USgamer's RPG Podcast Puts Seiken Densetsu's Run on the Super Nintendo Into Context

AXE OF THE BLOOD GOD: Secret of Mana, the Final Fantasy XV delay, and Ash's struggles in the Pokémon League.

Article by Kat Bailey, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey. You can find the previous episodes here.

In this week's episode of Axe of the Blood God (download link here), Nadia and I pick up where the show left off with another look at how the Super Nintendo impacted some our most iconic RPG franchises.

This week we take a look at Secret of Mana and the unreleased Seiken Densetsu 3, both of which are regarded by observers as the pinnacle of the series. Nadia is a big fan of both games (she calls Secret of Mana her desert island game), so she has plenty to say about both. We also get into yet another underrated RPG pitch! If you'd like to contribute to the last feature, please send your emails to kat.bailey@usgamer.net or send a DM over USgamer's messaging service to kat.bailey. I look forward to your emails!

Next week: Deus Ex and an RPG developer interview!

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

Kat and Bob get together to pay their respects to Manabu Daishima, talk about Dragon Quest X on the NX and how it's still alive (02:50), true tales of localization hell (12:15), how the move to the SNES affected Dragon Quest (26:07), and more pitches for underrated RPGs (49:10).

• Avatar for WorstClassic #1 WorstClassic 9 months ago
    Kat, I just want to tell you I am super excited about listening to you talk about something I've been mulling over for like, MONTHS. But dear lord, if you don't perfectly echo my own thesis I will subject everyone with the poor sense to read the comments to it. The whole thing. It will have been your fault. The power to avert this tragedy was in your hands!

EDIT:
    The podcast basically didn't touch on what I felt was the Mana Series' intriguing pivot between SD3 and Legend of Mana (both of which I Kawazu-love). So you've doomed everyone Kat and Nadia. Everyone in the comments is doomed.Edited August 2016 by WorstClassic
    Secret of Mana is one of the games that I should really get to playing. :(
    I wish Nadia would play Secret of Mana for us, since she's very experienced at it. Though Kat would probably finish the game before we could blink.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #4 SatelliteOfLove 9 months ago
    Yeah, that and punters don't have much of a long-term longevity no matter how good they coffin kick; there's always some 21yo outta Utah State who can do it and for 6th round rookie salary.

Least him and some others are bound for Master's study.
    Just found your podcast. I really like it! :D
    @riderkicker I'd love to do this sometime! Too bad Kat and live on opposite ends of North America, or we could play together.
  • Avatar for WorstClassic #8 WorstClassic 9 months ago
    @himuradrew It's only SOMETHING SPECIAL in the context of its publishing era or with some friends. Especially friends who love to grind out spell levels.
    @nadiaoxford There is another way to do multiplayer across the internet, but that's more in Bob's gaming realm. ;)
    Deleted August 2016 by Stepout
    Deleted August 2016 by Stepout
    Secret of Mana may very well be my favorite game of all time. I think the clincher for me was the gorgeous music; Hiroki Kikuta combined sounds that I have not heard anywhere else on the SNES. Seiken Densetsu 3 has equally outstanding music, and is a fantastic game in its own right.

Comments