USgamer Reacts: Are We Excited About the Nintendo Switch?

Did Nintendo make a positive first impression with their new console? The USgamer staff shares their thoughts.

Article by USgamer Team, .

Earlier today, Nintendo finally took the wraps off their new console; and as we expected, it will be a hybrid portable console. But are we excited? Do we think it will succeed where the Wii U failed? Here's what we think so far.

Jeremy Parish Editor-in-Chief

Hi. I'm the guy who took a Wii U with him in his carry-on luggage to Tokyo in 2013 so I could plug it into the plane's under-seat power and work on a Wind Waker HD review. I've been predominately a portable gamer since about 2001. I have a hard time finishing console games because I hate sitting in the same place in front of a television for more than an hour at a time, even though I enjoy pretty graphics. Switch was made for me, specifically. I'm pretty sure of it.

There's still so much we don't know about Switch, but it doesn't matter to me; I'm on board. I don't even really care that it's a Nintendo console — that's a plus, since I like Nintendo's games, but I would be all-in for a system built around this adaptable, dynamic setup regardless of who manufactured it. I wrote a year ago about how I expected Switch (formerly NX) to work along the lines of Apple's PowerBook Duo, and that was as much wishful thinking as it was hard-and-fast wisdom. And now, here were are. My wishes came true.

So, yeah. I'll be preordering my Switch the instant it goes up for sale. It doesn't have to be perfect — it's already closer to my ultimate ideal of a gaming system than any console that has ever existed.

Jaz Rignall Editor-at-Large

So the rumors are true: Switch is indeed a hybrid-handheld. It's a smart move by Nintendo, essentially creating a games machine that has its own unique appeal compared to the dedicated set-top systems that are currently dominating this generation.

However, the Switch reveal video left me with a lot of questions. Battery life is one. The Tegra processor can be a bit of a power hog, so I'm interested to see what Nvidia has done to make it more efficient for Nintendo's new machine. Another one is the operating system. Looking at the video, it seems like Switch is a cartridge-based machine. What sized carts are they, and how much additional memory does the system have for downloading digital games? I'm assuming the machine will have virtual console functionality, but will owners be able to migrate their collection from older systems, or will they have to buy the games all over again? And then there's price. If Switch costs more than $200, I think that'll result in the system having a somewhat specialized appeal. Under $200, and it has the chance to be more of a mass-market machine.

But really, it's all about the games. We saw a few in the video, but what of broader support by the industry in general? Nintendo has touted a list of current partners who are lined up to develop Switch games, and so far it's looking pretty good. I'm just wondering what kind of games we'll be seeing, though. Will they be more mainstream releases, or smaller, indie-type titles? Until I know what they are, it's difficult for me to get truly excited. Bottom line, I'll be playing the waiting game. I'll be ready to buy a Switch as soon as it offers killer games that I really want to play.

Mike Williams Associate Editor

The Nintendo Switch is everything the rumors said it was, so I'm happy with it. Nintendo still has to nail down a few things: How much does it cost? What's the battery life like? What happens with Virtual Console? I can't act like I'm not going to buy one though.

As I've said previously, this is the culmination of a few different niches. The Nintendo Switch will be the full focus of all of Nintendo's first and second party efforts, meaning they no longer have to split their time between two platforms.

Second, there are a number of Japanese developers who have maxed out the Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita, but lack the resources to really play in the Xbox One/PlayStation 4/PC side of the pond. This is the next step for those devs and you can see that in the list of developers, which includes Nippon Ichi, Spike Chunsoft, Inti Creates, and Tokyo RPG Factory. It also allows companies like Square Enix to bring their premium mobile titles to another audience.

Finally, the full support of Unity, Unreal Engine, and CryEngine means we may also see a number of independent Steam developers on the Switch. For a while, the Vita was the recipient of many indies looking for a new platform and if Nintendo plays its cards right, Switch could equally be in that boat.

I like all of these areas and I love the idea of them coming together. I'm not seeing myself use the more modular aspects of the system. Trying to use either of the Joy Cons as a single controller seems absurd to me. But a new, more powerful portable with some Nintendo love? Who can say no to that?

