Far Cry 5 offers a massive map for you to cause mayhem in, as you lead your resistance against the forces of Joseph Seed and his followers. In this Far Cry 5 tips page, we'll be walking you through everything you need to know to get started with the open world game, in our complete Far Cry 5 beginner's guide.
For more on Far Cry 5, head over to our Far Cry 5 Everything we Know page. Over there you'll find info on all the different editions of the game you can buy, general game info, and details on the characters you'll find in the game.
Far Cry 5 Guides
- How to get the Dog in Far Cry 5 - Boomer Location and Quest Guide - Boomer Skills
- How to get the Cat in Far Cry 5 - Peaches Location and Quest Guide - Peaches Skills
- How to get the Bear in Far Cry 5 - Cheeseburger Location and Quest Guide - Cheeseburger Skills
- Far Cry 5 Arcade - How to Create and Edit Maps, Best Arcade Maps to Play
- Far Cry 5 Perks - Best Perks to Unlock and how to Earn Perk Points
- Far Cry 5 Guns for Hire Guide - Which Recruits are the Best - How to Unlock New Recruits
- Far Cry 5 Fishing Guide - How to Unlock Fishing - All Fishing Locations
- Far Cry 5 Prepper Stashes Guide - How to Find an Solve all Prepper Stashes
- Far Cry 5 Crafting Guide - How to Craft Explosives and Homeopathics
- Far Cry 5 Weapon Upgrades and Explosive Upgrades - How to Unlock Sticky Bombs and Prestige Weapons
- Far Cry 5 Vehicles Guide - Where to Find a Helicopter and Plane, How to Purchase a Car and Boat
- Far Cry 5 Silos Guide - Where to Find Every Silo, How to Destroy Silos
- Far Cry 5 Outposts Guide - How to Liberate and Destroy Cultist Outposts
- Far Cry 5 Cheeseburger Bobblehead Guide - Where to Find all Cheeseburger Bobbleheads
- Far Cry 5 Live Events Guide - How to Complete the Well Done Challenge
- Far Cry 5 Live Events Guide - How to Complete the Arcade Dawn Challenge
Liberate Cult Outposts and Earn Resistance Points in Far Cry 5
After a brief opening, Far Cry 5 opens up into a sprawling open world action game, with the game map split into three regions: Jacob's region of Whitetail Mountains, Faith's region of Henbane River, and John's region of Holland Valley. Each of these regions has its own set of missions, cult outposts to liberate, cult properties to destroy, and specialists to recruit.
While you'll see Jacob, Faith, and John at various points in Far Cry 5, you'll only get to take them on once you reach level 4 in each region. This level is determined by your resistance points total in each region, which increases each time you make a meaningful impact against the cult (by completing the tasks mentioned above).
How to Fight Joseph, Cult Leader, in Far Cry 5
Joseph, the cult leader in Far Cry 5, makes quite the impression at the start of the game, but you don't actually get to go up against him until you've put in a lot of work elsewhere. To force a confrontation with Joseph at the cult compound you first have to defeat his heralds: Jacob, Faith, and John. Do this and you'll set up the final encounter.
How to Build Resistance Points in Far Cry 5
There are numerous ways to build up Resistance points and increase your overall Resistance level in Far Cry 5. We've listed them for you below:
- Complete missions
- Liberate a cult outpost
- Destroy cult property
- Kill a cult VIP (special symbol above their head)
- Capture trucks
- Free hostages
- Help resistance members
- Helo civilians
How to Liberate Cult Outposts for Maximum Reward
Cult outposts are essentially strongholds for the cult that you'll come across in Far Cry 5. It's perfectly possible to head into a cult outpost all-guns-blazing, trying to blow the enemy away, but doing so will immediately alert guards and alarms will be raised.
If you can liberae a cult outpost without being detected (no alarms raised), you'll be rewarded with more money when you finish the job. In order to do this you're going to have to be stealthy. Stay crouched and in bushes as much as possible and only use melee takedowns (approach an enemy from behind). Stealth is the key here. You can also disable alarms (there are three in each outpost), which is help you move through undetected.
We won't lie: liberating an outpost without raising an alarm is hard. This is down to how tricky it is to remain hidden in Far Cry 5. The stealth system isn't the best, but pay attention to the white and black curved bars that indicate an enemy has noticed you. The more this fills, they closer they are to being fully alerted. You can also use stealthy recruits to help you out. Jess Black and Peaches are excellent at staying hidden, so go with them if you've unlocked them.
How to Play Far Cry 5 Coop with Friends
Far Cry 5's campaign and Arcade modes can be played cooperatively with friends on PS4, Xbox One, PC (although there is no cross-platform play). In order to get a friend in your game, head to the tabs menu (the one with the map on) and scroll to the Online tab. From here you can choose "Invite Friends" and bring up a screen that lets you invite other players to the game. From this tab you can also access Far Cry Arcade and the Far Cry 5 Live Events.
When playing Far Cry 5 campaign coop it's worth noting that the host is the only player who will have player and mission progress saved. The invited player functions as a real life gun for hire, so World Progression, Reputation, and Quest related unlocks are not saved once the guest leaves the coop session.
How to Open Cages in Far Cry 5
At various points in Far Cry 5 you'll come across cages that either have animals for civilians inside. The cult members have imprisoned them, but you can set them free (and kill for skins in the case of animals) by unlocking the cages. There is no button to unlock a cage. To unlock a cage you must shoot or hit the strap holder on the side of the cage. Do this and the cage will snap open.