Virtual Spotlight: Zelda II

Review by Jeremy Parish, .

People sure get angry about The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, huh? But before that came along to become the Zelda fanbase's favorite punching bag (at least until the next game, at which point they'll hate that and retroactively declare Skyward Sword a work of genius), the least-beloved entry in the franchise was 1988's Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

Playing it today on Wii U Virtual Console, you can certainly understand the frustration surrounding it. It's certainly not Zelda as you know it; in fact, Zelda II bears very little resemblance to any other chapter of the entire series. You can see echoes in its sequels -- the addition of a magic meter in A Link to the Past, the emphasis on swordplay and parrying in the post-Ocarina titles -- but as an experience, Zelda II resembles nothing else on NES. Even games that borrowed heavily from it didn't copy it directly. Infinity's The Battle of Olympus, for example, nakedly mimicked Zelda II's action sequences. But it abandoned the overhead view of the world map and the specifics of the RPG-style leveling system, even though their inclusion helped define Zelda II.

Victory in Zelda II requires adept use of Link's sword, shield, and spells -- often all at once.

I replayed Zelda II for the first time in nearly 25 years a few months back to better understand the game, and I was surprised by what I found. While certainly rough and in need of considerable refinement, Zelda II possesses a fantastic core of inspiration and quality that makes it one of the most forward-thinking games of the 8-bit era. On a fundamental level, it simply approaches the question behind the original Zelda ("How do you combine action and role-playing elements in a single package") from a different direction. The first Zelda took the top-down perspective of RPGs like Ultima and stripped out the need to use menus to attack by removing the abstraction from combat; Zelda II, on the other hand, takes a pure action style and grafts RPG mechanics onto it.

A few games had already pioneered this style, such as Falcom's Dragon Slayer series and Namco's Dragon Buster, but Zelda II went a step further than the rest. It placed protagonist Link in an expansive world depicted as a zoomed-out map with RPG-style random(-ish) encounters, giving him towns to explore and dungeons to conquer. A Metroid-like progression system determines your advancement across continents and toward the end of the adventure as you collect new tools and powers to break down various obstructions standing in the way of the next landmark and, ultimately, the final dungeon.

Victory in Zelda II also requires unintuitive actions like hitting a random square of the world map with a tool whose secondary function is never even mentioned in-game. This is Nintendo saying, "Eff you, anyone who wants to beat this game on a rental."

Zelda II emphasized combat and skilled play far more than other similar games, which were frequently unforgiving and arbitrary in their design. Zelda II certainly isn't a cakewalk, but its physics and mechanics possess a certain solidity and consistency lacking in its contemporaries. This marks the only Zelda in which swordplay constitutes the entirety of Link's combat arsenal, save a handful of costly magic spells, and as such a great deal of time clearly went into fine-tuning the flow and feel of battle. Link attacks and defends on two levels (high and low), earns the ability to perform downward stabs and upward thrusts, and generally goes toe to toe with enemies in a fashion that wouldn't come into play again until Ocarina of Time a decade later.

This being one of those early, innovative games that was throwing all sorts of ideas at the wall to see what would stick, Zelda II often misses the mark. Certain enemies feel downright unfair thanks to their wall-like defenses or various abilities that let them slip through Link's guard. This is the only Zelda to give you a stock of lives and send you scurrying for 1UPs, and the penalty for running out of lives is to be flung all the way back to the palace where the game begins, no matter how far away you may happen to be at the moment you die. A certain element of randomness, including infinitely spawning enemies that drain not only health but experience points, can force you to rely on luck to survive. And let's not forget all the invisible or hidden objects you need to uncover to complete the game. It can be frustrating.

Nevertheless, Zelda II probably plays better now than it did at its debut. Not that the game itself has improved -- though Virtual Console's save states help immensely -- but rather most people's understanding of what its creators hoped to accomplish has. Certainly I have a better appreciation of its ambitions now than I did when I barely even knew what an RPG was. Give is a fair chance and may find yourself surprised by how much there is to like in Link's adolescent journey.

