Great news Pokemon GO fans, a new pokemon has appeared. Meltan is a brand new pokemon to the series, having been unveiled in Pokemon GO via a Ditto Glitch. For a while, the new pokemon in Pokemon GO was assumed to be a leak, but it seems that the whole thing was legit from the get go. In this Pokemon GO Meltan Guide, we'll give you all of the info you need to know about the new pokemon. We'll go over how to catch one for yourself, and also what it means for Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu. We'll detail a brand new item called the Mystery Box and reveal how to get Meltan in Pokemon Let's Go.
For more on Pokemon GO be sure to head over to our Pokemon GO Guides Hub. It's filled with a ton of useful guides on Pokemon GO, including a look at how to evolve Eevee, details on the recent Gen 4 update, and more.
Pokemon GO New Pokemon Meltan
The new Pokemon Meltan started to appear in Pokemon GO in late September. Things weren't very clear at first, with players discovering its character model hidden in some Pokemon GO Traffic data. Eventually though, Meltan started to appear in the game for real, though only seemed to turn into a Ditto when caught. Now though, we know some more details on Meltan, Pokemon's new mythical pokemon. We've pulled together everything we know below.
- Meltan is a Brand New Pokemon Which Can be Found in Pokemon Go and Let's Go
- How to Find Meltan in Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee
- Pokemon GO Meltan Mystery Box
- Melmetal - Pokemon Let's Go Meltan Evolution
- How to Get Melmetal in Pokemon GO and Pokemon Let's GO
- Pokemon GO Let's GO Meltan Research Tasks
- Pokemon GO Let's GO Meltan Step 1
- Pokemon GO Let's GO Meltan Step 2
- Pokemon GO Let's GO Meltan Step 3
- Pokemon GO Let's GO Meltan Step 4
- Pokemon GO Let's GO Meltan Step 5
- Pokemon GO Let's GO Meltan Step 6
- Pokemon GO Let's GO Meltan Step 7
- Pokemon GO Let's GO Meltan Step 8
- Pokemon GO Let's GO Meltan Step 9
Meltan is a Steel-type pokemon that is described as follows:
- Most of Meltan's body is made from liquid metal, and its shape is very fluid. It can use its liquid arms and legs to corrode metal and absorb it into its own body.
- Meltan generates electricity using the metal it absorbs from outside sources. It uses this electricity as an energy source and also as an attack that can be fired from its eye.
- Clearly a curious Pokémon, Meltan is very expressive and shows an interest in all kinds of things.
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee are out right now for the Nintendo Switch. Although Meltan features in both versions of the game, it's unfortunately only available to obtain if you link your Pokemon GO account with your Nintendo Switch, and transfer Meltan over. For a full walkthrough of how to do just this, head over to our Pokemon Let's Go transfer guide.
A recent trailer has finally outlined exactly how to get a Meltan in Pokemon Let's GO. A Mystery Box is required, a new item that is received when sending pokemon from Pokemon GO to Let's GO. Once you have the Mystery Box, you can open it to make Meltan appear. Be aware though, that the box will close after a short while, and won't open gain for a set amount of time. Once the time has passed, you just need to send another Pokemon to open it again. You'll get a Mystery Box the first time you send a Pokemon from Pokemon GO to Let's GO, either to your own game or a friend's. You can send Meltan to Let's GO once you've caught it in Pokemon GO.
From a recent trailer, it looks as if the Meltan we've seen so far is not its true form. It has a secret to unveil, and we're pretty sure it's via an evolution. The shadow of this new form can be seen at the end of the trailer below, showing a much larger and more elaborately designed pokemon altogether.
Everything detailed above was confirmed by The Pokemon Company in an update to the original blog post. Melmetal is the evolved form of Meltan, making Meltan the first ever Mythical pokemon to receive an evolution. Melmetal possesses a unique Steel-type physical move called Double Iron Bash. With this powerful move, Melmetal uses the hex nut in its chest like an axle to spin its powerful arms around, dealing a double strike to the opponent. The weight of the heavy hex nuts on its arms combined with this spinning motion give this move extraordinary power. After it hits, it may even make the target flinch.
While Melmetal is a pokemon shared between Pokemon GO and Let's GO, it can only be picked up in the former. If you want to bad yourself a Melmetal, you'll need to evolve Meltan in Pokemon GO. For that you'll need to trade in a whopping 400 Meltan Candies. Once you've got yourself a Melmetal, you can trade it between Pokemon GO and Let's go at your whim.
To celebrate the release of Pokemon Let's GO Eevee and Pikachu, Niantic has launched a brand new research quest for Pokemon GO. It is broken up into nine different steps, each with three seperate objectives to complete. Let's take a look at the full details:
- Spin 5 PokeStops or Gyms (500 XP reward)
- Catch 10 Pokemon (500 XP reward)
- Transfer 5 Pokemon (500 XP reward)
Step 1 Rewards: x1000 Stardust, x10 Poke Balls, 1 Incubator
- Earn 2 Candies walking your Buddy (1000 XP reward)
- Make 10 Great Throws (1000 XP reward)
- Hatch 3 eggs (1000 XP reward)
Step 2 Rewards: x2000 Stardust, x2 Lucky eggs, x1 Fast ™
- Catch a Ditto (1500 XP reward)
- Win 2 Gym Battles (1500 XP reward)
- Battle in two Raids (1500 XP reward)
Step 3 Rewards: x10 Great Balls, x3 Incense, x3 Max Revive
- Catch 5 Steel-type Pokemon (2000 XP reward)
- Catch 5 electric-type Pokemon (2000 XP reward)
- Earn 5 Candies walking with your buddy (2000 XP reward)
Step 4 Rewards: x4000 Stardust, x5 Pinap Berry, x5 Rare Candy
- Evolve a Grimer (2500 XP reward)
- Catch 5 Slugma or Gulpin (2500 XP reward)
- Make 20 Great Throws (2500 XP reward)
Step 5 Rewards: x5000 Stardust, x20 Great Balls, x5 Lure Module
- Evolve a Magnemite (3000 XP reward)
- Catch 5 exeggcute (3000 XP reward)
- Battle in 10 raids (3000 XP reward)
Step 6 Rewards: x1 Silver Pinap Berry, x1 Metal Coat, x10 Ultra Ball
- Evolve 1 Drowzee (3500 XP reward)
- Catch 1 Cubone (3500 XP reward)
- Evolve 1 Scyther (3500 XP reward)
Step 7 Rewards: x10 Ultra Balls, x1 Charged TM, x3 Premium Raid Passes
- Catch 2 Omanyte or Kabuto (4000 XP reward)
- Catch 2 Lileep or Anorith (4000 XP reward)
- Catch an Aerodactyl (4000 XP reward)
Step 8 Rewards: x8000 Stardust, Meltan encounter, x1 Star Piece
- 4500 XP reward
- 4500 XP reward
- 4500 XP reward
Step 9 Rewards: x9000 Stardust, x1 Super Incubator, x5 Meltan Candy
If you're playing Pokemon GO and want some help, we've got plenty of Pokemon Go Guides. Check out that hub or head straight to our individual guide pages. You'll find tips on Pokémon GO Eevee Evolutions , Pokemon GO Trading, and Pokémon GO Ditto List - How To Catch Ditto. There's also a look at the Pokemon GO Celebi Quest Guide. and the latest info on this month's Pokemon GO Community Day. Finally, Smeargle was just added to Pokemon Go, so check out our Pokemon Go Smeargle Guide.