Xbox Achievements Revamp "Fundamentally Changes The Concept"

Microsoft Wants to highlight the different ways people play.

News by Mike Williams, .

Microsoft is about to spring the new dashboard on the Xbox One, showcasing the new Fluent Design philosophy. As part of that update, it seems the company will be rethinking Gamerscore and Xbox Live Achievements. In an interview with Windows Central, Xbox corporate vice president Mike Ybarra outlined the reasons why.

"We are working towards a bigger, more meaningful change about somebody's gaming accomplishments in history, as a gamer on Xbox," said Ybarra. "[W]e can do a lot more to reflect and let people show their gaming history and their status."

"Whether it's somebody who only plays multiplayer in Halo 5 at a professional level, maybe they only have 2,000 Gamerscore, you want to be able to celebrate that person. You want people to be in the know," he added. "This person doesn't play a lot of games, but they're world top ten at Halo 5. All the way to people [with over a million gamerscore]. It's that range that we really need to look at and celebrate ... we're going to go big in the area of letting people show off and represent their gaming history and the type of gamer that they are, far more than we do with Gamerscore."

Essentially, Gamerscore is fine for the completionists, but doesn't address those who deep dive and master only a few titles. It'll be interesting to see how Microsoft handles the issue, thought no details were given in the interview.

Wake me up when blades are back.
    When are they going to fix the menus?
    @SIGGYZtar Never. But they'll keep making new menu salads every six months until they exit the game console market.
  • Avatar for KaiserWarrior #4 KaiserWarrior 10 days ago
    I have never understood the appeal of gamerscore. There are people who acquire and play games they don't even like just to make that meaningless number go up, to impress random internet strangers who neither know nor care about them. It baffles me, utterly.
    @KaiserWarrior
    I've never understood it either. Same for trophies and achievements.Edited 2 weeks ago by lacerz
    @KaiserWarrior thats just a very small number of people. Most actually don't care. But I do like them, if they are part of the way I play anyway. For example the flawless raider in destiny is a very tense and fun one. And some, like finishing hard games on the hardest difficulty do feel like you earned them. It's just a little icon, that reminds me of the struggle and fun I had. If games are bad I don't bother. Though I did the two on don't starve , which are totally useless and make your game harder by using up limited materials. Now, that was a waste of time :)Edited 2 weeks ago by Thetick
    Achievements/trophies are stupid. They were a cool novelty in 2005 when I could point at my screen and go "OH LOOK AT WHAT I UNLOCKED!" and now I'm just like, meh, just give me Steam trading cards for what I do want to play so i can sell them to schmucks for a quarter and eventually buy a free game.

MAKE ACHIEVEMENTS LIKE THAT AND I'LL PLAY XBOX AGAIN, MICROSOFT! Give me incentive!

(I'm kidding, I'm not buying Xbox, that would be stupid. The games are playable on Windows 10 and I still don't play them)Edited 2 weeks ago by NiceGuyNeon
    Not many achievement fans in the comments here. Not for me either. But be aware that the appeal of intrinsic versus extrinsic rewards is a fairly stable personality construct across humans. Some people are genuinely motivated by an external sound/achievement/pat on the head - others are not.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #9 donkeyintheforest 9 days ago
    I like achievements when they put a new spin on gameplay (beat this level without firing a shot, etc.), so long as they don't ruin multiplayer haha. Otherwise, I guess this is for people who like a quantitative measurement of their time spent gaming. Woooooo

Comments