Sony's E3 2015 Conference Recap: Expect the Unexpected

Need help digesting the many, many PlayStation-based announcements this year? Allow your friends at USgamer to summarize what went down at Sony's event.

Analysis by Bob Mackey, .

Let's be realistic, here: It's late, we're all E3'ed out, and lots of stuff happened at this year's Sony's conference.

So, for the sake of brevity, I'll spare you the standard connective tissue and get down to talking about games. Just like Mike's piece on the Bethesda event, I'll be breaking down the highlights of Sony's showing with a handy summary of what exactly went down. And, as is the case with most PlayStation conferences, there's lots to talk about—so let's get started, shall we?

The Last Guardian

It's been nothing short of an outright sin that Fumito Ueda has been MIA for 10 years—10 years! And while the industry has changed monumentally since Shadow of the Colossus' 2005 debut, our craving for more of his unique blend of play and storytelling certainly hasn't. While it's impossible to know what exactly happened to The Last Guardian—long promised as a PlayStation 3 exclusive—during its last decade of development hell, this is the last E3 in years where Sony hasn't been shy about confirming its existence.

Opening with this particular announcement stands as a pretty smart move by Sony; placing it anywhere else wouldn't be kind to the few games that had to follow its act. The brief, playable bit shown off at the conference tonight featured a small boy and his large dog-dragon working together to solve an environmental puzzle centered around crumbling bridges—an extremely Ico-style brand of gameplay, with some Shadow of the Colossus thrown in with how the player character interacts with his big buddy. And it's due in 2016? Pardon me while I go through my hard drive's supply of Futurama memes. In short: it's about damned time.

Horizon Zero Dawn

Up next we have Horizon: Zero Dawn, a production by Guerrilla Games that presents an interesting take on the post-apocalypse. Essentially, civilization as we know it has ended thanks to that standard robot menace that ends most fictional civilizations. In its place, what appears to be a hunter-gatherer society (One with pretty good English!) has risen, and the gameplay demo put a female hunter to the test as she felled giant robot beasts in a manner that looks like a combination of Evolve and Monster Hunter. Of course, there's no telling what the larger framework will be, but taking down giant monsters within huge environments can make for a very good time—based on personal experience.

No Man's Sky

No Man's Sky, Hello Games' outer space sandbox, blew minds at last year's E3, and at 2015's event, we finally got a chance to see how the thing plays. Sean Murray of Hello Games took to the stage to show the full scope of his team's creation by zooming backwards through a procedurally generated universe. At random, he chose a single cluster of stars to warp to, and was there in seconds, scoping out an uncharted solar system. In front of an enthusiastic crowd, Murray zoomed to the surface level of the planet in an attempt to show off just how massive No Man's Sky truly is. There's still no release date, but it'll be interesting to see what hooks this game features outside of the desire to see more stuff.

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Well, I guess this had to happen, didn't it? (You can only put off fan demands for so long, I guess.) In what seems like one of E3's worst-kept secrets, Final Fantasy VII is indeed happening all over again, most likely in time for its 20th anniversary. What Square had to show was basically the teasiest of teasers, but at least we know this long-awaited remake is actually happening. Whether or not it will work outside of the context Final Fantasy VII was created is anyone's guess, but, well, there you have it. Square has quite a bit on their plate at the moment, so let's hope this little peek at Final Fantasy VII doesn't end up being infamous several years down the line.

Shenmue III

Okay, to be fair, Yu Suzuki's appearance wasn't to promote the upcoming Shenmue III—it was to promote the fact that Shenmue III could actually happen if his newly announced Kickstarter reaches its goal. With Koji Igarashi's Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night making record bank, tons of Japanese creators are undoubtedly seeing dollar signs—or, in a less cynical light, they're seeing a chance to continue a legacy they left behind years ago. Personally, I'm not big fan of Shenmue, but the circumstances behind that game were definitely... unique, so I don't wish any ill will on Suzuki. And who knows? Maybe now that's he's working under the command of fans—and not a company in its death throes—maybe Suzuki can make something really great.