Kat Bailey Senior Editor

I see a fair amount of positivity in these replies, as well as some questions. As for me, I'll admit that I'm a little skeptical that it will get the third-party support it will need to thrive. How powerful is the Switch? How much memory will it have? Are cartridges a good solution given how much games have grown? Will it support HDR lighting and the other bells and whistles we've come to expect from our consoles? These are all pertinent questions.

Then again, maybe Nintendo really is past the point of competing directly with the Xbox One and PS4. In embracing portability, Nintendo is truly playing to their strengths, as well as the desires of the Japanese market. If it is indeed the true successor to the 3DS, it stands to be the market leader for Japanese RPGs going forward. Certainly, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Monster Hunter will help in that regard.

More than that, we're in kind of a post-triple A world now. One of this year's biggest hits was Stardew Valley—a game that could run on the Super Nintendo. Mobile games are dominant. If Nintendo has robust indie support in addition to their usual offerings, there's no reason to believe that it will suffer a content gap nearly as acute as that of the Wii U.

Whether the Switch ultimately catches on will have a lot to do with its battery life, its price point, and its launch lineup. If it can show out of the gate that it can compete, then Nintendo may truly be on to something with the Switch. As for me, I plan on picking up a Switch on Day 1. Portable NBA 2K and Skyrim? I know what I'm going to be playing on my future flights to Japan.

Bob Mackey Senior Writer

I'm excited for the prospect of any new Nintendo hardware, if only because I love Nintendo-developed games. That said, the Switch teaser isn't necessarily made for people like me. From my perspective, the pitch amounted to: "Now what if you could—stick with me, here—take your video games on the go?" I get it, though. Since the rise of smartphones, portable gaming has been ghettoized more than ever before, and Nintendo needs to win back the mindshare of folks who don't see things like the 3DS and Vita as "real" gaming systems. (Even if these people are unimaginably and catastrophically wrong.) Still, even if we've been giving very little explicit information, I'm on board with the Switch: I already do a ton of gaming on my 3DS, and having the choice between playing on a TV and a small screen whenever I want sounds cool as hell. I mean, sure, that's what the Wii U was supposed to do, but, in retrospect, it feels like a half-step to the Switch's giant leap.

Nadia Oxford Staff Writer

I’m a Nintendo fangirl, so I’d buy Nintendo’s new system even if the box it came in required you to dig through dog poop with no gloves on. That said, I’m glad the Switch appears to be a solid investment -- and that the trailer contains no indication I will have to squelch through dog refuse to start playing one.

One thing that’s nice about the Switch is there’s no confusion over what it is, or what it does. The Wii U’s debut left people baffled; people came away thinking it was a mere extension to the Wii, not a whole new console. There’s no such confusion with the Switch. It’s simple, it’s clean, and it has a whole new name constructed from all-new parts that hints you can use it to hit the behind of a willing partner.

What I’m getting at is, Skyrim and full-fledged Zelda wherever, whenever? Sure, I’m down. Goodbye life, you were kind of fun.

I know Im way excited. I have said for years they needed to combine both their handheld and main consoles. Was getting tired of buying 2 systems to play all the Nintendo games I wanted. Seems like we finally have the tech to do it!
    I hope they can pull it off. I'm going to need a few more questions answered before I commit to a day 1 purchase (and even then probably not because let's be honest, there's probably prettier colors coming down the pipeline).

Another thing I just realized, even though the baby controllers are super pointless IMO, I get what Nintendo is trying to say... You have portable multiplayer out of the box. No need to buy a second controller. I can appreciate that.Edited October 2016 by swamped
    Price, Battery and games are all going to be the determining factors.

$250 or less then I am happy.

~4-5 hours battery at that fidelity? Okay I can dig.

Consistent stream of 1st party games with enough 3rd party support to fill gaps Nintendo doesnt dev for? Okay we're talking.

After that I just need to feel it and test it and let my wife and kids give it a go.

I do like the idea of taking Zelda on my 8 hour road trips home. Just need to know all the particulars.

