Valve Adds Native DualShock 4 Support to Steam

In a talk at Steam Dev Days, Valve talks about adding native DualShock 4 support and incentivizing Steam controller use.

News by Mike Williams, .

Currently, if you use a controller on PC, either the Xbox 360 or Xbox One controllers are your go-to options. Microsoft has support for both controllers baked into Windows operating systems, making them easy for developers and players to utilize. Valve is looking to change things, bringing the Steam Controller and DualShock 4 into parity. In a Steam Dev Days talk covered by Gamasutra, Valve's Jeff Bellinhausen and Level Up Labs Lars Doucet talked about improving PC support for both controllers.

The Steam Controller has sold 500,000 units since launch and Valve expects to sell 1 million by early 2017. Valve has found that Steam controller sales rise with bundles and sales, but the company is also hoping to increase the discoverability of game that use the Steam Controller well.

"We're working on ways to improve discoverability of games that play well with the controller. Now that there is a significant installed base of controller users we are working on ways to promote games that they may be interested in," the pair stated. "One of the more direct methods is to present customers with a 'most popular with Steam Controller' games list. Titles on this list will be easily discoverable for both new purchasers as well as existing customers. We will also continue to run focused sales that highlight hand-picked controller-friendly titles."

On the DualShock 4 side of things, Valve has found the Steam API plays real well with the standard PlayStation 4 controller. In seeking to expand the Steam controller API, the company has decided to start there.

"Soon we will be shipping an update that adds full configurability to controllers other than the Steam Controller. This means that players can pair their PS4 controller directly to their PC and use all the configurability options available to the Steam Controller, including use of the PS4 touchpad and gyro," said the pair in their talk.

"Now, why start with the PS4 controller? Well, not only is it a really nice, high quality controller, but it's also got a gyro and a touchpad, so it's got a lot of overlapping functionality with the Steam Controller. Also, existing native support for the PS4 controller on the PC is a bit weak; in this case Steam itself is communicating directly with the device so everything that's nice and reliable."

This support will also be coming for other controllers and devices, but Valve doesn't have anything to announce on that front yet. For PC players that prefer the DualShock 4 to the Xbox One controller, this is great news.

Related Tags

dualshock4 Steam

That's nice, seeing as I really like the DS4 controller. It's worth pointing out though, that you can already use the DS4 just fine with Steam. All you need is BT capability and the free DS4Windows tool. Works like a charm for me, and you can even customize all kinds of stuff down to the color and brightness of the lightbar (I wish the PS4 would allow me to turn it off as well ..) and the rumble settings.
  • Avatar for NotCarolKaye #2 NotCarolKaye 5 months ago
    Dear Valve,

*cups hands around mouth*
    HALF-LIFE 3!!!!

♥Joel
    I've been using the Steam Link a lot lately with a wireless XBOX 360 controller. The controller is fine, but I'm not a fan of the D-Pad on it. I think I'll give the PS4 controller a try.
  • Avatar for VotesForCows #4 VotesForCows 5 months ago
    @Ralek I use that too, its a pretty robust and easy to use program. Being able to turn of the light-bar is BRILLIANT.
  • Avatar for danielfoss72 #5 danielfoss72 5 months ago
    I've been using my DS4 controller with my PC games for months using a Bluetooth dongle and InputMapper...
    I consider the DS4's d-pad to be the best modern choice for platformers, so this is tremendous news. Now I can play 1001 Spikes without messing around with fiddly third-party drivers.
  • Avatar for Monkey-Tamer #7 Monkey-Tamer 5 months ago
    I love my Steam Controller but there's a few games it doesn't work well with, like Metal Gear V. And I don't like using it for emulators, either. I may be buying a dual shock if this works out as advertised. I had one of my xbox controllers die on me after only a couple years of use. My Nintendo controllers from 1986 still function perfectly.
    I used to use a 360 controller until last year I bought a BT adapter that allowed me to use a WiiU Pro Controller.

Yes you heard right. Holy crap is that thing great for PC Gaming.

You could install your own BT stack to get around the admittedly cheap dongle, but to each their own.

I just love the feel and comfort of the thing. It has great range and I can even run my pc to my TV in the other room and I don't have to re-paur any devices or do anything other than sit on the couch and play.

I went from hating Dark Souls with a 360 controller to absolutely adoring it with the WiiU Pro. It was a strange transformation.

Glad that there is someone finally making something work natively with a DS4 too though. And I will definitely try it as I like that controller a lot too.
    Just think, one leak and we'll finally have decent third-party controllers for the PS4.

Comments