot.

Is Mario a boring and predictable answer? Yes. But is he also the one of the few characters who deserves the title of mascot? Absolutely.

With Mario there is no confusion about whether or not he's a mascot or just famous-videogame-character.jpg. He's both, and that unambiguity makes him my favorite mascot character in gaming. With Mario, I'm not sitting around wondering if he really deserves to represent a company like Nintendo.

I just realized that this question is asking for a game series mascot, which is a bit different I realize. But I've already written out this whole thing so just pretend that I alone was asked about my favorite company mascot.

Related Tags

Otenko, my nickname, because who doesn't love an messenger of sun on Earth who materialized as a sunflower? lol
    It's so hard to say what a mascote really is. What's the criteria?
    You said aome pretty good ones, but I would like to add the slime from Dragon Quest. That's so iconic that they appear in every JRPG. Besides, they got a cool DQ spin-off on Nintendo DS.

Rabites! They're cute, they're simple, they're bunnies. All three essential mascot qualities. Plus, their SD3 design is super easy to draw.

I do love Jack Frost and Emil, too. Jack's got a similar cuteness-of-simplicity principle going, and Emil's just too creepy-cute not to love.Edited 2 times. Last edited 4 weeks ago by Vonlenska
  • Avatar for ghostsandgoblins #3 ghostsandgoblins 23 days ago
    The Bezerk robots will (hopefully) always echo in the back of my mind: Intruder alert! Intruder alert!...Got the humanoid! Got the intruder!

Edit: I initially thought it was too much of a cipher to qualify, but my first loyalty will always be to the Intellivision running man.Edited 4 weeks ago by ghostsandgoblins
    The correct answer is Jack Frost.

I love the fallen knight from the Demon's Souls cover who later became adventuring knight (U.S. Dark Souls) or meditating knight (Japanese Dark Souls). I wish they had stuck with the fallen knight for the whole series...so inspiringly hopeless and existential.
  • Avatar for UnskippableCutscene #5 UnskippableCutscene 23 days ago
    Warcraft’s goblins. They originally started off as a suicidal devil-may-care race, and there’s something that amuses me about a race of people who are so focused on explosions that even their more productive inventions are powered by harnessing explosions to do something. It’s so pervasive that in some WoW missions it’s accepted that a goblin’s inevitable end is going to come from overindulging in firepower, and the hope is that the smoking crater you leave behind is the largest most awesomely striking one anyone’s ever made.

In recent years as America started fighting in the Middle East and the goblins bomb vest antics became too close for comedy, they’ve been recast as hyper-capitalists, acting selfishly even when being good guys. It’s unfortunately made them an easy soapbox for quasi-political humor, but it’s weirdly appropriate since the factions of Warcraft just can’t get along. So long as red guys and blue guys keep wanting to kill each other, goblins will keep selling them things to blow up the other team, whether they were intended to do that or not.
    Guys, the answer is Mario. Come on. Lez b ril here. He is the reason why some of the best racing, fighting, sports, party, puzzle and RPG games exist outside of his main platformers. He's literally the face put on new ideas in order to make them marketable.

In fact, there's only one other mascot who could possibly give him a run for his money: Pikachu.

Avoiding the obvious two choices here (and Nintendo has more than just two mascots I love, to be fair), I'm going to choose someone near and dear to me, a true friend against all odds: Diablo.

I don't know what it is about Diablo in particular, but I'm always pumped to see him (maybe her after he possessed a girl's body or something? It's not important, just keep clicking!) They always act like Diablo isn't present too, which is just silly. Like, "oh man, these other lords of evil are here, isn't that crazy considering we defeated Diablo OH DANG DIABLO IS BACK, WHAT THE HECK!?" But I'm pumped, I'm so pumped to fight Diablo each and every time. I don't know why. Give me another game like Diablo and I have fun, but it's not the same because the big bad at the end IS NOT DIABLO.
    @chaoticBeat I love both of your answers!! Jack Frost is the best, he's adorable but not annoying like Pikachu can be. I actually use him as an avatar on most forums and stuff, so I'm gonna go ahead and give him my vote.

The Demon's Souls knight is excellent, but like you said he was only used in one game.
    Can a cardboard box from Metal Gear be a mascot? It should...
  • Avatar for odaiba-memorial #9 odaiba-memorial 23 days ago
    I'm willing to second Nadia's shout-out to Chocobos, but if I had to pick something a bit less famous...