Also From Software is a support dev, and so is Namco. Are we getting Dark Souls on the go? If so I am screwed
    I'm definitely interested, though the big questions I've got about the Nintendo Switch so far are as follows:

1) How much battery life does it have?
    2) How much internal storage space does it have?
    3) How little or how much of a hassle will it be to add more storage space?
    4) Will Nintendo be able to actually keep ahold of the good initial 3rd party support it has this time?
    5) POKéMON WHEN?!
  • Avatar for SuperShinobi #5 SuperShinobi 4 months ago
    My main takeaway from the trailer is that the Switch does not look like a device I'd like to be carrying around. To me it will be strictly a home console. If they sold it as a dedicated handheld, without the TV dock, I'd never buy it. It's too big, it doesn't have the clamshell screen protection of the 3DS or its magical glasses-free 3D screen, and it's far from being an incredibly sleek and beautiful piece of hardware like the Vita is.

Whether I'll be buying another underpowered Nintendo home console will depend entirely on the games lineup. I do like that it's using cartridges though, as a kind of throwback to the days of the N64 and SNES.Edited 2 times. Last edited October 2016 by SuperShinobi
    It's a new Nintendo console. Even at 41 years old I'm freaking out a little. Day 1 buy for me.
    I don't own a Wii U, so I'll likely be buying this to play Zelda on, but whether it will be worth playing anything else on will depend on the specs and the pricing. One thing that really makes me curious is, how much is the minimum hardware cost for the cartridges? I tend to think that these things will cost a lot more than disc releases, but since they can't actually charge more, the profit margins would be lower per unit. Microsoft and Sony could really capitalize on this by offering more discounted AA and AAA games, and better discounts after release, since their distribution costs would be lower.
    I have a 4 hour commute every day. You're damn right I want one. This is pretty much everything I'd hoped it might be - although I'm not sold on the lack of d-pad on the controller by default. I'm sure they'll have an accessory for that and I have no doubt that controllers for the Wii/U will also work with it, given Nintendo's penchant for backwards compatibility in recent years.
  • Avatar for ericj.baker43 #9 ericj.baker43 4 months ago
    I'm so happy that the Switch is following the WiiU's core conceit of allowing off-screen play. I cannot tell you how much more I play my WiiU than my PS3 if only because I can play my WiiU on the tablet controller while my wife watches something on TV (or more frequently, uses Spotify through our Chromecast to play study music through our TV's sound system while she works on grad school stuff). That kind of versatility is incredible, and something I didn't even realize I was missing until I got it. And the Switch is that, but even better! The modular stuff seems cool, but superfluous for me-- don't really care that it's there, but it certainly doesn't detract.

Now what would be perfect is if the Nintendo Switch included one of those fancy, way-out-of-most-Millennials'-price range big city downtown apartments. And the accompanying job that lets them afford it.
    I understand Nintendo had to sell the concept by showing the context... but they really should not have showed those little remotes so many times. I get it, it's for instant multiplayer, but... absolutely no one wants to be gaming using something the size of a Macbook media remote.

As for the concept, well, it's exactly what we expected (uh, except for Skyrim). Which makes me... just as uninterested as I was before. I'm really afraid they're going to be cannibalizing their own success in the portable field by essentially burdening it with its console issues.

Not that I think Nintendo's consoles need so much power, but that's a little troubling too - it means for sure we won't be seeing as many third party multi-plat releases. But there's also this thing called a Vita, along with the Vita TV... And with the ability to play on the go, this actually becomes a big deal! It's not hard to imagine a time when Kotaku and the like are daily publishing stories about how terrible the framerate Skyrim runs at in portable mode, etc.
  • Avatar for admiralsnackbar #11 admiralsnackbar 4 months ago
    I could not be happier with the reveal. I think the price estimates are waaay low so far, though. I do not see this as any less than $300, and I don't think it'll ship with the dock at that price.

We'll more than likely see two SKUs, like the Wii U. The 'Basic' Switch, just the console (and hopefully a power brick). Then the 'Premium' that comes with the dock for $50-100 more.

This is going to be marketed as a Home Console You Can Take With You, not a portable console you can plug into your TV. It will be priced accordingly.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #12 donkeyintheforest 4 months ago
    I think it will be interesting to see what unseen technologies lie hidden in the thing as they are revealed in the upcoming announcements...

