Fishing in Far Cry 5 is almost an entire game in itself, there’s so much to unlock and uncover. In this Far Cry 5 Fishing guide, we’ll be walking you through how to unlock fishing, as well as how to catch fish, all on top of how to unlock the easiest Fishing Perks and beat the Far Cry 5 Fishing Records in the game.
If you need anything else on Far Cry 5, including how to liberate outposts all across the map, as well as how to build up your own resistance army to take down The Father, head over to our Far Cry 5 guides hub.
Far Cry 5 Fishing
To embark on fishing trips in Far Cry 5, you’ll firstly need to complete the entire opening section of the game, in which The Father thwarts the plans of you and your crew. Then you’ll need to liberate Dutch’s island, but once this introductory section of the game is done, the vast map of Far Cry 5 is yours to explore at your leisure.
You can’t simply fish anywhere in Far Cry 5—you’ll need to find a precise fishing spot on the map, on the bank of a river, and uncover a fishing rod for yourself. We’d recommend taking a boat from the western banks of Dutch’s island, up to the north to Jacob’s territory. You’ll want to head up the main river that runs through Jacob’s land, and on your right you’ll see a shop vendor fishing, marked by a green dollar sign above his head.
Hop off your boat, and you’ll find that the spot the vendor is occupying is also a Bull Trout fishing spot, where you can pick up the fishing rod sticking out of the ground, and claim it for your own. Now cycle over to the fishing rod in your inventory by holding down the left bumper and then pressing right bumper, and face the water, where you can hold down the right trigger to begin fishing.
How to Fish in Far Cry 5
To begin fishing, you’ll want to face the Bull Trout fishing spot (or any other that you’ve managed to uncover on the Far Cry 5 map), with your fishing rod in hand, and hold down the right trigger to cast your line. Release the trigger at any point, and your line will go flying out into the water. Now, tap the left trigger periodically to slowly draw the bait back towards the shore, and you’ll eventually get a fish to bite down on the bait, indicated by when your controller vibrates.
You’ll now want to press the right trigger as quickly as possible, to hook the fish, and begin drawing it back towards you. For this next part of actually catching the fish, you’ll need to hold down the left trigger, and push the right analog stick in the opposite direction that the fish swims. You’ll now tire out the fish, pulling it all the way to the shore where you can claim it for your own, and either sell it or give it to Cheeseburger the bear.
As for why you’d want to actually go to the effort of fishing in the first place, you can sell all your fish at any vendor in the game, and often for a decent amount. The Chinooks will sell for $100 each for example, which is a great way to make some easy money, if you’re in need of purchasing a few Medical Kits or ammunition to keep you going.
Far Cry 5 Fishing Challenges and Perks
If you press either the touch pad on the Dualshock 4, or the select button on the Xbox One controller, you can scroll over to the Challenges tab with the bumper buttons. If you then head over to the Hunting tab within the Challenges, you’ll see at the very bottom of the page that there are Challenges relating to every different type of fish in Far Cry 5, including: Bull Trout, Kokanees, Arctic Graylings, Golden Trout, Rock Bass, Smallmouths, Largemouths, Lake Trout, Rainbow Trout, Chinooks, Pallid Sturgeons, and Paddlefish.
Once you’ve completed any of these challenges, which are done by simply catching one of each type of fish, you’ll unlock a Perk Point, which you can then spend over in the Perks tab of the menu. In the very top-most row of the Survivalist category, you’ll see that you can unlock the Fisher King Perk using four Perks Points, which will cause fish to tire quicker while you’re reeling them in, as well as unlocking new types of flies for heavier fish. You can equip new types of flies to your rod by pressing Triangle/Y before you cast the line out into the water, and you’ll need more powerful flies if you want to catch bigger fish, for Cheeseburger or for simply selling.
Far Cry 5 Fishing Locations
Just below, we’ll outline the easiest fishing locations to get to in Far Cry 5, when you’re starting out from Dutch’s Island at the beginning of the game.
- Kokanee Salmon - You can find a fishing spot, along with a vendor, directly to the north west of Dutch’s Island, north of Clagett Bay and Elk Jaw Lodge.
- Bull Trout - We mentioned this location previously, but it’s directly north from Dutch’s Island and into the main river that runs up into Jacob’s territory, which eventually turns into the Moccassin River.
- Chinook Salmon - You can either find a more secluded fishing spot for the Chinook as part of Cheeseburger’s quest, or you can find it west and a little bit south of the FANG Center, on the Moccassin River.
Far Cry 5 Kokanee Salmon Locations
Just below, you can find all the fishing locations for Kokanee Salmon in Far Cry 5, most of which are mainly featured in the northern part of the map, which belongs to Jacob.