The Moo enemies from Klonoa are pretty darn great.
    Dragon Quest Slimes will always be my go to mascot. It's so weirdly simple yet completely perfect in my eyes.
  • Avatar for ghostsandgoblins #11 ghostsandgoblins 23 days ago
    @chaoticBeat I plan on digging into Atlus 3DS in 2018, so I hope Jack Frost becomes a favorite soon. He's been on my screen for a long time, but I didn't know his name until I saw your post and googled. I wish SMT had gotten some Badge Arcade frames.
  • Avatar for not_themilkybarkid #12 not_themilkybarkid 23 days ago
    For me it's probably the cyberdemon on the DOOM II cover. That guy scared the crap out of me as a kid.
    @Drachmalius Thanks! Yeah Jack Frost is the best, I hope Atlus brings that side scroller they made with him to consoles in some form. @ghostandgoblins Ahh, are you planning on playing Strange Journey Redux? I'm going to play it too, the original was so good. That sci fi atmosphere was such a good fit for an SMT game.
  • Avatar for InsertTokenz #14 InsertTokenz 23 days ago
    "All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Definitely Chrono Trigger's Nu. An enigmatic creature that has endured from the prehistoric era all the way till the end of the world with deceptive strength, and a butt-load of tech points to award to those who can defeat it. Seemingly dimwitted yet capable of many things, all while filling the typical iconic and simple character design traits a good mascot character represents.
    Kind of tough to define what constitutes a mascot, but I'll go with another one from Capcom, the Kobun/Servbots from the Mega Man Legends series. They still pop up from time to time but for a while they seemed to be on a bid to become synonymous with the Capcom brand, popping up as Easter eggs in different games and JP exclusive cell phone games. They were funny little dudes and I miss their fierce dedication to the punishing Miss Tron.
    Kirby. It's always Kirby.
  • Avatar for ghostsandgoblins #17 ghostsandgoblins 23 days ago
    @chaoticBeat I'm brand new to Atlus. I have SMT IV and EO IV and a few of the DS ports, but haven't played them yet. They just dropped the US prices on everything but the most recent releases. I'm planning on at least trying all of the 3DS digital games. What do you recommend I start with? Thanks!Edited 4 weeks ago by ghostsandgoblins
    @ghostsandgoblins Strange Journey Redux is coming in March and I highly recommend it. The original is fantastic but I would just wait for the new version. It's my favorite SMT game on the 3DS.

SMT IV is good, I think that SMT IV: Apocalypse is supposed to be better. It's kind of like an alternate story and it looks much darker and crazier in tone.

If you have a ps3, SMT: Nocturne is pretty unbeatable as far as setting the standard for all mainline SMT games. It's a ps2 classic but it absolutely holds up. I highly recommend getting a hold of a guide though (even an online walk through would be fine) because parts of it are very challenging puzzle-wise. The Digital Devil Saga games are both fantastic ps2 classics as well though the first one drags a little after a while.
  • Avatar for SkywardShadow #19 SkywardShadow 22 days ago
    I like chocobos quite a bit, but I like them in their original form from Nausicaa better. I'm gonna go with Moogles instead! Just thinking about Moogles fills me with warm fuzzies.
    Nintendo's got plenty of great mascots, but one of my favorites has always been the Boo enemies. Simple li'l cartoon ghosts as easy to draw as Kirby, yeah, but that's what makes them great.

They've been in practically every Mario game since their debut in Super Mario Bros. 3, and have had haunted mansions, kart tracks, party boards/mini games/spaces, various playable appearances, and even a Mario power-up. They also serve as the main antagonistic force for the Luigi's Mansion games.
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #21 The-Challenger 22 days ago
    The finger cursor from the Final Fantasy series always takes me back. Definitely a personal fav.
  • Avatar for ghostsandgoblins #22 ghostsandgoblins 22 days ago
    @chaoticBeat I just have a 3DS, but I have my hands full with that. I anticipate the series will sink its hooks in me. Thanks for the thoughtful advice.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #23 SatelliteOfLove 22 days ago

And Jack Frost's many relatives!
    I don’t know if they count as mascots or just iconic characters, but I have always have a soft spot for the Mettools/Metall/Mettaurs from the many Mega Man subseries. They can even be pretty tricky to defeat in some games.

Alternatively, Kirby. In spite of the fact that I haven’t really played any of its mainline games, I just find him cute and appealing.
    @The-Challenger I love in FFXIV that one of the non-combat pet minions is a flying version of the cursor that follows you around, forever pointing at your head.
    Moogles, kupo!
  • Avatar for filmywap2016 #27 filmywap2016 22 days ago
    You need to be a part of a contest for one of the most useful blogs online. I'm going to highly recommend this website!
    @Godots17thCup Wario is wonderful and I miss the WarioWare series and the quality of the pre-DS era of Wario platformers.
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #32 The-Challenger 21 days ago
    @Pandalulz I'm glad to hear it hasn't been forgotten by the people over at SquareEnix.
    Probably metroids for me.

Cactuars are cool too.Edited 3 weeks ago by AstroDemon
    Goro Majima from 'Yakuza' is the correct answer, if only for his liberal use of the 'Kazzy' nickname.
    Ryu, the World Warrior
    @chaoticBeat I never played the original so I'll definitely be picking up the Redux, looking forward to it

Comments