If any game in Nintendo's pantheon begs for a remake, it's Zelda II. But even without the benefit of modern design maturity made possible in part by what Nintendo attempted with this adventure, it still merits reinvestigation. Flawed, but quite excellent.

3.5 /5

Virtual Spotlight: Zelda II Jeremy Parish Beneath its flawed surface, this ambitious 8-bit action RPG offers strengths worth reevaluating. 2013-09-13T02:30:00-04:00 3.5 5

I've been through this game a couple times. It is hard core. I use a guide. But I really do enjoy the game. It could definitely benefit from save states. I'll have to give it another go one of these days...after I re-finish the first Zelda...again.
    I like this feature
    I loved this game back when it was new. My friend thought I was crazy for liking it and said I could have his copy. Didn't finish it though. Started multiple times and spent ages just playing my way around inside it.

Many years later, I did go back and reach the end. It isn't a user friendly game. I felt like it was teaching me a valuable lesson...damned if I knew just what it was.

Good times.
    I always remembered the either the controls being floaty or the hit detection was bad.

Actually it was probably that it was so difficult and I needed to blame it on something.
    I'll be picking this one up this weekend. My original cart seems to have bit the dust! I went to play it the other day and even with cleaned pins and a new 72-pin adaptor in my NES, the game displays scrambled graphics :(
    Great writeup. Zelda II was my first NES game, and it's always got a special place in my heart, even with the myriad frustrations I endured.
  • Avatar for brionfoulke91 #7 brionfoulke91 3 years ago
    This is one of my favorite Zelda games, and still is. I love how punishing it is, it really makes exploring the world much more exciting than in other Zelda games.

I recently played through it without save states or a guide and it was a pleasurable experience. There are a few secrets that are a bit obscure, but luckily I was able to remember how to find them from my childhood, and I ended up not having any major problems. It's still a really well designed game to this day.

I'd love a new Zelda game done in the same spirit as this one, with less hand holding and more punishing difficulty.
    Secret best zelda ever!Edited September 2013 by koalpastor30
    Zelda is my favorite series, but I haven't spent more than ten minutes on Zelda II. I think I need to correct this.
    After "A Link To The Past" and "Wind Waker", this is my favorite Zelda game. The abandon of style compared to the first game led to a certain charm that still holds value 25 years later....and that takes nothing away for the brilliance of the original game. I guess, more than anything, I'm somewhat disappointed that Nintendo hasn't revisited this style in the series. It worked, despite its problems.
  • Avatar for lilierobica08 #11 lilierobica08 3 years ago
    Deleted July 4000 by Unknown
  • Avatar for anthonycaudill #12 anthonycaudill 8 months ago
    I totally disagree with you, Mr. Parish. Zelda II's greatest flaw was that it was too ambitious, in that it stretched its technology too far too fast. If it had waited another year, for a bigger cart and a fresher attitude, then it might have done better. But it has too few graphics and its later dungeons are too complicated. I don't think I know of anyone who finished it without a guide. I remember enjoying the game in my childhood, but I never made it farther than the 3rd dungeon. Later I played the game through as an adult, and found myself getting bored with the wall warps and pit physics, not to mention the not-so-insignificant fact that leveling up was an absolute chore which almost everybody succeeded in only by spending hours slashing the bouncing skulls. If you died, your experience was reset to 0 so you didn't risk death while leveling. If you tried to make it without leveling, you got overwhelmed and ended up dying and starting over repeatedly. People remember this game only for its first half, which racked neither their brain nor their patience, and the TV commercial which offered some context to its confusingly non-interactive opening scene.Edited 2 times. Last edited November 2016 by anthonycaudill
  • Avatar for juliagrace12 #13 juliagrace12 7 months ago
    I’m soooo happy through your blog posts, and waiting for the upcoming posts.contemporary wallpaper borders

Comments