Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze might have originally released back on the Wii U back in 2013, but it’s out right now for the Nintendo Switch system, re-released by Nintendo for 2018. In this Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze guide, we’ll be guiding you through the various collectibles that the game features, including the KONG Letters, Secret Exits, and the Puzzle Pieces, all on top of our Donkey Kong Country beginner’s guide.
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze Guide
Just below, we’ll start out our Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze guide with a complete collectibles walkthrough of the opening level of Mangrove Cove in the Lost Mangroves World. We’ll divide up the level by type of collectible items, including the KONG Letters, Puzzle Pieces, and more.
Mangrove Cove KONG Letters Locations
- After you first encounter Dodo Birds, you can hop on platforms, which you can then hop up from to grab the first KONG Letter.
- When you first encounter a Red Balloon, hop onto the platform to the right, and keep pushing right, until you’ll see another KONG Letter that can be obtained by launching yourself off the end of a platform.
- In the third Barrel Cannon, the third KONG Letter can be found just on the left path.
- For the final KONG Letter, you’ll need to pick u a Penguin enemy once he’s stunned, and throw him to hit the target, letting you jump up and claim the letter.
Mangrove Cove Puzzle Piece Locations
- The very first time you find yourself in water, swim down and to the left, and you’ll find the first Puzzle Piece near a part of a plane.
- After you’ve landed on and then ridden a Piranha Plant, then rode on a moving platform to the left, slam down onto a platform with a plant on to unveil a Puzzle Piece.
- The second time you’re tasked with pulling a ring out of the ground, a group of bananas will follow said ring. If you can grab all the bananas before they vanish, you’ll reveal another Puzzle Piece.
- After an area where platforms drop down on you, there’ll be another Piranha Plant. Wait for it to rise, then slam into the ground under it to reveal a Puzzle Piece.
- After you’ve met Diddy Kong, use his jetpack to jump up from the Piranha Plant, and look to the left to see a platform with another Puzzle Piece.
- While you’re in the second Barrel Cannon, you’ll see items floating around you, one of which is the Puzzle Piece. You need to launch yourself at the exact time to claim the Puzzle Piece on your way.
- When several tutorial pigs start throwing banana bunches at you, you’ll need to collect all of them to unlock another Puzzle Piece.
- A Puzzle Piece can be found in the sole Secret Room of the Mangrove Cove level (check below for further details).
- At the Barrel Cannon that signals the end of the level, you can jump over a spike pit on your right. Pull a ring out of the ground to unveil the final Puzzle Piece.
Mangrove Cove Secret Room Location
To find the Secret Room, you need to obtain the final KONG Letter ‘G’ by throwing penguin at a target. If you platform up the left platforms after landing on the KONG Letter, you’ll find a Barrel Cannon that’ll fire you into the Secret Room.
This might bring an end to our introductory collectibles guide for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, but check out our list of additional level guides just below, which we'll be expanding on over the coming days:
- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze Shipwreck Shore Guide
- Donkey Kong Conutry Tropical Freeze Canopy Chaos Guide
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze Beginner’s Guide
For the uninitiated, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a sold scrolling platformer, where characters including the titular Donkey Kong himself, as well as Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, and Funky Kong and more take on a variety of levels in different themed levels.
In Tropical Freeze, you’ll have to platform your way throughout the various different levels throughout the game, avoiding traps and trials along the way. There are seven total ‘Worlds’ in Tropical Freeze, each with at least ten levels, and each world always concludes in a boss battle. Donkey Kong Country isn’t exactly an easy game, and it might take some time to get adjusted to, but read on for how to get a little helping hand.
Tropical Freeze is basically the exact same game in 2018 for the Nintendo Switch as it was back in 2013 for the Wii U, with one main exception: Funky Kong. This smooth Kong features in his own ‘Funky Mode’, which is basically the easy mode of Tropical Freeze. In Funky Mode you’ll not only play as Funky Kong, but also have extended hearts (lives), as well as infinite stamina for breathing underwater.
Without further ado, we’ll list all the various collectible items you can find in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, as well as what their function is:
- Bananas - Collect 100 Bananas to obtain a Red Balloon.
- Banana Coins - Use these to purchase items from Funky’s Fly ‘N’ Buy store.
- Heart - One Heart obtained equals one lost heart restored for your character.
- Red Balloons - Basically functioning as extra lives, the Red Balloons can be found or purchased in Funky’s Fly ‘N’ Buy.
- KONG Letters - Collect all four KONG Letters to spell out the word in each level, and you’ll unlock hidden stages, but you’ll have to obtain all four in one level playthrough.
- Puzzle Pieces - Collect all the Puzzle Pieces in a level to unlock art.
- Golden Hearts - Only obtained by using Dixie Kong’s Kong Pow move near an enemy, these allow the Kongs to take a hit without losing a heart.
This might be the conclusion of our Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze walkthrough, but keep an eye on this guide, as we’ll be updating it with further details as we make it deeper into the various Worlds.