There are a fair few weapons in Death Stranding, outside the conventional firearms, but it'll take you a fair while to unlock them. You'll start off with the simple Bola Gun, but you'll quickly gain hold of assault rifles, handguns, and other firearms. In this Death Stranding weapons guide, we'll be providing you with all the prerequisites for unlocking every weapon in the game.
Throughout Death Stranding, you'll unlock various weapons as you progress through the story, undertaking various orders from different clients. Below, we've detailed a brief list of all the weapons in the game.
- Bola Gun - A single shot gun that fires out a wire to ensnare enemies.
- Handgun - A semi automatic handgun with lethal rounds.
- Anti-BT Handgun - A version of the handgun that's lethal to BTs only.
- Assault Rifle - A rapid-fire rifle capable of hitting targets from a long distance.
- Non-Lethal Assault Rifle - A modified version of the regular assault rifle that fires out rubber bullets.
- Shotgun - A semi automatic weapon that fires a burst of pellets.
- Riot Shotgun - A non-lethal version of the regular shotgun.
- Grenade Launcher - A semi automatic weapon that fires auto-detonating grenades from a distance.
- Remote-Controlled Grenade Launcher - A version of the regular grenade launcher, where rounds fired can be detonated after launch.
- Quadruple Rocket Launcher - A powerful rocket launcher that can fire four individual rockets before needing to reload.
How to Unlock Weapons
But at the beginning of the game, you'll start out with absolutely no weapons available. You'll need to journey through the world to unlock the firearms we've listed above, and in the table below, we'll detail the stages of the game at which the various weapons unlock.
|Weapon||How to Unlock|
|Bola Gun||Complete the first mission for the Craftsman in the Central Region|
|Handgun||Reach South Knot City and Owen Southwick|
|Anti-BT Handgun||Reach South Knot City and Owen Southwick|
|Assault Rifle||Complete the first delivery to South Knot City|
|Non-Lethal Assault Rifle||Complete Order 42 to Mountain Knot City|
|Shotgun||Complete the Camera Order from the Photographer|
|Riot Shotgun||Complete the Camera Order from the Photographer|
|Grenade Launcher||Complete Order 61 to the Evo-Devo Biologist|
|Remote-Controlled Grenade Launcher||Reach Edge Knot City through the Tar Belt|
|Quadruple Rocket Launcher||Reach Edge Knot City through the Tar Belt|
How to Upgrade Weapons
Some weapons can be upgraded. You won't be upgrading the weapon itself, but you'll instead unlock an upgrade version of the weapon. Below, we've rounded up all the upgraded weapons you can unlock, and how to unlock each one.
- Bola Gun level 2 - Attain three stars with the Craftsman in Central Region.
- Handgun level 2 - Attain three stars with Owen Southwick at South Knot City.
- Assault Rifle level 2 - Complete Order 43 at the Distribution Center north of Mountain Knot City.
- Non-Lethal Assault Rifle level 2 - Complete Order 43 at the Distribution Center north of Mountain Knot City.
- Assault Rifle level 3 - Attain three stars with Aaron Hill at Mountain Knot City.
- Non-Lethal Assault Rifle level 3 - Attain three stars with Aaron Hill at Mountain Knot City.
- Shotgun level 2 - Attain three stars with the Photographer.
- Riot Shotgun level 2 - Attain four stars with the Photographer.