Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct Presentation Reveals DLC, Relevant Costume for Link in Breath of the Wild

He who has the biggest pants, saves Hyrule.

News by Nadia Oxford, .

Today's Nintendo Direct presentation for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the Nintendo Switch confirms this upcoming RPG is stuffed to the brim with characters, a complex story, and a deep battle system—all the stuff that makes previously-released Xenoblade games (and the original Xenoblade Chronicles specifically) cult classics.

But wait! There's more! Toward the end of the presentation, Nintendo revealed an "Expansion Pass" for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The $29.99 USD pass, which is available for pre-purchase today (like the game itseslf), will add new content to the game through next fall.

The pass gives you access to:

• Support items (December 2017)
  • New quests for the main game (January 2018)
  • A new rare blade (Spring 2018)
  • A new challenge battle mode (Summer 2018)
  • A new story-based adventure (Fall 2018)

The additional content is a single DLC pack; you can't buy the downloads separately. However, a free day-one download will give you the Japanese voice track if you want it.

The Direct presentation had one particularly surprising revelation: If you own The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, you'll be able to access a side-quest wherein Link acquires an outfit inspired by the hero of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Rex. If you want to turn Link into a delightfully doofy anime character with very big pants, you can access the side-quest on November 9.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 comes to the Nintendo Switch on December 1.

yesss!!! this game is the reason I got a Switch. So excited to play it.
    The expansion pass kind of sucks but the game and some of the characters look good. Hmm I don't think I will be able to get Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at launch but will probably get the DLC then.
  • Avatar for donkeyintheforest #3 donkeyintheforest 15 days ago
    Pretty excited for this game! So glad to be able to take it with me on the go.

But are there any 1st party nintendo games with even a release window after Xenoblade Chonicles 2?
    This looks really good. The costumes still bother me, but the environments, concept and battle system all look really cool. I like how Xenoblade has basically just become individual games that share some core concepts.

I'll pick this one up for sure. I still think Xenoblade on the Wii is one of the best RPGs I've played, and just seeing the party running through those environments is giving me similar feelings.

They just need to learn how to design pants. Like, what the heck?
    Oooh it comes out just in time to play after a massive exam if I'm willing to burn some phone data. The perfect bus ride home.

@NiceGuyNeon didn't you get the memo. In this culture pants are a way to demonstrate your class. Only nobles are permitted sensible pants.
  • Avatar for SatelliteOfLove #6 SatelliteOfLove 15 days ago
    And your reward is ugly clothes.
    @link6616 Ah, I see. Obviously it would be the peasantry who wear assless pants.
    I'm excited but wish they didn't spoil the Pyra part. I really liked Xenoblade 1 and X might be one of my favorite open world games (haven't touched Zelda so there's a chance that will take that spot). Just happy to be enjoying Mario while waiting for this to come out.
    I’m not a fan of the expansion pass (for that matter, why can’t Nintendo just let us buy the damned DLC packs individually?), but the rest of the game looks fantastic.

If I manage to get a Switch this year, I will go for this one and Super Mario Odyssey.

I also hope that after this game, Monolith considers developing a direct sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles X. That game ended with some pretty blatant sequel hooks.

Comments