USgamer's RPG Podcast: Fire Emblem and a Discussion of the Switch's RPGs

Nadia and Kat goof on one another about Final Fantasy IV and Persona 4 Golden, then settle in to talk Switch and Fire Emblem.

Article by Kat Bailey, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey. You can find the previous episodes here.

In this week's episode of Axe of the Blood God (download link here), Kat and Nadia have a belated Switch conversation and discuss the rise, fall, and rise of Fire Emblem in North America. Plus: Another Persona 4 Golden Report!

If you're wondering what took so long, it's mostly down to the fact that we had to record last week's episode early because Nadia was actually going to be on-site. We've since had a lot to say about the Switch, some of which we cover again in this episode. But we also talk at some length about the Switch's RPG launch lineup, which is already looking decent from a Japanese perspective. Xenoblade 2? Dragon Quest XI? Yes please!

Also in this episode: I recount Fire Emblem's up and down history in the west! We talk about riding scooters in Persona 4 Golden! Nadia admonishes me for not remember to use the Twinharp in my Final Fantasy IV Let's Play! And we somehow get to talking about ramen somehow!

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

Kat and Nadia goof on one another for their travails in Final Fantasy IV and Persona 4 Golden (and talk about curry) before settling down to look at the Switch's announced RPG lineup and its long-term prospects. After that, it's on to Fire Emblem as Kat lays out the franchise's decline and subsequent revival and talks about the newly-announced games. Have comments or questions about the show? Email us at usgamer@usgamer.net or PM me. We may read your letter on the show.

3D World is total Yakety Sax.
    Can you add timestamps to future episodes?
    Hot takes for everyone!
    Hawt takes.

I'm super stoked for Switch but they sure as shit shoulda shown more games. They needed more western focused software - something that's not "us too" software like CoD or Madden
    Not having Skyrim at launch is a really poor choice on Nintendo and Bethesda's part, as many people have played the game already. Unless this is supposed to be an oasis in the midst of the standard desert. But then again, considering how glitchy Bethesda games are, maybe Skyrim will have to be worked on for the extra seven months.
    On Gundam, I'm playing through War Chronicle 0081. Interesting tale.Edited January 2017 by riderkicker
    @riderkicker I found it to be more or less a rehash of 0083
    When you say you hope they make a hardware revision of Nintendo Switch in this episode, what are the changes you would want to see? I think the Switch hardware looks fantastic, already. Probably the best looking Nintendo hardware I've seen, and it feels sturdy, too, from what I've heard.
    @Kat.Bailey It was at least better written than some of the other series I played through. Shrug.
  • Avatar for riderkicker #10 riderkicker 10 months ago
    I hope Nadia got her download of Person 3 Portable.
  • Avatar for Jonnyboy407 #11 Jonnyboy407 10 months ago
    @hiptanaka I like the hardware design too but I hope they one day do a more portable focused version. Kind of have a family of systems like 2ds/3DS/new 3ds
    @Jonnyboy407 Iwata said things in 2014 that implies they might:

"Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually..."

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html
    I'm glad Fire Emblem has found a bigger audience, but personally haven't enjoyed the last few games as much as I had hoped to, to the extent that I haven't been able to bring myself to finish any of the campaigns from Fates. That said, I'm perfectly happy to give the series one last shot at clicking for me again before I just decide to replay FE12 on loop for the rest of my life. We'll see!
  • Avatar for Jonnyboy407 #14 Jonnyboy407 10 months ago
    @hiptanaka I remember it well! :D

Here's hoping that we see it happen!
    Nadia, the reason why Xenoblade 1 was British was because Nintendo of Europe picked up the bill on localization, and then NoA ported the job over because it cost less.

This only worked the way it did because NoE, NoA, and NoJ are essentially autonomous in handling their regions with their own budgets and guidelines.
    I'm really looking forward to Fire Emblem on Switch. My favorite localized Fire Emblem games were the Radiant series on GameCube/Wii. I know I'm in the giant minority there. Outside of brutally few character interactions/relationships, I loved the tactics of Radiant Dawn.

No better feeling than clearing a massive late-game map after an hour of struggle. ... No worse feeling than losing a character in the second-to-last move and needing to hit reset.
    Deleted January 2017 by anuragan
    Thanks for the informative.check it out for Whatsapp plus is the latest trending app to talk with your friends and family. whatsapp plus download 2017 is the very secure app for communication with unlimited video and voice calls.

Comments