Xbox One Will Still Sell Out on November 22

Despite coming a week after Sony's console, the system should still fly off of store shelves.

News by Mike Williams, .

After months of speculation we finally know when Microsoft will release the Xbox One: November 22. That puts the $499 console just a week after the launch of the PlayStation 4 and a week before Black Friday, the darkest day in consumer history. The system will launch in 13 countries: Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, UK, and the United States.

Most retailers have closed pre-orders on the console, but if you're late to the game Xbox One Day One Editions are still available at Best Buy, Walmart (in-store only), Gamestop, and the Microsoft Store.

Despite the $100 price premium and the week lead the PlayStation 4 has, I don't expect launch day to be rough for the Xbox One. Launch days for both systems will be down to fulfilling pre-orders. I asked Baird Research analyst Colin Sebastian if the week delay would present a problem for Microsoft and he agrees that it shouldn't.

"I would say the one week advantage probably gives Sony a short term PR advantage, but the reality of this launch is that both new platforms will be supply constrained," Sebastian told me. "For Xbox, the important milestone was getting into U.S. stores in time for Black Friday and the Thanksgiving weekend. If there were unlimited supplies, then the price difference would matter more."

Microsoft has largely dug itself out of the hole it created with the first Xbox One reveal. Hardcore Xbox fans had already pre-ordered the system, and those or the fence began to change over were Microsoft reversed course on the always-online DRM. There's now a sense of parity between the two consoles, with Redditors coming down on both sides. Some are buying the Xbox One, some buying are the PS4, and some are buying both, but choosing one console as their first purchase.

"I have Day One editions of both consoles pre-ordered, but like other people, I may not keep both. I feel like the Sony and the PS4 offer more value to me as a gamer. They have more exclusives that I want to play, interesting innovations in the works (game streaming service), and the lower price coupled with the controller redesign has me really leaning towards a PS4 right now," said Redditor SuperDave21.

"I had both pre-ordered, cancelled my PS4 pre-order and paid off the XB1," added user J-Gets. "Wish I could have both at launch, but I can't, and the XB1 exclusives for the next year spoke more to me (Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, Quantum Break.) Plus, with the non-gaming features/home theater integration aspects, it was easier to get my wife on board with XB1."

It's a far cry from the clear lead in mindshare that Sony had at E3. The real battle will be during this holiday season and the first quarter of next year. That will be when both consoles begin to find solid footing and stake their claims on the market heading into next year's E3.

Related Tags

Microsoft

Reporting on comments from random Reddit users is not something USGamer should be proud of, or do again in the future. If you want to argue about a shift in mindshare, you need more than that to support it.

There are at least 19 countries not mentioned in the article where there is no sense of parity between the two consoles.
    I think its pretty safe to say that through Christmas both will sell out. I am interested to see, just because I have seen how the recession has impacted my friends how much they are able to sell without the desire to place the box under the tree.
  • Avatar for elsieparoubek #3 elsieparoubek 3 years ago
    If you are judging by Reddit. Then 27,812 subs for PS4 to 13,512 for Xbone.Edited September 2013 by elsieparoubek
    @Feanor The comments are there to give a feel for what the internet is saying about the console and its new release date.
    The backlash against Microsoft has not died down completely, but the perception of the Xbox One has improved significantly. I agree with@Thusian, both systems are very likely to sell out on Christmas (and who emerges as the “victor” of the Holiday period will depend mostly on supply issues), but it will be interesting to see how the demand continues during the first months of next year.
  • Avatar for Captain-Gonru #6 Captain-Gonru 3 years ago
    @Thusian I know we've agreed on the recession angle of this before, and am still holding out on my Wii U judgements until after these two launch. And, as I've mentioned on Twitter, my local Target (finally) sold out of PS4 reserves about three days after they were made available in-store (Sunday, August 25th). XBoxOne, meanwhile, still has reservation cards left unsold. Now, whether this is a bad omen for XBox (not many people want you) or Target (no one thinks of you and games in the same context), I'm not sure. Just reporting the facts.
    Outside of the US (UK for example), the XBox has a week lead over the PS4.

If you read the Internet I would say the PS4 has the lead, but I have a feeling it will work out pretty evenly.Edited September 2013 by Jonny5Alive7
    @MHWilliams That's not a good measuring stick. What people actually have per-ordered is. I went to VG Chartz and found this. http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251266/ps4-vs-xbox-one-pre-order-totals-to-august-24th-2013/. According to the link. The PS4 has double the reserves the X1 has. That doesn't mean everyone is going to pick one up, but looking at the numbers as of August 24th, I'd say that the PS4 has a marginal lead on the X1.
    @bigdsweetz Everyone that actually follows the gaming industry knows that VGcharts is a joke. Their numbers are ALWAYS inaccurate. They don't even account for online pre-orders placed through the Microsoft Store or directly from the Xbox 360 dashboard. Honestly, I prefer Xbox but I believe that both consoles will be well built, well performing machines. I'm getting an X1 on Day One and I plan to save up for a PS4 early next year. So, I am no fanboy. I'm just pointing out that you should find a more accurate source than VGcharts before you start throwing around numbers.
    @davidmccann So then, what do you find to be a credible yard stick and we can hash this out that way. I gave you where I get my info from. I'm always up to learn something new. BTW, quick stab at google pulls this.

On Amazon you can't even put a pre-order in for ANY of the PS4's. Not bashing, but until you show me something that says otherwise, I'm going to have to stick with VG Charts. Once again, I've got a Xbox 360 and PS3 right now and I will be getting both in the future. But as it stands right now, the Xbox 1/PS4 reservations game is pretty one sided and it leans heavily into Sony's corner.

Comments