Xbox One vs. PlayStation: Launch Line-Up Fight

We put the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One launch line-up's up against one another. How do they stack up?

News by Mike Williams, .

With today's Gamescom announcements, we finally have a full launch line-up for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. The PlayStation will be launching in North America on November 15, while the Xbox One is still on a fuzzy November 2013 release window. Microsoft has released a list of 23 titles on that will be available on launch day, while Sony is touting 33 titles that will be released in the PS4's launch window, which stretches until the end of December 2013. Of those 33 games, Sony has named 15, with another having already been confirmed at the press event today.

PlayStation 4 Launch Window

• Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (Ubisoft)
  • Battlefield 4 (EA)
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts (Activision)
  • Driveclub (SCE)
  • FIFA 14 (EA)
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall (SCE)
  • Knack (SCE)
  • Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft)
  • LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Warner Bros. Interactive)
  • Madden 25 (EA)
  • NBA 2K14 (2K Games)
  • NBA Live 14 (EA)
  • Need for Speed: Rivals (EA)
  • Skylanders: Swap Force (Activision)
  • Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)

Xbox One Launch Day

• Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Ubisoft)
  • Battlefield 4 (Electronic Arts)
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts (Activision)
  • Crimson Dragon (Microsoft Studios)
  • Dead Rising 3 (Microsoft Studios)
  • FIFA 14 (Electronic Arts)
  • Fighter Within (Ubisoft)
  • Forza Motorsport 5 (Microsoft Studios)
  • Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft)
  • Killer Instinct (Microsoft Studios)
  • LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Warner Bros. Interactive)
  • Lococycle (Microsoft Studios)
  • Madden NFL 25 (Electronic Arts)
  • NBA 2K14 (2K Sports)
  • NBA Live 14 (Electronic Arts)
  • Need for Speed: Rivals (Electronic Arts)
  • Peggle 2 (Electronic Arts)
  • Powerstar Golf (Microsoft Studios)
  • Ryse: Son of Rome (Microsoft Studios)
  • Skylanders: Swap Force (Activision)
  • Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)
  • Zoo Tycoon (Microsoft Studios)
  • Zumba Fitness: World Party (Majesco)

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, FIFA 14, Just Dance 2014, LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, Madden 25, NBA 2K14, NBA Live 14, Need for Speed: Rivals, Skylanders: Swap Force, and Watch Dogs are coming to both platforms. If you're a big EA Sports or Ubisoft fan, there's little to choose from here. Many of these titles offer exclusive content for one of the platforms, like Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag's Aveline missions on PlayStation 4 or the FIFA 14 Ultimate Team's Legends mode on Xbox One, so there's still a bit of picking and choosing to do.

Sony's PlayStation 4 only has three exclusive launch titles on the list: DriveClub, Killzone: Shadow Fall, and Knack, all from Sony Computer Entertainment. Not on the list, but previously hinted or confirmed in the launch window are Blacklight: Retribution, DC Universe Online, Tiny Brains, and Warframe. Sony also confirmed Minecraft as a PS4 launch title today, bringing Sony's total to eight.

Microsoft's Xbox One has eleven exclusive games on its launch day list: Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3, Fighter Within, Forza Motorsport 5, Killer Instinct, Lococycle, Peggle 2, Powerstar Golf, Ryse: Son of Rome, Zoo Tycoon, and Zumba Fitness: World Party. That puts Microsoft's console well ahead of Sony's in quantity, but quality is in the eye of the beholder.

As I've said before, the PlayStation 4 is my launch console of choice. None of the exclusive titles listed above for either platform stand out for me with the exception of Dead Rising 3, but I don't enjoy the series enough to switch over to Xbox One for it. My PS4 killer bullet is Infamous: Second Son, which is coming in early 2014, putting it outside of the launch window Sony has established here. After E3, I also have a slight preference for the DualShock 4 controller over the new Xbox One controller.

Have the new Gamescom announcements swayed your next-gen hopes and preferences?