1. Amiibo support confirmed by IGN
    2. Touchscreen implied by the Blizzard Hearthstone tweet
    3. I'm guessing motion controls in JoyCon L+R due to popular splatoon control schemes
    4. An LCD that works outdoors in the daytime?
    5. Change in orientation of screen for (3)DS emulation???
    6. Famiibo support (edible amiibos) (what!?)
    I am incredibly excited for this system and the promise of a unified platform for home and portable gaming. I consider the 3DS to be one of my favorite systems of all time not only for the games but because I can curl up in a corner of a room and play something without the need to do it on a TV. Having a single game card for the big and small screens is awesome and, in true Nintendo fashion, it's not really a new idea (TG Express, Sega Nomad having done this in the 90's) but one that has been refined by time and major advances in all facets of portable technology.

What I saw today was a great trailer - well produced with a lot of good hints at some features of the platform. The USG writers' points are all great ones, with their questions and mine on the same areas where we don't have all the info yet. That said, with the games that we saw and the hardware aesthetics, I am in Day One (admittedly, I would have been anyway, but now my excitement is just that much higher with something that looks as functional as it does capable of current generation-caliber gaming).
    @Ohoni Keep in mind, this isn't 1996. These "cartridges" aren't external PCBs that plug straight into the I/O bus; they're just flash memory used for data storage. And flash memory may not be as cheap as discs or downloads, but it's still pretty damn cheap.

Games for the 3DS and Vita sell for around $40. Manufacturing cost doesn't seem to be a significant factor.
    Looks very interesting, though I worry about the durability of the tablet itself, as it appears to have the guts of the system. If you want to play today's AAA games by your lonesome, that's why you own a computer or PS4/Xbox One. If you want to play games with your friends, as Nintendo has always done, get a Nintendo console.

I'm not concerned about graphical power or resolution, especially when most new games today require a day one patch, before you install the frakata game. If the NX and its cards provide a seamless experience as Nintendo systems usually do, I'll be okay. Besides, don't worry about the tablet hardware as I remember reading that a 2010 iPad was about as powerful as an Xbox 360. Everyone knows there's a gap between PC and tablet, but Apple has pushed the industry to fill it in.
    Yes, I will play videogames on this.
    Glad to see a lot of enthusiasm from the editors, because i myself am excited, and like to see my own opinions reflected in the words of the professionals. ;']
    I'm sort of with Jeremy, in that it's harder for me to sit in front of the TV for hours at a time, except late at night and then work gets in the way of that. So this system is my dream come true. Not to mention the HUGE benefit of most of Nintendo's resources in one machine instead of two. Also, March is my birthday so I can easily use that as an excuse to get one.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #19 SatelliteOfLove 4 months ago
    "More than that, we're in kind of a post-triple A world now. One of this year's biggest hits was Stardew Valley—a game that could run on the Super Nintendo. Mobile games are dominant.":

Although we kind of are, Im not sure that reality of that inevitablility has set in yet. We are still getting those last, final winners of that Battle Royale that kicked off 10 years ago, and those are still in a never-leaving-the-charts sort of way still the biggest system sellers (or at least the promise of them).

As for me, the keys with the Switch will be...

A) not suffering a N64/Wii U-level dearth of release window titles and/or sales.

B) not suffering from the Wii's evergreen titles shading out all other competition.

C) getting mobile titles to use friggin' buttons for action features.

D) getting the Vita and 3DS level tech onto this thing.

and finally

E) Not making a "4DS" and just going with this one solution. Pokemon Soup & Nuts will really need to arrive on the Switch. Fire Emblem: More Head-Touching Than Rean Schwarzer will really need to arrive on the Switch. Let the 3DS fade into beloved history and woo the Vita makers over before they wink out of existance. NOW.

Then, maybe, they'll have a firm multi-prong base to stand on and avoid the pitfalls of their now ever-extending recent past. Right now we're in that "the fanboys are in a raging froth" time (which with the XBox One getting 3 months in a row NPD, Sony slightly stumbling with two new PS4 forms means the gaming internet has been getting right sauceh lately), but months out when all the hard facts will be known and sales start coming in is what this'll be start to be judged by for real.Edited October 2016 by SatelliteOfLove
  • Avatar for LBD_Nytetrayn #20 LBD_Nytetrayn 4 months ago
    I'm... surprisingly not that excited. Don't get me wrong, im looking forward to it, but just about the only thing we hadn't already heard about was the name, so it just confirmed ideas that I'd already gotten used to (and admittedly hoped would be true).

