USgamer's RPG Podcast Wonders How Final Fantasy VII Would Look With Sephiroth as the Hero

AXE OF THE BLOOD GOD: New information about Mass Effect Andromeda, a hands-on preview of Tyranny, and what if we could play more RPGs as the villain? Kat and Nadia chat it up (and reminisce about Grandia 2).

Article by Nadia Oxford, .

Axe of the Blood God is our weekly RPG podcast hosted by Kat Bailey. You can find the previous episodes here.

In this week's episode of Axe of the Blood God (download link here), we talk about the Mass Effect series in light of new information about Mass Effect Andromeda. We also discuss Tyranny, and wonder what it'd be like to play RPGs as Sephiroth, Kefka, and Suikoden II's Luca Blight.

Also, we reach into our mailbag and discuss an underrated RPG: Grandia 2!

What does the Mass Effect series mean to you? What kind of influence does it have on games in general, if any? And which RPG villain would you love to wreak havoc as?

Where to find us (Subscribe, rate, and review!)

Show Description

Nadia and Kat talk villains and space as they gab about Mass Effect Andromeda, RPG bad guys in their own games, and their hands-on experience with Obsidian Games' Tyranny. What would Final Fantasy VII be like from Sephiroth's point of view? How's Tyranny so far? And does anyone remember Grandia 2? All this and more!

I'm holding out on Tyranny for now because of what I've heard about the combat. Switching from 6 to 4 party members doesn't bother me as much as the no friendly fire. I quite liked the strategically placing my spells in PoE. Streamlining the combat for this game seems odd given who's making it. I wonder if they think it's superior to how it was done in Pillars, or maybe there's plans for it to come out on tablets?

Edit: I was looking through the pics of Tyranny on the Steam store and saw the rocky, desert area with the purple crystals... I'm sold.Edited November 2016 by Stepout
    An enemy? It would be neat to play through Final Fantasy Tactics as Delita, especially if the game could simulate that progression in power from being nearly dead after a mill explodes, to being a king negotiating with a cowering universal church at sword point. That said, the experience I am asking for might already exist in Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, as Denam can be a very shrewd and bloodied leader, and that is if you choose to be lawful, even.
  • Avatar for junehansen32 #3 junehansen32 6 months ago
    Deleted May 4000 by Unknown
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #4 SatelliteOfLove 6 months ago
    The descent of GameArts' casts from Lunar 1 -> Lunar 2 -> Grandia 1 -> Grandia 2 is shocking. G2's cast is atrocious, the plot is silly, the theming both overwrought and underutilized, and Ryudo is that villian protag you are looking for: he's selfish, arrogant, thoughtless, and actions get justified by conditions (where have we heard THAT before lately...)
    @SatelliteOfLove So.... you don't like Grandia 2 then :)
    Thanks for the good show! Always a fun listen. :D
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #7 SatelliteOfLove 6 months ago
    @Kat.Bailey

It is both critique and emotional based, but that hatred is pure. :P

It was another age; I still hate-beat games to completion then. WoW and then Steam fixed that behavior.
  • Avatar for kevinschiavoni09 #8 kevinschiavoni09 6 months ago
    Kat, I'm with you on Mass Effect 1. I've (stupidly) played through the trilogy on all three platforms and the only version of ME1 that really holds up is the PC version. Now that the whole trilogy is backwards compatible on 360 I'm playing through ME1 now. It's fine on easy difficulty but anything above that is overly difficult with a controller. Just something about that game feels like it was designed with a mouse and keyboard.

I only recently beat ME3 but I'm generally far more positive than most on that game. I thought the missions were all pretty great (though I played on one of the harder difficulties). My main issue with ME3 is that is that I think the Reaper invasion should have actually been an Act 2 thing. Having an opportunity to complete missions unrelated to the Reaper invasion would make the games story feel a little less disjointed.
    My other issue with the game is the ending but I don't hate it. My issue with the ending is that it's actually not vague enough when it comes to the final choice. It basically details each choice. If you're looking for a better send off then get the Citadel dlc. You get a lot of very real human moments while playing that addon.

Nadia, if you plan to play through the trilogy then play it on X1. That way disc swapping isn't a thing. The games all look and run great on X1 as well. On top of that the 360 versions of these games have the least number of bugs. The only downside is that currently the only way to get ME2&3 digitally on Xbox is via an EA Access subscription, so you would probably just want to get physical copies.Edited November 2016 by kevinschiavoni09
    @Jonnyboy407 Thanks for listening!
  • Avatar for Lord-Bob-Bree #11 Lord-Bob-Bree 6 months ago
    I probably bring up Wild ARMs 3 too much... but getting to play it as Janus would probably be great.
  • Avatar for Jeremiah-Jones #12 Jeremiah-Jones 6 months ago
    If this podcast is here to help distract and entertain its listeners during the hard times, then...

photo mission accomplished.jpg"/>

In regards to Grandia II, I loved that game. It was the 1st rpg where I enjoyed grinding. I seriously was hunting down enemies. I also <3 Millenia. She stole the spotlight in that game for me.

I also agree III wasn't good. Whereas II had the static world map that made you highlight and select a destination much like Super Mario World, III hyped up the idea of being able to fly to a bunch of areas in the world, only to have you basically be shut off from all of them that aren't the next one in the storyline sequence, which sucked. The problem Kat had at the end of II was everywhere for me. I just got bored after a while. I did beat though, if that means anything.

It DID have a shiny cover insert though...

Anyone here know about Grandia Xtreme? If the fightan's good, I'll show up.Edited 4 times. Last edited November 2016 by Jeremiah-Jones

Comments