They're so similar, it's looking like I'll just pick the least expensive option - and that's the PS4. Also knowing I'm covered for any Uncharted or Last of Us sequels is a nice plus.
    Even as a pretty die-hard fan of Playstation, I can give credit where credit is due - the Xbox One line-up is pretty varied, and there's certainly plenty to play. I've always been a much bigger fan of the Sony exclusives (and attitude) and there's nothing on X1's list that I find overwhelmingly compelling, but they've done a good job putting some launch software together.

Now please, Sony, announce Last Guardian at TGS.
    Things are pretty bleak for us RPGers. Either because they have longer development cycles, or they're niche games that require a broader install base, RPGs are always pretty scarce in the early years of a system (not to mention that the majority of RPGs have migrated to handhelds, which I prefer anyhow).

It's true that FF Versu - er, I mean, FFXV is on its way, but I think FFXIII taught me a lesson in that regard: Final Fantasy is no longer the system seller it's always been for me. I'm not completely down on the series, but it's a little sad nonetheless.

But as it stands, no RPGs = no console purchase. It's the same reason I probably won't get a Wii U (unless some fan campaign convinces Nintendo to localize a handful of solid RPGs in the system's dying days...).
    @touchofkiel Yeah, if you are a fan of console RPGs, you are better off buying a 3DS in 2013 or digging into promising takes from the Indie market.
    @touchofkiel The RPGs will come from Japanese developers (who will probably favor the PS4) and indies (who currently favor the PS4).Edited 3 times. Last edited August 2013 by MHWilliams
    @Wellman To be honest, I'm down with that. I played my PSP/DS just as much as any console last gen, and 3DS/Vita is shaping up the same way. I still have a pretty big backlog of PS1, PSP, and DS games, actually.

And like I said, I generally prefer handheld systems anyway, so I'm not complaining. Just throwing it out there in the ether... RPGs sell me on a console, and it seems unlikely the 3 new consoles will ever have enough to sell me on them. Which is fine, I guess.
  • Avatar for adamscottprenger78 #7 adamscottprenger78 3 years ago
    Forza 5, all those servers, and dat controller pushed me into the arms of Xbox One.
    I'm actually buying both (to my wife's dismay) having finished paying them off last weekend, and thought I had no clear favourite.

That being said, I have been naturally drawn to one console this gen more than any other, and that being the PS3. So my initial reaction is, if I had to choose, I would go for the PS4 first.

But to MS credit, the XBO launch line-up is far better than the PS4. In particular, Dead Rising 3, which finally looks to do the series some justice.

Unfortunately the PS4 exclusives are a little too...obvious. Killzone being the only one that stands out.

Either way, my bank manager isn't going go be happy.
    @touchofkiel Fire Emblem and SMTIV are two of the best releases this year, hands down; but I'm with you: if there was a killer RPG launching with these consoles, I'd definitely be there day-one. Maybe this is for the best... the backlog piling up for my 3DS is getting absurd.
    I’m set on the PS4, although I’m not planning on buying another console this fall.

That being said, of the two, the XBOne launch line-up has a couple of more interesting exclusives (Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3, etc.). In that sense, Microsoft has an advantage in terms of games, but a weak point in terms of price. It will be interesting to see how the two consoles will do at retail, particularly after Christmas.

Also with most of the third party games also available on current gen consoles, and the most interesting next gen exclusives not arriving until 2014, I wonder how many other people will do like me and wait before buying a next gen console.
    I am set to get both and that kills that argument right out. My dilemma is if they hit the same time which one do I play 1st. Now that's a debate worth discussingEdited August 2013 by deesmith
    @twopenny The 3DS is secretly the best system on the market.
  • Avatar for albertchen14 #13 albertchen14 3 years ago
    I was pleasantly surprised by the day one launch line-ups of both systems, but I think it probably has to do more with the fact that we're coming off of a generation that led to the rise of many, safe bet, annual franchises beyond just sports games. In generations past, we didn't have as much "legacy" to go on with launch titles, so this launch, comparatively, feels very solid indeed.
    @deesmith I'll be getting both too. I'll grab exclusives on day 1 and wait for reviews for the rest so I can get whatever is best
    Peggle 2 is literally the only game on either list I care about. Gonna stick with my 3DS/Vita combo for a while.

Comments