Far Cry 5 Bull Trout Locations
There are two neat Bull Trout fishing locations just to the south of Dutch’s Island, as well one spot just to the north of the island in Jacob’s territory.
Far Cry 5 Chinook Salmon Locations
As you can see, there are several convenient fishing spots for Chinook Salmon situated right near the FANG Center, where you unlock Cheeseburger the Bear.
Far Cry 5 Golden Trout Locations
The Golden Trout of Far Cry 5 are mainly located in the center of the Far Cry 5 map, right around the compound from which you first start out the entire game.
Far Cry 5 Rainbow Trout Locations
The Rainbow Trout are mainly located in John’s region of the game, and you can find three spots fairly close to one another in the northern parts of the area.
Far Cry 5 Pallid Sturgeon Locations
There are two handy Pallid Sturgeon fishing locations right around the Lamb of God Church in the bottom left area of John’s region, situated on the river that snakes around the church itself.
Far Cry 5 Lake Trout Locations
There are two Lake Trout locations fairly near to Joseph’s compound in the middle of the map, but otherwise you’ll have to venture far north to find another fishing spot.
Far Cry 5 Paddlefish Sturgeon Locations
All the Paddlefish Sturgeon fishing points in Far Cry 5 are located in the southern area of John’s region, situated near the Lamb of God Church and Fall’s End.
Far Cry 5 Rock Bass Locations
All the Rock Bass fishing spots are found in Faith’s region, and you can find two fairly close together on the banks of the southern river.
Far Cry 5 Largemouth Bass Locations
You’ll want to hit up the eastern edge of Faith’s region for the Largemouth Bass, as you can find two fishing points in the river that runs along the eastern edge of the map.
Far Cry 5 Smallmouth Bass Locations
There are various fishing points for the Smallmouth Bass in Far Cry 5, all of which are situated on the rivers in Faith’s region.
Far Cry 5 Fishing Records
In all three regions of Far Cry 5, you can find a notice board which will challenge you to catch different sizes of certain types of fish. These Regional Boards can be found in Fall’s End, Hope’s Den, and Hope County Jail, and as you can see just below, each board details all the current size records for each type of fish out there in the wild.
Once you’ve seen the Regional Board, you’ll then have to venture out into the wilds of Far Cry 5 and catch the biggest fish out there. However, large fish can only be caught at spots that are designed ‘Hard’, unlike the standard fishing spots you find throughout the world. As such, we’ve listed every Hard fishing spot that we’ve uncovered in the wilds so far just below, so you can visit each one and use it to beat the regional fishing record.
Far Cry 5 Hard Fishing Spots Locations
- Chinook Salmon - On the banks of the river directly north west of the FANG Center.
- Golden Trout - Almost dead in the center of Silver Lake, directly west of Drubman Marina, or south of Baron Lumber Mill.
- Chinook Salmon - Head straight up the river that begins from Clagett Bay.
- Rainbow Trout - On the western bank of the river directly in the center of the map of Far Cry 5, directly east from Rae-Rae’s Pumpkin Farm.
- Pallid Sturgeon - Hit the river directly below Rye & Son’s Aviation, and then head east until the river forks, with the fishing spot being on your left.
- Golden Trout - This can be found on the river directly below Rye & Son’s Aviation, and slightly to the west.
- Lake Trout - Start at Rye & Son’s Aviation, and head south west until you hit the section of the river just south of the bridge.
- Paddlefish Sturgeon - Located on the river directly south of Seed Ranch Cult Outpost.
- Rainbow Trout - Found on the eastern shores of Silver Lake, west of Peaches Taxidermy, or south west from Drubman Marina.
- Rock Bass - On the river that bends directly around Hope County Jail, but directly west of the jail itself.
- Largemouth Bass - Head east on the river from Hope County Jail, and you'll find the fishing point on the southern most bend of the river.
- Golden Trout - Keep heading east on the same river from Hope County Jail, and this fishing spot can be found directly east on the map from the jail itself.
- Smallmouth Bass - Found on the eastern edges of the entire map, directly east from Moonflower Trailer Park and next to a Clutch Nixon stunt point.
As you can probably tell from the 'Hard' denotion on the names of the fishing spots listed above in Far Cry 5, the fish are signicantly more challenging to catch in these areas, but they're all larger than the fish you'd find in any other fishing spots. This means that although you'll have to take some decent bait with you to land a few bigger fish, it's worth the effort if you want to beat all the regional fishing records in the game.
Now that we're all done with this guide to fishing in Far Cry 5, why not continue ahead to our additional guides on the game, including our Far Cry 5 Guns for Hire guide, as well as our full guide to unlocking Cheeseburger the Bear.