What's Next for Assassin's Creed? Signs Point to Russia, Not Feudal Japan

While one location for the next Assassin's Creed gets shot down, another comes into focus.

News by Mike Williams, .

It's about that time, folks. If Ubisoft sticks to its past actions, we'll soon find out what's next for the Assassin's Creed franchise. While Assassin's Creed II, Brotherhood, and Revelations were all announced in the April/May window, Assassin's Creed III and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag were both announced in early March. So where is the series heading in 2014?

The AC series is a collaboration borne by Ubisoft's vast studio system; a number of internal studios work in concert on each annual iteration, with one studio taking the reins each year. The creation of 2014's Assassin's Creed is being led by Splinter Cell: Blacklist developer Ubisoft Toronto, a studio run by managing director Jade Raymond. In a recent interview with Adweek, Raymond shot down the idea that the next Assassin's Creed would take place in feudal Japan.

This is surprising because the Assassin's Creed: Initiates was previously focused in modern day Tokyo, Japan. Initiates is Ubisoft's community program that provides extra color to the world of Assassin's Creed. The series is following Assassin Order leader Gavin Banks and his travels aboard the Altair II, as told through reports from a (Templar?) spy. From May to December of last year, Initiates was focused on reviving the Order's presence in Japan (Yakuza Assassins!), leading some to believe that feudal Japan was the series' next stop. In January, Initiates moved to a new location, Moscow, Russia.

Russia has been the focus of previous Assassin's Creed graphical novels, The Chain and The Fall. Both series chronicled the adventures of Russia assassin Nikolai Orelov, through the Animus memories of his ancestor Daniel Cross. Orelov operated from the late 19th century until the early 20th century. His story was completed in the two series, but a new game could follow his son or an earlier Russian assassin during the Industrial Revolution.

The cover for Assassin's Creed: The Fall, issue #1.

The Initiates Twitter account also tweeted two hints today. Sleuths at NeoGAF and the Initiates forums used the two clues to nail down a set of coordinates just outside of Moscow. The era is still in question, but the location is at least firming up.

Of course, that only covers one of the possible Assassin's Creed games for this year. Anonymous sources told The Examiner in December that Ubisoft may be planning two AC games for 2014: one for generation seven platforms like the PS3 and Xbox 360, and one for the Xbox One and PS4. It's not the first time Ubisoft has done such a thing, as Splinter Cell: Double Agent was a vastly different experience on Xbox/PS2 and Xbox 360/PS3/PC. Ubisoft Sofia, the team behind Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD, would probably be the team behind a second AC release.

"Definitely [multiple releases a year] is a possibility. That being said, I don't believe AC Liberation and AC IV are in competition as both games provide different experiences and I'm sure our fans enjoy both," Ubisoft Sofia producer Momchil Valentinov Gindyanov told the Examiner in a separate interview.

Ready to kill Templars in the frozen outskirts of Moscow?

Related Tags

assassinscreed

• Avatar for Captain-Gonru #1 Captain-Gonru 3 years ago
    I want to get excited for this, but am having a hard time. ACIII kind of burnt me out on the series. I still haven't even played IV.
    But maybe they could do the Bolshevik Revolution more interestingly than they did the American one.
    I'm not psyched at that possibility. There are things to explore in Russia, maybe WWII, maybe the era of Peter the Great, but ultimately it's not a location that excites me out of the gate, even less than Colonial US did. If not Japan, then I would still hope for some period of London or Paris.
    So do you get to kill dogs or is that too soon?
    @Ohoni You can go running across the rooftops of Nazi-occupied Paris in the meantime by grabbing a copy of The Saboteur. Fun little game.
    @Captain Gonru
    You should consider AC4, It was an odd game. It had parts where you had to play Assassins's Creed, but more cover sneaking than rooftopping, but a lot of it is just pirate stuff too. I think it'll be a huge waste if they don't spin off the gameplay of Black Flag into its own pirate themed IP (with more pirate features like advanced ship customization and less AC stuff like climbing and falling into hay stacks).
  • Avatar for brionfoulke91 #6 brionfoulke91 3 years ago
    @Captain Gonru I agree with you. This series is rapidly getting stale. You can already feel the publisher's drive to milk the series for all it's worth. Reminds me of the Core Tomb Raider games.
  • Avatar for danger.to.others #7 danger.to.others 3 years ago
    Captain Gonru, I understand your feelings perfectly. They matched mine. I went from loving the first AC despite it's many flaws to becoming a full on fan with AC2.
    Brotherhood was excellent, but then came Revelations. Rev is the game where I started to feel tired and the game treaded in place.
    To make it worse, then came AC3, the worst in the series by far.
    I suffered through it because I liked their take on how America really came to be. The plot was interesting, simply executed poorly.
    And AC3 felt broken, be it glitches, sticking to the environment moreso than previous or the all-over-the-place difficulty.....a difficulty usually stemming from terrible controls, not the mission requirements.
    Two bad games in a row and I was sick of AC.
    The only reason I got 4 was I had a PS4 (fingers crossed it'd run well) and the developers were the guys who made Far Cry 3.
    This was by far the best AC game in the series for me. It not only ran beautiful and had top quality graphics (again, I'm judging the PS4 version, I don't know about other systems) and a decent, if slightly breezy, story....but it had more stealth missions than I recall seeing since the original.
    And usually I'm terrible at cars or flying in games, so I was worried about the sailing, but I ended up having no problem and part of my favorite thing to do, taking down forts, had me attacking with it.
    I put more time into AC4 than any previous game, I clocked 100 hours in the solo, and loved every minute.
    I agree the series took a nosedive for a couple years, but if there was a time you enjoyed AC, then you owe it to yourself to at least rent AC4.
    And I'm actually excited for a AC game with 5, despite having no details.
    It's Jade Raymond's division. And that woman makes great games. She was one of the people who conceptualized the original Assassin's Creed. This next game her development wing is making is her first time back to the series since the original.
    Between her gaming passion and what they did with Splinter Cell: Blacklist (a title that this guy right her who's played all the Splinter Cell's in the series on day one thought was the best in the series), I'm confident in this being an AC game unlike any other in craftsmanship.
    I hope they do go to Russia. They have a great and distinctive culture rarely touched on in gaming.
    Just stop making them. Period.
    I'm genuinely open to a ocean based franchise, but more Assassin's Creed? F**k that.
    While I wouldn't try to argue with people who think Ubi's milking the franchise a little too hard, I really enjoyed 4 and am definitely interested to see what's next. Russia isn't something I'd strongly considered, but hey, it's got some pretty nifty cathedrals to climb. ;)
    I've not liked an Assassin's Creed game enough to think any of them were worth $60 until AC3 came out, but didn't care until AC4: Black Flag to buy a copy. I've rather mixed emotions about AC in Russia, not for gameplay reasons (I felt the gameplay had gotten better as the series has continued), but due to always falsely seeing Russia in a WWI/WWII era frame, and I just couldn't have cared for that era. However, I'm willing to give them the benefit of a doubt on this based on my impressions with AC3 & AC4:BF as it is.
    What, no ninjas?