Zelda: Breath of the Wild's First DLC Lets You Get Your Tingle On

Nintendo outlines the first downloadable content for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

News by Mike Williams, .

Nintendo has finally detailed what's available in the first downloadable content pack coming to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild this summer. The Expansion Pass DLC Pack 1 will offer up a Hard Mode for the game as promised. That Hard Mode will bump up enemies by one level of difficulty: what were once Red Bokoblins in Normal Mode become Blue Bokoblins, for example. Enemies also regain health, meaning you have to defeat them quickly.

Amazing.

A new Horde-style mode, Trial of the Sword, pits Link against waves of enemies without any weapons or equipment. When Link tackles one room, he moves onto the next, with around 45 rooms in total. Finishing the Trial unlocks "the true power of the Master Sword".

There's Hero's Path mode, which allows you to see your exact path for the last 200 hours of play. Nintendo believes this will help folks see where they haven't been in Hyrule, opening up new places to explore. There's also the Travel Medallion, which creates a fast travel point anywhere on the map. You can only have one spot registered with the Medallion, and you have to find it in first place.

The biggest new edition in the first DLC pack is the new costumes, many of which recall previous games in the Legend of Zelda franchise. Tingle's Outfit is the highlight, a three-piece ensemble that will make you look like the true greatest hero of Hyrule. Majora's Mask is the eponymous mask from the N64 title. There's also Midna's Helmet from Twilight Princess and the Phantom Armor from the Wind Waker series. Finally, there's the Korok Mask, which not only gives you an odd Korok face, but also vibrates when you're near a hidden Korok.

The announcement of the DLC pack comes alongside the release of Breath of the Wild patch 1.2.0. This update adds a voice toggle to the game, allowing you to listen to a different voice track - English, Japanese, French (France), French (Canada), German, Spanish (Spain), Spanish (Latin America), Italian and Russian - from the onscreen text. Prior to now, ssetting your language on the Switch system level would determine the voice and text you'd see in-game. To enable the feature in the Wii U version, players will have to download the Voice Pack from Nintendo eShop.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Expansion Pass is currently available for $19.99, offering you bonus content in the current game and two DLC Packs. The first DLC park is the one detailed above, coming the summer, while the second pack is supposed to add a new dungeon and story content this Holiday.

I felt kind of aimless after I finished the main story but I've still only explored 25% of the map. I think this should do the trick to bring me back in.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the price tag is only $20. Granted Hero's Path seems more like it should be a free patch for everyone.
    I kind of want them to add new shrines. Maybe not for health or stamina but like I've done all 120 and they are my fave part of the adventure. New costumes are fun too and that Cave of Trials sounds fun too. Hard mode would be good to have. I'm curious if it'll have any effect on my main dude Ganon. Because I've fought him like 3 times lol a harder fight would be great to have.
    I was waiting for the new hard mode before starting a new playthrough... but I'm too afraid now.
    Feeling better about that price tag now.
    A Tingle costume is literally the best thing they could have possibly added. I'm stoked.
    Some of the initial DLC isn't really appealing to me, but I'd really love to download the story expansion. Too bad they're packaged into one price. :(
    Disappointing hard mode. It sounds like it will just make enemies take more hits, which is kinda pointless since you can just pause the game and heal up at any time. It would've been more interesting if it for example made it so that the game is not paused while browsing the inventory and some other things like that. Things that actually force you to play differently.Edited May 2017 by hiptanaka
    I only have two complaints with the game

1) Please combine the scope and camera so I can leave powers bound to the shoulder button. Also instead of hold up why not just hold L to select the powers?

2) Enemy variety. The one area the game is a bit disappointing is discovering new areas doesn't involve discovering new enemies!
    @himuradrew ...one pretty reasonable price
    @hiptanaka I see what you are saying but think they have done a bit more than they might by adding a different mix of enemies and elsewhere they make mention that there may be a new tier of enemy.
    The heroes trail thing is kind of weird to put behind a pay wall, since it's the kind of quality of life thing you'd expect to see in a free update. Even hard mode has been a thing that most recent Zelda games have had included for free, but at the same time, $20 is very reasonable, especially when you consider that also includes the story DLC coming this winter too.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #12 The-Challenger 5 months ago
    I hope that stupid Tingle outfit provides a useful benefit to the player. Like, "rupee vision", or something...
    @apoc_reg Sure, on the surface it changes more than it could have, but it still just amounts to "enemies have more HP". It won't give enough of a new spin for me to replay the game. I was hoping the hard mode would double down on the survival aspects of the game. Anyway, the second DLC sounds more likely to pull me back in.Edited May 2017 by hiptanaka
    @The-Challenger Replace your gilder with a giant balloon.
  • Avatar for Mixingmetaphorsoup #15 Mixingmetaphorsoup 5 months ago
    That Phantom armor is preeeety cool.
  • Avatar for The-Challenger #16 The-Challenger 5 months ago
    @Roto13 Now we're talkin'.
    Ok, frankly this first DLC really does not look very interesting. Will there be additional content with scripted quests or we will only have DLCs of this kind?

______________________________________________