In this Madden 18 Ultimate Team guide, we'll be going over all the essential Madden 18 MUT tips you need in order to go about building your ideal team with the best Madden 18 players available. After this guide, you'll know which players to go for as soon as you start Madden 18's Ultimate Team mode.
Should you need anything else relating to this iteration of Madden, be sure to head over to our Madden 18 tips and tricks guides hub, containing info on the best offensive and defensive playbooks in the game, as well as the best player in every position.
Madden 18 Ultimate Team Guide
In the Madden 18 Ultimate Team guide below, you'll find Madden 18 MUT tips and tricks to earn coins as quickly as possible with minimum effort, as well as guides on which playbooks you should ideally be going after on the MUT market first, as well as other general info on mastering Madden 18's Ultimate Team mode.
But first, if you need a quick list of contents for this Madden 18 Ultimate Team guide, then look no further:
- Madden 18 MUT Squads Guide
- Madden 18 Best MUT Offensive Players
- Madden 18 Best MUT Defensive Players
- Madden 18 Best MUT Budget Players
- Madden 18 Player Upgrades Guide
- Madden 18 Team Leaders Guide
- Madden 18 MUT Team of the Week Guide
- Madden 18 MUT Hero Player Upgrades Guide
- Madden 18 MUT Most Feared Players Guide
Madden 18 MUT Tips and Tricks
Firstly, one new addition to Madden 18 Ultimate Team this year is levels within the mode. You earn XP towards levelling up with each game that you win (no matter if it's against another player or in a solo challenge), and you also earn XP based on your in-game performances, for example how many yards you rushed or threw for.
For each level that you gain, you'll be rewarded with certain bonuses. Sometimes you'll be given MUT coins, and occasionally you'll be allowed to purchase a Level Master Pack for 250 MUT coins in the store. The contents of the Level Master Pack are never guaranteed, but when we advanced from level 3 to 4, our Level Master Pack contained the base version of LaDainian Tomlinson, along with a collectible item that can go towards upgrading the card.
Outside of this, there's also new details to the Madden 18 Ultimate Team Chemistry section within the 'adjust lineup' section. If you click on the right analog stick when in this section of Madden 18 Ultimate Team, you'll bring up the list shown just below, where you can see the bonuses you've earned for your MUT team, by having players from the same team in your starting lineup. This is a great way to obtain some handy stat boosts for your Ultimate Team lineup right out of the gate.
It might actually be a good idea to try out the brand new Madden 18 Longshot mode before you delve headfirst into the Ultimate Team. This is because you can earn Longshot cards for use in Ultimate Team through playing Longshot, all of which are a cut above the starting players you're given. You can see two Longshot cards earned just above - Dan Marino and Chad Johnson - that are clearly the standout players in the team.
You'll also be given access to special Longshot challenges in Ultimate Team, depending on how far you've made it through the Longshot mode. For each act of Longshot you complete (there are 3 in total), you'll be able to access a Longshot challenge in the 'solo challenges' section of Ultimate Team, which can reward you with MUT coins and players.
Madden 18 Ultimate Team How to Earn Coins Quickly
Although you earn the aforementioned Level Master Packs through playing Solo Challenges and levelling up, you can also earn coins through the same Solo Challenges. Why would you want to prioritise earning coins over everything else? Well, coins are the key to success in Madden 18 Ultimate Team, as you can use them to not only bid and purchase players on the MUT market, but you can also purchase select Ultimate Team card packs with coins, as you can see just below.
As boring as it may sound, your best bet for earning coins as you soon as you start Ultimate Team is to simply complete all the tutorials you're given. In less than 20 minutes you can earn 3500+ coins through solo challenges and tutorial objectives, which is enough to buy a Silver Player Pack, netting you 4 Silver or better player cards right away.
Outside of this, there's an objectives screen within Ultimate Team, which you can see just below, that will reward you with coins for completing certain tasks. There are four objectives in the list below, which include 'win 2 games' and 'complete a set' in the item binder, and you can bag yourself 3,000 coins if you complete the list before 5am EST each day.
How to Earn Coins in Madden 18 Ultimate Team
Below, we've got some quick tips and tricks on how to both earn and hold onto your Madden 18 MUT coins:
- Buy players on Saturday morning when everyone is typically ripping through packs and flooding the auction house, then sell these players in the middle of the week when they're more expensive.
- As we mentioned earlier, completing Longshot allows you to take on the Longshot solo challenges, which can reward you with both coins and players.
- Never buy packs with coins - it's always better to save your coins for the most ideal players that are in the auction house.
- Player counts drop hard around midnight/1am, and it's here that you can usually find some quality players going for cheaper than they normally would do.
- Always keep the sets in mind, as these can be completed with cards you no longer use for some good players and a decent amount of coins.
- Buy up Special Events player (Most Feared, Thanksgiving, Winter) when they're cheap, and sell them for huge profits when their corresponding event kicks off.
- If you've got packs saved up, or if you're thinking about purchasing some, it's best to wait until Team of the Week and 24 Hour players go live around Thursday.
Madden 18 Ultimate Team Best Team Playbooks
Below, we'll run down the best offensive and defensive playbooks that you should look out for on the Madden 18 Ultimate Team marketplace, as soon as have some coins to spend in order to buy them.
Best Madden 18 Ultimate Team Offensive Playbooks
- Oakland Raiders - The Raiders playbook might well be the best that Madden 18 has to offer, boasting a variety of run and pass plays, most of which give your receivers the ability to cut and lose their pursuing defenders.
- New England Patriots - Not much has changed from previous iterations of Madden, as the offensive playbook of the Patriots is once again one of the best in the game. You might think that this playbook is skewed more heavily towards the pass with Brady at the helm, but it balances out nicely with some solid run plays.
- New Orleans Saints - The Saints playbook arguably excels more at running than it does at passing, providing running backs with some great blocking formations. Rest assured that there are some nice passing plays to be found here, especially in the Shotgun formations.
- Seattle Seahawks - The offensive playbook for the Seahawks looks to take advantage of the mobile threat of Russell Wilson, so if you have a fairly mobile QB on top of a solid running back, then this might be the playbook for you.
Best Madden 18 Ultimate Team Defensive Playbooks
- Oakland Raiders - The Raiders also have a pretty solid defensive playbook, excelling at virtually everything through both the 3-4 and 4-3 formations, as well as having an even mix of coverage and blitz plays for every situation.
- New England Patriots - Nothing new here, as the Patriots are once again back near the top for the best defensive playbook, just like they are on the offensive side of the ball. You can find the 3-4, 4-3, Nickel, Big Dime, and Quarter formations all within this playbook, meaning New England's scheme can suit you no matter what you need.
- Seattle Seahawks - The Seattle defensive playbook tends to bring pressure more from the edge than from the middle, revolving around pass rush duo Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril. There are solid blitzes littered throughout this playbook, as well as some solid zone and man coverage to back it up.
Madden 18 MUT Squads Tips
The playbooks aren't the only thing that's mixed up in this year's Madden, as there's a brand new mode within Ultimate Team called MUT Squads. Head over to our MUT Squads guide for all the information you need to dominate the competition online.
The next iteration of Madden NFL is on the horizon in late 2018, and for everything you need to know about the upcoming game, make sure to head over to our Madden 19 everything we know guide. Alternatively, you can check out our Madden 19 Ultimate Team guide, where we list all of the changes that EA are making to the popular mode for the next year.