Need more info, new info, to really excite me. To have some concerns relieved, like how/if Virtual Console fits in, or accounts. This talk of being region free is a good start, though.
  • Avatar for Lord-Bob-Bree #21 Lord-Bob-Bree 4 months ago
    Like an 8-Ball, my answer is "Ask again later." Still too many unknowns.

But I'll still get it if possible.
  • Avatar for StrwbrryJams #22 StrwbrryJams 4 months ago
    I really love the Famicom inspiration with having the controllers attached. That's really clever, imo, for pick up and play multiplayer. I don't play multilayer games often, but seeing two systems playing local multi-player for 4 seems under mentioned and really appealing!
    I'm excited this looks awesome. I can't wait for a Fire Emblem game I can play on the big screen when I'm home and the small screen when I'm away.
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #24 WiIIyTheAntelope 4 months ago
    Yes, sign me up. There's so many portable games that I've missed out on. I don't take public transport, and when I'm not home gaming is generally not an option. And when I am at home I feel like an idiot for playing a game on a 5 inch screen when my ass is parked directly in front of a 60 inch one.

shutupandtakemymoney.jpg
    There are still a lot of unanswered questions that will determine whether or not the Switch is actually successful in the market (price point, battery life, games line-up and storage space being probably the most pressing). But so far I’m excited for it, at least at the conceptual level. As I have mentioned before, given my current commuting lifestyle, a device like this that can allow me to play on the go more complex games than a mobile phone, then continue them seamlessly on my TV once I return home is just exactly what I needed.

Of course, as things stand is too early to tell if it will be more successful than the Wii U was, given Nintendo might make some terrible mistakes down the line that the lead to another flop. But right now I’m cautiously optimistic. Hopefully they will reveal more details soon.
    @Thad Not directly related to the topic at hand, but it seems curious to me how, every time someone mentions the Switch using cartridges, people immediately think of the plastic encased circuit boards from the NES/SNES/N64, instead of the flash based memory cards used by the DS, 3DS and Vita. Then again, I suppose that shows how far branding can go in shaping people’s perceptions, as Nintendo didn’t refer to the DS and 3DS game cards as cartridges, despite they being pretty much that for all intents and purposes.
  • Avatar for InsertTokenz #27 InsertTokenz 4 months ago
    With the cat now out of the bag, I can now say I'm definitely hyped for this system. I above all else look forward to experiencing whatever games get made for this thing. As long as Nintendo and whoever else that follows through in supporting the Switch can bring forth their best efforts, it will make for fun times in the end. :)
    I want this. I so totally want this.

As a husband and father of two kids, I find myself having less and less time to indulge in my favorite pastime (games, of course). I normally find myself drawn more to my Vita and 3DS more than I play my PS4 - which is why the trailer got me so excited about a Nintendo system, something I haven't felt in years. I want this more than I want a PS4 Pro.
    @docexe They never even referred to the NES/SNES/N64/GB/C/A cartridges as "cartridges". They were GAME PAKS, dammit!
  • Avatar for quang-sonle88 #30 quang-sonle88 4 months ago
    Portable local multiplayer. If they add a strong virtual console offering, they will not compete with consoles or mobile, but with Raspberry Pi tinkerers.

I'm all in.
    With the inevitable natural decline of the Vita over the coming years, I'm just glad to have a high quality portable on the market from either Nintendo or Sony.
    And the Switch is certainly more powerful than I was expecting it to be.
    Love the feature of it being a console as well as a handheld and the concept seems to be well thought out and executed.
    Also it being region free this time around is a God-sent for me. :)
    Can't wait for the system to come out. I'll be there on day one without a doubt.
    There are a lot of red flags going off in my head. Why aren't companies confirming, for example, NBA 2K17, or Skyrim Remastered? One possible reason is that they are downgraded versions specifically made for NS, kind of like how we got downgraded versions for Wii; I don't mean just graphically - stripping features out like online stuff.
    Like most people here I'm also really excited. I've played a lot of the U on the small screen while my partner watches tv or plays something on the big screen and it's become a convenience I did not want to lose. Also, Nintendo. So yeah.
    Very excited for this. I mean, I would have bought this even if it was something traditional or something offbeat like the Wii U, because I love their games. I loved my Wii U, naysayers be damned, because I had and still have so much fun with it.

