Tonight was the first ever VGX show, the newly-revamped version of Spike TV's Video Game Awards. We here at USgamer know you don't want to have to watch the entire three-hour show, so we did it for you and wrote about it. Here's all the winners, all the announcements, and all the trailers. Enjoy!
These are this year's VGX award winners:
- Game of the Year: Grand Theft Auto 5
- Studio of the Year: Naughty Dog
- Character of the Year: Bioshock Infinite's Lutece Twins
- Best Shooter: Bioshock Infinite
- Best Action Adventure Game: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
- Best Sports Game: NBA 2K14
- Best Independent Game: Gone Home
- Best RPG: Ni No Kuni
- Best Fighting Game: Injustice: Gods Among Us
- Best Driving Game: Forza Motorsport 5
- Best DLC: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
- Best Xbox Game: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
- Best PlayStation Game: The Last of Us
- Best Nintendo Game: Super Mario 3D World
- Best PC Game: Gone Home
- Best Handheld Game: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
- Best Casual Game: Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- Best Voice Actor: Troy Baker for The Last of Us' Joel
- Best Voice Actress: Ashley Johnson for The Last of Us' Ellie
- Best Soundtrack: Grand Theft Auto V
- Best Song in a Game: Bioshock Infinite's “Will the Circle be Unbroken” performed by Courtnee Draper & Troy Baker
- Best Mobile Game: Plants vs. Zombies 2
- Most Anticipated Game: Titanfall
If you want to see what the winners were up against, you can head over to the VGX 2013 nominees page.
Game of Thrones
The first of Telltale Games' VGX announcements was the rumored Game of Thrones episodic series. Telltale has confirmed that the game will be coming some time in 2014. Game of Thrones will be a full Telltale game with branching choices, which seems to go against the idea of a previously-written tale, but I'm sure they'll work it out.
Tales from the Borderlands
Telltale's second VGX announcement is a collaboration with Gearbox Software to create Tales from the Borderlands. The game is listed as "A Telltale Games Series" in the trailer, so it's likely going to be an adventure game set in the world of Borderlands. The episodic series is coming in 2014.
That means next year you can expect more of The Walking Dead: Season 2 and The Wolf Among Us, plus Game of Thrones and Tales from the Borderlands. I guess adventure games are back, huh?
No Man's Sky
Joe Danger developers Hello Games announced No Man's Sky at the VGX show, a procedurally-generated, first-person, sci-fi exploration game. The trailer plays up the fact that everything in the game is procedural and features on-foot exploration and space-based combat.
“If you see the stars, those are real stars, they have their own planets around them, and you can go there,” said Hello Games' Sean Murray on stage.
What systems will play host to No Man's Sky? No clue! When is it coming? No clue! We'll let you know when we find out some more details!
New Announcements About Old Games!
Square Enix' Tomb Raider reboot is coming to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 with the new Definitive Edition. An Amazon listing for the game says the game will include digital versions of the Dark Horse comic, a Brady mini-art book, and all of the DLC. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is coming on January 28, 2014, according to the Amazon listing.
Broken Age, Double Fine's Kickstarted adventure game, is already coming out in two parts starting with a Steam Early Access release in January 2014, but tonight's VGX trailer revealed some new information. Jennifer Hale, Jack Black, Wil Wheaton, and Adventure Time creator Pendleton Ward have previously been confirmed as part of the voice cast, but Double Fine has announced that Lord of the Rings star Elijah Wood will join the cast as one of the two protagonists. Wood will voice Shay, the lone survivor of a dead world.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was supposed to come out this year, but it got delayed. The game now has a confirmed release date in the US of February 21, 2014. Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime also announced that Cranky Kong is joining Donkey Kong, Diddy, and Dixie as a playable character.
At the VGX show, Respawn Entertainment showed off two new Titan classes for its upcoming multiplayer shooter. The Titan previously-shown in demos and trailers was the mid-range Atlas class, but the new classes include the heavy armor Ogre and the light, agile Stryder.
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Tom Clancy's The Division
This article may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and buy the product we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.