So, what did Sony neglect? Surprisingly, their Morpheus VR headset failed to occupy more than 30 seconds—which might be a merciful move on their part, seeing as this kind of technology is incredibly hard to show off in a theater setting. And, as someone who absorbed the last four Sony conferences—either in person or via stream—I have to applaud them for talking about the non-game stuff as little as possible; I'm sure you probably remember Brian Michael Bendis wasting way too much of our time with his Powers presentation. That said, this was a BIG event for surprise announcements, and while I've hit all the high points, I'm sure my peers at USgamer have plenty to say as well. So if you don't see their commentary throughout or below, check this article again soon!

• Avatar for KaiserWarrior #1 KaiserWarrior 2 years ago
    E3 is over, pack your bags and go home. Sony just won with FF7 Remake.
    Well I will eat my words Kat. I said just a few days ago that you need to let it go that this wasn't happening but I will gladly eat those words cause wow that looks great.
  • Avatar for Lord-Bob-Bree #3 Lord-Bob-Bree 2 years ago
    Well... I wanted surprises, and it seems I got them. Hopefully the compilation doesn't leak into FFVII too much...
    Odd there was no Fallout footage, 'cause they were dropping the bombs left and right.
  • Avatar for boxofficepoison #5 boxofficepoison 2 years ago
    I had resigned myself to the fact that Shenmue 3 was never going to happen. Sony certainly had the most surprises this E3 that's for sure.
    Deleted June 2015 by hal9k
  • Avatar for Dreamcaster-X #7 Dreamcaster-X 2 years ago
    It's still hard to believe that just happened though. I mean think about it, 3 of the most fan anticipated games in the industry were just announced in ONE press conference, ONE!!! When was the last time anything like this happened? Ya gotta give credit where it's due & this was a coup like no other in E3's history.
    Wow, I thought Kat was at least half kidding about the remake on the podcast last week. After these 3 are out the door (FF7, Last Guardian, and Shenmue) what else is left to wait on?
  • Avatar for Dreamcaster-X #9 Dreamcaster-X 2 years ago
    @hal9k Half Life 3 is the only one that comes to mind...Mother 3 but that's actually playable already in English.
    @Dreamcaster-x Good call. Seriously Valve, everyone else is doing it. Maybe even Mother 3 is possible, now.
  • Avatar for Mikki-Saturn #11 Mikki-Saturn 2 years ago
    Unless Nintendo blows us away tomorrow (never count them out) I think this is Sony's E3.Edited June 2015 by Mikki-Saturn
    Am I the only person who thought of Etrian Odyssey during the opening of the Horizon trailer?
  • Avatar for brionfoulke91 #13 brionfoulke91 2 years ago
    Wow, Sony has clearly won E3. Three huge announcements: FFVII remake, Shen Mue, and Last Guardian! And boy, did that Last Guardian gameplay look fantastic! This game looks like it will have been worth the wait!
    shenmue 3 (more that $1,3 million pledged out of $2 million asked when I write this with 30 more days to complete), the last guardian for 2016, FFVII remake.... this is some crazy E3!

but curiously, why SONY didnt fund Shenmue3 on its own? but then again I think it would be good news for Xbox and Nintendo folks who wants to play it on their system...
    @Natabuu Dunno about the opening, but the look in general kind of gave me an 'Enslaved: Odyssey to the West" feel.
    @hal9k What's left? Metroid 5.
    Shenmue 3 was literally the only thing Sony could announce which would make me forgive their forsaking the Vita.

I am surprised they couldn't counter the Backwards comparability bullet MSFT shot across their bow. Seems like they could figure out a way to give people PSNow access to games they own... somehow.
  • Avatar for matthewjohnson31 #18 matthewjohnson31 2 years ago
    @hal9k Metroid, F-Zero, Mother 3.
    @matthewjohnson31 To answer my own question: Chrono Break.

Glad to see Square working on new IP, though.Edited June 2015 by hal9k
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #20 SatelliteOfLove 2 years ago
    FanFic City. Sadly, MY dream of Konami execs coming on-stage and deep bowing and greeting Murayama on stage to announce Suikoden VI: The March to Harmonia didn't come to pass...
    @ping33

Sony didn't forsake the Vita, mobile players forsook the thing.
  • Avatar for MonkeyDSomething #21 MonkeyDSomething 2 years ago
    @hal9k Chrono Break, Seiken 3 localized somehow, and DQVII release would all be some major wish fulfillment. Next year!

Comments