It's not the grand Steam Summer Sale or the magnificent Steam Christmas Sale, but Valve has launched its Steam Halloween Sale today. Steam has 442 titles on sale until November 3rd, after which time all of these great deals will hide again until December. Here's some of the games you should think about picking up for this sale, in descending order of discount.
The New Stuff
First up, there are a few recent releases on the list that don't have crazy deep discounts, but are worth picking up regardless. If you read a recent review, but the price was too steep, you should take a second glance to see if it's worth it for you now. This list includes Costume Quest 2, Dead Rising 3, Murdered; Soul Suspect, and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.
- Murdered: Soul Suspect - $12.49 (75 percent off)
- Costume Quest 2 - $7.49 (50 percent off)
- Dead Rising 3 - $37.49 (25 percent off)
- The Long Dark [Early Access] - $14.99 (25 percent off)
- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - $17.99 (10 percent off)
These games aren't brand-new and they're not super-cheap indies, but they have some weight behind them. Here's a bunch of titles that may strain your wallet, but are worth checking out.
- Deadly Premontion: Director's Cut - 5.99 (80 percent off)
- Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs - $4.99 (75 percent off)
- Outlast - $6.79 (66 percent off)
- State of Decay - $6.79 (66 percent off)
- Typing of the Dead Overkill - $6.79 (66 percent off)
- Slender: The Arrival - $4.99 (50 percent off)
- The Walking Dead: Season 2 - $12.49 (50 percent off)
- Don't Starve + Reign of Giants DLC - $10.44 (45 percent off)
Cheap Indies Want Your Love
Then there's the indie titles, which tend to be a bit more on the narrative or esoteric side, but still provide some great experiences. These are the games you want to pick up if you're trying something new or straying out of your comfort zone. One of the games is less than a dollar, folks!
- Eldritch - $1.94 (87 percent off)
- Closure - $1.99 (80 percent off)
- Lone Survivor - $3.74 (75 percent off)
- Deadlight - $3.74 (75 percent off)
- The Swapper- $4.49 (70 percent off)
- Home - $0.98 (67 percent off)
- Cognition - $7.49 (50 percent off)
Big Saving Bundles
But hey, I understand if perhaps you'd like to stick to tried-and-true games from proven developers and publishers. The Steam Halloween Sale also has a whole host of packs collecting a number of great titles under one low price. This section includes a number of great picks including the Dead Space games, the F.E.A.R. series, the Penumbra collection, and even the Legacy of Kain series. (Shed a single tear for the lack of new Legacy of Kain games) Most of the titles in this section are 75 percent off, so you're seeing some real savings even if they tend to be older games.
- The Legacy of Kain Collection - $3.99 (80 percent off)
- Penumbra Collector Pack - $1.99 (80 percent off)
- Alan Wake Franchise - $9.99 (75 percent off)
- Dead Space Pack (No Dead Space 3) - $8.74 (75 percent off)
- Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 - $7.49 (75 percent off)
- F.E.A.R. Collection - $13.74 (75 percent off)
- Cthulu Saves The World & Breath of Death VII - $0.89 (67 percent off)
- The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Bundle - $19.99 (50 percent off)
Finally, the most important games you should pick up are the games that I think are awesome. Liking the awesome games I like makes you awesome. I want you to be awesome. Let's be awesome together.
- Darksiders Franchise Pack - $8.99 (85 percent off)
- The Walking Dead (Does not include 400 Days DLC) - $6.24 (75 percent off)
- DmC Devil May Cry - $16.99 (66 percent off)
- Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition - $6.79 (66 percent off)
- Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition - $6.79 (66 percent off)
Hopefully, this will make it easier for you fine USgamers to empty your wallet and make Gabe Newell's wallet even larger. Buy a few of these titles, forget to install them, and realize your folly when the Steam Christmas Sale rolls around this year. That's what I'm doing.