Will Mass Effect Andromeda's Multiplayer Affect Your Ending? Here's What BioWare Says

Bioware has learned a key lesson from fan feedback of Mass Effect 3.

News by Mike Williams, .

In Mass Effect 3, Bioware added a multiplayer mode for the first time in the series. The problem was that multiplayer actually affected the single-player campaign: a readiness rating that you could raise in multiplayer was key in determining how many of the supporting cast survived the final battle. For single-player only players, the backlash against this decision was swift and unforgiving.

With Mass Effect Andromeda, Bioware is still offering a multiplayer mode and a new Strike Team system allows the player to shift between single-player and multiplayer within the game. This time around though, multiplayer won't touch the single-player campaign.

"There's a system that we use called the Strike Team system, and fundamentally it allows you to go between singleplayer and multiplayer within the game," Bioware producer Mike Gamble told Kotaku Australia.

"And it's packaged around a meta-story of what's going on in Helios. I can tell you that there's a loading screen - it's not entirely seamless - but it won't require you to stop your game and restart in a different mode. Because narratively it's all connected, it makes a lot of sense."

Mass Effect Andromeda Finally Dated: March 21, 2017 in North America

Bioware's next is coming to PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 in March.

An unsurprising reveal is that Mass Effect Andromeda won't have official support for mods, though Gamble won't rule mod support out completely. It's something the studios and publishers should think about, because mod support is key to lengthing a game's lifespan and improving its community. Many of the most popular games on Steam have extensive mod support.

"As we see the reaction to these things those plans can change very quickly," he said.

Mass Effect Andromeda is coming to PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 on March 21, 2017.

I never played ME3 because of so much negative reaction from the fans and press, and holy crap I never looked into the reason why. The ending was dependent on MultiPlayer? That infurates me now just hearing it as someone who loathes multiplayer modes.

Really, just the fact they did that makes me never want to buy a Bioware game again. Such hubris! What were they thinking??? That just sounds like a company who is completely out of touch with their player base. So they learned a lesson from it? Who cares, they should have never even come up with that idea in the first place. What the heck?

Did they at least patch that out later? Or is that still part of the game?
    @lonecow it wasn't *dependent* on multiplayer, it just made it easier to get access to a better ending. If you made good calls throughout the campaign (and the previous games) it was still unnecessary, though Bioware did eventually lower the criteria for the better endings significantly - to the point where multiplayer was REALLY superfluous for them.

And ME3 was good, dammit! I really enjoyed that game and thought the ending I got was fitting, extended cut patch or not. It got slagged unfairly, I felt.
  • Avatar for matthewcooley77 #3 matthewcooley77 4 months ago
    @lonecow I played, finished and loved ME3, and I was not even aware until now about the multiplayer thing. If I recall correctly, you are trying to fill some kind of 'readiness' meter throughout the game by doing missions and what not. Again going off memory, but I remember it being pretty trivial to max out the readiness and get the best ending even before any nerfing by EA.

I would not worry about it even a little bit. You should play the game if you like sci fi. Its good and probably pretty cheap right now.
    @lonecow this kinda was a reason, but not entirely. The real reason for the backlash over the ending was that your choices throughout the game truly didnt matter once you talked to the final NPC. You could be the holiest of holy characters and then all of a sudden go "Eff this!" and then get the renegade ending.

With that said, I enjoyed Mass Effect 3 multiplayer 1000x more than I did the campaign. I would honestly have bought the ME3 multiplayer game as a stand alone game, it was that good.

I am looking forward to seeing how Andromeda's multiplayer plays out.
    @lonecow This is so blown out of proportion. I never played the multiplayer and the campaign was fine. Basically, you're working on a certain score throughout the campaign by doing missions and stuff, and playing multiplayer could add to the score. If you just did all or most of the singleplayer stuff, you'd be fine. If I remember correctly, I think they even did lower the score requirement to make it easier for singleplayer exclusive players. I don't think it had to do with the ending either (which was a separate issue somewhat blown out of proportion, though certainly a point of discussion), it just had to do with how you reached the last mission or something.
    @lonecow I played through the trilogy last year after having only played ME1 back in the day. ME3 isn't perfect but it was enjoyable enough, if you liked 1 or especially 2, you should definitely play through 3. I didn't do any multiplayer or use any guides and I was still easily able to get a good ending. ME 2 and 3 have issues for sure but they are still decent games. Personally ME1 is the best imo but I'm glad to have played through them all finally.

Oh and shame about no mod support. I had to jump through some ridiculous hoops to mod in controller support for the PC version of ME2 and 3. Really hope they change their tune on this but I wont hold my breath.Edited January 2017 by camchow
    @lonecow I think the ending thing was just symptomatic of the problem that's been growing through Bioware's "Dialogue Wheel" writing ever since Jade Empire.
    You have an NPC who says "So, what do you think?" and your choices are "SHINY HAPPY SHEPARD LOVES EVERYONE!", "Neutrality Shepard Does! Not! Take! SIDES!" and "Evil Shepard will cut you and eat your eyeballs for no particular reason, because Bioware can't write evil characters for shit." and then the NPC would respond "Huh, you're a bit of a looney, but I guess I'll work with you anyway." to all three responses, and wouldn't have any real change in attitude based on your actions and demeanour at all.
    Being able to pick whatever ending you wanted was just an ultimate embodiment of that half-assed writing style.

Deus Ex did a similar thing way back in the day, actually. It took the route of putting ending 1 behind an unlockable door, ending 2 behind an explodable door and ending 3 behind a door that could only be unlocked via the power of friendship, and that had a similarly jarring effect if you'd been playing an evil character who exploited the power of friendship, but who would have preferred the door-unlocking ending, but hey, someone is going to complain no matter what you do...
    @Frosty840 i am gonna disagree. If the Mass Effect problem was like Jade Empire, then there wouldnt have been a backlash over the ending in the first place.

The problem was that Mass Effect was unlike other console game I had ever played when Mass Effect 3 came out. Sure there was more or less a critical path, but if you played on Xbox, there were still consequences from the first two games that were being resolved in the third. There were entire interactions that would not happen at all depending on your choices.

Then the ending comes along and ignored all of that. It was incomplete and unsatisfying because after all of the little things that made the journey so unique to each player, the ending was simply "Pick what color explosion you want after this info dump."
    @pdubb Personally I liked leaving the consequences vague and up to your own imagination because it reminded me heavily of 60s-70s science fiction literature/movies. I can see how that's not to everyone's taste, but I really appreciate the ambiguity and the focus on the journey, in game.
  • Avatar for charleswianversfeld1 #10 charleswianversfeld1 2 months ago
    I'm very impressed on bioware on mass effect andromeda same with all my subscribers on YouTube but I got comments about how bad it is and all that does not bother me does is that the campaign story line was a bit to short ,it was brilliant but to short for millions of people who buyed the game and loved it but they want it a bit bigger like at the end mission meridian it was awesome but short In other words to bioware you guys are the best game producers for maney of people and we very much wish that bioware can continue with the mass effect series and hope to see the next mass effect in the future(we ♡bioware)
    You completed a few fine points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will go along with with your blog.
    the best carding forum
    Offering wide collection of leather briefcases made in Italy.
    made in italy briefcase
    Bet on an outcome of events in Counter Strike:Global Offensive matches and earn coins for purchasing of skins in the Store.
    csgo match betting advice