Xbox One Will Still Get Original Xbox Backwards Compatibility This Year

Xbox boss Phil Spencer promises that the feature is still coming.

News by Mike Williams, .

Earlier this year at E3 2017, Microsoft announced that games for the original Xbox would eventually be backward compatible on the Xbox One. Currently players can purchase certain Xbox 360 games and play them on Xbox One, but Microsoft said it was looking into expanding that feature to encompass the older console. Unfortunately, since that announcement, we haven't heard much.

GameSpot caught up with Xbox boss Phil Spencer at the Brazil Game Show and asked about the status of Xbox backwards compatibility.

"We're close, we're really close," said Spencer. "I have a little dashboard I go to and I can see all the games [and] where they are in getting approvals in the pipeline. I know the games that are coming for the original Xbox, but I don't think we've announced them all. We have to do this in partnership with partners, but we're still on track. I feel really good. The games look great."

"Some of the games hold up really well; some of them don't," he added. "But the gameplay mechanics and the smile [you got] on your face 15 years ago playing those games, those are things that are still there. I see it, like getting back to playing Crimson Skies, [it's] fantastic, and the game actually looks really good even though it's obviously been around."

Spencer said he was confident that the feature would be available before the end of the year. He also teased that the Xbox One X might have something special when it comes to backwards compatibility.

"There's some stuff we're going to talk about in that space in terms of how compatibility's going to work on [Xbox One] X specifically that I think people will find pretty interesting," he said.

Currently, only Crimson Skies and Fusion Frenzy are announced for the service.

It must be really hard but still possible with Microsoft's resources. Xbox emulators do exist, but they are nowhere near what the 360 did anyway.
    As soon as a bone can be BC with all the games that I want namely Tales of Vesperia then I will get one.
    For original Xbox will my discs work? Or as they are calling this a "service" am I to pay to play the games already on my shelf?

I don't have a XBone yet, which is sad as I was a diehard x360 owner. This would put me over the top if I can use my original discs for either the xbox or 360. Have they cleared this up anywhere I could read about?
    I'm surprised it's taken so long to implement. Microsoft was able to emulate the x86 based original xbox architecture atop the PPC based X360 system for the xbox originals program and then was able to emulate a PPC system atop the x86 based XBONE architecture to do x360 backwards compatibility.

I'm not a programmer but I would think running the x86 based original Xbox games atop the x86 based XBONE would be significantly easier than the previous two feats.Edited 1 weeks ago by Iambiz
  • Avatar for Funny_Colour_Blue #5 Funny_Colour_Blue 7 days ago
    I wish XBox was Sony right now.

...I know that's a really weird thing to say, but GODDAMMIT!
  • Avatar for WiIIyTheAntelope #6 WiIIyTheAntelope 7 days ago
    @Broen13 You can use your old 360 discs on the Xbone. It just downloads the game anyways and then your disc basically acts as a license check in that you still need to put it in the machine whenever you want to play it. As for the OG Xbox I don't think they've said one way or another. I would assume it will be similar. That's 100% speculation though, so don't run out and buy one just yet, I'd wait for an official word.
  • Avatar for davidwurzel94 #7 davidwurzel94 7 days ago
    @Broen13 Microsoft has stated that old Xbox discs will, in fact, work.

Which is great because I've got a lot of discs.

Comments