Dead by Daylight is an asymmetrical horror game in which four survivors attempt to escape an area while being hunted down by a killer. It’s basically every slasher movie ever, and features a variety of different hapless survivors to play as. It can all be a little daunting at first, what with all of the mechanics you have to learn in order to stand any sort of chance of escaping. In this Dead by Daylight Survivors Guide, we’ll go over some Survivor Tips and Tricks, give you an idea as to how the mysterious Hatch system works, and also give you a list of all of the survivors you can play as.
We’ll be adding more guides on Dead by Daylight as we spend a little more time with the game, so keep checking back for more info. If you’ve been experiencing issues logging into Dead by Daylight, you’re not alone. You can read all about it in our Dead by Daylight Server Error Guide.
Dead by Daylight Survivor Guide
Escaping the map as a Survivor requires patience, planning and most importantly, teamwork. It’s a careful dance between risk and reward, requiring that you know the basics of what to do if things go wrong in order to survive. In this guide, we’re going to cover these basics, so that you can go into every round of Dead by Daylight with a clear plan in mind.
How to Escape as a Survivor in Dead by Daylight
When playing as a Survivor in Dead by Daylight, your main goal is to escape the area. To do this, you’ll need to work together to open the way out. While trying to do this, you’ll also be avoiding detection, saving each other from the killer, and scavenging for resources. We’ve collected the basics in the following list.
- Your main goal as a survivor is to repair the five generators that are scattered around the map.
- To do this, walk up to them and hit the button that is displayed, you’ll need to hold it and fill the meter.
- For many actions in the game, you’ll be required to complete a skill check, it’s basically hitting a button at the correct time while performing an action.
- Once all five generators are fixed, head to the exit and power up the switch, this will take some time, but once it is open you can escape and leave.
Those are the basics of escaping in Dead by Daylight, but there are a few things you’ll need to know how to do in order to stay alive, and to keep your teammates alive. We’ve collected some additional info on Surviving in Dead by Daylight below:
- If caught by the killer, you will be carried to a hook. You can struggle out of their grip while being carried, but must fill the bar before you are hooked.
- When hooked, your primary goal should be to wait for someone to get you. You can attempt to free yourself, but there is a very small chance that you’ll succeed. If you don’t, the bleeding rate will quicken and you’ll die faster.
- Be sure to keep an eye out for chests. They contain useful items which will help you survive, like health kits, flashlights and toolboxes.
- If spotted, you need to run and try to break the killer’s line of sight. There are pallets that you can drop as well, which will momentarily block the killer.
- You should prioritize saving teammates from hooks.
Dead by Daylight Survivor Tips
Though the basics will be enough to get you through most games of Dead by Daylight early on, there are some additional tips to keep in mind while playing. Here are some Dead by Daylight Survivor Tips and Tricks:
- There is an audio cue that comes just before a skill check. Learn to recognize and react to it and you’ll be ready for a Skill Check every time.
- Certain high-profile actions, like running or vaulting will leave red scratch marks behind, these can be seen by the Killer and can be used to track them down.
- Have patience, we know that creeping around can be incredibly slow and dull, but rushing around is a surefire way to get yourself killed.
- Make use of the third-person camera to peek around corners before you move, the killer does not have this luxury.
- There is a red Stain that appears in front of the killer. It can be used to easily work out which way they are looking.
- You can get the killer to drop a teammate they are carrying by stunning or blinding them
- Killers gain speed over time while chasing you, aim to break the line of sight as soon as possible
Dead by Daylight Hatches
Other than using the gate, there is actually another way to escape the map. Hatches can be used to instantaneously win a match, but only appear under certain circumstances. A Hatch will appear randomly once all of the generators are repaired. It is usually locked and requires a skeleton key or a dull key to open. If you are the last remaining survivor, and are down to two generators, the hatch will automatically appear for you as well.
Dead by Daylight Survivors List
There are a handful of Survivors to choose from in Dead by Daylight. We’ve gathered them together into the following list:
- Dwight Fairfield
- Meg Thomas
- Claudette Morel
- Jake Park
- Nea Karlsson
- Bill Overbeck
- David King
- Kate Denson
- Laurie Strode
- Ace Visconti
- Feng Min
- Quentin Smith
- David Tapp
That’s everything you need to know about survivors in Dead by Daylight. We’ll be updating this guide as we spend more time with the game, so be sure to check back for more Dead by Daylight Survivor Tips.