Now, the only thing I am "eh" about so far, is the baby controller for on the go multiplayer on one system. I do not see myself using that very much, except maybe on the plane with my wife.

That said being said, while I am not a fan of the baby controller -and why it makes no sense to me to see some people freak out about it - it is completely optional. It is not required, and it's just one more option. You can keep the controller attached if you want, you can detach the controllers and hold one in each hand if that is more comfortable to you, etc. Choice is not a bad thing, and the best thing about this, is that it seems that unlike Wii or Wii U, you do not have to buy Wiimotes, or Nunchucks, or a classic controller. It's all right there. Switch around the modular controller how you see fit.

They are still offering the Pro Controller, which is great, because many people love their Pro line (myself included), and everyone will pretty much have a Pro Controller because most people pick up a second controller for couch co-op.
    I will be buying it day 1 as a fan of Nintendo's software and hardware for decades. However I am not the audience that needs convincing for this to be a mass market proposition. The console games on the go paradigm, as ushered in by the Vita (my all time fave handheld), was rejected by the mass market in the face of iPad adoption, sub-standard experiences (looking at you CoD/Resistance and Uncharted to some extent), and ruinous memory card strategy. Amazing handheld experiences are possible, even preferable to a full blown console game (RE Revelations 1 vs RE:R2, Tearaway, Little Big Planet, Luigi's Mansion), if done well.

The Switch is emphasized as a full blown console you can take with you, a subtly different proposition. PSNow/Remote Play on the Vita this is not. On the positive side, a custom Tegra, coupled with decent controls (will they release alternative configurations of Joy-con? D-pad? Paddle? Touch-pad variants?), good sized screen, battery, fast cartridges and ergonomics that work for an hour of play all suggest a robust solution.

The Shield Tablet running Half Life Episode 1 and Doom 3 was compelling, even without the option for game-vice style controls. Tabletop play did at times feel redundant, and I now move between the shield TV and Shield portable. The Switch blends all 3, and will benefit from that flexibility enormously.

In the end, the games will determine its success, and design decisions will need to take into account sedentary and mobile play scenarios. Sophisticated save states and fast switching between TV/handheld mode (the shield was not fast on that front) will be essential at OS level. I hope it succeeds.
    @reptilio It's common PR speak. Notice every company's release is almost word for word the same. We got a teaser trailer, not the full unveil which will happen in January after the Christmas season is over. Nintendo and other companies are not going to cannibalize their sales or PR. I love the Wii U, but like my beloved Vita, it is unfortunately off to the farm where it can roam free. That being said, there is the 3DS to think about, which still has I would say, 1 to two years left depending how the NS does. The Wii U, while done with, they just finished releasing Paper Mario and they still have the Wii U version of Zelda coming out. Nintendo as a company I am sure will want to sell off as much of their remaining Wii U stock as possible, so expect lots of holiday specials on it. Also, the NES Classic, which is slated to be a big holiday seller along with Pokemon.

As for third parties, I think they know people like the prospect of playing say, Skyrim Remastered on the go and at home. I would imagine, if the NS takes off (and I hope it does), they want to focus their sales on the present, which is Skyrim coming out for the PS4 and Xbone just around the corner.

Not saying that is the case. Just making theorizing why perhaps.
  • Avatar for gobiasterhards45 #37 gobiasterhards45 4 months ago
    Nintendo Switch looks cool as hell. Only concerns are battery life off the dock, and what type of online they are bringing this time. Name could have been better.
  • Avatar for blueberryboll #38 blueberryboll 4 months ago
    Crytek has not publicly confirmed Switch support for CryEngine, and was not on the list of third party supporters. CRIWARE is a Japanese company. But maybe Mike knows something we don't? CryTek have said that their ambition is to support all major consoles, and Wii U was supported so one might assume support is coming sometime.
    @Ohoni If Australian Amazon is to be believed, about $90 dollars. Also the console itself was $760. It seems crazy if it's even close to that.
    @Modern-Clix was that comment meant for me? ha

Comments